Mills County, Iowa
1881 Mills County History

Biographical Sketches
O
Osborn, John F.,
P.O. Malvern, farmer and stock raiser, section 14, born August 11, 1815, in Fayette county, Pennsylvania. His youth was passed in working on a farm and attending the private schools of his native county. When eighteen years of age he was apprenticed to learn the trade of carpenter and joiner. He followed that occupation exclusively for fifteen years, and has worked at his trade in connection with farming, all his life. He went to Saline county, Illinois in 1837, and remained there about eight years, and then moved to Fayette county, Wisconsin. Came to Iowa in 1865, and purchased the farm where he now lives, which consists of two hundred and forty acres of good land, which is well improved. Was married March 10th, 1841 to Miss Eliza J., daughter of James and Mary Dunlap. She was born in Dearborn county, Indiana. They are the parents of four children: Sylvester C., Clara, Cora L. and Jennie L. They are members of the Congregational church, and have been closely identified with the interests of that denomination. p. 613 Rawles Township

Osborn, S. C.,
County auditor, Glenwood; was born in Lafayette county, Wisconsin, July 7, 1847, and resided there until 1864, when he came to Mills county, Iowa. His early life was passed on the farm. He received his education at the common school and Tabor college. In 1872 he went to Jackson, Mississippi, where he was superintendent of the state normal school until 1876, when he returned to Mills county and followed the occupation of farming until 1879, when he was elected auditor. He was married to Annie C. Gates, of Tabor, Iowa, November 30, 1868. They have four children: Walter G., Fred F., Bessie F., and Annie. Mr. Osborn is the owner of a beautiful farm of 120 acres, the result of his own labors. p. 682 Glenwood Township

Otis, George T.,
Blacksmith and liveryman; P.O. Glenwood, born June 2, 1842 in Washington county, Ohio, where he remained until eight years of age, and then moved with his parents to Parkersburg, West Virginia. When fifteen years old he came to Iowa, first locating at Burlington, and came to Glenwood in 1857. In 1858, in company with his father, he went to Colorado and took up a homestead, but soon became dissatisfied and returned to this county. Three years later he went to Montana territory, where he remained about three years engaged in mining, and returned again to Glenwood. In 1860 he began wagon making and blacksmithing, at which trades he had worked with his father from childhood. In 1878 he purchased the livery barn he now owns, and since then has successfully conducted both enterprises. Was married December 1, 1869, to Miss Florence Yockey, a native of Ohio. They are the parents of three children: Carl H., Donelland and Linedell. The parents of Mr. Otis were among the early settlers of Mills county. His father was successfully engaged in business in Glenwood for several years, where he resided until his death, which occurred in August, 1879. Mr. Otis is a courteous and affable gentleman, and as a business man contributes materially to the advancement of the community in which he resides. p. 681/681 Glenwood Township

Owens, James R.,
Farmer and stock raiser, P.O. Henderson, section 11; was born December 16, 1840, in Henderson county, Illinois, where he remained working on a farm until May 24, 1861, when he enlisted in the Sixteenth Illinois infantry, veteranzed December 23, 1863, and was discharged July 8, 1865, was in all the engagements in which his regiment participated, and with Sherman on his march to the sea. He entered the army as a private, and came out as a first lieutenant. His education was limited to the common school. He was married November 7, 1867, to Nancy J. Kemp, who was born in Henderson county, Illinois, December 9, 1843. In 1875 he moved to where he now resides. He is the father of six children, four living: Alvin J., Charles E., Mary E. and Fred E. p. 704 Anderson Township

P
Paddock, Charles H.,
First saw the hills of his native county of Steuben, New York, March 18, 1846. The same year of his advent in life he moved with his parents to Henry county, Illinois, where he remained until 1861, when he went out with the Fifteenth Illinois Infantry, as orderly for his father, who was captain of company F. Returning home in the fall of that year, he remained until 1863, when he enlisted in Company I, of the Ninety-fifth Illinois infantry, with which he remained until the autumn of 1865, when he was transferred to company K, of the Forty-seventh Illinois infantry, with which he was mustered out in the spring of 1866, at Springfield. He was at the battle of Durassey, also in most of the engagements on the Red river expedition. He was in the battle of Guntown, and was one of the seven who were left of the company; the rest of it being either killed or taken prisoners. He was also in the raid which pursued Gen. Rice through Missouri; also in the battle of Nashville, Tennessee; Spanish Fort, Fort Blakely and the capture of Mobile. January 4, 1874, Miss Minnie McBride, of Malvern, took Mr. Paddock "for better or for worse," and thus barring the "Mc," she became his bride. Little Sarah is the seal, the only seal, of that marital bond which makes it stronger and more sacred. Mr. Paddock was the second male settler in the town. He was educated in the common school. He, with his brother, John D., opened the first store in Malvern, and are both still engaged in the same pursuit. p. 639 Malvern Township

Paddock, John D.,
A native of Steuben county, New York; was born June 17, 1842. At the age of two years he removed with his parents to Michigan, where they made a short stay, then moved to McHenry county, Illinois. Here John D. remained until eighteen summers had ripened him for active life, when he went out into the central part of the state and taught school, which work he continued for some three years. In 1863 he graduated from a commercial school in Chicago. However, while in the college, he enlisted in the 134th Illinois hundred-day infantry. He returned to Chicago and engaged in book-keeping for about six years. From Chicago Mr. Paddock came to Malvern - then known as Milton - in August 1869, where he built the first building ever erected in that place, from lumber brought from Chicago, and wagoned from Pacific City. He was also the first postmaster and the first express agent of the town. In connection with his brother he opened the first store for the sale of general merchandise, and is still engaged in the same mercantile line in the same building. He has been the recipient of several official positions from the citizens of the town since its organization. March 1, 1869, he married Miss Helen L. McRae, of Woodstock, McHenry county, Illinois. He has an adopted son, the child of the Rev. J. W. Rae, late pastor of the Baptist church of that place, now deceased. p. 640 Malvern Township

Painter, J. A.,
Pacific Junction; is a native of Green county, Pennsylvania, where he was born July 27, 1815. He moved to Ohio at an early age, and there reached his majority, In 1842 he moved to Andrew county, Missouri, and remained until 1851, when he came to Mills county. He first located in Glenwood, and in 1857 went to Pacific City. He came to Pacific Junction in 1873 and engaged in the hotel business, keeping the house known as the Painter House. He was married March 22, 1838, to Miss Nancy Graham, also a native of Pennsylvania. They are the parents of nine children, four now living; John, Martha J., Libbie and Andy. p. 664 Plattville Township

Parker, George,
Farmer and stock raiser, P.O. Henderson; was born in England September 28, 1835. Came to America in 1854, locating in Wyandotte county, Ohio, where he hired out as a farm laborer. Was married February 14, 1861, to Lydia A., daughter of Hosmer and Sarah Richmond of Ohio. In March, 1867, he came to Mills county and worked a rented farm until 1871, when he bought the one now occupied by him, which contains 200 acres of good land, all under cultivation, with good dwelling and out buildings. During the past six years he has held various township offices and taken an active part in school matters. They have been the parents of eleven children, eight of whom are living, named, respectively : Sarah I., Ella E., Joseph H., George H., John F., Amos M., Adda L., Effa M. Those deceased are James E., Nora and an infant. Mr. Parker is self-educated, having had no opportunity to attend school since seven years of age. p. 704 Anderson Township

Parker, John,
Section 20, P.O. Silver City; a native of Lincolnshire, England, and was born in December, 1837, and lived at the place of his nativity for twenty years. Although he attended school but a short time he has, by application and observation, obtained a good practical education, and has a good, improved farm, of one hundred and twenty-five acres. In 1857, he immigrated to America, locating in Morrison county, Ohio, where he remained ten years, when he came to Mills county. In September 1861, he was married to Mary L. Johnston, of Ohio, who was born in December, 1841. By this union they have nine children, Libby W., Alice J., Cora, Emma L., Ida J., Harry G., Rosa M., Howard R. and Sanford J. Mr. and Mrs. Parker are members of the M. E. church. Mr. Parker is a kind father and an agreeable neighbor. p. 698 Ingraham Township

Parks, Sarah,
P. O. Randolph; born April 13, 1828, in Derbyshire, England. Immigrated to America when about twenty-one years of age, first locating in Jonesville, Wisconsin, where she remained about five years, and then went to Dane county, same state, locating on a farm and residing there until 1867. She then came to Mills county, Iowa, and settled on the farm where she now resides. Her maiden name was Sims. Was married April 11, 1849, to Alfred Parks, a native of England. Mr. Parks died January 10, 1864. They were the parents of seven children: William T., Emma H. L., Minnie A., James F., John F., Sarah E., and Henry O. Her daughter, Minnie A., is now the wife of Elias Antrim. Mrs. Parks has been a member of the Methodist church since she was fifteen years of age. p. 653 White Cloud Township

Parrish, A. G.,
Son of Gould and Mary Parrish, editor and publisher of the Emerson Chronicle; was born near St. Joseph, in Berrian county, Michigan, October 23, 1845. He lived in Michigan as a farmer's boy until his nineteenth year, when he sought a better education by attending school two years at South Bend, Indiana, and subsequently for four years at Evanston, Illinois, near Chicago, completing a thorough academic course of study at the latter place. Leaving school at this time, he engaged in the work of the ministry in the M. E. Church, continuing in that work for six years, and until failing health made it necessary for him to cease regular public speaking, and engaged in other pursuits. In December of 1878, he purchased a half interest in the Mills County Republican, published at Malvern, Iowa, and began editorial work. Disposing of this interest to his brother, E. B. Parish, he purchased the Emerson Chronicle and began his present labors on that paper March 1, 1880. He is instinctively and by education a Republican, and cast his first Presidential vote for honest Abraham Lincoln at his second election. Was united in marriage April 22, 1877, to Miss Belle B., daughter of Alexander and Rachel Blacklock, of Frankfort, Michigan. To this union was born Grace E, December 13, 1878. p. 717 Indian Creek Township

Parsons, W. H.,
Homeopathic physician and surgeon, Glenwood; was born in St. Clair county, Michigan, October 22, 1842. When he was about eighteen years of age he began the study of medicine with Doctor Padfield of that county, as his preceptor, and continued it until the breaking out of the rebellion. He enlisted October, 1861, in company E, Tenth Michigan infantry, and served to the close of the war. He was engaged with his company at the battles of Shiloh, Corinth, Stone River, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, Dalton, Resaca, Rome, Battle in front of Kennesaw Mountain, Peach Tree Creek and many others. He was mustered out August 1, 1865; having served his country faithfully for upwards of four years. Was on the medical staff about three years of his time of service. He then returned to his home, but owing to sickness contracted during his service was prevented from pursuing his medical studies for about three years which he spent in traveling as a commercial salesman. In 1868 he entered the Homeopathic Medical College of Chicago, graduating from that institution in the spring of 1871. He soon located at Atchison, Kansas, where he practiced until the autumn of 1874, when he came to Burlington, Iowa, and in 1878 came to Glenwood, where he now enjoys a large and successful practice. He is a member of the State Medical Society, and president of the Western Association of Homeopathic Physicians. He was married at DeKalb, Illinois, September 15, 1869, to Miss Lizzie C. Hubbard, daughter of L. Hubbard. She is a native of Massachusetts. They have three children living: Fred, Willie T. and Lula K. p. 682/683 Glenwood Township

Patrick, G. W.,
farmer, P.O. Malvern, was born in Coshocton county, Ohio, in April, 1833, where he resided until 1855, when he came to Mills county. In the following year he was married to Miss Roxana Lewis; born in October, 1832, in Delaware county, Ohio. He has held various township offices, among them justice of the peace and township trustee. His farm numbers one hundred and twenty acres. Adjoining it he owns a grist mill, and these two industries keep him an active, energetic man. p. 600 Center Township

Patrick, Robert,
Farmer and stock raiser, section 14, P.O. Emerson; born October 12, 1823 in Glasgow, Scotland; emigrated with his parents to America in 1828, and first located in New York City. After remaining in the city a short time he went to Rutland county, Vermont, residing there about three years. He then went to Washington county, New York. When about nine years of age he entered a woolen factory, and continued in that business until twenty-five years old. was married August 14, 1845, to Mary McDonald, who was born September 4, 1825, in Warren county, New York. They are the parents of twelve children, eleven of whom are now living: Ann, Charles, Alexander, Josephine, Arthur E., Mary A., Jessie May, Robert E., Frank M., Oscar R. and Willis. Came to Mills county in 1874, and located on the farm where he now resides. His farm consists of 240 acres, a good dwelling house, orchard and other substantial improvements. Mr. Patrick is a live, energetic man, and takes a great interest in the development of the schools, and in the improvement of stock. p. 718 Indian Creek Township

Patterson, Lee,
Section 29, P.O. Silver City; is a native of Huron county, Ohio, born September 4, 1835, where he remained Nineteen years, attending school at Norwalk, and a portion of the time engaged as a clerk in a store and a hotel In 1854, he went to Michigan, engaging in the wood and lumber trade. After residing in McLean county, Illinois, about three years, he came to Mills county and engaged in farming and milling a few years and then moved to Holt county, Missouri, and after a time returned to Mills county and again engaged in milling. In 1874, he located on the farm now owned by him, consisting of one hundred and sixty acres. In December, 1860, he married Miss Sarah A. Queen. By this union they have five living children: Delfina, Mary E., Rutha, John R., Lula M. - four deceased. Mr. Patterson has, by integrity and industry, through many vicissitudes, acquired a competence. p. 698 Ingraham Township

Perry, H. E.,
Shipper and dealer in live stock, P.O. Hastings; born December 14, 1836, in Wyoming county, New York, where he grew to manhood and was raised on a farm. His education was received in the common school, in part, and finished in the Middleburg academy. He was married September 6, 1859, to Cornelia A. DeWolf, a native of Wyoming county, New York born February 27, 1840. He followed the farming occupation until 1867, when he came to Mills county and located on a farm in Anderson township. In 1874 he moved to Hastings and kept the hotel at that place for one year. He then built a beautiful residence on the skirts of that town. He is the father of two children, both deceased, Augustus L. and Fannie Iowa. p. 718 Indian Creek Township

Pitzer, E. W.,
Farmer and apiarist, P.O. Glenwood; is a native of Macoupin county, Illinois, where he was born March 28, 1838. He there resided nine years, when his parents came to Iowa and located in Madison county. In the fall of 1853 he came to Mills, where he has resided the major portion of the time since. In 1859, however, he went to Colorado, to remain only some six months, but again visited that then territory, to remain a year and a half. He was a member of the 29th Iowa Infantry, Company B, and was in all the engagements where his regiment served. In August, 1870, he was married to Miss Sarah L. Wright, of Glenwood, Iowa, born in Putnam county, Indiana, in 1833. They have six children: Walter W., Eva J., Nellie G., Archie H., Phebe and Lalie. Owns a farm of one hundred and fifteen acres. His apiary is known as "Pleasant Hill Apiary." p. 599/ 600 Center Township

Pitzer, S. C.,
Farmer and stock dealer, P. O. Hillsdale, is a native of Macoupin county, Illinois, born in 1841. In 1845 he came to Iowa with his parents and settled in Madison county. In the fall of 1852, they came to this county, one year after its organization. He has resided on the farm he now occupies thirteen years. Being thus an old resident of the county he has noted its prosperity and growth in numbers, and enjoys the satisfaction of knowing that he has personally contributed to the same. He was married December 3, 1867, to Miss Alice Kelly, of Adams county, Ohio, who was born in December 1848. This union brought them four children: Grant, Clara D., Charley Lee and Russell K. Mr. P. and lady are zealous and consistent Christians, whose membership is in the Methodist Episcopal church. Mrs. P. came to Mills county with her father in 1854. p. 599 Center Township

Plumb, Robert,
Section 20, P.O. Silver City; a prominent farmer and stock raiser, who has held the offices of assessor and trustee of his township with credit. He was born in England in April, 1834. His youth was spent on a farm and in attending school. He immigrated to America in 1853, and located in Wyandotte county, Ohio, remaining there about twelve years, and then moving to Mills county. In 1860 he was married to Miss Jane S. Kenett , of Ohio. They have four intelligent girls: Sarah Alice, Iva Ann, Rose and Mary. Mr. and Mrs. Plumb are members of the M. E. church. They live on a fine farm of 280 acres and enjoy the luxuries of a beautiful home. Mr. Plumb is extensively engaged in stock raising. p. 697 Ingraham Township

Plumb, Valentine,
Farmer and stock raiser, P.O. Hastings; born February 14, 1820, in Lincolnshire, England. He was raised on a farm, and received only a twelve months' schooling. He came to America in 1843, and located in Richland county, Ohio. In 1845 he moved to Wyandotte county, in the same state. Five years later in 1850, he went to California, engaging in the mining and merchandise business. He returned to Ohio in 1855. He married Miss Frances L. Bland, April 14, 1856, and in the same month came to Iowa to purchase land. He bought 200 acres, being the farm on which he now resides, and returned home by way of Cincinnati, to find his wife in declining health; she died December 25, 1856. He came to Iowa in 1857, and established a permanent residence. He married Lucinda A. Gonser, March 14, 1861. Since the purchase of the original farm of 200 acres, he has added to it a total of 1,000 acres of land. In 1876 he suffered a heavy loss by fire, in which a valuable barn and eleven horses, with a large amount of farm produce and implements were burned, in the amount of some $6,000. He has been a member of the board of supervisors for four years, and chairman of that body for two terms. He is a man of great energy, full of public spirit and enterprise, generous to a fault, and influential. In church matters he has aided with customary generosity all worthy enterprises. By his second marriage he is the father of nine children, all living but one - Georgiana. They are: Hettie Ann, Fanny Jane, Francis Joel, Valentine W., Emma C., Ezra P., Edward J. and William A. p. 704/705 Anderson Township

Powell, F. M.,
Physician and surgeon, P.O. Hastings; born November 12, 1849, in Morgan county, Ohio. In 1857 his parents moved to Wisconsin. There young Powell grew to man's estate, and received his preliminary education, which he finished at the Ohio Wesleyan University. Following his graduation he taught school a number of years, during which time he began and successfully pursued the study of medicine. He then read with Dr. Priest, of Oakfield, Ohio and attended the Starling Medical College, of Columbus, Ohio, from which institution he graduated in February, 1875. He came to Iowa in March of the same year, and located in Hastings. He has built up an extensive practice, which sufficiently attests his ability as a medical adviser. He was married September 15, 1872, to Miss Louisa Newton, a native of Ohio. They have three children: Ida M., Velura and Orrin W. p. 717/718 Indian Creek Township

Powles, Thomas,
Farmer, section 33, P.O. Bartlett; born August 9, 1849, in Monmouthshire, England. When he was three years of age he immigrated with his parents to America, and located in Hancock county, Illinois, where he lived two years. He then moved to Wapello county, Iowa, and there grew to manhood, working at farm labor and attending the district schools. Was married in 1863, to Miss Rachel A., daughter of Matthias and Nancy Engle of Fayette county, Ohio. They have one son, William H. Mr. Powles served with credit in the state militia. His parents, Thomas and Sarah Powles, were natives of England, and died at an advanced age in Wapello county, Iowa. He came to Mills county in 1866, and since that time has been a very successful farmer. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. p. 627 Lyons Township

Pratt, S. A.,
Farmer and stock raiser, who was born in Cumberland county, Maine, in February, 1834, is a most exemplary citizen and an example of what merit and strict integrity will accomplish for men. The first seventeen years of his life were passed in the state of his nativity, when he became a resident of Lawrence, Massachusetts. He then learned the trade of a bricklayer and plasterer. In 1855 he went to Kewanee, Illinois, and in 1866 came to this county. In 1861 he enlisted in the 57th Illinois Infantry, and was in the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth and others. For a year and a half he was a member of the Signal corps, under Captain Howard. He was discharged at Louisville, Kentucky. In December of 1867 he was married to Miss Nancy McCoy, of this county. His farm contains one hundred and sixty acres. p. 600 Center Township

Prindle, Lyman D.,
Farmer, P.O. Glenwood; was born in Massachusetts, May 4, 1823. His education was received in the common schools of the old bay state. From that state he moved to Indiana, thence to Kentucky, and finally to Mills county in 1856. Subsequently to his coming he was married to Miss Mary J. Grant, a native of Ohio, by whom he has four children: Cornelia S., Charles D., Henry A. and Mary J. Mr. Prindle is another of Mills county's self-made men, having come without means, and gained a competence. His farm has four hundred and thirty-three acres. p. 669 Oak Township

Pruden, S.,
Farmer and brick-mason, P.O. Henderson; was born August 30, 1830, in the state of Ohio. He moved with his parents to Kentucky at a very early age. He labored at his trade with his father, and also at marble cutting. From Kentucky he went to Rock Island county, Illinois, following his trade until 1862, when he went to St. Louis and entered upon the service of the government as a teamster, in which service he continued one year. He came to this county in 1865. Was married to Phebe, daughter of Peter and Annie M. Eckley, January 17, 1869. In 1874 he built a grist millner Macedonia. In 1878 moved to his present farm of 160 acres, having disposed of his mill. He has one child, A. S. p. 704 Anderson Township

Purcell, Andrew,
Farmer, P.O. Hastings; was born May 24, 1818, in Nelson county, Kentucky, where he was educated, and passed his youth on a farm. When sixteen years of age he engaged in flat boating on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, which occupation he followed four years. He then followed the business of a pilot the ensuing two years. In 1842 he moved to Henderson county, Illinois, and engaged in farming, which profession he has since followed. In the spring of 1857 he came to Iowa, and located in Indian Creek township, Mills county, on the farm he now owns. In 1864 he was elected a justice of the peace, which office he has retained all the years since. Thus is evidenced the high esteem in which he is held by his neighbors and citizen friends. He is a man of great business ability, of strict honesty and sterling integrity. He was married June 28, 1838, to Miss Ellen Brown, a native of the state of Kentucky. They are the parents of fourteen children; Theresa, now Mrs. Samuel Scott; Samuel, Charles, Elizabeth, now Mrs. David Henderson; Ellen, now Mrs. George Boles; Dennis W., and eight deceased. Mr. Purcell entered a farm of 170 acres from the government when first he came to the county, and now has the same under excellent cultivation. p. 716/717 Indian Creek Township

Purcell, Samuel,
Furniture dealer, P.O. Hastings; was born August 20, 1846, in Henderson county, Illinois. At the age of ten years he came with his parents to Mills county, and has since resided here. December 25, 1863, he enlisted in the 29th Iowa infantry, and followed the fortunes of that regiment as narrated elsewhere in this volume. He was mustered out August 10, 1865, at New Orleans, Louisiana. He was married August 28, 1870, to Miss Sarah A. Cary, born August 5, 1850, in Delaware county, Maryland. They are the parents of three children: Marion E., Flora and Everett. Mr. P. is a member of the I. O. O. F. p. 718 Indian Creek Township

copyright 1998-2007 Cay Merryman

Return to Mills County Home

Page updated on November 16, 2014 by Karyn Techau