BIOGRAPHIES & OBITUARIES
~Source: History of Iowa, Vol. IV, Notable Men and Women of the State
ALLEN, SYLVESTER T was born in Seneca County, Ohio in about 1840. He lived there until the early 1850's when his family moved to Hamilton County, Iowa. Sylvester's parents [Frederick J "Irish" and Samantha K (Lamkin) Allen] were original purchasers of land in Fremont township, newly formed from Cass township in the northern third of Hamilton County. Allens would farm in that part of the county for more than a century thereafter. At the time of the civil war, Sylvester's family owned about 1100 acres in Hamilton and Wright counties. Sylvester and his sister, Loretta, were still at home. Sylvester's siblings, Edson, Naomi, George, and Ozias farmed land nearby in Hamilton and Wright counties. As the civil war escalated Sylvester enlisted in the army at Marshalltown on July 1, 1861. Two weeks later he was assigned to Company D in Iowa's 5th Infantry Regiment. His unit marched through Missouri and southern Illinois, then on to Tennessee and Mississippi. Sylvester served in the advance upon and the siege of Corinth, April 29 through May 30, 1862. Corinth was a center for railroad traffic in the deep South. In the first major encounter after the battle of Shiloh. General Beauregard and the Confederates conceded Corinth before the battle began, retreating to Tupelo, Mississippi. But Sylvester contracted tuberculosis and was hospitalized. He died at the army hospital in Farmington, four miles from Corinth. He was mustered out of his unit upon his death, July 2, 1862. At the time of his death he had 15 cents, 3 photos, 4 letters, 2 books, his clothing, and other miscellaneous personal effects. Sylvester was first buried at the army hospital cemetery at Farmington, Mississippi. Later, the Corinth National Cemetery was established for the burial of Union soldiers. Sylvester was re-interred there. The burial site is Section B, site 3687 [some sources say Section B, grave 492]. GRAVESTONE PHOTO
ALLEN, SYLVESTER, Birth: 1840, Seneca County, Ohio, USADeath: Jul. 2, 1862, Farmington, Alcorn County, Mississippi, USA, Enlisted as a 21 yr. old resident of Marshall Co., Ia. on July 1, 1861 at Marshalltown, Ia. as a private in Co. D, 5th Iowa Infantry. Died of phthisis July 2, 1862 at Post General Hospital near Farmington, Ms. Effects: 1 hat, 1 cap, 3 likenesses, 1 pkt. knife, 1 pipe, 4 letters, 1 uniform jacket, 2 flannel shirts, 1 pr. shoes, 1 blanket, 2 mem. books, 1 purse, 1 housewife, 1 nail brush, 2 towels, and specie .15 cts. Last paid to Feb. 28, 1862 and had drawn clothing in the amount of $18.60. His clothing account was last settled to Oct. 31, 1861. Initially buried near the hospital and moved after the war to the National Cemetery at Corinth, Ms. Section B, grave 3687 (the 492nd burial in Section B?)
source: findagrave.com memorial page~Submitted by Allen Welch, February 2014
ABERNETHY, ALONZO was born April 14, 1836, in Sandusky County, Ohio. His early education was received in the public schools of that State. In March, 1854, he came with his father's family to Fayette County, Iowa. He entered the Chicago University, leaving the senior class in August, 1861, to enlist in the Ninth Iowa Infantry as a private. He was engaged in seventeen battles and won rapid promotion, attaining the rank of lieutenant-colonel before the regiment was mustered out. In 1865 he was elected to the House of Representatives of the Eleventh General Assembly from Fayette County. In 1870 he removed to Denison, in Crawford County, but was soon chosen president of Des Moines College. In 1871 he was elected on the Republican ticket Superintendent of Public Instruction, serving six years by reelections. He was largely instrumental in securing the enactment of the laws providing for Teachers' Normal Institutes and the establishment of a State Normal School. In September, 1876, he resigned his office to accept the presidency of the University of Chicago. After two years; service he made a trip to Europe and upon his return made his home on a farm near Denison. In July, 1881, he was elected president of the Cedar Valley Seminary at Osage. Colonel Abernethy has long ranked among the eminent educators of the State.
Adams, Albert Martin was born April 16, 1843, at Orange, Vermont; he died at Humboldt, Iowa, January 4, 1915. He worked on a farm and was educated in the common schools until the age of nineteen, when he enlisted in Company F, Forty-second Massachusetts Infantry, participating in the engagements about New Orleans. In August, 1863, he returned to his home in Vermont, but soon removed with his father's family to Humboldt, Iowa. At the president's call for 300,000 more troops, Mr. Adams re-enlisted in Company F, Second Iowa Cavalry. He participated in the battles around Nashville, was taken prisoner at Hollow Tree Gap and spent four months in Andersonville prison. In March, 1866, he returned to Humboldt county, and for a number of years engaged in various lines of business. In 1874, after three years' service in various newspaper offices, he bought the Humboldt Independent, then located in Dakota City. In 1890 the paper was removed to Humboldt. From the time of its purchase until his death, Mr. Adams was sole editor and proprietor of the paper, which was Democratic until 1896, but since that time has been Republican. Mrs. Adams was associated with him in the publication of thp paper until her death, in 1909. Mr. Adams taught the first term of school in Avery township and was the first mayor of Dakota City. He was county treasurer for two terms, a prominent worker in several social and fraternal organizations and ever interested in all matters of public improvement. He was one of the chief promoters of the Upper Des Moines Editorial Association, and at one time member of the executive committee of the National Editorial Association. ~ "Notable Deaths" Annals of Iowa, Vol. XII, Series 80. p. 76. Historical Society of Iowa. Des Moines. April, 1915.
AGLER, PETERearly settler of 1856 in Ringgold County, Iowa, was born in Pennsylvania in 1834. He enlisted on August 9, 1862 as a Private and was mustered into service with Company G of the 29th Iowa Infantry. Pvt. AGLER died of erysipelas February 3, 1863 at Jefferson Barracks near St. Louis, Missouri and was interred in section 37 1/2, grave 5 at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery. Pvt. AGLER was 29-years-old. Gravestone photo
American Civil War Soldiers database, ancestry.com
American Civil War Soldiers and Sailors database, National Parks Service
Submission by Sharon R. Becker, May of 2010
AINSWORTH, LUCIAN L. was born in Madison County, New York, on the 21st of June, 1831. He acquired a liberal education, studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1854. Mr. Ainsworth came to Iowa in August, 1855, locating at West Union in Fayette County where he opened a law office. He soon attained high rank in the profession and in 1859 was nominated by the Democrats for State Senator in the district composed of the counties of Fayette and Bremer. He made a vigorous canvass, overcame the Republican majority and was elected, serving four years with marked ability. In 1862 Mr. Ainsworth raised a company for the Sixth Cavalry, of which he was appointed captain. In 1871 Captain Ainsworth was again elected to the Legislature, serving two years in the House. In 1874 he was nominated by the Democrats of the Third District for Congress and by his personal popularity overcame the Republican majority of nearly 2,000 and was the first Democrat elected to Congress from Iowa in twenty years. He died in April, 1902.
ANDERSON, ALBERT R. was born in Adams County, Ohio, November 8, 1837. He attained prominence in his native State before removing to Taylor County, Iowa, in 1857. There he studied law and was admitted to the bar, soon after removing to Clarinda where he enlisted at the beginning of the Civil War in the Fourth Iowa Infantry. He won rapid promotion, being commissioned first lieutenant for gallant service at the Battle of Pea Ridge, became captain during the siege of Vicksburg and assistant Adjutant-General during the Atlanta campaign. Mr. Anderson reached the rank of major before the close of the war. Upon returning to Iowa after peace was established, he became a resident of Fremont County and was soon appointed Collector of Internal Revenue for the Fifth Congressional District. In 1881 he was appointed Railroad Commissioner, serving until 1884. In 1886 he was elected Representative in Congress as an independent Republican. He died at Hot Springs, South Dakota, November 17, 1898.
ANDERSON, DANIEL, was born in Indiana in 1821. He studied law, was admitted to the bar and in 1843 came to Iowa, locating at Albia, in Monroe County. He was elected to the State Senate in 1854 as "an Anti-Nebraska man" in the district composed of Wapello, Lucas, Clarke and Monroe counties, serving two terms. Mr. Anderson was one of the founders of the Republican party and in 1856 was a delegate to the National Republican Convention which nominated John C. Fremont for President. Upon the beginning of the War of the Rebellion he raised a company for the First Iowa Cavalry of which he was commissioned captain, in July, 1862, he was promoted to major and in August following became lieutenant-colonel of the regiment. In August, 1863, he was promoted to colonel and for some time was in command of a brigade until his health failed when, in May, 1864, he resigned and returned to his home in Albia. He was an able and gallant officer and universally esteemed as a citizen. He resumed the practice of law and died on the 4th of February, 1901
ALLRED, WILLIAM A., Representative from Wayne county, is a native of North Carolina, Randolph county, born April 26, 1846. Came with his parents, who were American-born, to Wayne county, Iowa, October 5, 1854, and settled on a farm in Monroe township. Acquired his education in the district schools of Wayne county. At the age of eighteen years he enlisted as a private in Company H, Forty-sixth Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry. At the close of the war he attended two additional terms of school. On December 12, 1869 was married to Miss Louisa Kellogg; they have three daughters and four sons. Has been a resident of Iowa fifty-two years, all of the time engaged in farming and stock raising. Has held the offices of township clerk four years, township trustee six years, secretary of the school board twelve years, a member of the Republican county central committee in 1896-1897, and was county recorder of deeds in 1900, serving four years. Elected Representative in 1906 and re-elected in 1908. A Republican in politics.
~Sources: Biographical Review of Henry County, Iowa, Chicago: Hobart Publishing Company, 1906 History of Iowa Vol IV 1903
~Submitted by Polly Eckles.
ANDERSON, Joel M. son of William D. and Sarah I. (LOUDER) ANDERSON, was born in Guilford county, North Carolina, April 16, 1841. His parents were natives of North Carolina and were of Scotch ancestry. His father was a pioneer minister of the Wesleyan Methodist church. Reared in a state where slavery existed he disapproved strongly of the system and, with a view of getting himself and family from its blighting influences, he removed to Henry county, Indiana, in 1851. He remained there until about 1858, when he removed to Decatur county, Iowa, where he continued to make his home during the remainder of his life. He died in February, 1890, and his wife survived him less than a week.
Joel M. ANDERSON, the subject of this sketch, died at his home in Hutchinson, Kansas, December 18, 1911. He had the following brothers and sisters: Rhoda, deceased, married W. H. SANFORD, of Leon, Iowa; Mary A. married J. P. DUNN, of Abbeyville, Kansas; William S., a farmer of Ringgold county, Iowa; Irene married Peter DECK, of Abbeyville, Kansas; Solomon, a member of the Third Iowa Cavalry in the Civil War, died in the service in Louisville, Kentucky; John C., a farmer, at Kennard, Indiana; Isaac B., a farmer, at Cadiz, Indiana.
Joel M. ANDERSON was educated in the district schools of Henry county, Indiana, and Decatur county, Iowa. He remained at home working on the farm until he reached his majority. He then rented a farm in Decatur county, Iowa, and afterward bought a small farm in that county which he cultivated until the fall of 1873, when he removed to Reno county, Kansas, where he located a homestead claim on the northwest quarter of section 34, township 23, range 8, and during the fall and winter of 1873 broke sod preparatory to spring planting. In the spring he rented some other land that had been broken the preceding year and planted forty acres in corn, but he lost his entire crop by the grasshopper scourge that devasted that section that year. Having nothing left, like many other settlers, he had to leave his claim and seek some other location to obtain a living for himself and family. He returned to his former home in Iowa where he spent the winter working with his team at one dollar per day. In the spring of 1875 he returned to Kansas to make another effort to raise a crop. He planted only a small acreage of wheat because he did not have enough money to purchase seed for a larger acreage. The grasshopper plague had abated and he was able to realize a fair return for his labor that year. His first house was a one-story, fourteen by sixteen, in which he lived for several years, until he was able to enlarge and improve it. He was engaged in general farming and stock raising until September, 1888, when he removed to Hutchinson to assume the duties of the office of county treasurer, to which he had been elected.
Mr. ANDERSON was elected to the office of county commissioner in 1885. for a term of one year, from the third district. This was to fill a vacancy in that office. On the expiration of that term he was re-elected for the full term of three years, but he resigned the office of commissioner to accept the office of county treasurer, to which he was elected in the fall of 1887. He served for two terms, of two years each, in the latter office, being re-elected in the fall of 1889. He was elected police judge of Hutchinson, in 1895, and served in that capacity for two years. He was also township trustee for three years, and one of the organizers of school district No. 58, and served as treasurer of the school board for nine years. In the discharge of these various official duties he was always prompt, efficient and reliable, and commanded the approbation and the esteem of the community which he faithfully served. His official record is without criticism or reproach. His public honors always came to him unsought, his fellow citizens calling him to office because they recognized his trustworthiness and ability.
After retiring from office Mr. ANDERSON engaged in the real-estate and insurance business, and also engaged as administrator of estates and guardian of minor heirs. In this capacity his superior business judgment, his unquestioned integrity in handling public and private interests, gave assurance that business entrusted to him would be carefully handled and honestly accounted for. His entire life was in harmony with his profession — honorable, straight and upright — and was crowned with the high degree of success which is ever accorded sterling worth.
On August 8, 1863, Mr. ANDERSON enlisted in Company C, Ninth Iowa Cavalry, under the command of Colonel DRUMMOND, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, with whom he served for two years. This regiment served in Missouri and Arkansas, guarding wagon trains and doing much scouting and escort duty. On account of disability from hard service and exposure, Mr. Anderson was discharged at the end of two years. Joel M. ANDERSON was married, July 31, 1862, in Iowa, to Sarah A. CHAMBERS, a daughter of Daniel E. and Elizabeth (BRINNEMAN) CHAMBERS. Mrs. ANDERSON was born in Pennsylvania, September 8, 1844. Her father was born in Pennsylvania, June 21, 1816. He was a farmer, owning one hundred and sixty acres of cultivated land and forty acres of timber land, near Leon, Iowa, where he settled in 1848. In 1850 Mr. CHAMBERS was attracted by prospects in gold mining in California and went on the long journey across the plains to seek his fortune in that state. After two years of indifferent success he returned to his Iowa home and resumed his farming operations. In 1893 he came with his wife to Hutchinson to live with his daughter, Mrs. Joel M. ANDERSON. He died here, September 8, 1905. He had been blind for about twenty years. Mr. CHAMBERS had been a successful farmer and took great pride in his farm, and in the raising and care of fine horses. His wife was born in Pennsylvania, February 25, 1816, and died in Hutchinson, June 4, 1894. Both were prominent members of the Methodist church.
The brothers and sisters of Mrs. Joel M. ANDERSON are: Austin, born in Pennsylvania, March 29, 1841, was a soldier in the Civil War, serving six months, died in Lyoden, Washington territory, January 17, 1889; Mary Ellen, born in Pennsylvania, December 2, 1847, married George T. CHANDLER, a farmer, living at Armour, South Dakota; Emma Jane, born near Leon, Iowa, May 29, 1858, died June 16, 1869; Amos, born near Leon, Iowa, October 16, 1854, is a farmer and stock raiser at Leon, Iowa.
The children born to Mr. and Mrs. ANDERSON are: William A., a fanner of Reno county; Ida L. married M. WILMOT; Cora married John S. DAUBER, of Whitewater, Kansas; Bertha married Walter MEADE, of Hutchinson, Kansas.
Mr. ANDERSON was an active and prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, having served as a member of the official board, and in the work of the Sunday school, in which he was a teacher in the country. He was a member of Joe Hooker Post, Grand Army of the Republic. He was also a supporter of the Hutchinson Young Men's Christian Association. Politically, he was identified with the Republican party, having served on the county central committee, and was frequently a delegate to the conventions of his party. Mrs. ANDERSON is a member of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union, and the Woman's Relief Corps, auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic. The family residence is one of the handsome homes of Hutchinson, located at 517 Third avenue, east.
Photo of Joel Anderson
~ SOURCE: PLOUGHE, Sheridan. History of Reno County, Kansas: Its People, Industries, and Institutions Vol. II. Pp. 209-12. B.F. Bowen & Co. Indianapolis. 1917.
~ Transcription by Sharon R. Becker, June of 2009, http://iagenweb.org/ringgold/biographical/bio-andersonjoel.html
ANDREWS, H. C., of the firm of Andrews & Grable, attorneys and collecting agents, established the business in 1878, under the present firm name. They do a large collecting business, and have now on hand for collection $250,000 worth of paper.
Mr. ANDREWS was born in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, October 19, 1845. He enlisted in Company D, Eighth Iowa Cavalry; participated in the Atlanta campaign; was taken prisoner at Newnan, Georgia, and confined in Andersonville, Georgia, and several other rebel prisons, and after having spent ten months in the South, he was finally exchanged, and was mustered out at Annapolis, Maryland, June 28, 1865. He soon went to Mount Ayr, Iowa, and began the study of law in the law office of Laughlin & Keller, remaining about two years, and, being admitted to the bar on April 1, 1878, he then began practice. He was elected County Superintendent of Schools one term, after which he was elected Clerk of the Court for Ringgold County, and served one term. He took the United States census of the same county for 1870; continued practice until 1873, when he moved to Kearney, Nebbraska, and continued his profession. He was married in Bedford, Taylor County, Iowa, in 1871, to Miss Mary F. CAMPBELL, of Quincy, Florida. They have two children - Kenneth R. and Ralph F.
Mr. ANDREWS is a member of the subordinate lodge and encampment, I. O. O. F.
Also a member of Sedgwick Post. No. 1, G.A.R.
~Source: "Buffalo County" Part 5 Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska The Western Historical Co. A. T. Andreas Chicago. 1882 ~Transcription by Sharon R. Becker, May of 2009
Captain Lot Abraham
The broad prairies of Iowa have furnished splendid opportunities to the agriculturist, and taking advantage of the natural resources of the state in this regard have been many men of excellent business capacity, keen discernment and untiring industry, who, through the utilization of the opportunities here afforded, have advanced to a position of affluence, if not of wealth. To this class belongs Captain Abraham, now recognized as one of the prominent farmers of Center township, Henry county. Moreover, he is an honored veteran of the Civil war and is a recognized leader in republican circles. He stands as a high type of our American manhood, manifesting business integrity, public-spirited citizenship, and due regard for man's obligations to his fellow man.
Captain Abraham was born in Butler county, Ohio , on the 18th of April, 1838 , a son of John and Sarah ( McCue ) Abraham. When three years of age he was brought by his parents to Center township, Henry county, his father purchasing land on section 35, where the son still resides. John Abraham, however, was not long permitted to enjoy his new home, being called to his final rest. He left a widow with seven small children, one of whom was born subsequent to the father's demise. With most commendable courage and resolution, Mrs. Abraham kept her little flock together until her sons and daughters had attained adult age and were able to care for themselves. The educational advantages of the locality were poor and the “temple of learning” was but a log building. Through broad reading, general observation and experience, however, Captain Abraham has obtained a good education. Being the eldest son, he took charge of the home farm, and was yet a young lad when brought before the business world. After he had attained his majority he and his brother began purchasing the interest of the other heirs in the home property, and to the further improvement and cultivation of the land Captain Abraham devoted his time and attention, until after the outbreak of the Civil war in 1861.
He then enlisted for three years' serving as a private of Company D, Fourth Iowa Cavalry. Within six months, however, he had been promoted to the rank of first lieutenant, having passed through the intermediate grade of orderly sergeant. At the end of the year he had become captain. The regiment first went with Curtis through Missouri and Arkansas , and later participated in the siege of Vicksburg and was with Sherman on the Meridian expedition in February, 1864. In 1864 Captain Abraham was on active duty under Generals Sturgis and Smith, and in the fall of that year made a trip after Price through Missouri . He then re-enlisted with his company for three years more and from there received his veteran furlough, and in 1865 returned to Nashville , but was too late for the battle there. His command was then attached to Wilson 's cavalry corps, and from that point started on the Georgia campaign. Captain Abraham was prominent in his command, and General Upton in his report says of him: “The Fourth Iowa Cavalry, dismounted, under Captain Lot Abraham, passed through the breach, turned to the right, charged the redoubt, capturing ten guns, and then sweeping across the bridge with the flying rebels, captured two howitzers loaded with canister. Mounted companies from the same regiment followed in the rear of Captain Abraham, and after crossing the bridge turned to the right and charged in flank the works at the lower bridge. * * * Captain Lot Abraham, Company D, Fourth Iowa, for his gallantry at Columbus, Georgia, April 15, 1865, and at Selma, Alabama, April 2, 1865, is recommended for brevet major.” These extracts are from pages four seventy-one, four seventy-five and four seventy-seven of volume forty-nine of the official reports of the war of the rebellion. On page four eighty-two of the same volume General Winslow says: “I respectfully recommend that the rank of major by brevet be conferred on Captain Lot Abraham, Company D, Fourth Iowa Cavalry. This officer has frequently displayed great courage, handled his command in a very gallant manner at Columbus and Selma , captured a four-gun battery at Selma repulsing the enemy in his attempt to recover it.” Also complimentary mention is found in other places of the war reports concerning Captain Abraham's service. Following the close of hostilities he was sent to Washington , Georgia , where he paroled Wheeler's cavalry, spending two months there in charge of the government property. He also had charge of the archives of the Confederacy and sent car loads of such material to Washington, D. C. He was discharged at Atlanta , August 8, 1865 .
Returning to his home, Captain Abraham soon began independent farming, purchasing one-half of the old homestead, to which he added from time to time until he owned six hundred and forty acres, but he has since sold one-half of this to his son. He has been a prominent stock-raiser and feeder and his live stock has found ready sale on the market. At the present time he is making a specialty of breeding registered Hereford cattle, he having purchased eighteen of Captain Beckwith's registered white-faced females, and has probably the best animal in the county to head his herd, and pure bred Duroc Jersey hogs.
Captain Abraham is recognized as a distinguished republican leader in his district, active in support of the party, while his labors are most effective in advancing its interest. He has served for a number of times as chairman of the Central County Committee and has put forth effective effort in securing the nominations of good candidates. He was nominated and elected in 1881 to the senate, serving form 1882 until 1884, being a member of that body during the last session held in the old capitol and the first in the new capitol. He was a member of the committee on agriculture and four other committees, including that on prohibition. He was elected on the republican ticket, but was known as an ardent advocate of prohibition principles. He took a most active and helpful part in passing the prohibitory law in 1884 and was also active in his work for the benefit of the agricultural interest of the state. He also became widely known through his efforts to prevent the acceptance of passes by the members of the legislature, thereby placing themselves under obligations to further legislative movements for the benefit of the railroad companies, often to the detriment of the public at large.
While not holding office since his retirement form the senate, Captain Abraham has never faltered in his efforts to benefit his state and country by his active political work and he is now one of the leading members of the republican party in Henry county. He has, moreover, wide and favorable acquaintance in Grand Army circles, his membership being in McFarland Post, No. 20, Grand Army of the Republic, of which he has served as commander. For many years he has attended the state encampments and is an active worker in behalf of the interests of the old soldiers. He was likewise a delegate to the national encampments at Minneapolis , Pittsburg , Cleveland and San Francisco , and in a private capacity has attended many other meetings of the national body of the Grand Army of the Republic.
Captain Abraham was married in 1865, soon after his return from the war, to Miss Sarah C. Alden, a sister of John B. Alden, a well known publisher of New York city . She was killed in a runaway accident, August 5, 1888 , leaving three daughters and a son. John G., who is a graduate of Ames Agricultural College , married Miss Alice Barger and is now a well known farmer of Jackson township. Sarah, who was also educated at Ames College , is the wife of William H. Waugh, an extensive rice planter living near Galveston , Texas . Mary is the wife of George Wright and resides in Jackson township, Kate is the wife of Morton Bourne, of Long Beach , California . For his second wife Captain Abraham chose Mrs. Mary E. Blacker, a daughter of Peter Blant. She was born in Butler county, Ohio , where she resided until the time of her marriage to Captain Abraham on the 22 nd of October, 1891 . They now have one son, Frank P.
Captain Abraham has been a member of the Christian church. He believes in Christianity without creed, recognizing that the true spirit of religion is found in Biblical teaching and not in its interpretation by men. He has been an extensive traveler, visiting every state and territory of the Union and also the Canadian provinces. He has likewise traveled abroad, visiting England , France , Switzerland , Italy and other sections of Europe , also Syria , Palestine and Egypt . He has been a close and careful observer of the forms and customs of the various people whom he has met and through travel and reading has become a broad-minded, intelligent man. He possesses, moreover, a retentive memory and his mind is stored with many interesting reminiscences of his trips. He has over four hundred camera views of different scenes, a portion of which he has made into stereopticon slides for the entertainment of himself and friends.
Captain Abraham is always in touch with the progress of the times in business life, in political thought, in religious sentiment and in the general movement of the world toward a higher civilization, and he has been a forceful factor in molding public thought and opinion, leaving the impress of his individuality for good upon many lines of thought and activity.
ARNETT, W. L., farmer, section 10, Middle Fork Township, was born August 17, 1835, in Des Moines County, Iowa, son of Henry ARNETT now of Mt. Ayr.
He was the second of a family of nine children. When three years of age his father removed to Calhoun County, Illinois, where W. L. remained until he was twenty years old. He was reared on a farm and obtained his education in the common schools of his day. In June, 1855, the ARNETT family came to Ringgold County and settled on section 15, Middle Fork Township. Mr. ARNETT resided here until April 10, 1856, when he returned to Calhoun County. He was married April 2, 1857, to Miss Mary M. DeLONG, born in Jersey County, Illinois, daughter of Luther B. and Mary Ann DeLONG.
September 10, 1863, he returned to Ringgold County. February 23, 1863, he enlisted in Company M, Third Iowa Cavalry, and was in several of the most noted battles of the war.He was honorably discharged August 19, 1865, at Atlanta, Georgia, and arrived home August 24, 1865.
He settled upon his present farm June 20, 1868. At that time it consisted of 160 acres of wild land. He has since added to the original purchase until his farm consists of 280 acres of as good land as the township affords. It is well cultivated and well improved. He has a good story-and-a-half house, an orchard of four acres, native groves, barn, 40 x 40 feet, and is engaged in general farming, stock-raising and feeding.
Mr. and Mrs. ARNETT have five children - Olive, William E., Mary Alice, Henry Luther, and Findley B. Luna died at the age of ten months.
Mr. ARNETT has since served creditably as township clerk and member of the School Board. He is a worthy and consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and always takes an active interest in any enterprise that tends to the advancement of education or religion, and is always a liberal contributor to any worthy object. By fair and honorable dealing he has secured the confidence of all who know him. In politics he is a Republican. Postoffice, Ingart.
NOTE: William L. ARNETT died on January 2, 1885 with interment at Middle Fork Cemetery, Ringgold County, Iowa.
Henry L., son of William L. and Mary Ann (DeLONG) ARNETT, was born October 24, 1882, and died December 3, 1887, with interment at Middle Fork Cemetery, Ringgold County, Iowa.
Biography & Historical Record of Ringgold County, Iowa, p. 335, 1887.
American Civil War Soldiers Database, ancestry.com
WPA Graves Survey
from Biography & Historical Record of Ringgold County, Iowa Lewis Publishing Company of Chicago, 1887, p. 335
~Transcription and note by Sharon R. Becker, March of 2009
ASBURY, W. H. H. who for a quarter of a century has been engaged in the real estate business in Ottumwa, was born in Parke county, Indiana, April 4, 1841. This was the day upon which General William Henry HARRISON died and Mr. ASBURY was named in his honor. His parents were Benjamin and Polly (PORTER) ASBURY, the former a native of Virginia and the latter of Kentucky. They were married in the Bluegrass state and started overland to the Wabash valley, establishing their home in Vermilion county, Indiana, whence they afterward removed to Parke county. In 1850 they came to Iowa, settling in Monroe county, where they spent the greater part of their lives, although the father died in Ringgold county. He was a blacksmith by trade, having served an apprenticeship of nine years. In later life he engaged both in blacksmithing and in farming. During the Civil war he served with the Thirty-seventh Iowa Regiment, known as the Gray Beards — a regiment which was largely engaged in guard duty. His father, Joseph ASBURY, was a soldier of the Revolutionary war and was with WASHINGTON's army during the memorable winter at Valley Forge. For five years altogether he was on active duty under WASHINGTON. His birth occurred at Fairfax county, Virginia, and his entire life was passed in that state. The mother of our subject was a granddaughter of Robert PORTER, who served as a sergeant in the Revolutionary war under General BROADHEAD. In the family of Benjamin and Polly ASBURY were five children: Emily, who is the widow of Leonard CLARY, of Keokuk county, Iowa, and is now eighty-one years of age; Thomas Payne, of Ringgold county; W. H. H.; Mary Ann, the widow of Harrison NEIDIGH, of Ringgold county, and Benjamin F., of Albia, Iowa.
W. H. H. ASBURY spent his youthful days in his parents' home, remaining with them until he enlisted in response to the country's first call for three months' troops. He did not go to the front, however, until August, 1861, at which time he was a member of Company E, Third Iowa Cavalry. He enlisted at Bloomfield and was honorably discharged in October, 1862.
Mr. ASBURY then returned home and farmed for awhile. He then went to Blakesburg, where he entered the drug business with his older brother, continuing in that line for three years. He next came to Ottumwa and on the 1st of January, 1870, was made deputy sheriff, which position he capably filled. Later he was made deputy treasurer, and at the close of the term was elected county treasurer for four years. Subsequently he again accepted the position of deputy treasurer, remaining for ten years in the court house. In 1880 he entered the insurance and real estate business and in 1889 he was appointed internal revenue collector for this district. When his term in that office expired he resumed active connection with the real estate business, in which he has since been engaged. In 1910 he was again called to public office, when he was made supervisor of the census for the sixth congressional district, in which position he had 160 men and women under him. He has always given his political support to the republican party and has been most loyal to its principles. Commandery, No. 31, K. T.; and the Mystic Shrine. He is likewise identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Loyal Order of Moose, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Country Club. His entire career has been characterized by high ideals and noble principles and in every relation - of life his record has ever measured up to a high standard of honorable manhood.
Photo of Mrs Asbury Photo of Mr Asbury
~ SOURCE: WATERMAN, Harrison Lyman. History of Wapello County, Iowa Vol. II. Pp. 248-57. S.J. Clarke Publishing. Chicago. 1914.
~ Transcription by Sharon R. Becker, June of 2009, http://iagenweb.org/ringgold/biographical/bio-asburywhh.html
The following information is in the Goff article of the Seneca Tribune dated January 10,1923.
Eli Avery was born March 23, 1831 in Pennsylvania and died at Lead, South Dakota on January 3 at the age of ninety-one years, nine months and eleven days. Death was due to complications of old age. Mr. Avery came to Kansas about thirty-tree ago, locating in Goff, Ks. He was a saddle and harness maker by trade. He served in the Union Army during the Civil war enlisting in 1862 in Company B, 7th Regiment Iowa Calvery. Mr. Avery was married on January 28, 1860 to Agnes McCall at Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Following her decease he was married Mary Ann McKinsey. To the first union six children were born to the second marriage one. There survives four sons and three daughters, Those surviving are Charles H, Eli M, William R and Mrs. Della Gibbony. Mr. Avery was member of the Methodist church, the GAR and the IOOF lodge.
Funeral services were held from the Methodist church in Goff on January 7 by Rev. A L Goudy. The burial was made in the Fairview cemetery at Goff. Ks.
3rd Great Grandson, Mark E Gray
Copyright © IAGenWeb.org. All Rights Reserved.