Meroa, Iowa - 1977

by Gertrude Crowell

Part 7 of 7


Transcribed by Deidre Badker



Part 1 || Part 2 || Part 3 || Part 4 || Part 5 || Part 6 || Part 7


Stroberg, Louis -- 95 Acres

Louis (deceased) and Winona (Adams) Stroberg moved here in 1950. They were parents of twelve children: Evelyn; David; Louis Jr.; Arnold; Carol; Sandra (Mrs. Gary Grandbois); Darlene (Mrs. James Wilkinson); Ida; Nancy; Christine; Elaine and Donna.

Louis bought the farm in 1950 from Richard Armstrong.

R. J. and Lela C. Armstrong bought it from Lars T. and Caroline (Iverson) Wamstad in 1945. They were parents of four children: Clifford and Tennis, deceased, Mrs. Ethel Guyette and Georgia (Mrs. Orville Berg), Osage.

Transfers from the courthouse are:

1906: L.P. and John P. Berge to Carl and Lars Wamstad

1910: Carl T. Wamstad to Lars Wamstad

About 1895, Lars T. Wamstad sailed from Norway and traveled to Nora Springs, Iowa. After working for his uncles and other farmers, Lars and his brother, Carl, who followed him from Norway a year later, bought 95 acres from Paul Berge who moved to North Dakota. With no buildings on this farm, they constructed buildings for grain and livestock and moved a 5 room house from the Dahley farm for a home.

A brother Andrew came from Norway to lived with Lars and Carl , the three operated the farm together. Lars married Caroline Iverson in 1906. Carl then went to St. Paul t o serve in the armed forces. He passed away in 1918 during the Spanish Influenza outbreak.

Andrew remained in the Meroa area until 1908, then left for St. Paul, Minn. In 1916, he returned to marry Mathilda Shoger from rural Meroa. They continued living in Minnesota.

The following are remembrances of Ethel Wamstad Guyette:

We walked to Cedar No. 6 school across the open fields regardless of weather conditions. Parochial school was held during the summer months, in the country schools within walking distance of two miles. We could attend two or three different sessions. The Norwegian language was mainly spoken until 1918, I could only talk Norwegian until after I had been in school for a while.

Rock Creek Lutheran church was reached by horse and buggy, by walking or by bobsled.

In 1914, my father bought our first automobile, a Studebaker, but used it only in good weather. I remember our first trip to Osage in the car. Georgia had almost severed a finger in our first lawn mower operated by my brother Clifford, age 5.

Recalling some of the events while living in this old house are: going to Osage shopping during winter months by bob sled; having pictures taken at a photographer; the days my sister Georgia was born and my younger brother (of course the doctor had brought them);

Walking to country school, and oh my, all the warm clothes we had to wear.

Our mother was a good seamstress and all our clothes were made at home on a sewing machine her mother had owned. Mother acquired a beautiful new oak Estee organ that she learned to use. This was the instrument practiced on for my music lessons for a year until we acquired our first second-hand piano.

In 1918, the year of WW1, we built a large square house with all the modern fixtures for the day. No electricity or REA in those days. I recall my father stating the little house in the back had to go, but somehow mother maneuvered around that and it remained in the woods.

Gardens were very productive and with butchering a hog and beef in the winter, this was our main food supply. I remember reading and studying by lamplight and saying our prayers in the dark. To go out for an evening was visiting the neighbors. We went to town for marketing, and church on Sunday. Sunday school was held only occasionally, attended Saturday school at the ages of 13 and 14. This was called "going to the minister" and ended in our confirmation. This was a very eventful day in our lives.

Nick's store at Meroa was a convenience for "trading". In those early times my mother sold eggs for ten cents a dozen and chickens for six cents a pound in trade.

Milking cows on the farm provided milk and cream cooled in the well house and milk tank. The cream man came for pickup two times a week, delivering the cream to the Meroa creamery to make into butter.

Cedar No. 6, known as the Erbe School, was our school through 8th grade. High school was at Osage but there was no bus transportation. We had to stay in Osage for the week. After high school, I entered nurses training and spent most of my life in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area. Clifford moved to Washington state, married and raised a family, he died in 1965.

Georgia taught school in Cedar and Rock townships for several years and then married Orville Berg.

Although this farm was 95 acres to start with, part of it has now been sold to Oscar Berge.


Tabbert, Gene -- 140 Acres

Gene and Carol (Anhorn) Tabbert moved here in 1971 when they bought it from Clifford J. Larson and wife Katherine (Norby) Larson. Tabberts have two daughters, Laurie and Krista.

Clifford and Katherine moved into Osage in 1969. They are parents of one daughter Elizabeth (Mrs. Laverne Skov) of Albert Lea, Minnesota and one foster daughter, Charlene Halverson (Mrs. David Mieras) of Mason City. Clifford was born here and he bought the farm from his father, Louis Bastian Larson in 1939.

Louis B. Larson was born here and took possession of the farm in 1889. He and Catherine (Nelson) Larson were married in 1892 and lived here the remainder of their lives. They were parents of five children: Elmer, Lloyd, Bert, Rosella (Mrs. Erwin Troge) and Clifford.

There was a small house here in 1891 where Bastian lived and in 1892 Lewis laid the foundation for his new home. In 1918 it was remodeled into the present home.

Bastian Larson was born at Halsnoy. Halsnoy is an island east of Leirvik. Leirvik is north of Haugesund on the west coast of Norway. It is located in Hordaland County and most people called the area Hardanger. There is a Hardanger fjord and a Hardanger mountain and the land around these features was commonly called Hardanger.

Research was done in 1983 to find Bastian's birth records. He was listed in the Fjeldberg parish register A5, Fol. 27b. His brothers and sisters were listed in the same register. His parents' names were not listed. There is a copy of this letter included in this book. His surname was Eide in Norway. Since he was a son of Lars, he changed his surname to Lars'son or Larson after immigration. Bastian was a fisherman by trade in his homeland. His wife was the daughter of a landowner. Their marriage met with some disapproval so they decided to leave Norway and immigrate to the United States. Besides farming, Bastian made caskets for the Rock Creek Lutheran Church cemetery.

The following obituary appeared in the Osage, Ia. Press News, April 18, 1906:

One of the pioneer settlers of the Rock Creek settlement, passed away at his home in Cedar township last Thursday morning, April 12, 1906. Bastian Larson was born in Halsnoy, Hardanger, Norway, March 26, 1826. In the year 1857, he was married to Anna Petersdtr Nordhus and they came to Fayette County, Iowa, the same year. The following year, they moved to Freeburn County, Minnesota where they lived about 4 years, then in 1862, came to Otranto Township to live 2 years. Finally, they came to Rock Creek, Meroa, Iowa to their present home.

This venerable old couple have had nine children, six sons and three daughters. Four sons have gone before. One daughter, Mrs. Lars Iver Olsen, died in Osage in the year 1900. The children living are: Peter Bastian, who lives on the old homestead, Lewis B., who lives on another part of the old homestead, Mrs. Andrew Shoger, and Mrs. E.E. Varo, of Wright Co, Iowa. Also his aged wife, seventeen grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. Bastian has 1 brother and 1 sister who stayed in Norway, 2 brothers and a sister who settled in Polk County, Iowa and 1 sister who settled in Wright County, Iowa.

The funeral was held last Saturday, April 14th, 1906, at the Rock Creek Lutheran Church, Meroa, Iowa. He was one of the oldest members of the congregation. He was laid to rest in the Rock Creek Lutheran cemetery.


Tollefson (Hadshaugen), Ole -- House gone.

Ole lived with his mother and sister in a small unpainted house a few rods south of Galen Docken's driveway, in the Walnut Grove woods. He was a carpenter and worked with Millard Williams. In March 1902, he declined the directorship of the Cedar # 7 school. He visited the school often. He was called the "Klokker" in the neighborhood because he led the prayers and songs and always sang in the church choir.

His parents lived with him at one time, coming from Wisconsin. When they died, Ole and his sister Tonetta continued living there. She was ill with asthma and raised a bush that had leaves she burned to inhale. This helped to relieve the asthma. Ole had to get and carry their water from the Docken well.

In this same area, the Tabberts from Grafton operated a rock quarry. They took rock on the south side of the creek opposite the Docken barn.

Obituary from the Press News, 1930:

Ole Tollefson was born in Hedalen, Valders, Norway in 1846. He came to America in 1872 and lived a short time at Black Earth, Wisconsin. After arrival to Mitchell County in 1875, he spent three years farming in Rock Township. A sister, Mrs. Gunborg Nelson of Britt and two nieces, Mrs. John Devine of Humboldt and Isabelle Hanson of Britt are his survivors.


Tourtellott, Jerald -- 141 Acres

Jerald and Laura Lea (Loi-Sutton) Tourtellott bought this farm in 1974 from Elmer Eidnes and they moved here in 1975. They are parents of three children: Sheila, Troy and Frank.

Elmer and Clara (Blockhus) Eidness moved into Osage in 1975. Elmer bought this farm in 1933 from his father Lars Eidnes.

Lars J. Eidnes was born in Lofthus, Hardanger, Norway in 1860, his parents were Johannes and Eli Eidnes. He came to America in 1882.

Lars and Ingeborg (Sponheim) Eidnes moved here in 1896, when they bought the farm from William Stelter. They are parents of six children: Ella (Mrs. Henry Wamstad); Della; Clara (Mrs. Peter Erickson); Lula; Oscar; and Elmer.

The farm was bought from the U.S. Government by John W. Dutton in 1856. There was a house here when the Eidnes family bought it. The present house was built by Lars in 1914.

The following story was written by Loren and his mother Clara (Eidnes) Erickson:

One of the first things that was done when this farm was purchased from William Stelter, was move the hog yard back from the house and make a better front yard. In the very early years there was much illness and hardship. To help Lars out, neighbor Lars Iver Olsen bought the mortgage and told him to not worry about the payments till things improved.

The Haldor Sponheims, mother's grandparents, lived on this farm for a time in their own little house. They were very devout and mother remembers them singing the hymns on Sunday morning. They eventually moved to the Sena Ellingson farm near St. Ansgar, now the Selmer Sponheim farm.

The present house was built by the Havig Brothers. Mother recalls the old man who laid the stone foundation (Chris Jenson from St. Ansgar) did this for so long that he walked stooped from years of carrying the board of mortar on his shoulder.

It was a steady stream of fellows from Norway that came in the early days to the farm.

They were so dirty from the weeks of travel that a tub was set out in the yard for them to bathe. Hours were then spent visiting to get caught up on the news of relatives and friends back in Norway.

An old couple, Tustin and Margarethe Finsand, who lived by the creek in Meroa, worked for Lars on the farm. They owned a small race horse and had him hitched to a racing cart. When it was time to go, the horse would be so anxious, there was hardly time for Mrs. Finsand to get it. She would be hanging on for dear life. They would be off and on their way before any good-byes could be said. Elmer remembers when this horse became too old for use, Lars took it to his farm, killed it, skinned it, made a robe and gave it to Tustin.

The choir director in church was Deacon Anderson from Norway. He was always so please with mother as she could easily sing the high notes. He would call before each rehearsal and say exactly the same words, "Clara, please, bring the first book of Frydetoner'. Then he would hang up, never asking to see if he had the right party or not.

Once, she and Olga (Brenden) Kirkeby- Christianson met Deacon Anderson on the road. It had been raining. He at once stopped to bow. The brim of his hat was filled with water and the two got the full flood of it. He also taught school and loved the old tale of the three goats that crossed the bridge one at a time. The troll that lives under the bridge comes out and he is told a bigger and fatter goat is coming soon. Deacon Anderson loved to tell this and seemed to enjoy it even more than his class.

The Rev. J. a. Urness was pastor at Rock Creek in mother's years there. Lars took up a collection for a new harness for Urness at one time. It was all set up during the service to be ready when they would go home. Pastor Urness simply beamed with joy at his much needed gift. Whenever they came to call on a family at a farm, a can of cream for their family and oats for the horse was placed in the buggy. The Urness family lived in Osage.

Mother attended the Erbe country school, 1 1/4 miles west of the farm. Her teachers were Nellie Hovelson and Elsie Dale. At mid-point, they would often stop at the house of Paul and Martha Paulson on the corner - just north of the Orlando Lindley farm. There were two small houses there at that time.

At the farm sale of John Olson, who was moving to California, our parents bought the reed organ for $100. It was of golden oak and had many brackets for pictures and mirrors in the recesses. Mother took piano lessons from Lillian Lesch, who came out to the country in horse and buggy for a time. Lillian charged 50 cents a lesson.

Georgia (Moe) Gibson was one of mother's best friends, their family farms adjoined each other (now the Greiner) farm.

The men and women sat separately at the church services in the early days, men on one side, women and children on the other. There was much running from one side to the other by all the children. Food was taken along for the children since the service was so long. The custodian finally stated at a yearly meeting it was too much to clean up after each service and he thought it should stop.

Lars often had to pump the pipe organ. On Sunday they never got home until late in the afternoon because the men gathered in the horse barn to talk and the ladies outside the church were waiting for the men to come with the horse and buggy. Mother recalls their surrey that was bought new, they were so proud of it.

When automobiles were first seen, the thing they dreaded the most on the road was to meet one, as the horses were scared of them. Mother says they had to stop and hold the horses until the car had safely passed by.

Another thing they dreaded were the gypsies that traveled the countryside in the early days. These people would come and spread out over the entire farm, stealing all they could lay their hands on.


Westling, Keith -- 141 Acres

Keith and Mildred (Sampson) Westling moved to this farm in 1954. They bought the farm in 1976 from Keith's mother, Mildred (Mrs. Stanley Williams). They have three children: Barbara, Karen and Jeff.

Gustave Millard and Bertha (Peterson Alm) Williams bought the William Oleson farm in 1914 from his brother, Peter Williams. Gustave and Bertha's children were: Chester, Bessie, Homer, Stanley and Laura Clarissa (Mrs. Lawrence Olsen). Gustav also helped build the Osage Lutheran Church in Osage, Iowa. This church was started by members of the Rock Creek Church and other Lutherans that lived in Osage and wanted a church in town. Gustav became a charter member of this church. It's name was later changed to Our Savior's Lutheran.

They moved to that farm and lived later, after Mr. and Mrs. William Oleson had passed away.

The following is the obituary for G.M. Williams from the Osage Press News:

G. M. Williams, one of the best known and substantial farmers of the Rock Creek community, passed away at the Savre hospital Tuesday, after an illness of short duration. He became ill with influenza February 22, and this, with a weak heart, made recovery impossible when he suffered a ruptured appendix.

Gustave Millard Williams was born on the old Williams homestead, Cedar township, Mitchell County, Iowa, January 16, 1872.

With the exception of one year in Osage, and a few years in Meroa, he spent his whole life on his native farm place, working as a farmer and carpenter.

On January 22, 1893, he was married to Miss Bertha Peterson, of Orchard, who with the following children survive: Stanley and Chester and Clarice, all of this community. There is also a brother and a sister, Peter Williams and Laura Williams, both of Crookston, Minnesota, and a half-brother, Hellic Benson of Edmore, North Dakota.

Gustave was baptized and confirmed in the Rock Creek Lutheran church and has continued as a member until the time of his death. It is worthy of notice that he had charge of the remodeling of the Rock Creek church edifice.

Funeral services were conducted by the Rev. O. C. Myhre at the Rock Creek Lutheran church today, Thursday, and interment was made in the Rock Creek Lutheran cemetery.

Next follows Bertha's obituary:

Mrs. Bertha Williams, who had spent her entire married life in the Rock Creek vicinity, died Friday as she was preparing to accompany the family to Osage. She died immediately.

Mrs. Bertha Williams was born in Hadeland, Norway, December 2, 1867, of parents: Hans and Ingeborg Peterson (Alm). She was baptized and received some of her early schooling in Norway. At the age of 9 she came with her parents to the United States. They came directly to the Osage Community. She received more rural education in the Dudley schools. Up until the time of her marriage, she lived in the Osage and Orchard communities. She was confirmed May 22, 1882, in the Rock Creek Lutheran church by the Rev. Johan Olsen. On June 22, 1893, she was united in marriage with Gustav Millard Williams of near Osage, and to this union were born five children.

Those preceding her in death were her husband; two sons, Homer and Chester; and one daughter, Bessie May, who died in infancy.

For the past year Mrs. Williams had been in failing health, although she had been up and about all of the time. Because of not being well, she had been forced to become less active. Last Friday as she was getting ready to accompany the family to town she was suddenly stricken and passed away almost instantly at about 3:30 in the afternoon.

There remain to mourn her death two of her children, a daughter, Clarice and a son, Stanley, with whom she lived; seven grandchildren and one great-grandchild; besides a host of other relatives and friends.

Her entire married life was spent in and around the Rock Creek community. She was especially active in her church. She has been given credit of taking the initiative in starting the Missionary Sewing Circle of the Ladies Aid.

The funeral was held Monday afternoon at 1:15 at the Champion funeral home and 2:00 p.m. at the Rock Creek church, with the Rev. C. Blaine Gunderson in charge. Pallbearers were: Edwin Maakestad, John Maakestad, Olvin Moe, Edward Moe, Theodore Finsand, and Herbert Johnson.

This farm was owned in the later 1890's by William Oleson and his wife, Sigrid (Sarah Gunderson). It is not known when William immigrated to Iowa from Norway. His children changed their last names from Oleson to Williams, a shortened version of "Williams' son", after they came to America. In his wife's obituary, his name is given as Williams Olson Reisetter.

His obituary from the Osage News, January 31, 1895:

Monday morning the people in this community were shocked by the serious news that William Olsen (sometimes known as William Roisetter) had come to his death suddenly by falling down the stairway the previous night. As far as your correspondent has been able to learn, it seems that Mr. Olsen and his only daughter were the only ones at home. At about 8:30, or possibly a little later, he was going outdoors and in going through an entry, or hall, where an open door led to the cellar stairway which was built of stone, he must have lost his way and stumbled towards the stairway and fell over going down head first. His daughter heard the noise and ran to see but soon found her father dead, having broken the skull and otherwise injured himself. The neighbors were soon summoned, but too late, for life was already extinct. Mr. Olsen was one of the early settlers in this township having come here about forty years ago. he was a quiet and always helping neighbor, and an industrious and well-to-do farmer. He was past 78 years when he died. This is surely a hard blow for the remaining family and the entire community sympathizes with them. The remains will be buried Friday at the Norwegian Lutheran church cemetery.

And, finally, the obituary for William's wife Sigrid, found in the Osage Journal/Mitchell County Press, November 19, 1913:

Sigrid (Gunderson) Williams was born in Norway, March 8th, 1838, where she was baptized and confirmed. She came to this country with her parents in the summer of 1858 and settled near St. Ansgar, Iowa where she lived for eight years.

In the spring of 1866, she was united in marriage to William Olson Reisetter, who at that time had his home in the Rock Creek settlement near Norwegian Lutheran church. From that time on, she has lived on this place with exception of the last five years when she lived near Fisher, Minnesota.

She had six children, one son, George, died in the prime of manhood. Her husband died 19 years ago. Four sons and one daughter survive her. Helleck lives at Edmore, North Dakota. George Moller (Millard) resides on the home farm; Peter, Carl and Laura lived with their mother near Fisher, Minnesota. Ten grandchildren and four great grandchildren also survive her.

She died at the home near Fisher, Minnesota on November 10th, at the age of 75 years, 8 months, 2 days. In the afternoon November 11th, a service was held at the home in Minnesota, conducted by Rev. A. Peterson, of Fisher. She was brought home to Rock Creek for burial. Her children arrived at Osage with the remains on Wednesday evening, November 12th.

The funeral services were held at the home and in the Rock Creek Lutheran church, Friday afternoon, November 14th. All her children were present. Those who attended from the distance were her sister-in-law, Mrs. Erick Gunderson, Gustav Gunderson of St. Ansgar and their sister, Mrs. Beck from Meltonville, Iowa. Mrs. Williams was laid to rest beside her husband and son in the Lutheran cemetery near the church.


Williams, Gustave Millard -- House is gone.

This house was located east of the present Dean and Marvin Johnson home, on the north side of the road, east of the bend in the road that goes from the Rudd road to the RCLC church. Mrs. Gustave Millard Williams (Bertha's) parents lived there also. Their last name was Peterson Alms. Katherine Larson remembers walking past their house as a child, on her way to church or school, with her sister. They would stop sometimes for a drink of water and Bertha would often give them a large sugar cookie.

Hans Erickson, a painter, lived here in the 1920's.

Albert Wilks bought the house and moved it to the present Kenneth Ahrens farm in the 1920's.

The house was built by Millard Williams in 1900 and was first located across from the store in Meroa. Clarice Olsen told how men from Mitchell moved it using rollers and horses when she was just seven years old. The year was 1905. The men had to stay overnight in the field south of the Dean Johnson farm home. Clarice pretended she was sick so she could stay home from school that day and get to watch all the excitement.



The following are the captions for photographs featured in the Meroa booklet, listed by page number.


2: Nick Peterson' store with his home in background and creamery house to the left.

4: Meroa Band - Members were Stanley Williams, Fritz & George Muller, George Burges, Herb Muller, George Walter (director), Ed Koch, Oswald Johnson, Bert Johnson, Homer Williams. Alvin Koch, Ernie Meister, Walter Muller, Albert Muller. The band played for their own enjoyment and at many picnics.

7: Charles, Olava, Marion and Nick Peterson in front of their home in 1926.

8: Oliver Haugen's blacksmith shop. Rock Creek cemetery gate and arch.

9: Orin Krogstad separating when employed by Matilda Norby in 1929.

10: The town sports inside the Meroa store: Nick Peterson, Millard Williams, Martin Finsand, Hugo Johnson, Christian Finsand and Oliver Haugen.

15: Cutting oats in 1925: Lawrence Olsen, Hjalmer Norby, Ted and Pete Finsand.

15 - 2nd picture: Threshing at the Mathilda Norby farm, 1930: Chris Brenden, Rudy Anderson, Pervin Berge, Loren Norby, Howard Tingelstad, Lawrence Olsen, Haakon Rohne, Charles Peterson, Harvey Norby, Gabe Docken, Herbert Norby, Halvor Tingelstad, Kenneth Berkvam, Ted Maakestad, Orin Krogstad, Kenneth Norby and Herbert Johnson.

15 - 3rd picture: High flood water in Meroa around 1930, before the creamery burned.

18: Klemesrud Brothers first threshing rig, about 1896: Engineer, Syver K; water wagon, Martin K.; on machine, Herman K. and Harold; in front of straw pile, Carl Carlson; in buggy, Knud (the father). Others unidentified.

19: Rock Creek Church Parsonage

23: Walnut Grove school, Cedar No. 7 in Meroa

26: July 1, 1902: School pupils: Gertie Maakestad, Homer Williams, Mathilda Olsen, Alfred Nubson, Clara Sorlie, Ted Finsand, Alma Nubson, Lawrence Olsen, Mina Field, Stanley Williams, Oscar Field, Gunia Nubson, Ted Maakestad, Oliver & Oscar Iverson, Helen Johnson (teacher), Gea Field, Ingvald & Pete Iverson, Clara Olsen, Oliver Maakestad.

27: 1914 School class: Thelma Johnson, Olga Field, Gladys Maakestad, Stella Maakestad, Lucille McCaffrey, Monica McAffrey, Iva & Mildred Haugen, Nora Johnson.

2nd picture: Carmen Huset, Harvey Norby, Inez Christianson, Beatrice Olsen, Beverly Billings, Loren Norby, Evelyn Billings, Alice Amundson, Marian Amundson, Lorraine Norby, Clarice Huset and Gertrude Norby.

3rd photo: Ruby Barker, 1916.

30: Lorraine and Gertrude Norby, teacher Borghild Sorlie, Howard Tingelstad, Kenneth Norby and Charles Peterson.

34: Spring 1938, school class: Lowell Olsen, Ardis Maakestad, Marvin & Norbert Johnson, Keith Westling, LaVerne Olsen and Merrill Johnson.

37: School class: Dean Johnson, Loren Berge, Sue Palmer, Jeanne Brandau, Mary Lou Klemesrud, Phyllis Hutzell, Jane Olson, Arthur Berge, Elon Dahley, Lois Berge, Marjorie Olson, Larry Warrington, Donald Hutzell, Wayne Dahley.

38: Rock Creek Lutheran Church, Meroa, Iowa

40: When the old church barn was turned so it stood to the north and south.

40 2nd picture: Andrew Schoger's funeral in 1918.

45: Docken farm

46: Log house on the Galen Docken farm

48: House where Carl Harms lived, recently torn down.

52: Andrew Schoger homestead: Anna, Clara, Ella, Andrew and wife, Betsy, Mathilda and Alfred, 1892.

53: Knud and Liv Klemesrud outside their home, completed in 1878.

54: Harold Klemesrud farm home in 1905: Cora, Lillie, Clarence, Harold, Theodore, Olaf, Ingeborg, Ruth, Herbert.

57: Halstein and Taran Norby homestead.

58: Ole J. Maakestad home, log house built by Ole and Kjersti Maakestad in 1862.

61: Christopher and Marit Nubson homestead.

62: Lars Iver Olsen home

63: July 11, 1920: Johannes Maakestad farmstead, Carl Pederson, Carl Jesson Sorose, John Maakestad, Arthur Oppedahl, Marie Oppedahl, Gertie Haugen, Esther & Gladys Maakestad, Evelyn Oppedahl, ira Nelson, Lenard Maakestad, Ernest Haugen, Nora Maakestad, Margaret & Arthur Haugen.




The booklet, Meroa, was compiled by Gertrude Norby Crowell.

It was published by the Press-News, Osage, Iowa; Paul Bunge, editor.

It was assembled by: Mrs. Sharon Canny, Mrs. Deana Chisholm, Kenneth Schmarzo, Neil Betts and Duane Hemann.