Mitchell County, Iowa - East Cedar Twp
This old town-site is one of the least known in the county. It was located on the north bank of Rock Creek as it flows into the Cedar River at the present county line between Mitchell and Floyd Counties.
Originally this area, including this town, was in Floyd County. In 1857 in order to help settle the county seat controversy between Mitchell and Osage, a three mile strip of territory was taken from Floyd County and added to the south side of Mitchell County. This placed Watertown in Mitchell County.
It was a stopping place on the stage coach route from Charles City to Osage. A post office and a store were established. The stage forded the river just above Watertown and proceeded through the Worseldine property and the present Rowcliffe farm on to present Orchard. Nothing remains of the town of Watertown today, excepting the official flag pole which is in the possession of Mrs. Hans Staff.
Reproduced with the approval of the Mitchell County Historical Society; from THE STORY OF MITCHELL COUNTY 1851-1973.
NOTES: In July, 2002, Vivian Du Shane visited the Ghost Town of Watertown. It's located approximately 1/8 mile north of the Mitchell - Floyd County line on the east side of Lancer. The present owners pointed out the remains of the original flag pole that are still visible. The original flag pole has been replaced with a metal one.
Please respect landowners property, ask before you enter.
Transcribed in July 2002 by: Neal Du Shane