Mills County, Iowa
1881 Mills County History

Biographical Sketches
W - Z
Walker, Carson,
P.O. Glenwood; a prominent early settler, who was born April 27, 1829, in Morgan county, Indiana. At an early age he moved with his parents to Hendrick county. His youth was spent in farming and acquiring an education. At the age of twenty-two he commenced teaching which he continued three years. In 1855 he came with his father, Robert Walker, to Mills county and located where he now resides. The following winter he taught school where the Mickelwait school house now stands. He engaged in teaching the greater portion of twelve years, since which he has followed agricultural pursuits. He was married October 19, 1879, to Sally E. Phipps, of Mills county, who was born October 25, 1845. Mr. Walker owns a well improved farm, with good building and an orchard. He has served as township assessor, and is at present an efficient treasurer of the school board, and is esteemed as a good citizen. p. 691 Glenwood Township

Wall, Major W. R., M.D.,
This gentleman is a native of Knoxville, Tennessee, where he was born February 28, 1828. His father died when Major Wall was quite young, leaving him in the sole care of his mother. At a quite early age he moved with his mother to Marion county, Indiana, where he attained his majority. When fourteen years of age he was apprenticed to a shoemaker to learn that trade. He followed this occupation until the breaking out of the Mexican war. He enlisted in Co. G. of the regular infantry April 12, 1847. He was stationed along the Rio Grande, and did efficient duty in various capacities until his muster out in 1849. He then returned to Terre Haute, Indiana, and resumed his trade of shoemaker. While in this business he passed his spare time in reading medicine and law. In 1856, he was admitted to the bar, and during his legal practice he prosecuted vigorously the study of medicine. He also attended the Eclectic Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio, and in 1858, began the practice of medicine, which he continued until the commencement of the last war. At an early day in its history he was appointed a captain of a company of state militia, but soon resigned to enlist in active service as a private, April 18, 1861, in company I, 8th Indiana infantry. At the organization of this company he was elected first lieutenant. The company disbanded at the expiration of three months, but was immediately reorganized with Dr. Wall as captain. He was aide-de-camp to General Rosecranz in the battle of Rich Mountain, and participated in numerous other engagements, among them Springfield, Fremont, Pea Ridge, Little Red river and many others of minor importance. In the autumn of 1862, he resigned owing to ill health, and passed the year following in the practice of his profession. In August, 1863, he again enlisted as a Colonel in the Indiana Legion. He soon resigned that position and accepted a lieutenancy in the 9th Indiana Cavalry. December 9, 1863, he was promoted to a captaincy. He was in the battles of Pulaski, Florence, Athens, Columbia, Nashville, Reynolds' Hill, Sugar Creek, and others. He was afterwards commissioned a major of his regiment, and placed in command at Vicksburg and Port Gibson. He was mustered out in September, 1865, and returned home to engage in the practice of medicine. In 1866, he engaged in railroad building as a contractor, and in the following year abandoned this business and came to Audubon county, Iowa, and two years later to Mills county. In 1871, he purchased his farm and began agricultural pursuits. His farm comprises two hundred and sixty acres, well improved. He was married December 20, 1849, to Miss Elvira Scott, a native of Terre Haute, Indiana. They have had nine children, four now living: Mary L, Florence, Elizabeth and Edward. He was married a second time to Miss Harriet Allis, May 26, 1871. They are the parents of three children: Emmaline, William and Martha. Dr. Wall is a member of the Masonic order; and his life is an exemplary one, both from a moral and business point of view. p. 670/671 Oak Township

Warren, I. M.,
Farmer and stock raiser by occupation, P.O. Glenwood; was born in Lafayette county, Missouri, where he was educated. In 1853 he came to Iowa and located near his present home. He was married in this county to Miss Julia Stranathan, a native of Illinois. They are the parents of eight children: five now living: Flara E., Charles R., Edwin M. S., Wilbur P. and Clyde N. Mr. Warren is an active member of the M. Church, to which he is a liberal contributor financially. He enlisted August 16, 1862, in company B, Twenty-ninth Iowa infantry, and participated in all the fortunes of that regiment, as narrated in its history in this volume. He owns a farm of three hundred and sixteen acres of land, all accumulated since coming to the county. He came poor, and by care and frugality has thus gained an honorable competence. p. 669/670 Oak Township

Warren, John ,
Farmer section 3, P.O. Pacific Junction; born April 20, 1848, in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. At an early age he moved with parents to Maryland, where he grew to maturity. In 1866 he moved to Loraine county, Ohio, where he remained a short time and then returned to Maryland. In 1869 he came to this county. On his arrival here he engaged in farm labor, and by steady habits and honest industry soon established himself as one of the successful farmers of Mills county. Was married in 1875 to Miss Nancy Creech, of Madison county, Arkansas. They have two children: Clara C. and Clarence. p. 628 Lyons Township

Wearin, A. J.,
Farmer and stock raiser, P.O. Hastings; was born November 7, 1850, in the state of Indiana. In 1855 he came to Mills county with his parents, Josiah and Olive Wearin, the first of whom was born in Virginia, May 2, 1824, and the second in New York, March 21, 1828. His parents were married September 7, 1848. The education of Mr. Wearin was obtained in the common schools and at Tabor College. He lives on the farm with his mother, and conducts the same in a most able manner. P. 722 Indian Creek Township

Wearin, Andrew,
P.O. Hastings, farmer and stock raiser; was born December 6, 1831, in Harrison county, Virginia. In 1832 he went to Athens county, Ohio, with his parents, and in 1838 to Hocking county. In 1852 he moved to Indiana and in 1855 came to this county and entered 480 acres of land. April 19, 1857, he was married to Miss E. Cook, born March 21, 1857, in the state of New York. In 1860 he began to live on the land he had entered, but 1864 returned to Indiana, but came back in the same year. He is the father of six children, five of whom are living: Martha J., Edward O., Cora A., Bertha E. and James H. p. 722 Indian Creek Township

Weatherhead, John,
Farmer and mechanic, section 32, P.O. Tabor; born in England, February 21, 1832. His father died when he was quite young, and the principal part of his youth was passed in assisting his step-father, who was a surveyor, and in receiving his education, which he obtained in the common schools of his native country. He immigrated to America when nineteen years of age, and located at Cleveland, Ohio, and there served an apprenticeship of three years with his brother, Chas. Weatherhead, as a brick and stone-mason and plasterer, which occupation he followed for a number of years. Moved to rock Island, Illinois, in 1850, remaining there about one year, when he went to Clinton, Iowa. In 1868 he came to Tabor, Iowa, and in January, 1871, located on the farm where he now resides. Was married April 5, 1859, to Charlotte Goode, who was born in England, January 11, 1841. They are the parents of nine children: Lizzie J., Arthur, Frank A., George C., Anna E., Raymond F., Frederick J., Sarah E. and Hattie F. Mr. W. has been engaged in manufacturing brick since coming to this county, and has built many of the fine brick buildings in and about Tabor. He has in operation a brick-yard at the town of Randolph, and one on his farm where he now lives. He owns 135 acres of land which is well improved. p. 618/619 Rawles Township

Wells, Charles F.,
Farmer and stock raiser, section 36, P.O. Tabor; born August 14, 1836, in Lake county, Ohio, where he grew to manhood, attending the common schools and working on a farm. He came to Iowa in 1856, and located in Washington county, where he engaged in the milling business. In 1861 he went to Fremont county, and one year later came to Mills county. Enlisted August 16, 1862, in company B, Twenty-ninth Iowa Infantry, and was engaged in the battles of Helena, Arkansas, Little Rock, Mobile, Camden, Jenkin's Ferry and all the other engagements in which his regiment participated, and was wounded slightly at Jenkins' Ferry. He ranked as first corporal when discharged. Was discharged August 10, 1865, at New Orleans. Was married November 17, 1860, to Miss Rose C., daughter of Robert J. and Clarissa Collins; she was born in Rochester, New York. They are the parents of four children: Emma C., Ellis R., Lewis R. and Minnie F. He is a member of the Congregational church, and has often been called upon to fill the various township offices. He owns a farm of 120 acres, well improved. p. 618 Rawles Township

Wells, Henry,
Farmer, section 19, P.O. Glenwood; a native of England, born April 15, 1820, where he received his education in the private schools. In 1851 he emigrated to America, and located at Davenport, Iowa, where he remained eight years and then went to Knox county, Illinois, and resided in that county five years. In 1876 he came to Mills county, first locating in Glenwood township, and in 1877 located on the farm where he now resides. Was married March 29, 1842, to Miss Sarah, daughter of John and Mary Gibbs, of England. Thirteen children have been born to them, twelve of whom are now living: Mary, George, Henry, Susan, Hattie, Abram, Chester, Albert, Sarah, Ella, Charles and Minnie. Mr. Wells owns a fine farm of 100 acres, well improved. His oldest son, George, enlisted in the war of the rebellion when he was fifteen years of age; was taken prisoner at Murfreesboro, and confined six months in Libby prison. Henry, his second son, lost his right hand and a portion of the left one by the premature discharge of a cannon in Glenwood, July 4, 1876. p. 617/618 Rawles Township

West, Cassius H.,
Farmer, section 35, P.O. Tabor; born November 16, 1844, in Loraine county, Ohio. Moved with his parents when one year old, to Waukesha county, Wisconsin, where he worked on a farm and attended school until he grew to manhood. In 1865 he moved to Fremont county, Iowa, and in 1877 located on the farm where he now lives. Was married November 15, 1869, to Miss Julia Judson, a native of Oneida county, New York, daughter of Charles and Louise Judson. They have three children: Cora A., Albert N., and Rollo J. He enlisted August 10, 1862 in company F, Ninety-third Illinois infantry, and participated in all the battles in which his regiment was engaged, and was slightly wounded at the battle of Vicksburg, and was discharged at Louisville, Kentucky, in July, 1865. p. 619 Rawles Township

Weaver, M.,
Farmer and stock raiser, P.O. White Cloud; born April 27, 1833, in New Jersey where he remained until twenty-two years of age, and then came to La Salle county, Illinois locating on and owning the land where Marsailles now stands. He was engaged in mercantile pursuits for a time, and afterward in farming. He remained in this county about twenty-one years. In the fall of 1874 he located on the northeast quarter of section 13, where he now resides. He has added to his farm until it now consists of 245 acres, upon which is a good orchard and substantial buildings. His farm is very desirably located one half mile north of Strahan. Was married March 7, 1855, to Miss Sarah Hiler, who was born April 15, 1833, in New Jersey. They have two children: Emma L. and Ella F. He enlisted in company E, 153rd Illinois volunteer infantry, in February, 1865, being engaged most of the time in garrison duty. He was mustered out September 15, 1865. p. 656 White Cloud Township

Weaver, William,
Farmer and stock raiser, P.O. White Cloud; born November 15, 1830, in Morris county, New Jersey, where he remained until twenty-one years of age, engaged in farming. Was married December 31, 1851, to Nancy J. Van Doren, who was born October 11, 1830 in Morris county, New Jersey. They are the parents of eight children, five of whom are living: Joseph S., James E., John F., Charles and Howard. He came to Mills county in September 1857, first locating in the eastern part of the county, and after living in various parts of the county, finally settled on a section 34, White Cloud township, where he now resides. He owns a farm of 202 acres, well improved. He is also improving a farm of 160 acres in Washington county, Nebraska. Mr. W. is an old settler, and takes great pride in the development of Mills County. p.656 White Cloud Township

West, Nathan A.,
Is a native of Ohio, born in Trumbull county, April 10, 1808, where he spent the first twenty-four years of his life, and where he received a common school education. He married his first wife in Portage county, in 1828 - Mary S. Hulett - who died in 1835. In 1832 he removed to Missouri, where he whiled away six years, then moved to Illinois, where he spent eight years more; thence he was allured by the attractions of Iowa to its borders, and in 1848 he permanently located in Mills county, being one of its first settlers; in fact lived in the territory when it was a part of Pottawattamie county. He has thus seen this section of the state reclaimed from its native wilderness, and its towns grow up to their present dimensions and prosperity. Mr. West married his second wife, March 17, 1836, Adeline L. Follett. He had two children by his first marriage, one of whom, Mrs. Maria Kempton, resides in Glenwood. His principle pursuit through life has been that of farming. His farm of eighty acres lies in section 20. At the first election in Silver Creek township he was elected justice of the peace, and has continued to hold that office almost continually since. He has also held various other township trusts. p. 631 Silver Creek Township

Wheeler, Hon. William,
Retired farmer, Glenwood; was born August 18, 1810, in Bristol, Hartford county, Connecticut. At the age of seven years he was bound out to work on a farm until fourteen years old; all of his early life was passed as a farm hand except about six months when he was going to school, this being all the schooling he ever received. In 1827, he, in company with a brother, went to Onandaga county, New York, and engaged in farming until 1831, when he purchased a farm in St. Joseph county, Michigan, residing on it for thirty-three years. Mr. Wheeler was a delegate to the state convention which met in Michigan in 1854, having for its object the formation of an anti-slavery party and was a member of the committee which adopted the resolutions and platform of what afterwards was known as the republican party. Besides having held a number of minor public offices he served from 1860 until 1864 as member of the legislature and was instrumental in securing the passage of many bills of public interest. In the latter year he removed to Mills county, Iowa, locating at Glenwood, where he has ever since enjoyed the respect of his neighbors. On July 16, 1831, he was united in matrimony with Phebe D. Makyers of Onondaga county, New York. As a result of this union they have ten living children: Daniel H., William B., C. S., Sibyl J., Clarrissa, Thede M., Mary P., Rhoda H., Zara R. and Jessie F. As a business man he has been very successful having given each of his children good farms besides retaining a competency for himself in his old age. p. 690/691 Glenwood Township

White, William G.,
Farmer and stock raiser, section 4, P.O. Hillsdale; born in county Kent, England, January 26, 1847. His parents immigrated to America when he was four years old, and located in Ohio, where he remained until nine years of age, and then went to Clark county, Missouri. In 1862 he came to Mills county and located at Louden (now Hillsdale), and with the exception of one year, spent in Fremont county, has resided here continuously ever since. His parents came to this county in 1862, and remained here until their demise; the mother having died in 1865, and the father in 1874. Was married September 5, 1875, to Miss Alice E., daughter of James and Martha Hardy. they are the parents of two children: Byron A. and Thomas W. He has a good farm of 206 acres in a fine state of cultivation, and well adapted to the raising of stock. p. 619 Rawles Township

Wiles, Luke,
Farmer and stock raiser, section 5, P.O. Glenwood; born in Sarah county, North Carolina, February 5, 1819. He soon after came with his parents to Henry county, Indiana, where he grew to manhood working on the farm and attending the public and private schools. In 1840 he immigrated to Andrew county, Missouri, where he was engaged in farming and running a saw-mill, which he operated until 1851, when he came to this county and resumed farming, which occupation he has continued to the present time. Was married November 14, 1842, to Miss Lucinda Hartman, a native of North Carolina. They are the parents of ten childrn, eight of whom are now living; Daniel, Thomas, Nancy E., Sarah E., Charles L., William R., John Q., and Frances R. Mr. Wiles and his wife are members of the United Brethren church, Mr. Wiles having been a class-leader in that denomination for the past twenty years. He is one of the first settlers of the county and has been elected to several township offices of trust, this showing the esteem in which he is held by his neighbors. He owns a farm of 260 acres, well improved. p. 619/620 Rawles Township

Wilkinson, H. A.,
Farmer, P.O. Malvern; was born in the month of September, 1846, in Cass county, Michigan. He there resided twenty-three years, attending the common school and the Edwardsburg academy, a portion of the earlier years. In 1869 he came to this county, and became a permanent resident. In May, 1873, he married Miss S. L. Edson, of this county but formerly of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. They became the parents of two children: Leonard E. and Ray. Mr. W. is held in high esteem by his neighbors and friends. He is enterprising, thrifty and energetic, and well worthy the confidence he enjoys.

Williams, A. Warren,
Farmer, section 30, P.O. Tabor; born December 22, 1836 in Christian county, Kentucky. Moved with his parents when three years old to Cedar county, Missouri, and there grew to manhood, attending school and working on a farm. Came with his parents to Iowa, in July, 1852, and located in Fremont county, remaining there until 1862 and came to Rawles township in 1863. Was married July 2, 1863, to Miss Sarah, daughter of Elijah and Eliza Lane. She was born in Boone county, Indiana. They are the parents of five children, three of whom are now living: Eliza J., Samantha C. and Nora M. They are members of the Christian Church, and Mr. Williams has been especially identified with that denomination, and has taken a deep interest in the schools of the township. His father was born in Christian county, Kentucky, and came to Mills county, Iowa in 1850. He was married to Miss Caudis Brewer of Christian county, Kentucky, by whom he was the father of seventeen children: Nancy C., America, Elizabeth G., Absolom W., Keziah M., Thomas B., Martha C., Alfred J., Elvira M., Mary A., Tabitha E., Urbin F., James J., William F., John W., Larkin P. and David M. The father died in 1874, and the mother in 1876.

Williams, Judge J. F.,
Farmer and proprietor of Phoenix Mills, section 22, P.O. Glenwood; born July 22, 1822, in Franklin county, West Virginia. While yet a child he moved with his parents to Clay county, Missouri. He attended the pioneer subscription schools, and when large enough assisted his father in operating a ferry on the Missouri river. He remained in Clay county until nineteen years of age and then went to St. Louis, and obtained a position in a lumber yard, remaining one year and then went to Holt county, Missouri, and took up a claim in the district known as the Platte Purchase. He enlisted July 4, 1847, in company C, of the Oregon battalion, Captain James Craig, and under command of Col. Ludwig Powell. He did faithful service during the war with Mexico, until November 8, 1848, when he was discharged at Ft. Leavenworth. April 29, 1849, he started on an overland trip to California. While on this journey he measured the distance by means of a roadometer attached to the wagon wheel, and collected other valuable information, with the view of publishing a guide book, but sold his manuscript to Captain Belknap, who published it with success. He came to Iowa in 1862, locating in Fremont county. In 1864 he went to Nebraska City and engaged in the mercantile business, where he remained one year, and then came to this county, locating in Lyons township. In 1867 he purchased the Phoenix Mills, and one year later settled on the farm in connection with the mill. He owns two farms, consisting of 360 acres, both well improved. Was married February 16, 1845, to Miss Sarah Keeney, a native of Tennessee, by whom he is the father of one child, Sarah. Mrs. Williams died in December, 1847. He was married a second time March 6, 1852, to Miss Nancy Minerva Dodge, of Marietta, Ohio. Six children have been born to them, four of whom are living: Lethy E., Mary A., Elvira E. and John F. Mrs. Williams died in December, 1867. Judge Williams is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and also of the Christian church, in which denomination he has been an elder for the past twelve years. He has filled numerous official positions, being three times elected county judge of Holt county, Missouri. p. 690/691 Glenwood Township

Williams, Marshall J.,
P.O. Glenwood; a son of Dr. S. W. Williams. The doctor was born in Ashtabula county, Ohio, October 18, 1823; died June 8 1880, of dropsy. Among the professional and business men of Mills county, whose names appear in this book, none have been more closely identified with its growth and prosperity than he. He was ever ready to extend a helping hand to all enterprises which promised to be beneficial to the citizens of the county. As a physician he was very successful; answering all calls promptly, either of the rich or poor. The doctor was a self-educated man, having at the early age of fourteen years gone to Cape Girardeau county, Missouri, where he acted in the capacity of clerk in a dry goods store for seven or eight years, his leisure hours being passed in reading medicine. After taking a course of lectures at the Louisville medical college, he commenced the practice of medicine in his former home. In 1850 he returned to the college and graduated at the head of his class; a short time after this he removed to Council Bluffs where he resumed the practice of his profession in connection with P. J. McMahan, a prominent physician of that place. In 1865, owing to failing health, he gave up practice and located on a farm near Glenwood, leaving his former profession entirely, except when called upon to consult with other physicians. In 1856 he was married to Janet Grierson, a native of Scotland, the result of this union being two daughters: Rowena, and Sarah E., wife of James Record, and a son Marshall J., aged seventeen years. p. 671 Oak Township

Wilson, H. F.,
Is an Ohio man. His life commenced February 12, 1848, in Perry county. He remained upon his native grounds until 1854, when he came to Warren county, Illinois with his father, where he lived until 1871, when he moved to Mills county, Iowa, where he was employed as a book-keeper in the First National Bank of Malvern, for about two years. For two years he was also Auditor of Mills county. He is now the cashier of Page County Bank, at Blanchard. Mr. W. was educated in the common school, and at the Asbury University, Green Castle, Indiana. He married Miss Hattie E. Ringland, of Malvern, November 7, 1878. Is a member of the order of Knights of Pythias. p. 642 Malvern Township

Wilson, I. N.,
There are many men who have attained influence and are entitled to be remembered, and among them is this gentleman. He was born in the year 1837, in Cambridge, Guernsey county, Ohio. Ten years afterwards his parents moved to Gibson county, Indiana. His father was a skilled cabinet maker, and this trade Mr. Wilson acquired, guided by the experience of his father. In 1857, the whole business of the establishment devolved on him, owing to the death of his father. In 1865, he became a resident of Omaha, Nebraska, and engaged in the furniture business in company with a Mr. Behu, the firm name being Behu, Wilson & Co. In 1873, he disposed of his interests in Nebraska and went to Vincennes, Indiana, to take charge of a chair manufactory. This he conducted a few months and then returned to Omaha. In 1876, he came to Glenwood and became established in his present business with a stock of goods valued at $5,000. In addition to his business he conducts and owns a farm of something more than one hundred acres and raises on it some very fine blooded stock. The farm is under an excellent state of cultivation, improved with orchards, a dwelling and other necessary buildings. p. 690 Glenwood Township

Wilson, W. B.,
Farmer and stock raiser, P.O. Hastings; born August 5, 1819, in Lincolnshire, England, where he was raised on a farm, and engaged in brick-making. His education was of necessity limited to the district school. He came to America in 1844, and located in Richland county, Ohio. In 1845 he moved to Wyandotte county, in the same state, where he was employed as a laborer until 1850. In that year he went to California and in 1855 returned to the east, to the city of New York. He went to England on a visit, returning to the United States in 1856 and to Ohio. He shortly after came to Iowa and located 120 acres of land where he now resides. He was married October 21, 1856, to Anna E. Watson, born in Ohio February 17, 1838. The winter following Mrs. Wilson taught the district school near their new home in Iowa, to which they had come immediately after marriage. Mr. Wilson was postmaster for twelve years at the Benton P.O. Since his original purchase of land he has added 840 acres to his farm. He is a model farmer, as all acquainted with the condition of his lands well know. As a result of his marriage he is the father of ten children, eight of whom are now living: Frances Mary, Perry R., William E., John W., George C., Harry A., Etta A. and Bertha; two, Lucy A. and Anna Belle, are dead. p. 705 Anderson Township

Woods, Joel,
Farmer and stock raiser, P.O. Henderson; born March 10, 1832, in Pennsylvania. His young days were spent in going to common school, working on a farm, burning charcoal and working in the oil regions. In 1861 he enlisted in the Seventy-eighth Pennsylvania infantry, serving in the western department. He was in the battles of Murfreesboro and Chickamauga. Returning home he re-entered the oil regions. He was married August 29, 1867, to Sarah Burford, a native of Pennsylvania. Mrs. Woods was born April 20, 1840. In 1868 he moved to Illinois and located on a farm; and in 1875 moved to where he now resides. His farm originally numbered 255 acres, 32 of which have since been laid out in the town of Henderson. He is the father of six children, five now living: Jessie, Mabel, Walter, Alberta and Annie; Harry is deceased. p.705/706 Anderson Township

Wortman, Joseph W.,
Farmer and stock raiser, P.O. Hastings; was born March 18, 1839 in Brown county, Ohio. When he was four years of age he went to Putnam county, Indiana. When fifteen years of age to the State of Illinois; and in 1856 to Mills county, Iowa. At the death of both his parents he purchased the interests of the remainder of the heirs of the paternal homestead, and became the owner of the farm of some 400 acres. In the fall of 1861 he enlisted in company B, First Nebraska cavalry, which afterward became the Fifth cavalry. He was in the battles of Paris, Donelson, Clarksville, Sugar Creek and others. Engaging in the Arkansas raid he was made a prisoner of war, and remained a captive some seven months. His health being injured, he was, when exchanged, sent to the hospital, from which he was discharged July 19, 1865. He was married December, 1866, to Miss Amanda J. Dalph, a native of Illinois, born March 14, 1842. They have two children: William S., and Bertha M. p. 700/701 Deer Creek Township

Wright, Hon. A. R.,
P.O., Glenwood. Prominent among the many men of enterprise in this county, none are more worthy of remembrance than Mr. Wright. He was born in Putnam county, Indiana, January 20, 1829. His early youth was passed at home in the pursuits usual to farm life. In 1848 he began the mercantile business, following this for some six years. He then came to Mills county and located a farm in Lyons township, continuing there until 1874. He then moved to Glenwood and engaged in the trust, loan and brokerage business, which he still follows. In November, 1880, he moved to his farm in Center township, containing 420 acres of land, and ornamented with a beautiful residence of brick. Mr. Wright was married December 24, 1849, to Miss Sarah H. Webster, of Manhattan, Indiana, born April 17, 1831. They have by this union six children, four of whom are now living: Frank, Charles, Caroline and Fannie. Mr. Wright has held many township and county offices, serving his constituency with faithfulness and great acceptability. In 1861 he was elected to the general assembly, and subsequently to the fourteenth general assembly, acquitting himself as a statesman and faithful legislator. He commands the respect and confidence of the entire county, and is esteemed for his great generosity and the integrity of his character. p. 602/603 Center Township

Y
Young, Augustus L.,
A native of Iowa soil, entered life in Muscatine, March 12, 1856. At a year of age he moved with his parents to Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, where he remained until his sixteenth year, when he went to Fremont county, and thence to Malvern, Mills county, in September 1879. He received his education in the common schools at Mt. Pleasant and other points where he lived prior to making his home in Mills county, and at Tabor college, while in Fremont county. Subsequently he was a graduate of the law department of the State University at Iowa City, and there admitted to practice in all the state and federal courts of Iowa, June, 1879. Thus equipped for the battle of life, he took to himself, November 25, 1880, Miss Allie E. Wilson, of Tabor, to aid and cheer him in his struggle for position, fortune and fame. Mr. Young is a member of the law firm of Young & Garrigus, of Malvern, formed in 1879. He is a member of the Congregational church. p. 642 Malvern Township

Young, M. C.,
Farmer and stock raiser, section 29, P.O. Council Bluffs; born May 29, 1836, in Grainger county, Tennessee. When quite young he moved with his parents to Sullivan county, Indiana, where he remained until five years of age, and then went to Schuyler county, Missouri, where he grew to manhood. His youth was passed in acquiring an education and working in a steam grist mill. When he was about twenty years of age his mother died. In the summer of 1861 he enlisted in a company of home guards, remaining with them about six months. He then went to Arkansas, remained a short time, and then went to Falls City, Nebraska, when he enlisted in company F, second Nebraska Cavalry. He served with this company about nine months, participating in the battle of White Stone Hill, and also many important engagements against the Indians. In the following season he was engaged in farming and freighting from Nebraska City to different western points. In 1865 he came to Iowa, first locating in Fremont county, but soon after came to Mills county, and was engaged in farming about two years. He then went to Utah, and from there to Nevada, where he worked in the mines about eighteen months and then returned to Iowa, and purchased a part of the farm where he now resides. Was married July 14, 1872, to Miss Jane Wilson, who was born in Mills county, February 26, 1856. Two of their children are now living: John W., and Charles C. Mr. Young is a member of the Christian church, in which denomination he is a zealous worker. He has held various township offices, at the present time being justice of the peace. He owns a good farm of 160 acres. p. 646 St. Mary Township

copyright 1998-2007 Cay Merryman

Return to Mills County Home

Page updated on November 16, 2014 by Karyn Techau