Mills County, Iowa
1881 Mills County History

Biographical Sketches
C
Campbell, P. M.,
Begun his mortal career the tenth day of April 1848, at Jackson, Michigan. When about a year old he emigrated with his parents to Canada, returning to Michigan, however, at about the age of twelve years, where he remained until 1865, when he came to Iowa, stopping in Dallas county until 1870, in which year he went to Missouri. In 1880 he return to Iowa, locating this time at Malvern, Mills county. He attended the public schools, and worked upon the farm; from which field of labor he rose to more responsible positions. He has been in the employ of the Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific Railroad Company for the past ten years, as an agent and telegraph operator, which position he now occupies. In Salisbury, Missouri, October 24, 1871, he married Miss Nora E. Ammerman. Two children make their household bright and cheerful - Ray and Edwin Willie. He is a member of the Masonic order. p. 634 Malvern Township

Carter, John,
section 23, P.O. Glenwood; the grandson of a revolutionary soldier, and a son of a soldier of the war of 1812; he first saw the light of day, March 3, 1829, and Tennessee was his birthplace. At a youthful age he moved with his parents to Fayette county, Indiana. His time was spent until his eighteenth year in agricultural pursuits, when he moved to Gentry county, Missouri, remaining about nine years. After going to Monroe county, this state, he came, in 1852, to Mills county. He enlisted, in March 1862, in company B, Twenty-ninth Iowa infantry, accompanied by his son, S.R., a lad of sixteen summers, and participated in the fortunes of their regiment, a sketch of which will be found elsewhere in this work. Mr. Carter was united in marriage January 24, 1843, to Miss Amanda Thomson, of Gentry county, Missouri, who died October 4, 1854. By this union they had six children, three sons: S.R., E. B. and I. L.; three daughters: Martha, Catharine and Sarah. He was again married September 13, 1855, to Mrs. McCoupin, of Indiana. This union has brought four children: D.A., James, Ada M. and P. Mr. Carter is highly esteemed by his neighbors, and is a member of the M. E. church. He owns a fine farm, well stocked and nicely improved, on which is an orchard of eight hundred trees. p. 675 Glenwood Township

Cary, Abel,
Farmer, section 29, P.O. Hastings; born November 23, 1821, in Shelby county, Ohio. Moved with his parents to Delaware county, Indiana, where he remained eleven years. In 1852 he came to Mills County, Iowa, and located in the township where he now resides. Was married March 31, 1844, to Elizabeth Stansberry, by whom he was the father of eight children, five of whom are now living: Melissa, Ezra, Emma, Viola and Effie. Mrs. Cary died April 25, 1873. Mr. C. was married a second time December 31, 1873, to Mrs. Irena Hoyt, from whom he was divorced in September 1874. Was married a third time November 23, 1874, to Mrs. Susanna Wheeler, by whom he is the father of one child, Frank. Mr. Cary received his education in the common schools. He has held the office of county supervisor, and is discharging the duties of some of the township officers the greater part of the time. He has been an influential man in his neighborhood for many years. p. 708 Indian Creek Township

Cattron, James H.,
Farmer, P.O. Glenwood; was born in Fulton county, Illinois, in 1839, on the 5th day of September. While he was yet a child his parents moved to Lafayette county, Missouri, where he matured and was educated. In 1853 he came to this county, thus becoming one of its early settlers. In 1868 he married Miss Mary E. Buffington, by whom he is the father of two children: Almira G. and Mary G. Both Mr. and Mrs. Cattron are members of the M. E. Church. He owns a fine farm of one hundred and thirteen acres. p.667 Oak Township

Cheney, Elihu,
Farmer and stock raiser, section 35, P.O. Emerson; born March 20, 1852, in Stevenson county, Illinois, and in the same year moved with his parents to Iowa, first locating in Pottawattamie county. His parents then located near Glenwood, Mills county. In 1862 he went with his parents to Utah Territory, locating near Salt Lake City. In 1863 he returned to Mills county, and his father again purchased the farm he had sold when he emigrated to Utah. He remained with his parents working on the farm in summer, attending school in the winter, until 1871. Was married September 17, 1874, to Miss E. M. Giddings, a native of Illinois. They are the parents of two children: Jessie, living and Chas. deceased. In 1875 Mr. C. located on the farm where he now lives. His farm consists of 160 acres, well improved. p. 709 Indian Creek Township

Cheney, Gilbert,
Farmer and stock-raiser, section 36, P.O. Emerson; born March 8, 1854, in Mills county Iowa. In 1862 he went with his parents to Utah Territory, and located near Salt Lake City. He returned to Mills county, in 1863, and located near Glenwood, where he grew to manhood. His youth was passed in working on the farm during the summer season, and attending the common schools during the winter months. He came to Indian Creek township in 1871. Was married in May 1878, to Sarah E. Snodgrass, a native of Pennsylvania, born May 26, 1853. They have one child; Ira Nelson. He owns a good farm of 200 acres, well improved. p. 709 Indian Creek Township

Cheney, Horace B.,
Farmer and stock raiser, section 35, P.O. Emerson; born April 24, 1850, in Stevenson county, Illinois. In 1852 he moved with his parents to Iowa, locating in Pottawattamie county, and one year later they came to this county and located near Glenwood. In 1862 he went to Utah locating near Salt Lake City. In 1863 returned to Mills county, his father purchasing the farm he sold previous to going to Utah. In 1865 he moved to section 22 in Glenwood township, remaining there until 1871, working on the farm in the summer season and attending the common schools during the winter months. Was married January 8, __, to Julia A. Giddings, a native of Illinois. On January 10, of the same year, he located on the farm where he now resides, which then consisted of eighty acres. He has since added three hundred and twenty acres, which is well improved with a fine orchard and a beautiful grove of cultivated timber. p. 709 Indian Creek Township

Cilley, Horatio G.,
Lumber merchant, P.O. Glenwood. Mr. Cilley is a native of South Deerfield, New Hampshire, where he was born November 1, 1841. He received but a common school education, and passed his early youth in farming. In 1863 he moved to Cleveland, Ohio and engaged in the lumber business until 1871, when he became a resident of Glenwood and engaged in his former business of lumber merchant which he followed until 1879. Adding to this business that of farming and stock raising. Mr. Cilley has proven his energy and business capability. He is now the manager of the Glenwood opera house, a fine structure of its kind, and with the erection of which Mr. Cilley was closely identified. He was married in 1868 to Miss Julia A. Harrington of Cleveland, Ohio. By this marriage he has three children, one only, Horatio G., now living. He is a man of influence and worth, a lover of nature, a genial companion and thorough business man. p. 673 Glenwood Township

Clarkson, A. B.,
P.O. Hillsdale; born in Franklin county, Indiana in July 1835. When seven years of age he moved with his parents to Henry county, Iowa where he received his education in the common schools. In the spring of 1859 he went to Mahaska county, Iowa; remained there about eight years, and returned to Henry county. He came to Mills county in the fall of 1876. Was married in November, 1856 to Miss Barbara Hains, of Henry county, Iowa. They are the parents of eight children: Mary E., Aaron F., John C., George L., Rosa J., Cora E., and Eva S. He is a kind father and a respected member of society. p. 595 Center Township

Clites, Solomon,
farmer, P.O. Imogene, Fremont county; is a native of Bedford county, Pennsylvania, where he was born June 18, 1846. When eight years of age he moved with his father's family to Blair county, same state, remaining some twelve years. He then enlisted in company F, 77th Pennsylvania volunteer infantry, and served for ten months, or to the close of the war. His farm of ninety acres is in section 36. He was married October 7, 1869, to Miss C. Berger, a native of Pennsylvania; born June 22, 1848. They have five children living: Sarah E., Isaac L., Anna B., Cora M. and Florence O. p. 699/700 Deer Creek Township

Coats, W. M.,
Grain dealer, P.O. Hillsdale; born in 1851, in LaSalle county, Illinois. When one year old he went with his parents to California, remaining there about ten years, when he returned to Illinois, locating in Jackson county. He resided in that county until he was 20 years of age. He received his education in the schools of St. Louis, and the State Normal school at Bloomington, Illinois. He came to this county in 1872. He was for three years in the employ of J. F. Evans & Co. grain dealers of Council Bluffs. In the fall of 1875 he formed a partnership with his father-in-law, Hon. James Mickelwait, in the grain business. They have built an elevator at Hillsdale, at a cost of $5,000, which has a capacity of 15,000 bushels. He was married in December 1874 to Miss Lizzie Mickelwait. They have one child, Alma. p.595 Center Township

Cole, Major George Emmet,
Justice of the peace and proprietor of Eclipse hotel; was born in Dublin, Ireland, February 5, 1839, His earlier education was received in the ordinary city schools, but finished in the famous Trinity college. At an early age he entered Woolwich military academy, and received the training of a soldier. At twenty-one he entered the British army, to engage in the Russian war, being enrolled as a lieutenant. He participated in the battle of Sevastopol, and other important engagements. He was sent, finally, on special duty to Greece, to remain five years. He came to the United States in 1862, and June 2, of that year, enlisted in the Second Massachusetts volunteer corps, and the rank of adjutant was soon afterwards conferred on him. He was in the battles of Kingston, Pittsburg, Richmond, Fort Fisher, Wilmington, where for gallant conduct he was made a major, Fort Caswell, Newberg, and many others. He was discharged September 3, 1865. In 1871 he located in Nebraska, and in 1874 became the warden of the Nebraska state penitentiary, serving for two years; he then came to Pacific Junction and has since resided here. His military record is doubtless the brightest in the county, since he is the hero of two wars. He is a gentleman of culture and ability, a member of the M. E. church, and an active, enterprising man. p. 658/659 Plattville Township

Colwell, J. P.,
P. O. Glenwood; is a native Iowan, and was born in July, 1844, in Wapello county, where he remained twelve years, when he came to this county, settling in Glenwood, his father having died twelve years previous. Here he engaged in teaming and in the harness business, and for six seasons was engaged in hauling goods from the Missouri river to the mountains. He was united in marriage to his wife, Jane, in November, 1874. He is located on a snug farm with a comfortable house and a good orchard of three hundred trees. He is a kind husband and a good neighbor. p.675 Glenwood Township

Conger, Joseph,
Lumber merchant, P.O. Glenwood; was born in Knox county, Ohio, December 10, 1821, where his boyhood and early manhood days were passed on the farm until 1850, when he engaged in mercantile pursuits and followed them until 1855. In 1856 he came to Silver Creek, Mills county, and built the first saw mill in that section of the county. In 1858 he removed to Ingraham township and resumed farming, which occupation he followed until 1872, when he removed to Glenwood and took the position of clerk in a store, where he remained until 1875, when he entered the firm of Hoch & Conger, lumber dealers. August 22, 1848, he was married to Harriet Wilkinson, of Cuyahoga county, Ohio. They have been the parents of one child, who died in 1875. p. 674 Glenwood Township

Coolidge, Joseph W.,
Was one of the earliest settlers in this county, and for many years identified with its material interests and prosperity. He was born in Bangor, Maine, May 31, 1814. Two years thereafter he accompanied his parents to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he grew to man's estate, and was educated. At the age of fifteen years he began to learn the trade of a carpenter, working with his father, who was master of the carpenter's art. When twenty-one years of age he moved to Illinois, and located in Tazewell county, near the town of Mackinaw, where he plied his trade until 1840. In that year he moved his family to Caldwell county, Missouri, where they remained about eighteen months, and having become identified with the Mormon church, were driven from that state into Illinois, and located at Nauvoo, and here they remained until the spring of 1846. Mr. Coolidge, during his residence in Nauvoo, was a prominent member of the church whose faith he had espoused, and was an elder in the same. At the death of Joseph Smith he was administrator of the estate of that noted leader. In 1846, as has been said, he left Illinois for the west with the remainder of the Mormon population of Nauvoo, and located on the present site of Omaha, in Nebraska. After a residence of some eighteen months at this point he crossed the Missouri to Council Bluffs, and resided at that point nearly a year. He then came in 1849, to Mills county and built what is now Gordon's mill, the first in the county. In 1851 he sold his mill and entered the mercantile business in the embryo city of Glenwood, as has been elsewhere narrated. Mr. Coolidge was long identified with the milling interests of western Iowa, and built several mills, all of them, however, not resulting in financial success. In 1860 he was appointed postmaster at Glenwood, which position he retained until his death, January 13, 1871. Mr. Coolidge was married to Miss Elizabeth Buchanan, December 17, 1835. Mrs. Coolidge is a native of Fayette county, Kentucky, where she was born July 1, 1815. In 1830 she moved with her parents, to Tazewell county in Illinois, and there met and married her husband. They were the parents of eleven children, six of whom are now living. Henry P., Sarah, now Mrs. Tinkle; Timothy, William, George and Mary. Mr. Coolidge entered the land on which Glenwood is situated, and surveyed the town plat. p. 674/675 Glenwood Township

Coppock, Jacob,
Hotel keeper and coal merchant, P.O. Henderson; born January 13, 1843, in Miami county, Ohio, where he remained, working on a farm and attending common school, until 1862, when he enlisted in the 8th Ohio cavalry. He served under Generals Hunter and Sheridan, and was in the battles of Harper's Ferry, Winchester, Cedar Creek and Lynchburg. He is a cousin to the Copposks that were with the notorious John Brown at Harper's Ferry. He was married December 29, 1864, to Margaret Tucker, a native of Ohio. In 1867, he moved to Vermillion county, Illinois, where he engaged in farming. In 1869, he came to this state and county, locating on the farm he now owns. In 1880, he came to Henderson, and entered upon his present business. He is the father of six children, all living: Francis S., Rollingo, Clara, Anna May, Ida and Albert Alden. p. 702 Anderson Township

Cox, J. H.,
Farmer and mechanic, section 1, P.O. Council Bluffs; born March 22, 1829, in Highland county, Ohio, and there grew to manhood and received his education in the common schools. He came to Iowa in 1857, locating for a short time on the farm where he now resides, and then went to Cass county and pre-empted a claim. In 1860 he made a tour of the western states and territories, mining and prospecting. He returned in 1868 and began operating a saw mill, which he still conducts in connection with his farm. Mr. Cox has served with credit in the capacity of drainage commissioner and justice of the peace. He now owns a neat farm of sixty acres, well improved, with a cozy little house and a thrifty young orchard. He also owns considerable city property at Plattsmouth, Nebraska. He was married in 1874, to Miss Adelia A. Clark, a native of St. Mary's township. They are the happy parents of one son: George Ray. p. 643 St. Mary Township

Croney, Charles A.,
Editor "Glenwood Opinion"; was born in London, Madison county, Ohio, the twenty-second day of February 1840. In 1855 he came to Iowa with his parents; they located in Oskaloosa; there he spent his days in acquiring an education and a knowledge of the printing business. At the breaking out of the rebellion he responded to his country's call and enlisted May 23, 1861, in company H, Third Iowa infantry. He was with his company in all engagements in which they participated. Was mustered out June 14, 1864. In the autumn of 1869 he went to Seward, Nebraska; there he established the "Seward Reporter" In the spring of '71 he moved to Des Moines of this state, and in 1877 came to Glenwood, where he has since made his home. He was married May 3, 1866, at Oskaloosa, Iowa, to Miss Amanda J. Salisbury. She is a native of Indiana. They have one child, Jessie G. Mr. Croney is a man of decided opinions, of a retiring nature, and prefers the peace and quiet of his legitimate pursuits to the turmoil of public life. Politically he is of the republican faith and an able advocate of its principles. p. 673/674 Glenwood Township

Crosby, A. W.,
Postmaster, Silver City; was born in Medina county, Ohio, February 28, 1837. In 1840 he moved with his parents to Fulton county, Indiana, where he passed the earlier years of his life. In the spring of 1854 he came to Iowa located in Marion county and engaged in farming and mercantile pursuits until the breaking out of the late war. In the autumn of 1861 he enlisted in company G, Fifteenth Iowa infantry. At the battle of Shiloh he was taken prisoner, and taken to Tuscaloosa, Alabama, thence to Montgomery, and held a prisoner of war until May, 1862, when he was paroled and sent to Benton Barracks. He was honorably discharged in January 1864. Returning to his home in Marion county, he remained until 1879, when he came to Silver City. His was the first store erected in Silver City, the object of his coming having been to engage in business pursuits. On August 5, 1879, he received the appointment of postmaster, and retains the office still. In 1860 he married Miss Mary L. Auten, a native of New Jersey. They are the parents of four children, now living: Ida E., born in 1864; Alva, born in 1868; Alice, born in 1872; and Clyde, born in 1878. Mr. Crosby has built for himself not only a fine trade, but good reputation as a business man and an exemplary citizen. p. 693 Ingraham Township

Cross, George,
Farmer and stock raiser, section 21, P.O. Emerson; born December 13, 1842, in Canada West, where he remained until 1868. He received his education in the common schools of his native country. After leaving Canada he came to Mills county, Iowa and located on the farm where he now resides. Was married in 1873 to Martha Deubin, a native of Ohio. They are the parents of three children: Tennie E., Mary Lulu and Willie (deceased). He owns a good farm of 415 acres which is well improved. p. 709/710 Indian Creek Township

Cunningham, Patrick, Jr.,
Farmer, section 12, P.O. Malvern, born in County Roscommon, Ireland, March 17, 1851, and there grew to manhood, working on a farm. He immigrated to America in 1868. Soon after landing here he went to Rock county, Wisconsin, where he remained three years, and then came to Mills County. He came to this county with nothing, but by industrious habits and hard work has succeeded in securing a good farm of eighty acres, on which are good buildings and a fine orchard. His parents, Martin and Catherine Cunningham, were natives of Ireland. They had a family of seven: Andrew, John, Ann and Maggie are deceased. The three younger ones: Patrick, Peter and James are living here. Their mother was the daughter of Patrick and Ann Martin and was married to Mr. Cunningham about 1837. They came to America one year after the arrival of their son Patrick, and now live with him. p. 604/605 Rawles Township

Cunningham, Patrick, Sr.,
Farmer, section 12, P.O. Malvern; born in March 1803, in the village of Nut Castle, County Roscommon, Ireland, where his youthful days were passed in attending the private schools and working on a farm. Was married in 1838, to Miss Mary, daughter of Thomas and Bridget Kane, of Nut Castle, Ireland. They are the parents of five children, living: Michael, Retta, Margaret, Kate and Maria, and Thomas, deceased. Soon after the great Irish famine they emigrated to America and located in Albany county, New York, about 1852, where they remained for two years, and then went to Rhode Island. In the following year he went to Rock county, Wisconsin. He came to Iowa in 1868, locating in Delaware county, and one year later came to the place where he now resides. Mrs. Cunningham died in 1878. He owns a farm of eighty acres, well improved, with a good orchard and an abundance of small fruits. 604 Rawles Township

Cunningham, Peter,
Farmer, section 24, P.O. Malvern; born June 10,1848, in County Roscommon, Ireland, where his youth was passed working on a farm and attending school. He immigrated to America when seventeen years of age, and worked in a foundry in New York City one year, and then went to Rock county, Wisconsin. Came to Mills county in 1871, and located on the farm where he now lives in 1875. Was married March 10,1875 to Mary Dobney, a native of England. They have two children: Amy and Martin. He owns a farm of eighty acres, with excellent buildings and a fine orchard. He came to this country a poor man, but by industry and hard labor has succeeded in securing for himself a good home and all the comforts of life. p. 605 Rawles Township

Curtis, M. J.,
Came to Malvern at the age of twenty-three years. At the age of five years he removed from his native place - Bucksport, Maine, where he was born, September 6, 1847 - with his parents to Roscoe, Illinois, where he remained until he came to Mills county in 1870. Since Mr. Curtis' residence in Malvern, he has been engaged in the grain business. In this connection he has also conducted a farm of 282 acres, on which he has fed about a hundred head of cattle each season for the market. Mr. C. was educated where the great majority of the American people were, in the common school. He is a member of Masonic order - Silver Urn Lodge 234, of Malvern. Is also a member of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. C. being one of the early settlers of the town, has been identified with all of its material interests. He has held the office of mayor, school director and treasurer of the school board, thus affording evidence of the esteem in which he is held by his fellow citizens. At his native town of Bucksport, Maine, he married, November 3, 1869, Miss Helen L. Sweetser, the choice of his youth. An adopted child makes their household cheerful. p. 634 Malvern Township

copyright 1998-2007 Cay Merryman

Return to Mills County Home

Page updated on November 16, 2014 by Karyn Techau