Mills County, Iowa
Baldwin, Thomas J.,
Farmer, P.O. Henton; was born January 6, 1836 in Caldwell county, Missouri. When a child he accompanied his parents to Gentry county, Missouri, where he matured and was educated. His life has been passed in the pursuit of agriculture, which occupation he now continues on section 6. He came to Mills county, in 1853 but soon after returned to Missouri. He again came in 1864 and located permanently. He was married July 25, 1858, to Miss Elizabeth Queensbury a native of Virginia. They are the parents of five children living: Emily A., Sarah J., Robert L., Alice F., Virginia B., and two deceased. Mr. Baldwin was a faithful soldier in the Confederate army; stood by the state of his birth, and was true to the principles he believed were right. The result has been accepted, but his honesty and bravery none will question.
p. 656/657 Plattville Township
section 17, P.O. Silver City; is a son of one of the first settlers of Henry county, Iowa, where he went in 1845, and was born in Hamilton county, Ohio, August 27, 1840. After remaining in Henry county about twenty-four years, and obtaining his education in the common schools; he moved to Madison county, where he remained eight years, coming to Mills county in 1877. August 12, 1862 he enlisted in company K, twenty-fifth Iowa infantry, and participated in the battles of Chickasaw Bayou, Arkansas Post, Vicksburg, Lookout Mountain, Taylor Ridge, Mission Ridge, and minor engagements. He was married August 16, 1864, to Miss Mary J. Rowe, of Ohio, who was born in December 1845. This union has brought them four children: Marietta, Allena, Edwin D. and Delbert. Mr. Bannister is located on a good farm of eighty acres, and is a member of the Society of Friends.
p. 692/693 Ingraham Township
Barber, W. L.,
Blacksmith and wheelwright, P.O. Pacific Junction; was born August 27, 1849, in Nodaway county, Missouri. In 1863 he moved with his parents to Nebraska. In 1865 he came to Iowa, and located at Fremont City, Fremont county, but soon after removed to his native county of Nodaway. In 1869 he became a resident of Benton county, Arkansas. He became identified with the citizens of Pacific Junction in November, 1880. Mr. Barber was married in 1871, to Miss Esther A. Owens, of Nodaway county. they are the parents of three children: Mary E., William D, and Albert M.
p. 658 Plattville Township
Barker, L. C.,
Farmer and stock raiser, P.O. Glenwood; was born in Tioga county, New York, in the year 1822. In 1824 he became a resident of Monroe county, his father having moved thither, and subsequently to Genesee county, same state. Shortly after this he went to Kalamazoo county, Michigan and thence to Illinois, wher for two years he was engaged in teaching school. He came to this county from Wisconsin in 1856. Since coming he has accumulated over one thousand acres of land, all improved, and with several excellent orchards. In the fall of 1868 he was married to Mrs. Eliza Sharp, of Logan county, Illinois, who was originally from Shelby county, Kentucky. Mr. Barker and lady are members of the M. E. Shurch at Hillsdale. The parents of Mrs. Barker were among the early settlers of Kentucky.
p. 594 Center Township
Barker, Dr. W. W.,
Physician and druggist, P.O. Hastings; born July 23, 1825, in Monroe county, New York. Moved with his parents to Gennesee county, New York, in 1834, and from thence to Kalamazoo county, Michigan in 1838. He lived on a farm until sixteen years of age, and then learned the trade of a hatter. In 1843 he returned to Monroe county, New York, and commenced the study of medicine. He was for a number of years extensively engaged in the nursery business in New York, and at New Albany, Indiana. In 1864 he entered the government service at Nashville, Tennessee, and remained until the close of the war. He then located in Indianapolis, Indiana, and engaged in the practice of medicine. In 1872 he came to Mills county, locating at Emerson, where he resumed his profession. Was married February 2, 1873, to Miss Marian E. Dibble, of Cincinnati, Ohio. They are the parents of three children: William H., Ralph W., and Eugene E.
p. 708 Indian Creek Township
Farmer and stock raiser, section 32, P.O. Henton; born in 1825 in county Mayo, Ireland, where he resided until twelve years of age. He then went to Scotland and at the age of fourteen immigrated to America, first locating at New Orleans, where he remained one year and then went to St. Louis. He came to this county in 1857, locating in Lyons township, and two years later purchased the farm where he now resides, consisting of 300 acres, well improved. He was married December 25, 1855 to Miss Ellen Whalen, a native of Ireland. They are the parents of ten children of whom eight are living: Mary B., Kate, John T., Frank, Timothy, Henry, Edward and Peter. The five years preceding his arrival in this county were passed in steamboating. Since coming to Mills county he has been continually engaged in farming. He came here without means but by good management and economy has reached his present enviable position in life.
p. 667 Oak Township
Glenwood, of the firm of Bartholomew and Hubbell, was born in Ohio, December 18, 1824. When sixteen years of age he removed with his parents to southern Illinois, and remained about three years, after which he resided in Iowa county, Wisconsin, until 1856, when he sought the gold fields of California eight years of life being passed in that portion of the west. He then returned to Wisconsin where he resided but a short time before going to Illinois where he resided until he came to Iowa, locating in Madison county. From thence he became a resident of Brownsville, Nebraska, where he remained until coming to this county in 1870. When twenty-three years of age he commenced learning his trade, and has followed it to the present time. Eleven years of successful business have shown him to be a mechanic of the first order. His enterprise has closely identified him with the mechanical (sic) interests of the town. He has been twice married; the first time to Judith A. Lingral of Kentucky, in 1860, who died in 1863. There were born to them two children; Josephine and Cornelia, the latter of whom is deceased. His second wife was Frances Kettner a native of Illinois, to whom he was married in 1874. On the fourteenth of March, 1881, he purchased the livery business of Chatfield and Blackmore which is already large and prosperous.
p. 673 Glenwood Township
Merchant, P.O. Henderson; born September 16, 1836, in Richland county, Ohio. When fourteen years of age he wa apprenticed to learn the carpenter's trade. In 1854 he emigrated to Washington county, Iowa, and at once engaged at his trade. In 1857 he moved to St. Louis, Missouri, thence to Chillicothe, same state, where he continued to work at his trade. In 1860 he returned to Iowa, and January 14, of the following year, 1861, married Louisa Gimbel, a native of Ohio. In 1862 he worked on a farm; in 1863 formed a partnership in manufacturing wagons; in 1864 made a trip through New Mexico, Arizona, California and Idaho; returned in 1868, and in 1869 moved to Omaha; in the same year to Council Bluffs, and in 1874 engaged in business. In 1880 he moved to where he now resides. He has five children living: Mary N., Threasa, Catherine, Bearda and Hellena.
p. 701 Anderson Township
Baxter, William S., Farmer, P.O. Hastings; born September 30, 1831, in York county, Pennsylvania. When about eight years of age he went with his parents to Hanford county, Maryland, and remained there until twenty-nine years of age. He then went back to York county, Pennsylvania, remaining there about four years, and then emigrated to Henderson county, Illinois, residing there about nine years. He then came to Mills county, and located near Hastings. He now resides two miles southwest of Hastings, in White Cloud township. Was married August 9, 1855, to Miss Sarah J. Knight, a native of Maryland. They are the parents of four children: William F., Charles H., Emma J., and Annie E. The aged father and mother of Mr. Baxter reside with him and are aged respectively seventy-seven and seventy years.
p. 647/648 White Cloud Township
Bennett, Barton S.,
Farmer and stock raiser, section 26, P.O. Glenwood; born October 14, 1837 in Hardin county, Kentucky. At an early age he moved with his parents to Grainger county, where he remained until seven years of age, and then went to Holt county, Missouri, where he grew to maturity. His youth was passed in farm labor and attending the common schools. In 1851 he went to Nemeha county, Nebraska, and remained there until 1863. He then went to Fort Kearney and resided there about five years. In 1867 he came to Iowa, and purchased the farm in this county upon which he now lives. Was married December 29, 1856, to Miss Ann Entwistle, a native of England, by whom he was the father of six children: Sarah E., Mary E., Eliza J., Charles Henry, Emma and Francis. He was married a second time February 26, 1881, to Mrs. Genevia Green, daughter of Joseph H. and Mary E. Brown, Mrs. Green was previously married to Mr. Samuel H. Green, by whom she was the mother of one child, Lulu E. Mr. Bennett now enjoys the possession of a fine farm of 120 acres, with a good dwelling house, substantial barn, and a large and productive orchard. His wife is a lady of culture and refinement, who devotes her time to making home attractive.
p. 672 Glenwood Township
Bentley, Leander, A native of Kentucky, was born near Lexington, September 27, 1831, where he remained until about nine years of age. In 1840, he "went west" with his people, locating in Boone county, Missouri, where he secured a common school and academic education, the latter at the Lathrop Academy. While at Rockport, Missouri, he pursued a general mercantile business. In 1860 he came to Iowa, locating at Sidney, Fremont county, where he continued the mercantile trade until 1865, when he served in the county treasurers office until 1870. In 1872, he started the first bank at Riverton, which he left in 1875, and came to Malvern and filled the position of cashier of the First National Bank of that place, which position he still retains. Mr. B. married Miss A. M. Ross, at Rockport, Boone county, Missouri, February 13, 1855. Six children: Mary R., John H., Frank, R. E. Lee, Annie D., Charles A., are rising up to call them blessed. He is a member of the Nishnabotna Lodge, 153, of Masons; and also a member of the Baptist church.
p. 633 Malvern Township
Is a Pennsylvanian. March 17, 1832, marked his ingress in life at York county, and seventeen years of his young life was spent upon his native soil, when he went out into the world to carve his own way through it. In 1849 he started westward, and with a team drove to St. Joseph county, Michigan, and shortly after to Kalamazoo county, same state, where he remained four years. Thence he went to northwestern Iowa, and tarried a brief time, when he returned to Michigan. In the fall of 1858 the attractions of Iowa induced him to return to it again, and he located in Silver Creek township, Mills county, as one of the earliest settlers, and was among the very first to break and subdue a prairie farm therein. When he came, the site upon which Malvern now stands was a "howling prairie," and he hauled the lumber for the first building erected upon it. Mr. Berkhimer found his counterpart in Kalamazoo, Michigan, September 13, 1855, in the person of Margaret Oman, of that place; the production of which alliance were: Chester, Sarah, Lydia A., Clara, George, Oscar, Lewis, Maggie and Andrew J. Mr. and Mrs. Berkhimer and three children are members of the Baptist church of Malvern. His farm in section twenty, contains 260 acres, the joint accumulation of himself and wife. It contains one of the prettiest groves in the county, besides an orchard of two hundred trees. It is divided into convenient fields well fenced, with line fences of hedge. The house and outbuildings are well ordered, and in keeping with the other improvements.
p. 631/632 Malvern Township
Birdsall, Joseph R.,
Farmer, section 25, P.O. East Plattsmouth; was born near Niagara Falls, Canada, October 20, 1814, obtaining his education in the neighborhood schools of that locality. When quite young he began a mercantile life, and for some years was very successful, but owing to causes beyond his control he eventually lost all his property. He remained in his native land until he had succeeded in paying all his liabilities, which was in 1860, when he came to Iowa, locating in Mills county. After coming here he worked as a farm hand until he had saved about two hundred dollars, with which he purchased the eighty acres which he now occupies. He was married in 1842 to Mary A. Wynings, of Canada; they have had three children: Emily, Henry and Oscar; the last two being deceased. His first wife having died, he was married to Margaret Hines. of Greene county, Missouri, by whom he has had seven children: Mary, Peter, Eli, Albert, Laura, Weston and Ross. Mr. B. is a member of the church of United Brethren.
p. 658 Plattville Township
Black, W. M.,
Is a native of Scotland; born March 9, 1817. In 1838, he came to America, and located near Rochester, New York, where he remained until the autumn of 1838, when he moved to central Ohio. In July 1871, he located in Malvern, Mills county, and entered the hardware trade which he still continues. September 9, 1841, he married Miss Martha Reed, near Zanesville, Ohio. Four children were theirs, two sons and two daughters; two of whom are settled in Licking county, Ohio, and two in Mills county. Mr. Black was educated in the common school, and he and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church. His fellow citizens have, on several occasions expressed their confidence in his good citizenship, by conferring upon him official positions of trust. Several times trustee of his town, then mayor, and now school director and president of the board, which latter position he has held some five years. In 1850 Mr. Black was one of the "Argonauts" who made his way to California in search of the "golden fleece" of which he obtained a fair share. In 1865, Mr. B. was a delegate from Zanesville, Ohio, to the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church, at Pittsburg. He surrendered the services of two sons to his country, to aid in suppressing the rebellion.
p. 633/634 Malvern Township
Bone, James, Farmer and stock raiser, P.O. Henderson; was born November 28, 1834, in Jefferson county, Ohio. In 1838 he went to Washington county, and in 1840 to Perry county, same state. He came to Mills County in 1855, and entered 120 acres of land, to which he added 320 acres the following spring. He returned to Ohio, after paying for his land, and attending school made up largely for the disadvantages to which he had been subjected. He began to read medicine, which he followed for some twenty months. In 1861 he enlisted in the Thirty-first Ohio volunteer infantry, and was in the battles of Stone River, Corinth, and Perryville, among others. He was mustered out at Atlanta in 1864. Returning to Ohio, he was married in the fall of that year to Miss Amelia A. Norris. He came to Mills county in 1865. On September 20th of that year his wife died. January 28, 1867, he married Miss A. E. Allison, a native of Missouri, born November 17, 1844. They are the parents of eight children, seven living: Samantha A., Mary E., Avis R., Joicy O., John E., Charles V. and Joseph G. His farm now contains 800 acres.
p. 701/702 Anderson Township
Bosbyshell, E. P.,
Banker and merchant, P.O. Hastings; was born February 22, 1850. In 1856 his parents came to Iowa and located at Glenwood, then a small but growing village. He was educated in the common schools of Glenwood, and at Tabor College. At the age of sixteen he entered the store of his father at Glenwood, remaining four years and where was received his business education. He then came to Hastings and engaged in business, his being the first stock of goods opened in the place. In 1878 he built the present large business house in which he is now stationed. His business increasing, he again, in 1880, enlarged his store. In June 1878 he opened a bank in connection with his store, under the name of the Exchange Bank of E.P. Bosbyshell & Co. He was married June 23, 1873, to Miss Mary E. Hastings, a native of New York. They have three children: Elsie May, Bertha C., and Anna L. The wonderful success of Mr. Bosbyshell in business is to be attributed solely to his untiring energy and great business talent. He is an illustration of that class of men who touch and behold; it is turned to gold!
p. 708 Indian Creek Township
Pacific Junction; was born in Tuscarora (sic) county, Ohio, August 10, 1842. In August 1862, he enlisted in company K. Ninety-eighth Ohio volunteer infantry, and was in the battles of Richmond and Crab Orchard. He was discharged at Columbus, Ohio, in September, 1863. When he came to Iowa he located in Mahaska county, and leasing a coal mine, operated it until 1878. He then went to Albia, and in 1880 came here. He was married October 13, 1872, to Miss Jane Wake; they are the parents of two children: Minnie M. and William R.
p. 657 Plattville Township
Farmer, section 35, P.O. Tabor; born September 2, 1819 in South Devon, England, and passed his youthful days at farm labor. He was afterward employed by the royal family as a servant, and acted for a time as footman, but was soon promoted to the position of butler, in which capacity he served five years, and was connected with other families of rank and nobility in the same manner. He emigrated to America in March 1857, first locating in Lorraine county, Ohio, where he remained until 1865, when he came to Iowa. He was married in 1857 to Miss Sarah, daughter of William and Ann Savidge, of Lincolnshire, England. They have one child: William Watkins, who still lives at home. They are members of the Congregational church. He came to this country a poor man, but by industry and perseverance has secured a good farm of eighty acres, which is all improved.
p.603/604 Rawles Township
Farmer and minister. Mr. Brittain is a native of England, where he was born October 30, 1818. He resided in England, engaging in farming, during his early manhood, or until 1846, when he came to America and located in this county. He was probably the first settler in this county, and a further and more complete account will be found in a preceding chapter on early settlers and settlements. In July 1846, he located at a point some ten miles southwest from Glenwood, and remained two years, at the expiration of which time he moved to Glenwood, and became one of the founders of that city, under the name which it then bore of Coonville. His was the first house ever built in place. August 14, 1843, he was married to Miss Nancy Bayners, who was a native of England. They became the parents of twelve children, six of whom are now living: Catherine R., wife to Edward Anson; Caroline, the first person born in the county and now living in Glenwood; Mary A., Julia, wife to P. Tyson: Willard B. and Lucy A. Mr. Brittain was ordained a minister of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ, of Latter Day Saints, May 19, 1864, and he is today a staunch adherent of this faith. Most of the remarks made under early settlers will apply with marked emphasis to Mr. Brittain, who is both honored and influential as a citizen.
p. 666 Oak Township
Broemmier, T. F.,
Farmer and stock raiser, P.O. Emerson; was born February 24, 1824, in Prussia; raised on a farm, and educated in the common schools from seven to fourteen years of age, thus conforming to the law of the land. In 1842 he immigrated to America, and located near Dayton, Ohio, and engaged in work on a farm. In 1844 he came to Cedar county, Iowa, and was there married March 10, 1846, to Miss D. Shiner, a native of Prussia. she died March 7, 1847. He was again married November 15, 1848, to Nancy Kiser, a native of Virginia, born June 5, 1834. In 1870 Mr. Broemmier moved to his present place of residence, purchasing 160 acres of land, to which he has subsequently added some 320 more. His farm is a model one, complete in all its parts, with an excellent orchard, a full herd of stock, and fine buildings. He is the father of thirteen children by his second wife, eleven of whom are now living: Jacob H., John W., Caroline W., Martin G., Reuben P., Susan, Eliza S., Lydia A., Charles F., Lewis F., and Harvey E.
p. 701 Anderson Township
Brohard, James T.,
Is a native of the "Mother of Presidents." He was born in Taylor county, Virginia, May 11, 1838, where he spent the first thirty-eight years of his life, and acquired his education in a private school, and became master of his chosen vocation, that of wagon maker. In 1863, though a native Virginian, he enlisted in company K, of the First West Virginia Cavalry regiment of the union army, in which he continued in active service until the close of the war, when he was mustered out in July, 1865. He was in the battles of Winchester, Fisher Hill, Cedar Creek, Monocacy Junction, Snaker's Gap, Mt. Jackson, Port Republic, Stevenson's Depot, and twenty-four other engagements. He was under Sheridan and Custer, being in the latter's division. He was married in West Virginia, November 29, 1859, to Miss Jennie C. Roe, of that state. Jennie L. is their only living child, three having gone beyond the vale of life. He still pursues the wagon making business, which has employed his energies for more than twelve years.
p. 632 Malvern Township
Brooks, G. W.,
Farmer and stock raiser, P.O. Glenwood; was born in eastern Virginia. At an early age he moved with his parents to Harrison county, Ohio, where his youth was passed. In 1854 he removed to La Salle, Illinois, where he remained two years, and then became a resident of this county, locating in Glenwood and engaging in blacksmithing. For twenty years he continued in this occupation and then removed to his present home. In December, 1860, he was married to Miss Sarah F. Kimberling, a native of Mason county, Virginia. Mrs. Brooks came to Glenwood from Missouri, in the early days when Coonville was its name. The farm of Mr. Brooks is composed of one hundred and twenty acres of some of the best land in the township.
p. 594/595 Center Township
Brothers, S. T., M.D.,
from A. T. Andreas' Illustrated Historical Atlas of the State of Iowa, 1875
Was the first physician locating in Malvern. He came there in 1866, from Ohio, his native state, where he was born July 12, 1827, in Carroll county, in which he lived until 1856, and where he procured a common school education, and a professional education in Western Reserve College, of that state. He practiced his profession for some two or three years in his native county, after which, in 1856, he came to Eastern Iowa, where continued his professional work until 1860, when he returned to Ohio. Like most people who have ever lived in the grand state of Iowa, Dr. B. had an unconquerable desire to return, which he did in 1866, this time locating in Mills county. As already noted, he was not only the first physician, but was the second person who located in the then new town of Malvern. As a practitioner Dr. Brothers has been a successful master of the healing art. He has secured for himself a farm of 280 acres located in Pottawattamie county, where he may retire in quiet, when the years of the shady side shall overtake him. March 30, 1854, he mrried Eves A. Graham, of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, and thereby added to his domestic circle seven more to join in the great tide of life, and to make that circle more cheerful and interesting: Alice, Howard, Lily, Flora, Charlie, Rebecca and Ralph. The Doctor is a member of the Masonic order. (See Obituary)
p. 632 Malvern Township
Buffington, E. H.,
Farmer and stock raiser, P.O. Glenwood; was born in Illinois in the year 1844. In 1853 his parents came to this county, and with the county young Buffington grew to man's estate. The country was new and schools were scarce, hence the major part of his education has been derived from experience. He was married in 1868 to Miss Mattie Frizzle, a native of Missouri, born in 1849. They are the parents of five children: Eva E., Mary E., George W., Meda L. and Marion A. Mr. Buffington is of German and French parentage. He has long been identified with the county and its interests; and while public spirited has not neglected matters relating to private ends. He owns a farm of 96 acres.
p. 666 Oak Township
Buffington, F. M.,
Is a native of Meiggs county, Ohio, where his nativity commenced March 12, 1835. At the age of three years he was taken to Adams county, Illinois, where he grew up to young manhood; meantime gathering a common school education. At the age of nineteen years he came to Mills county, settling in Oak township, where he worked at farming until 1879, when he purchased the Malvern Mills, and from thence forward he carried on the milling business. His was a common school education. May 16, 1860, Mr. B. formed a marital alliance with Miss Sara Byers, of Mills County. Of this union there are five living children: Carrie, John, Jennie, Francis and Effie. Mr. B. is a member of the M. E. church.
p. 633 Malvern Township
Burger, A. H.,
Farmer and stock raiser, section 6, P.O. Glenwood; born in Cole county, Missouri, April 10, 1836. When quite young he moved with his parents to Cedar county, Missouri, and there remained until 1849, when he came to Mills county, Iowa, and located on section 7, in Rawles township. Here he grew to manhood and received his education in the private schools of the county. He was married March 12, 1857, to Miss Anna Wiles, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Wiles; he is the father of four children: James I., Nancy C., Frances E. and Mary A. Mr. Burger is said to be the oldest settler (with the exception of his mother) in the township. He has held several township offices, and for the past three years has been justice of the peace. Mr. and Mrs. Burger are members of the M.E. Church. He owns a fine farm of two hundred acres, with a good orchard and other improvements. this is said to be the first land cultivated in the township.
p.604 Rawles Township
Burket, Jacob, farmer,
Section 25; born in 1811, in Pennsylvania, in which state he grew to manhood and acquired his education in the common schools. He came to Mills county in 1852, and located on the farm he now owns in 1857. This farm consists of 250 acres, and has superior advantages as a fruit and stock farm, to which branches his labors are chiefly directed. He was married November 4, 1836, to Miss Sarah Stiffler, a native of Pennsylvania, by whom he was the father of seven children, of whom four are living: Maria, John, Henry and Francis S. Mrs. B. died in October 1874. He was married a second time to Mrs. Uker, a native of Germany, who lived but a few months after her marriage. Mr. Burket came to this county a poor man, but by industry and economy has succeeded in securing a comfortable home in which to spend his declining years.
p. 692 Ingraham Township
Burnham, Z. W., farmer,
Section 30, P.O. Silver City; born in the state of New York, in 1799, where he grew to manhood, attending the common schools and working at farm labor. In 1821 he enlisted in the New York state militia, under Captain Lyons. At the expiration of four years he was promoted to a captaincy, and served four years. He afterward reached the rank of colonel. In 1822 he was initiated in Cameron (N.Y.) Lodge of Masons. He served one year as W. M. of St. Mark's Lodge, No 58, in McHenry county, Illinois. He then organized McHenry Lodge, No. 234, with which he was connected about four years. He also organized lodges at Richmond, Nunday, Rising Sun, Wacondy, Dundee, Kane County, Algonquin, Silver Creek, No 234, and Silver Light Lodge, of Silver City. He was married in 1823 to Miss Polly Goff, a native of New York. They have eight children: Harriet R., William G., Abigail, Potter D.N., James H., Mary, Elizabeth and Zemry W.
p. 692 Ingraham Township
Farmer, section 11, P.O., Malvern; born December 6, 1828 in Yorkshire, England. From his youth he has been a farmer. He received his education by his own effort since arriving at manhood. He immigrated to America in 1854, and first located in Ohio; one year later he went to Winnebago county, Wisconsin. He arrived in Mills county, Iowa, in March, 1857, and located near Glenwood, and in 1873 he settled on the farm where he now resides. He enlisted in company B, 5th Iowa Cavalry, in September, 1861, and participated in the battles of Fort Henry, Lookout Mountain, Murfreesboro, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Nashville, Columbus and Macon City. Was discharged August 18, 1865, at Nashville, Tennessee, and was dismissed at Clinton, Iowa. While in the service he contracted a disease from which he has never fully recovered. Was married in October, 1865, to Miss Mary, daughter of Thos. and Mary Byers, of Morton county, Ohio. They have five children: Mary A., Nellie G., William T., Cornelia K. and John R. He owns a neat little farm of 40 acres, with an abundance of fruit and other improvements.
p. 603 Rawles Township
Farmer, stock raiser and fruit grower, P.O. Glenwood; was born in Morgan county, Ohio, February 23, 1838. His youth was passed on a farm, and his education received in a common school. In 1856 he came to Iowa and located in this county and became one of the first settlers in Oak township. He served with credit in the war of the rebellion, in company H, 13th Iowa infantry. In 1860 he was married to Miss Rebecca J. Buffington, of Illinois. They are the parents of five children: Mary O., Frances J., Rosa E. and Charles F., living and Nellie M., deceased. Mrs. Byers died November 3, 1874. August 14, 1879, Mr. Byers was married to Miss Sarah A. Thompson, by whom he has one child, Edwin M. The family belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Byers has always been deeply interested in the religious and educational development of his community, and withal is a man of great enterprise. His farm comprises some 166 acres of choice land, well improved, with buildings and orchard.
p.666/667 Oak Township
Byers, M. H.,
County recorder, P.O. Glenwood; born January 12, 1846, in Noble county, Ohio. In 1851, in company with his parents he moved to Washington county, the same state, going from there in 1852, to Kansas City, Missouri, where he remained only one year, when he came to Glenwood. His early training was that of a farmer, his education having been received in the common schools. He enlisted for the suppression of the rebellion, January 4, 1864, in the twenty-ninth Iowa Infantry, company B, and was with General Steele in his campaign to relieve Gen. Banks on the Red river. He was also at the siege of Mobile, and was with Sheridan in his campaign in Texas. He was mustered out of the service August 10, 1865, and returned to Glenwood, after which he held the position of clerk in a store for ten years. In 1878 he was elected recorder for Mills county, and re-elected in 1880. He was married December 1, 1870, to Carrie S. Daniel, of Mills county, Iowa. They have four children: Edith M., Bessie D., Nettie D. and Roscoe G.
p. 672 Glenwood Township