Town of Stacyville
Stacyville Township, Mitchell County, Iowa
Dam and Mill Pond at Stacyville
The town of Stacyville is situated on Section 31 of Stacyville Township, on the west bank of the Little Cedar River. The village was platted in, June, 1856, by H.I. Stacy, for whom the town was named. Later two more additions were made, known as the "Townsly and Dyers Addition," and the "Stacy" addition. These plats with the original comprise the present village site.
The milling and water power advantages at this point on the Little Cedar River were good, and in 1856, Stacy
Brothers in company with the Rolfe Brothers, built a mill, which operated for many years. A saw mill was added and these operations provided flour, feed and lumber for the pioneer village.
Looking south at west side of Broad Street,
from Main Street, in early 1900's.
(Click photo to see original 163 Kb)
A post office and the usual stores were opened so that by 1883 there were 400 inhabitants and the following business interests were represented; a roller flour mill, one hotel, drug store, 2 general stores, 2 hardware stores, a tin shop, a harness and shoe shop and a millinery store. At this date there were three churches; the Congregational, the Catholic and the Methodist. There was also an active Young Men's Christian Association. In 1890 the population was 915, in 1900 it was 1185, in 1910 it was 1080 and in 1970 it was 598.
Looking nouth on Broad Street from School St.,
About 1915. Photo courtesy of Omar Toye
(Click photo to see original 160 Kb)
Today the following business interests are represented in Stacyville:
Stacyville Co-op Elevator -- Grain & Fertilizer Stacyville Co-op Creamery Stacyville Lumber Co. -- Lumber and Ready Mix Stacyville Savings Bank Stacyville Community -- Nursing Home Falks Nursing Home Stacyville Public Library Stacyville L.P. Gas Co. Stacyville Monitor & Review Walts Signs Painting & Decorating Baweks Shoe & Clothing Store Bawek's Repair Shop Duben's Clothing Store Durben's Saw Repair Shop Pitzen Bros. Produce Hatten Hardware & Gifts Gene Sales & Service -- Electrical Goods Dr. Robert J. Smith, M.D. Dr. Robert F. Walser, Vet. Brown Construction Co. Francis Brumm Repair Shop Gordon Welding & Repair Brumm Sales & Service Bissen & Son, Custom Work
Wagner Insurance Koster Insurance Mullenback Livestock "Lady Be Lovely" Beauty Salon Jerry's Barbershop Bills's Barbershop Hatten & Son Funeral Home Thome's Supermarket Stehn 's Grocery Store Home Cafe Cue Inn Cafe Pete's Dairy Dan's Dairy Brown Oil Company Standard Oil Station Charlie's Co-op Oil Station Co-op Oil Bulk MoorMan's Feed Ernies Radio & TV Huesmann Family Car Wash Theobold Implement Co. Dunkleber, McKinley & Folkers, Attys. General Telephone Co. of the Midwest Interstate Power Company
Reproduced with the approval of the Mitchell County Historical Society; from THE STORY OF MITCHELL COUNTY 1851-1973, and MITCHELL COUNTY MEMORIES 1946-1996.
LOCATION: Approximately - 465th St and Monument Avenue.
Please respect landowners property, ask before you enter.
Transcribed in July 2002 by: Neal Du Shane
STACYVILLE MASTER 071802 MCHS.doc