Local History Guide
Mitchell County Local History Documents
- Miscellaneous Articles and Books
- Towns and Ghost Towns
- Miscellaneous Articles and Indexes
ARTICLES AND BOOKS
WEB PUB. DATE
Mentions many pioneers
Mentions many pioneers
From a Des Moines newspaper.
Mentions Mr. Gilbertson and Mr. P.O. Brenna
Mitchell County Press story and photo
49 pages, including 24 photos, maps, drawings, table of contents and an index.
Carpenter Prepares for Centennial: 1971
Article by Mrs. Roehr
Various & Sundry Names
James Hutzell, Kenneth Hutzell, Robert Hutzell, Howard Hutzell
Crosset, Vaughn, Beebe, Hall, Gaby, Shipman, Errington, Stewart, Shepard, Staley, Gooder, Shupe, Jacobs, Erger, Coffee
Sophia Ewertson, Louis Beebe, Vivian Galt Anderson, Joseph Sutherland, W. H. Davis, Bloomer, Bullock, Miss Zoller, Van Camp, Sutherland, Mrs. A. Woodley
Urban Marr, Dean Adams, Berdine Fink Lockwood, Mrs. Robert Sharper, Mrs. Alex Weber, Robert Doudna, Jake Grimm, Melvin Weaverling, Tom Marr, Juanita Overfeldt.
Mr. Vacha, Mr. Burghmaster
Bailiff, Balsley, Bamford, Beebe, Bensen, Burleson, Carter, Clark, Cole, Crittenden, Cutler, Dahley, Dieterich, Dodge, Fay, George, Gilchrist, Halvorson, Harlis, Harris, Hart, Hooser, Horner, Howe, Johnson, Kennedy, Knudson, Leister, Lesch Lewis, McKinley, Muller, Nadeu, Peterson, Richardson, Scheffner, Smalley, St. John, Stock, Sweney, Templeton, Tibbetta, Tubbs, Naden, Whitley, Willey.
W. W. Blackman
Eggleston closes Grocery Store - 1954
Mrs. Henry Boerjan and the Fair - 1961
Chuck Hansen & Gordy Cimmiyotti
Richard Townsend, William Bowell
Anita Sponheim, Lori Mayer
Diaz, Green, Cox, Coonradt and Martin
Jim and Art Onken
Mrs. Alan Rowe
Henry Lubiens, Henry Dahl, J. H. Olson, C. G. Gunderson
Wayne Christofferson, Fred Eichman, William Matthews, Blood, Weed
Jack Cooksie, Joseph Kingsbury, Hannah Brown, Anna Walker, Flora Bush, J.D. Burger
Bush, Hitchcock et al
Mark McKinley, Galen Barker, Harold McKinley
Hans Halvorson, Clarence Halvorson, Mrs. George Johnson, Mrs. Carl Dahl, Clara Halvorson, Ervin Halvorson, Iver Dahl, Mrs. Lorene Davenport.
Eleanor Dieterichs Payne, Gladys Champion, Ruth Nelson, Emma Morische, Verna Tresemer, Kermit Kittleson.
Ted Horn, Jack Knight
Fred Symington, Marvin Miller, Gladys Ueker, Ed Libersky, Vaney Libersky
John Bertram, Hermann Dieterichs, Rev. Frederick
Rev. W. Belling, Darlene Bruggeman, Jean Hendrickson, Ruth Albrecht, James Balsley, Frances Bless, William Bowers, Vallejo Bullis, Jean Cleveland, Margaret Cummings, Louise Halvorson, Conrad Ide, Alfred Jordan, Bernice Kleckner, Avery Knutson, Viola Koether, Mary Lankebough, Hal McKinley, William Neeley, Rose Rosel, Kathryn Rust, Norma Schultz, Manda Schultz.
Homer Hansen and Walter L. Dieterich
Arnold Feldt, Roy Rosenberg, Elmer Nicholson, David Hollatz, Robert Jacot, Paul Hartwig, Robert Rosenberg, Donald Wrench, Harold Feldt, Howard Madsen, Fred Steinberg, Carl Belz, Ed Steinberg, Charles Hanson, Lawrence Dieterich, Slim Shaeffer, Ray Priem, Harold Gerlach, Bruce Gerdts, Lawrence Borchardt, Arlen Priem, Russell Hartwell, Bill Dieterich, Earl Hollatz, Richard Rosenberg and Robert Sherrard.
Waldo Wold, Albert Kerckhove
C. A. Peterson
Marcia McKinley, Steven Borchert, Cindy Novak
Russell Bell, H. Leibundguth
Index and images of book pages.
Bill Fox and the SR-71 Spy Plane
M. C. Press, Sept. 2008
Ernie Ottesen & World War II
M. C. Press 10/14/2008
Randy Gonnerman Woodworking
Globe Gaz. 8/2008
Bel-Air Drive-In Revived
M. C. Press 8/2008
Steve Beland, Lorraine Beland, Andy Anderson
McIntire Wind Mills 2008
M. C. Press 8/2008
New wind generators east of McIntire
Doug Roll and B-17 Bomber;
M. C. Press July 2008
- Cedar Valley Seminary in 1884, (includes many names)
- Cedar Valley Seminary, 1907 Class Photo
- Cedar Valley Seminary, 1908 Class Photo
- Cedar Valley Seminary, 1911 Graduation
- Cedar Valley Seminary, 1912 Graduation
- History of Mitchell Co.-1918 Volume 1 T.O.C.
- History of Mitchell Co.-1918 Volume 2 Index of Biographies
- History of Mitchell Co.-1918, Vol 1 Chapter 2
- History of Mitchell Co.-1918, Ch. 17-Townships
- ROCK CREEK RIPPLES - Osage News, June 13, 1895 NEW!!
- Burr Oak Township Centennial
- St. Ansgar Centennial Book.
- St. Ansgar at 150 years Article.
- Early Mitchell County Families 1956 Clippings.
- Death of George Robbins by Foss Fairbanks at David.
- Official list of Historic Places in Mitchell County.
- 1929 Gas Station Fire and Explosion in St. Ansgar.
- Index to 1883 'History of Mitchell and Worth Counties' Biographies
- Complete Index to 1883 'History of Mitchell and Worth
Counties' Surnames for Mitchell County
- History of Mitchell Co., 1851-1973 Surname Index
- St. Ansgar Telephone Operators.
- Gilmans & Gardners.
- Early Roads - 1875
- Rural School Class Photo, Circa 1897 Great black and white photo of a rural school, probably south of Mitchell. Several Tubbs children are in the picture.
- First United Methodist Church -- Short story of the church and Sesquicentennial.
TOWNS AND GHOST TOWNS
- Bailey's Wayne No. 2 SchoolPhoto essay on Wayne No. 2 country school, located in Wayne Township.
- Town of BaileyA short sketch about the ghost town of Bailey, located in Wayne Township.
- BrownvilleA nice sketch about the ghost town of Brownville, located in Burr Oak Township.
- Town of Bucknam or BucktownSketches on the ghost town of Bucknam!, or Bucknam Station, or Bucktown;
located in Burr Oak Township.
- Town of Cardiff (a.k.a. Leo)See Leo.
- Town of CarpenterBasically two photographs of the town of Carpenter
- Town of DavidA nice sketch about David, by a resident of David, Vivian Du Shane.
- Town of David - BOOK
A new book called “The Story Of David, Iowa and Vicinity,” by Vivian Du Shane, is now available (JAN 2014). The book has 49 pages, including 24 photos, maps, and drawings. It has a table of contents and an index. It is the most complete history about David, Iowa, available anywhere. Many local families at the time are highlighted.
Contact Neal Du Shane - email@example.com to order a copy.
Allow three weeks for delivery.
$20.00 + $10.00 P&H. Make check out to: Neal Du Shane - Editor
- Town of DixieTwo short essay's about Dixie, in Rock Township
- Town of DoranA short little sketch about Doran.
- Town of DudleyA couple sketches on Dudley, in East Cedar Township, on the Rock Creek.
- Town of Dureau, a.k.a. WapsieSketches on Wapsie and Wapsie (Durea), in Wayne Township.
- Fuller a.k.a. Strawberry PointA sketch about Fuller, a.k.a. Strawberry Point
- GilmantownA story of the family of William Gilman, of Gilmantown; includes Gardners and Naden's.
- GlendaleA photo of the plat map for the ghost town of Glendale. (160 Kb)
- Holbrook's Corner (Nelson)A sketch about Holbrook's Corner!, or Nelson, named after Nelson Holbrook.
- Jenkins CenterA photo of the plat map for the ghost town of Jenkins Center. (114 Kb)
- Leo, a.k.a. Cardiff
A small sketch about Leo!, or Cardiff, in Burr Oak Township.
Leo Plat Map
A great plat map of Leo. Click on the image to the right to see original. (500 Kbytes)
- Little CedarA significant sketch about the town of Little Cedar.
- Town of McIntireExcellent article about McIntire, in Wayne Township. Many individuals mentioned.
- Town of MeroaGreat article about Meroa, in West Cedar Township. Many individuals mentioned.
Another excellent collection of historical articles and tid-bits about Meroa.
Numerous individuals mentioned. From booklet by Gertrude Crowell, 1977.
Partially indexed in the Localdex index file.
Meroa Part 1 (indexed)
Meroa Part 2
Meroa Part 3
Meroa Part 4
Meroa Part 5
Meroa Part 6
Meroa Part 7
- Town of MeyerThe story of the Catholic community of Meyer; near Stacyville.
- Towns of Mitchell & West MitchellInformative article about the twin cities of Mitchell and West Mitchell.
- Town of Mona, a.k.a. HustadGreat information about the railroad town of Mona, named after Ramona
Johnson, but first known as Hustad, in Otranto Township.
- Town of NewburgThis is a nice and informative sketch about the town of Newburg.
- Town of New HavenSketch concerning the town of New Haven, in Douglas Township.
- Town of OrchardA sketch about the town of Orchard in West Lincoln Township.
- City of OsageA large story about Osage, the county seat.
- Town of Old OtrantoThe exciting story of the original town of Old Otranto, in Otranto township.
- Town of PennyvilleA short story of Pennyville, in Liberty township.
- Town of RicevilleThe story of Riceville, in Jenkins township, on the border with Howard County.
- Town of Rock CreekNotes regarding the very small community center called Rock Creek, in Rock Township.
- Town of St. Ansgar
- The story of the town of Stacyville, located in Stacyville township.
- StillwaterComments about the ghost town of Stillwater, located in Douglas Township.
- ToetervilleA story by Mrs. Clyde Roehr about the railroad town of Toeterville.
- Town of Wapsie, a.k.a. DureauTwo essays by Helen Shepard about the little town of Wapsie!, on the
Wapsipinicon River. Also known as Dureau, there is also a third commentary
- WatertownInformation regarding the ghost town of Watertown, in East Cedar Township.
- Town of WentworthInformation on the town of Wentworth, in Wayne Township.
- WheelerA small sketch about the ghosttown Wheeler.
MISCELLANEOUS ARTICLES AND INDEXES
- St. Ansgar's Blue Belle InnThe story of a beautiful Victorian style home in St. Ansgar, which is now a famous Bed and Breakfast. Built by Mr. R.C. Lubiens in 1896., and later owned by Hugh Carr, Duane and Laurie (Plummer) Kimber, and Sherrie Hansen.
Click here: Blue Belle
- Holbrook's TavernA great story about life at Holbrook's Tavern, in Holbrook, written by
Annie Sweney. Great insights into life in Mitchell County in the mid 1800's.
Click here: Holbrook's Tavern
- Boyhood Memories of OtrantoAn excellent article from the Mitchell County Press-News, Feb. 1973.
Discusses the weather, teachers, and outlaws like Jesse James and Cole Younger.
Click Here: Boyhood
- Fascination with HistoryA great article from the Mitchell County Press-News, some time ago, dealing
with not only the history of the county, but with the people that are documenting
and preserving the county's history. Click Here: Fascination
- Unsolved Murder in Osage TownshipThe story of an unsolved 1900 murder of a school principle
by the name of Evans. Click here: Murder
- 1875 - Illustrated Historical Atlas of IowaThe part about Mitchell county -- minus any graphics.
Lots of names mentioned. Click here: 1875
- Fort Severson - Indian FortThe story of Fort Severson, in Newburg Township, used to
protect the citizens against possible Indian attack. Click here: Fort Severson
- Civil War MemoriesA truly great piece of writing concerning the Civil War and it's effects
on young people of Mitchell County. Stop what you are doing and read
this story -- now. Written by Annie Sweney. Click here: Civil War!
- Pioneer Life in Mitchell CountyA very interesting essay on what life was like in the first few years of
pioneering in Mitchell County. Click here: Pioneers!
- Horse ThievesAn interesting story about horse stealing in the county.
Click here: Thieves
- Log Cabins of Mitchell CountyAn fascinating story about log cabins and sod homes of the county, including
specifics on some real log cabins.
Click here: Cabins
- Harvesting Ice In Mitchell CountyAlthough no names are mentioned, this story gives a great perspective
regarding life before electricity and refrigeration. Click here: Iceman
- Osage's First CemeteryThe whole story (well, okay, a good chunk of it) of the original
cemetery in the town of Osage. Click here: Original
- Township HistoriesChapter XVII -- Townships of Mitchell County from History of
Mitchell and Worth Counties, 1918. Click here: Townships
- Historical Table of Contents--Vol. 1From HISTORY OF MITCHELL AND WORTH COUNTIES-1918, Vol. 1
Click here: Contents (mitvol1.htm)
- INDEX TO NAMES IN THESE LOCAL HISTORY FILESWe have painstakingly compiled most of the names of individuals
mentioned in these local histories. However, the mitvol1.htm and
mitvol2.htm files are not yet indexed.
There are over 2500 names in this index!
PART LINK NAME RANGE 1
Abbott - Burroughs
Burt - DeFord
DeMuth - Gardner
Garland - Hendricks
Hendry - Kruger
Krulish - Michaels
Mielke - Pickell
Pierce - Skinner
Skutle - Tubbs
Tucker - Zolner
ADD YOUR INFORMATION
- Add Your's!If you have information of a local history nature, which is not
copyrighted, please email me so we can add it to this collection.
Copyright 2016 IaGenWeb