Iowa Civil War Home
IOWA IN THE CIVIL WAR
BIOGRAPHIES AND OBITUARIES
Last updated: 12 Feb 2014 ms
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Surnames Beginning with the Letter G
STEPHEN J GAINAN No state in the Union can boast of a more heroic band of pioneers than this vigorous and prosperous young commonwealth. Mr. Gainan is not only numbered in this brave company, but he has also followed the stars and stripes on many a southern battlefield. He was born in Susquehanna County, Pa., on December 15, 1834, and is of stanch old Celtic stock. His father, James Gainan, was born in County Limerick, Ireland. When a young man he emigrated to America, locating in Pennsylvania, where he was engaged in farming until his death, and there died also his devoted wife, whose maiden name was Catherine Burke, and who was likewise born in Ireland. They had seven children, of whom six are living, Mr. Gainan being the fouth of them in order of birth. Stephen J. Gainan was reared on the farm, and his education was given in the public schools. He remained at his father's home until he was twenty years old, when he was apprenticed to a stone cutter. In 1858 he removed to Chicago, Ill., and worked at his trade for four months in the then embryo city. From Chicago he went to Iowa and there worked at his trade. Mr. Gainan enlisted in Company A, Fifteenth Iowa Vollunteer Infantry, in 1864, and soon proceeded to the front. He was in Sherman's march through Georgia to the sea, participating in many spirited engagements and remaining in active service until victory crowned the Union arms. He was mustered out in June, 1865, at Davenport, Iowa, and remained in Iowa until May, 1866, when he set forth for Montana, then a portion of Idaho.
He was a member of the "Pilgrim outfit," which came with teams and mules and horses and he stood guard often on the long weary trip, which was made by way of the Bozeman cutoff, and the party was farried across the Yellowstone river by Capt. Bozeman himself. Mr. Gainan immediately secured employment at his trade on his arrival at Helena and received $7.00 a day for his services in laying stone. He remained in Helena only a short time, then went to Virginia City and began to work, "stripping" for placer mines in Alder gulch, the great mining camp. He later helped to build the first stone quartz mill built in Montana, and then erected a stone warehouse for Tootle, Leach & Co., and the building is still standing. He then built a stone mill at Summit and later erected one in Spring gulch. The following winter Mr. Gainan was employed in the mine, and in April, 1867, he joined the stampede to the Salmon river country, in Idaho. He purchased a wagon and two yoke of oxen, transported a party of miners to the new diggings, and then returned to Virginia City and as a stone layer helped in the erection of the Masonic building. Later he was employed on other substantial buildings, including a fireproof warehouse for John Creighton, a pioneer business man of Montana and now an influential citizen of Omaha. He also worked on the government arsenal at Virginia City, and in the winter cut wood in the forests of this locality. The highest wages he received at his trade in Montana was $8.00 per day and board. In the spring of 1869 Mr. Gainan purchased placer mines in Brown's gulch, and has worked in them for more than a quater of a century, and still retains their ownership. In 1875 he purchased a ranch of 160 acres, nine miles west of Virginia City, and here he resides and is successfully engaged in the raising of hay and live stock. Mr. Gainan has ever been a stalwart Republican, while fraternally he holds membership in Frank Blair Post No. 6, G.A.R., at Virginia City. On January 13, 1863, Mr. Gainan was united in marriage to Miss Ellen McKernen, who was born in Ireland and accompanied him to Montana. She died June 4, 1899, after a life of noble womanhood, leaving many friends to mourn her departure. Mr. and Mrs. Gainan had four sons and two daughters, Edward J., Stephen J., Elizabeth, Joseph, deceased, Luella, Leo and Fay.
~Source: Progressive Men of Montana, 1902 (pages 637 and 638)
WASHINGTON GALLAND was born June 20, 1827, near Nauvoo, Illinois. He grew to manhood among the half-breed Indian and early pioneers of the Mississippi valley, hunting, fishing and boating. He was a pupil of Berryman Jennings who taught the first school in Iowa in a rude log cabin. He acquired a good education in later years and in 1856 entered the law office of Rankin and Miller and was admitted to practice in 1859. In 1863 he was elected to the Legislature from Lee County where he had settled. When but nineteen years of age he enlisted with a Missouri cavalry regiment in the Mexican War, serving until its close. When the Civil War began Mr. Galland raised a company for the Sixth Iowa Infantry of which he was commissioned captain. He was taken prisoner at the Battle of Shiloh and was released after seven months. He has been a prominent member of the Pioneer Lawmakers' Association, to which he has contributed valuable papers.
~Source: 1903 Biographies
GARDNER, Washington Walker
LYON COUNTY, IOWA
Capt. Washington W. Gardner, an honored and much respected resident of Rock Rapids, Iowa, was born October 2, 1839, at Howard, Center county, Pennsylvania, a son of Samuel and Nancy (Tipton) Gardner. The father, who was a native of Pennsylvania, followed the vocation of lumberman, and was also a farmer and miller. He came of German ancestry, and died at the age of fifty-nine years.
Note: All info found as of this time (2003) says his family came from Scotland / Ireland.
Washington W. Gardner lived at home until May, 1855, when he accompanied his father and family in their removal to West Union, Iowa, and there assisted his father in the cultivation of the homestead until the breaking out of the Civil war in 1861. He attended the West Union high school, and taught school for a time. At school he had for instructors Principals J.P. Wallace and S.S. Ainsworth, noted teachers of their day, and when he graduated from the high school stood at the head of his class.
He was just ready to enter the Upper Iowa University, at Fayette, when his country called him, and he enlisted in Company C, First Battalion Thirteenth United States Regular Infantry, with headquarters then at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri. He enlisted at Dubuque, and was appointed company clerk. After several months drilling, the regiment was sent to Alton, Illinois, to guard prisoners, then confined in the old state prison, and the result of General Grant's operations at Fort Henry and Fort Donelson. He was made corporal of his company March 19,1862. The regiment was ordered August 1, 1862, to go forward to Newport, Kentucky, to meet a threatened attack by General Marmaduke. October 14, 1862, Corporal Gardner became First Sergeant Gardner. Soon after this the command joined General Sherman at Memphis, and was stationed at Fort Pickering, soon taking part in the campaign known in history as the Tallahatchie march. The first of the following December the regiment was assigned to the First Brigade, Second Division, Fifteenth Army Corps, and on the 20th day of that month started for Vicksburg under command of General Sherman, being transported on board the steamer "Forest Queen." It participated in the battle of Haines Bluff, on the Yazoo Bayou, fought December 28th and 29th, and assisted in the capture of Arkansas Post, January 10, 1863. After this battle the regiment went into camp at Millikin's Bend, Louisiana, but was sent into action in the Steel's Bayou, and had a hand in certain fierce fighting at that time. The regiment was again camped at Milliken's Bend, but took part in the running of the Vicksburg batteries by gunboats and transports, and in the demonstration again made against Haines' and Drumgolds Bluffs by way of the Yazoo river, made about the first of May. This was a movement made for the purpose of detaining the rebel troops in Vicksburg while General Grant was crossing the Mississippi river bellow Grand Gulf. Mr. Gardner was again under fire at the battle of Champion's Hill, May 17th, and at Black river the same day. On the next day he met the enemy outside the Vicksburg entrenchments, and the following day, May 19, 1863, was in that deadly charge made against the north face of Stockade Redan on the Grave Yard road. In this charge the regiment lost forty-four percent of the men in line, its colors being struck fifty-five times and the flag-staff being nearly shot off in two places, there being seventeen men killed and wounded with the colors. Sergeant Gardner was the only sergeant left alive in his company. He was one of a few who reached and entered the ditch on the outside of the rebel works. After this the military experiences of Sergeant Gardner were somewhat quiet until the surrender of the rebel army July 4, 1863, "Though something was always doing." On the day following the fall of Vicksburg Captain Gardner's regiment was sent to meet the rebel army that under General Johnson had been threatening to attack from Jackson, Mississippi. He was in a skirmishing that lasted from July 10th to the 17th, when Johnson retreated to the South and the strain was over. During the engagement on the 17th Sergeant Gardner personally captured four rebels, soldiers of the command known as the New Orleans "Tigers." For some weeks the regiment was in camp at Fox's Plantation, but September 27th was ordered to Vicksburg, and from there to Memphis, to reinforce General Grant at Chattanooga. While on the way the command was attacked by General Chalmers, with not less than 3,500 troops, while the entire Union force did not exceed 600 men, without artillery, of which the enemy had five pieces. The rebels were held off four hours by fierce fighting when reinforcements arrived from Germantown, and the day was saved, though at an expense of one hundred and twenty killed and wounded. the regiment reached Corinth October 12th, and continued its line of march across the Tennessee river, and over the mountains to Chattanooga, reaching there November 20th. After three days of rest in camp the regiment moved with three days cooked rations and a hundred rounds of ammunition, the brigade crossing the Tennessee river in one hundred and sixteen pontoon boats. After crossing the river it captured the entire rebel picket line, one man only getting away, who cried out "Yanks! Yanks! My God the river is full of Yanks." The regiment took a gallant part in the battle of Mission Ridge, and in the pursuit of General Bragg and his beaten army to Greysville, Georgia. The next duty of this emphatically fighting regiment was to march to the relief of General Burnside at Knoxville, Tennessee. After the retreat of General Longstreet, the regiment went into winter quarters at Huntsville, Alabama, where it remained until the last of April, 1864, when it received orders to march to Nashville.
Sergeant Gardner was made first Lieutenant, May 26, 1864, and was assigned to the One Hundredth Colored Infantry as senior First Lieutenant, at once reporting for duty at Camp Foster, where he was assigned to the command of Company A. Until the 10th of August he was actively and laboriously engaged in fitting his men for the field. They were then pronounced fit for active service, and were detailed to guard the railroad from Nashville to Johnstonville. Company A had in its special care a long trestle work and bridge, and here a strong block house was built, in which the company was stationed until the near approach of General Forest called in all near by forces to protect Nashville from a threatened attack at his hands. Captain Gardner and his colored troops took part in the battle of Nashville, fought December 15th and 16th, 1864, having charge of the skirmish line in front of his brigade. His regiment lost one hundred and thirty-three men, and the brigade four hundred and sixty-eight, - fifty per cent, more than was sustained by any other brigade on this bloody field. He assisted in the pursuit of the retreating rebels, and ended with a battle at Decatur, Alabama, with the rebel General Roddy. After this engagement Mr. Gardner and his command returned to Nashville, where he resumed his former occupation of guarding the railroad at the old station. He was promoted captain of the One Hundredth United States Colored Infantry, July 18, 1865, and was mustered out of service with his regiment December 26, 1865, rounding out a service of four years, two months and twenty-four days, without a wound or a day in the hospital. This is a record of which he may justly be proud, covering as it does a period of long and bloody warfare, in which he was an active participant most of the time, always being found among the "bravest of the brave." The pen of the historian lingers lovingly over such a story, and is reluctant to dismiss it.
After his return from the army Captain Gardner engaged in the milling business at Auburn, Fayette county, Iowa, where he remained until 1873 when he removed to Elgin, to engage in the grain business. In August, 1877, he set up in the same line at West Union, to which he added stock buying. In August, 1880, he left West Union and located at Rock Rapids, Lyon county, where he built the first grain warehouse on the line of the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha railroad, and soon became a prominent dealer in all kinds of grain, fuel and farm machinery. He built elevators at Doon, Ash Creek, Lester and Larchwood. For years he has been an active member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and is a past commander of Dunlap Post, No.147, Department of Iowa. He has been quartermaster general of this department, and was aide de camp on the staff of Governor Larrabee with the rank of lieutenant colonel.
Captain Gardner was married April 8, 1866, to Miss Emma Celestia Simar, "the girl he left behind when he went forward to fight the battles of his country." She was a daughter of Ephraim and Lurinda (Sweet) Simar. Her grandfather was born in Saxony, Germany, where he was educated as a priest, but not liking the profession, and disbelieving the creed, he refused to be ordained. This stand upon his part compelled him to leave his native land. He fled to the United States, where he lived and died in peace. He excelled as a musician.
The thirteenth regiment of the regular army has a long and brilliant history. At one time General Sherman was its commanding colonel, and General Sheridan was a captain of one of its companies. Captain Gardner and his wife are members of the Christian church at Rock Rapids, Iowa, and have been for years.
~Submitted by Don Gardner
JOHN A. GARRETT, a native of Carlisle, Sullivan County, Indiana, was born on the 15th of November, 1824. He was a graduate of Hanover College and of the Indiana University. During the War with Mexico he enlisted a a private in the Fourth Indiana Infantry and was in the army of General Scott which captured the City of Mexico. In the fall of 1857 Mr. Garrett came to Iowa stopping for a time in Des Moines and at Leon. In 1859 he became a resident of Newton in Jasper County where he was engaged in mercantile pursuits. When the Civil War began he enlisted in the military service; in August, 1861, he recruited a company which was incorporated with the Tenth Iowa Infantry of which he was appointed captain. He took part in several engagements, where he distinguished himself and in August, 1862, was promoted to lieutenant-colonel of the Twenty-second Iowa Infantry. Soon after he was commissioned colonel of the Fortieth Infantry and commanded that regiment in the campaign against Little Rock and in the Battle of Jenkin's Ferry, remaining in command to the close of the war.
~Source: 1903 Biographies
G. W. GARTIN
G[eorge]. W. GARTIN, farmer, section 8, Middle Fork Township, was born in Fulton County, Indiana, January 31, 1842. His parents were Felix and Phoebe (MOYER) GARTIN, the former a native of Virginia, and the latter of Clermont County, Ohio. They were married in Indiana, and had a family of eight children - Griffith, George W., Anderson, Charles and Nancy (twins), Allen, Mary Amanda and Robert.
When our subject was thirteen years of age, his parents removed to Lucas County, Iowa; settled in Davis County for a short time, then returned to Indiana, locating in Miami County, where they resided until 1858, then returned to Lucas County, settling six miles south of Chariton. He was reared on a farm, and received his education in the common schools.
October 24, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Thirteenth Iowa Infantry, and was in several of the famous battles of the war. He was at Shiloh, siege of Vicksburg, Kenesaw Mountain, siege of Atlanta, and in SHERMAN's march to the sea, then marched to Goldsboro, North Carolina. He served as musician until the siege of Atlanta, when he shouldered the musket, and was mustered out as Orderly Sergeant. He was honorably discharged in July, 1865, and returned to Lucas County.
In the spring of 1869 he removed to Bates County, Missouri, where he lived eighteen months, then returned to Lucas County and remained until 1875, when he settled upon his present farm, which was then in a wild state. It is now well cultivated and well improved. He has a comfortable house surrounded with maples, an orchard, barn and out-buildings for stock.
He was married March 25, 1864, to Miss Marietta THRELDKELD of Lucas County, and they have five children - Rosetta Belle, Thomas, Stephen, Franklin and Eugene. The father and sons play fife and drums, and they form one of the best martial bands in Southern Iowa.
Mr. GARTIN is a member of the Anti-Horse-Thief Association is president of the same. Politically he is a Republican. Postoffice, Redding.
NOTE: George Washington GARTIN died on October 25, 1928 with interment at Rose Hill Cemetery, Mount Ayr, Ringgold County, Iowa.
Biography & Historical Record of Ringgold County, Iowa, Pp. 327-28, 1887.
WPA Graves Survey
from Biography & Historical Record of Ringgold County, Iowa Lewis Publishing Company of Chicago, 1887, Pp. 327-28
~Transcription and note by Sharon R. Becker, March of 2009
CONDUCE H. GATCH was born near Milford, Ohio, July 25, 1825. He grew to manhood on his father's farm attending the common schools during winters and laboring on the farm through the working season. After becoming of age he took a regular course in Augusta College, Kentucky, and then studied law at Xenia, Ohio, where he was admitted to the bar. He settled at Kenton where he was chosen prosecuting attorney and later member of the State Senate. Mr. Gatch was a delegate to the first National Republican Convention which nominated General John C. Fremont for President. At the beginning of the Rebellion Mr. Gatch raised a company for the Thirty-third Ohio Infantry of which he was commissioned captain. He participated in several battles and was promoted to lieutenant-colonel of the regiment. He removed to Iowa in 1866, entering upon the practice of law. In 1885 he was elected to the Iowa Senate, where he served eight years. He was the author of many important laws among which was the one founding the Historical Department of Iowa and a general law promoting the organization of public libraries in towns and cities. He was the author of a history of the Des Moines River Land Grant and the legislation and litigation following, published in the Annals of Iowa. He died at his home on the 1st of July, 1897.
~Source: 1903 Biographies
JAMES L. GEDDES was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, on the 19th of March, 1827. He graduated at the British Military Academy at Calcutta, India, and served in the British army for seven years. He was awarded a medal for gallant service. In 1857 he settled on a farm in Benton County, Iowa. In August, 1861, he raised a company of volunteers for the Eighth Iowa Infantry of which he was chosen captain. When the regiment was organized he was commissioned lieutenant-colonel and in February, 1862 was promoted to colonel. At the Battle of Shiloh Colonel Geddes greatly distinguished himself and his regiment was handled with skill that won the admiration and warm commendation of the commanding General. In the Mobil campaign Colonel Geddes commanded a brigade and won additional honors in the battle which resulted in the capture of the Spanish Fort. He was promoted to Brigadier-General. In 1870 General Geddes was chosen cashier and steward of the State Agricultural College and in 1871 he was appointed professor of Military Tactics and Engineering and a few years later became vice-president of the college and treasurer of the institution. He was an exceedingly valuable officer of the college but was removed by a majority of a board of the trustees unfriendly to him, from the positions he had long filled with marked ability. His removal aroused a storm of indignation among the students, his associates on the faculty and the people of the State generally which soon resulted in his restoration to a number of the positions from which he had been displaced.
~Source: 1903 Biographies
FRANCIS E. GIBBONEY
Francis E. GIBBONEY, section 3, Riley Township, was born in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, December 14, 1829. His parents, Benjamin and Margaret (KENDALL) GIBBONEY, were also natives of Pennsylvania, residing there until 1838, when they moved to Licking County, Ohio, and from there in May, 1846, to Louisa County, Iowa, where our subject attained his majority.
In 1856 he went to Kansas, and lived in that State and Missouri until the breaking out of the war of the Rebellion. In June, 1861, he went to Fort Leavenworth and enlisted at the first call for three years' volunteers, and was assigned to Company C, First Kansas Infantry. He participated in the battle at Wilson's Creek, where the gallant General LYONS was killed. His regiment lost heavily, Company C having twelve men killed and thirty-six wounded. Mr. GIBBONEY was shot through the right arm, and so disabled as to necessitate his discharge. He now receives a pension of $10 a month.
After his discharge he returned to Louisa County, and in 1869 located in Ringgold County, buying his present homestead which contains eighty acres of good land, which he has brought under cultivation, it being wild land when he bought it. He also owns ten acres of valuable timber land.
Mr. GIBBONEY was married October 17, 1872, to Amelia A. BUTLER, who was born in Belmont County, Ohio, January 21, 1841, daughter of Thomas and Sarah A. BUTLER. They have had two children - Benjamin Thomas, who died in infancy, April 14, 1874, and Sarah Margaret, born November 4, 1877.
Mrs. GIBBONEY is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. GIBBONEY is a
member of Garnet Lodge, No. 416, F. & A.M., and Ellis C. Miller Post, G. A. R. In politics he is a Republican. He was one of the patriotic "Free-State" men who fought under Jim LANE to save Kansas from having slavery forced upon her by the slaveholders of the South, and has in the past suffered much for the cause of freedom and the Union.
Mr. GIBBONEY's father died in Muscatine, Iowa, in 1850, and his mother in September, 1878. He has three sisters living - Mrs. Elizabeth F. BROWN, of Riley Township; Mrs. Jane G. CROW and Mrs. Sarah M. WOODRUFF, of Louisa County. His only brother, James B. GIBBONEY, was a very prominent citizen of Louisa County, and at the time of his death was county auditor, a position he had filled ten years.
NOTE: Francis E. GIBBONEY died January 16, 1917. Amelia A. (BUTLER) died April
7, 1902. Francis and Amelia were interred at Rose Hill Cemetery, Mount Ayr, Ringgold County, Iowa. Francis' father Benjamin GIBBONEY was born in 1798, and died in 1850. Francis' mother Margaret (KENDALL) GIBBONEY was born in 1796, and died in 1878. Benjamin and Margaret were interred at Grandview Cemetery, Louisa County, Iowa. James B. GIBBONEY was born in 1835, and died in 1883 with interment at Grandview Cemetery, Louisa county, Iowa. Sarah M. (GIBBONEY) WOODRUFF was born in 1827, and died in 1894 with interment at Grandview Cemetery, Louisa County, Iowa. Jane (GIBBONEY) CROW was born in 1823, and died in 1893 with interment at Grandview Cemetery, Louisa County, Iowa.
Biography & Historical Record of Ringgold County, Iowa, p. 256, 1887.
WPA Graves Survey
~Transcription and note by Sharon R. Becker, January of 2009.
JAMES I. GILBERT was born in Kentucky in 1824 and removed to Iowa in 1852, making his home at Lansing, Allamakee County, where he was a commission merchant when the Civil War began. In August, 1862, he was appointed colonel of the Twenty-seventh Regiment of Iowa Volunteer Infantry, He distinguished himself in the capture of Fort De Russey on the Red River, leading his regiment in a most gallant charge which captured the works. After the Battle of Nashville he was promoted to Brigadier-General for distinguished services and before the close of the war was brevetted Major-General.
~Source: 1903 Biographies
CHARLES G. GILMAN was a native of the State of Maine, where he was born on the 22d of February, 1833. He attended an academy at Winterport where he prepared for college and entered the sophomore class of what is now Colby University and studied medicine with his father who was an eminent physician. In 1857 he came to Iowa, stopping at Dubuque, where he became largely engaged in the wholesale lumber trade. When the Civil War began he was active in raising four companies for the service, cooperating with his friend, Francis J. Herron, who became one of the most brilliant officers from Iowa as the war progressed. In 1858, when the Dubuque & Sioux City Railroad was pushing its line westward, Mr. Gilman established the town of Earlville by erecting twenty-eight buildings for residences and business. During the years 1860-61 he built elevators at Monticello. Marion and Cedar Falls, besides buying water power and erecting flouring mills. In 1864 he wrote articles for the newspapers urging the improvement of the rapids in the Mississippi River at Davenport and Keokuk, in which he had the cooperation of the St. Louis Times, then conducted by Stilson Hutchins, the Chicago Journal, then edited by Frank Gilbert, both formerly Iowa editors, the Dubuque, Davenport, Burlington and Keokuk papers. This movement resulted in the holding of conventions which brought about action of Congress making appropriations for the work that was finally accomplished. In 1866 Mr. Gilman made the first soundings of the Mississippi River at Dubuque for the railroad bridge which was later built. In 1867 he organized a company for the construction of a railroad from Ackley via Eldora to Marahalltown, which finally resulted in the building of the Central Railroad of Iowa, the first north and south line in the State. From 1867 to 1872 Mr. Gilman devoted his energies to this enterprise as president and superintendent of the construction company.
~Source: 1903 Biographies
JOSIAH GIVEN was born in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, on the 31st of August, 1828. He obtained his education in the district schools. When the War with Mexico began he enlisted as a drummer and a few months later became a private soldier in the Fourth Ohio Infantry and served to the close of the war. Upon returning home he began the study of law with J. R. Barcroft and an older brother at Millersburg. He was admitted to the bar in 1850 and the following year was chosen Prosecuting Attorney. Later he was admitted into partnership with J. R. Barcroft and at the beginning of the War of the Rebellion, raised a company of which he was chosen captain and entered the service in the Twenty-fourth Ohio Infantry. He was promoted to lieutenant-colonel of the regiment and in 1863 was appointed colonel of the Seventy-fourth Ohio Infantry. After the war he was elected postmaster of the National House of Representatives, serving two years. In May, 1868, he removed to Iowa, settling in Des Moines where he resumed the practice of law. In January, 1972, he became District Attorney of the Fifth District, serving three years. At the close of his term he entered into partnership with with J. R. Barcroft in the practice of his profession. In November, 1886, he was elected judge of the Seventh Judicial District, serving until March 12, 1889, when he was appointed judge of the Supreme Court by Governor Larrabee to fill a vacancy occasioned by the resignation of Judge J. R. Reed. He was twice reelected, serving as Associate Judge and Chief Justice until December 31, 1901. Judge Given has always been a popular public speaker at soldiers' gatherings and has long been a prominent member of the Grand Army of the Republic. He was a Democrat in early life but became a Republican upon the organization of that party.
~Source: 1903 Biographies
SAMUEL L. GLASGOW was born in Adams County, Ohio, on the 17th of September, 1838. He was educated at South Salem Academy and in the fall of 1853 came to Iowa and first located at Oskaloosa where he was admitted to the bar in 1858. He soon after removed to Corydon where he opened a law office. In July, 1861, he assisted in raising Company I, of the Fourth Iowa Volunteer Infantry and was chosen first lieutenant. In 1862 he was promoted to lieutenant-colonel of the Twenty-third Regiment. Upon the death of Colonel Kinsman he was promoted to the command of the regiment, making an excellent officer and before the close of the war attained the rank of brevet Brigadier-General. Upon his return home he was elected on the Republican ticket Representative in the Eleventh General Assembly. In 1867 he was appointed United States Consul to Havre, France, where he remained several years. In 1872 he was sent to Glasgow, Scotland, as United States Consul.
~Source: 1903 Biographies
JAMES W. GLENDENNING, farmer, section 22, Middle Fork Township, was born in Rush County, Indiana, May 2, 1842, son of James and Elizabeth LENDENNING, natives of Tennessee. He was the fifth of a family of nine children. When he was six years of age his parents removed to Audrain County, Missouri, where they remained several years, then went to Galloway County, thence to Gentry County, locating near Lott's Grove. In the spring of 1861 they came to Ringgold County.
Our subject was reared a farmer, and obtained his education in the common schools. In the summer of 1861 [August 15] he enlisted in Company G, Fourth Iowa Infantry, and was honorably discharged [January 1, 1861, Rolla, Missouri] on account of disability. In March, 1862, he re-enlisted in Company G, Fourth Missouri Cavalry, and served until the close of the war. This regiment was in most of the principal engagements in Missouri and Arkansas. He was honorably discharged at the close of the war [July 17, 1865, New Orleans, Louisiana], and returned home.
He was married October 4, 1866, to Miss Delilah JARVIS, formerly of Ohio, daughter of Phillip and Mary JARVIS.
In 1867 he located in Rice Township, and two years later purchased his present farm, which at that time consisted of 160 acres of wild land. He has added to and improved it, until he now has 200 acres of as good land as can be found in the township. He has a fine two-story residence erected in 1883, main part, 14 x 30 feet, with L, 14 x 16 feet, with a porch eight feet. The house is built in modern style, well furnished, and is one of the best buildings in the township. He is engaged principally in stock-raising and feeding.
Mr. and Mrs. GLENDENNING are the parents of six children -- William, Mary, Clara Belle, Ella, Sadie and Verdue. Gretta is deceased.
Mr. GLENDENNING is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and politically affiliates with the Republican party. He is very highly respected in the community where he is known, and is one of the leading men in his township. Postoffice, Ingart.
NOTE: James W. GLENDENNING died on January 31, 1916. Delilah (JARVIS) GLENDENNING was born January 27, 1839, and died on January 25, 1916.
James and Delilah were interred at Middle Fork Cemetery, Ringgold County, Iowa.
Gretta M. GLENDENNING died at the age of 1 month and 9 days on February 6, 1879, with interment at Middle Fork Cemetery.
Sadie C. GLENDENNING died on May 18, 1915 at the age of 40 years, 2 months and 9 days, with interment at Middle Fork Cemetery.
Biography & Historical Record of Ringgold County, Iowa, Pp. 358-59, 1887.
American Civil War Soldiers Database, ancestry.com
WPA Graves Survey
from Biography & Historical Record of Ringgold County, Iowa Lewis Publishing Company of Chicago, 1887, Pp. 358-59
~Transcription and note by Sharon R. Becker, March of 2009
GEORGE L. GODFREY was born on the 4th of November, 1833, in Orleans County, Vermont. In the fall of 1855, he came to Iowa, stopping at Dubuque, where he engaged in school teaching, and in 1859 took up his permanent residence in Des Moines. He began his law studies with Judge C. C. Cole and was admitted to the bar just before the War of the Rebellion began. In May, 1861, he enlisted in Company D, of the famous Second Iowa Volunteer Infantry and in December was promoted to second lieutenant and in June, 1862, became first lieutenant and adjutant of the regiment. He served with distinction in the great battles of Fort Donelson and Shiloh, and marching to Corinth with Grant's army he bore a conspicuous part in the two days' desperate battle in that famous town, having two horses shot under him. When the First Alabama Cavalry was organized from Union men Captain Godfrey was commissioned major, in 1863, and was soon after promoted to lieutenant-colonel. In this regiment he served with distinction in Sherman's famous march to the sea. At the close of the war he was mustered out with his regiment at Huntsville, Alabama. Before his return to Iowa Colonel Godfrey was elected a member of the House of the Eleventh General Assembly on the Republican ticket. In the spring of 1866 he completed his law course at the State University at iowa City and began the practice of his profession. He served as city solicitor and assistant United States District Attorney for several years. In 1876 he was one of the presidential electors chosen by the Republicans. In 1870 he was appointed receiver of the United States Land Office at Des Moines. In 1882, upon the creation of the Utah Commission, Colonel Godfrey was appointed a member. The object of the Commission was the suppression of polygamy in the Territory. The Commission consisted of five members appointed by the President, was non-partisan and had supervision of all elections. The membership was changed from time to time, with the exception of Colonel Godfrey who served during three administrations and was for four years president of the Commission. When the Commission was established to superintend the erection of monuments on the battle-field of Shiloh, Governor Shaw appointed Colonel Godfrey one of the members. In 1903 he was appointed surveyor of the port of Des Moines.
~Source: 1903 Biographies
HARVEY GRAHAM was born in the State of Pennsylvania in the year 1827 and came to Iowa many years before the War of the Rebellion. He was a mill-wright by trade and lived at Iowa City. In the spring of 1861 he was chosen first lieutenant of Company B of the First iowa Infantry and was in command of the company at the Battle of Wilson's Creek where he was wounded. Upon the organization of the Twenty-second Iowa Infantry he was appointed major of the regiment and soon after was promoted to the rank of lieutenant-colonel. In May, 1864, he became colonel and took command of the regiment, serving with gallantry in Sheridan's campaign in the Shenandoah Valley. He remained in the service to the close of the war.
~Source: 1903 Biographies
GREGORY, C C
Found on FindaGrave.com and then in Spirit Lake Beacon of Spirit Lake, Iowa ( newspapers on Ancestry.com) and also Lake Park News, Lake Park, Iowa Feb. 17, 1935 probably SPIRIT LAKE BEACON (found in FindaGrave web site for Silver Lake cem.-Dickinson Co., Iowa)
C.C. GREGORY, CIVIL WAR VETERAN , DIES THURSDAY
Funeral Services for Estemeed Resident Held on Sunday Afternoon
Charle C. Gregory, lake Park's only remaining Civil War veteran quietly passed away at his home south of town at 4o'clock last Thursay afternoon.
Although Mr. Gregory had been steadily failing in health the last eight weeks, his deth cast a pail of sorrow over the community as his numberless friends voiced the sad news one to another. Life long resident here, his influence in community affairs, his upright character and indomitable courage had created among his fellow citizens the highest respect and and esteem.
Coming to this community in 1886, Mr. Gregory was a pioneer in every sense of the report. With his good wife who survives, he came here when neighbors were miles apart, when, raw prairie lands were on every hand, when roads as we know them had not been laid out or graded; travel was by team and wagon; a team, plow, wagon and a few small implements were the only equipment found on farms. By hard work, thrift , cooperation with other citizens , he was privileged to accumulate a competence and to see this community emerge from wild grass and swamps to one of the foremost agricultural sections of thenation; from pioneer farming equipment consisting mostly of brawn to this of today when mechanical power and complicated machinery do most of the work; from team and wagon transportation to fast automobiles and airplanes and graveled and paved roads. And in this most interesting period of fast changing modes of living , he did his full share to bringing to us of this day the comforts and conveniences unknown to him in his younger life. Indeed the efforts and untiring labors of the pioneer such as Mr. Gregory can never be comprehended and appreciated to their full extent.
Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at the home and at the Presbyterian church at 2;30 in charge of Rev. J. A. Kettle of the local Methodist church who read the following obituary:
Charles GREGORY was born in Walworth county, Wisconsin August 14, 1847 and moved to the great beyond at his home south of Lake Park February 14, 1935 being at the time of his death 87 years and 6 months of age. He was the sixth child in a family of nine children and his father and mother were John F. and Lucy Gregory.
When Mr. Gregory was two his parents moved to Cayuga county, New York when he was sixteen years old he enlisted to Co. M 16th regiment of New York, where he faithfully served his country until the close of the Civil War, and received his honorable discharge on the twenty first day of August 1865.
In 1872 the call of the West brought him to Ackley, Hardin county, Iowa and it was here he met Miss Hattie M. Howell who becam his wife Oct. 1, 1874, This worthy couple journeyed through life side by side for over sixty years. And these 60 years were happy years indeed for it was a union of hearts and hands where both faithfully did their part to make a happy home for each other and for the eight children who came to bless this home; Walter, the eldest of Hood River, Oregon has been with his parents this winter and faithfully helped care for his father during the eight weeks of his illness; Gertie , now Mrs. R. J. McIsaac of Parkdale, Oregon; Clinton of Hot Springs, S.D.; Charley, the youngest of the family of Lyle, Washington and Mrs. Anna Stapleton -Frank, Oregon, and Stanley living here at Lake Park and also thirteen grandchildren and three great grandchildren plus a host of friends and neighbors.
In 1884 Mr. and Mrs. Gregory moved to Hardy and two years later moved to Lake Park to the farm where the past 40 years have been spent.
As a pioneer in the community , he knew what harships and hard work were, but could always see the sunny side of life. He took a deep interest in all community affairs, and held numerous towhsip offices and was county supervior from this district for several years. He was also president of the Farmers Exchange at Lake Park for many years, and at the time of his death was vice-resident of the First National Bank of Lake Park.
In early manhood he gave his heart to Christ and united with the Baptist Church in New York home. Later in Hardin county, Iowa he joined the Christian church, as there was no Baptist church in that community. Throught out his life he was faithful to his Master, and practiced the teachings of Christ daily in his home life. The Golden Rule had a real meaning to him an his life as he led it , will be a gold chain drawing his loved ones to meet him later in the Heavenly home.
He was the last remaining Civil War veteran of the western Dickinson County and almost the last one for the entire county.
Throughout his life he was true to the old falg, and in the memory of his comrades and this last Decoration day was the first service he had ever missed since the day was established. Nevertheless he and his good wife helped to make the bouquets for the soldier's graves that day as usual something they had done every Decoration Day since there was a soldier's grave to decorate in our cemetery on the hillside. As long as he was able he went to the cemetery and placed these bouquets on his comrades' graves with his own hands.
He was a good soldier in peace as well as in war, always encouraging those around him to keep the law, to be good citizens in the fullest sense of the word, to be helpful in time of need and kind to all. to know him was to love him. The best portion of a good man's life are the countless little unremembered acts of kindness and of love." and while we will note the vacant chair, and miss his kindly smile we will still have beautiful memories that nothing can take from us as these memories of his gentle words and council will continue to be our guide, Good deeds never die so his influence will still live on.
"Dear ones, greive not , he has only gone before. He's free from sorrow , care and pain, Safe on the other side. He can't return but God is good , and some glad day, we pray , we'll meet together once again no more good byes to say." R.M.G.
A quartet composed of Kenneth Boyer, Byron Blair, Irvin Schafer and Forrest Flint sung three selections accompanied by Mrs. H.G. Shafer at the piano. Members of the local Legion Post and of the Spirit Lake , Milford and Terril Posts attended in a body and had charge at the cemetery in the final rites for their comrade.
Relatives and friends from out of town attending the funeral weree Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Strayhorn of Hurley, Clarence Hatch of Ackley, Vern Gregory and son Gregg of Milford, Mr. and Mrs. Theo Strathman and daughter Helen and Mr. and Mrs. Paul Byers and her mother , Mrs. Alice Smith of Marshall, Minn., Mrs. N.D. Metz, Mr and Mrs. Ray Metz and son of Worthington, Minn, Ray and Dallas Rensberger of Sioux Falls, S.D. , Dr. and Mrs. F. Parker of hartley, Leon and Vera Mills of Perry, Mrs. Ida McFarland and Mr. and Mrs. Lee McFarland of Harris, Carl Arnold of Swea city, C.W. Lynn of Sutherland and Mr. and Mrs. Lynn Clark of Cleghorn.
Spirit Lake Beacon, Feb. 21, 1935
Sprit Lake, Iowa
WESTERN DICKINSON'S ONLY SURVIVING CIVIL WAR VETERAN PASSED AWAY AT HIS EXCELSIOR TWP. HOME FRIDAY NIGHT
A RESIDENT OF HIS SAME EXCELSIOR FARM HOME SINCE 1886
Western Dickinson county mourns the passing of its only surviving Civil war veteran, C. C. Gregory who passed away at his home during Friday night. Mr. Gregory has been in failing health for several months, and of late has been growing weaker.
Mr. Gregory purchased his Excelsior township home in the 70's while employed on the rail road and since 1886 when he retired from his railroad work he has made it his home.
Charles C. Gregory was born in Wallworth County, Wisconsin August 14, 1847, and passed to the Great Beyond from his home south of lake Park, Iowa February 14, 1935, at the age of 87 years and 6 months.
He was the sixth child of John F. and Lucy Gregory in a family of nine. At the age of two years Mr. Gregory went with his parents to live in Cayuga County, New York.
Mr. Gregory was one of the few Civil war veterans still active. He was a private in Company M, 16th Regiment , New York heavy artillary, and was at Fortress Monroe most of his 22 months of service. He was discharged at New Bern, North Carolina, too far away to take part in the grand review in Washington. After the war he went back to New York and came to Iowa in 1872 settling near Ackley. He was a member of the Spirit Lake post of the Grand Army of the Republic.
In 1872 the call of the West brought him to Ackley, Hardin county, Iowa, where he met Miss Hattie M. Howell of Ohio, who came to Iowa as a child. This friendship culminated in their marriage Oct. 1, 1874. They have journeyed through life, side by side for over 60 years and these years have been happy indeed for it was union of hearts and hands, where both faithfully did their part to make a happy home for each other and their eight children who came to bless their home namely: Walter of Hood River, Ore, who has been with his parents this winter and faithfully helped care for his father during the eight weeks of his illness; Gertie, now Mrs. R. J. McIsaac, of Parkdale, ore; Clinton of Hot Springs, S. D. ; Charles of Lyle , Washington; Anna, Mrs. Fred Stapleton ; Frank, Ora and Stanley living here at Lake Park. Also 13 grandchildren and three great grandchildren and a host of friends and neighbors.
In 1884 Mr. and Mrs. Gregory moved to Hardy, Iowa and two years late moved to the farm south of lake Park, where they have continued to reside for 49 years. They could always see the sunny side of life.
He took a deep interest in all community affairs and held numerous township offices. He was county supervisor from this district for several years and was president of the Farmer's Exchange at Lake Park for many years. At the time of his death he was vice president of the First National Bank of Lake Park.
In early manhood he gave his heart to Christ and united with the Baptist church in his New York home. Later in Hardin county , Iowa , he joined the Christian church. Throughout his life he was faithful to his Master and practiced the teachings of Christ daily in his home life. The Golden Rule had a real meaning to him , and his life as he led it, will be a golden chain, drawing his loved ones to meet him later in the Heavenly home,
Throughout his life he was true to the old flag and the memory of his comrades and last Memorial day was the fist service he had missed since the day was established. But on that day, he and his good wife helped to make the bouquets for the soldiers' graves as they had done every Decoration Day since there was a soldier's grave to decorate in our cemetery. As long as he was able, he went to the cemetery and placed these bouquets on his comrades graves with his own hands.
He was a good soldier in peace as well as in war, always encouraging those around him , to be good citizens in the fullest sense of the word, to be helpful in time of need and kind to all. To know him was to love him. "The best portions of a good man's life are the countless little un remembered acts of kindness and love." while we will note the vacant chair and miss his kindly smile, we will still have beautiful memories that nothing can take from us and these memories of his gentle words and council will continue to be our guide.
Good deeds never die, so his influence will still live on,
Dear ones, grieve not, he is not dead, He 's only gone before.
He's free from sorrow, care and pain, safe on the other shore.
He can't return but God is good, and some glad day we pray
We'll meet together, once again, no more goodbyes to say.--R.M. C.
Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon, February 17, at the Presbyterian church, conducted by Rev. Kettle, who used the text:
"Thou will come to thy grave in full age as a shock of corn cut down in his season.: found in Job 5:26
The American Legion attended in a body and took charge of the service at the grave. Burial was made in Silver Lake cemetery. A male quartette consisting of Kenneth Boyer, Byron Blair, Ervin Schafer and forrest Fling sang "Lead Kindly Light," " Asleep in Jesus, " and "Going Down the Valley, " with Mrs. Handley Shafer as accompanist. Pall bearers were Legionaires: Claude and Bert Arena, Roy Bowden, Carl Berger, Ray Goodell, and Oren Ray.
Those attending the funeral from out of town were: Mr. and Mrs. Ray Metz, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Metz and children of Worthington, Minn.; Mr. and Mrs. Roy Bevers, Milford; Mr and Mrs. Franklin Parker, Hartley, Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Strayhorn , Hurley, Iowa; Clarence Hatch, Ackley, Iowa; Mr. and Mrs. Theo Strathman and Helen and Mr. and Mrs. Paul Byers of Marshall, Minn., Leon and Verne Mills of Perry; Roy and Dallas Rensberger of Sioux Falls; Verne Gregory and son of Milford; Mr. and Mrs. Lee McFarland of Harris; Mr. and Mrs. Lynn Clark of Cleghorn; C. W. Lynn of Sutherland; Carl Arnold, of Swea City.
~Submitted by Sue Nitz
JOSEPH R. GORRELL was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, May 6, 1835. He attended medical lectures at the University of Pennsylvania and at Buffalo, New York, where he graduated in 1859. The doctor was a surgeon in the One Hundred Twenty-ninth Indiana Volunteers in the Civil War, and later held the same position in the Thirtieth Regiment. In 1865, Dr. Gorrell came to Iowa, locating at Newton where he resumed the practice of medicine. In 1892 he was a delegate to the Republican National Convention at Minneapolis and was a warm supporter of Blaine for President. In 1893, Dr. Gorrell was elected to the State Senate on the Republican ticket and served in the Twenty-fifth and Twenty-sixth General Assemblies. He was a radical advocate of free silver in the presidential campaign of 1896, and upon the expiration of his first term in the Senate, was nominated by the opposition to the Republican party and elected to a second term.
~Source: 1903 Biographies
George A. Gould
Held in uniform affection and esteem by those who knew him best and indeed by all those with whom he comes in contact is George A. Gould, president of the Gould Construction Company, one of those thriving industries which contribute in large measure to Davenport's prosperity and standing among cities of its size. He was born August 7, 1854, and comes of fine New England stock, among his ancestors being the usual quota of patriots. His parents were Isaac C. and Betsy R. (Read) Gould. His maternal grandfather, Benjamin Read, was a soldier in the Revolution and a captain in the war of 1812. He lived to witness the war of the Rebellion and its outcome and died in 1865 at the age of ninety-two years at Heath, Massachusetts. The father, Isaac Gould, was a mechanic and had a family of five sons and a daughter. He decided to come west, as he expressed it, "to give the boys a chance in life." Before he could get his family to Iowa, where he had preceded them, he was taken ill and lived only about six months after they finally arrived. Mr. Gould's only sister also died about one year after the death of the father being at the time of her demise about twelve years of age. Diverse fortunes befell the brothers, all those who were old enough enlisting in the Civil war. Joseph R. had been admitted to the bar and was already practicing in Rochester when the Rebellion broke out. He raised a company in Cedar county and was made first lieutenant in the Twenty-fourth Iowa Infantry. He served most of his time as quartermaster until 1863, when he was promoted to a captaincy and only four days after his promotion was killed in the valley of the Shenandoah. He left a wife and one son, Herbert, who died at the age of two years. Benjamin Gould, the second brother, enlisted at the first call from the state of New York and served as a private. Later he reenlisted and served until peace was declared, doing light duty. His wife was Sarah Glaspell, Isaac C., the third brother, also offered his life to the cause of freedom, enlisting as a private in the Eleventh Iowa Infantry, in which he served three years. Upon his reenlistment he became lieutenant in charge of colored troops and served until the close of the war. Franklin T., the fourth brother, emulated the example of the others and at the age of fifteen years ran away from home to enlist. He was admitted to the Second Iowa Cavalry and served during the entire war, having reenlisted. He married the widow of his eldest brother and resided in Davenport to the time of his death. Had the subject of the sketch been more than seven years of age when the first guns were fired at Fort Sumter, he would doubtless have been found in the thickest of the fray, but destiny had ordained otherwise. He is the last surviving member of the family, his mother having died at the age of eighty-three years. George A. Gould received his education in the public schools and found his first employment in the building department of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway. After giving efficient service there for a number of years he became superintendent of bridges and buildings, his promotion coming as a natural sequence to his prowess. In 1904 he brought into play his dormant talents as an organizer and the Gould Construction Company came into being. This enterprise has enjoyed the most abundant success, doing work of superior excellence and employing many people. Mr. Gould was married December 27, 1876, to Miss Emma Smith, and two children were born to the union. The elder, Augustus G., is vice president of the Gould Construction Company. After finishing in the public schools, he entered the Davenport Business College, taking a course in the engineering department. He is now very familiar with that subject, having been for a time associated with the Rock Island Railway and the Delaware & Lackawanna Railway. He married miss Jennie Reed and they have one child, Elizabeth. Mr. Gould's daughter, Grace E., is the wife of Orville Davies and resides in Kirksville, Missouri, her husband being a traveling salesman. They have two children, John and George. Mr. and Mrs. Gould have a delightful home at 1039 Arlington avenue. Mr. Gould belongs to the Masonic order, in which he has taken all the degrees. He is also a member of the Commercial Club and has various other affiliations. Many things have contributed to the success which he now enjoys, his determination, his poise and sound judgment, his upright life, his gift for making friends and his championship of just measures.
~Source: History of Davenport and Scott County, Vol. II by Harry E. Downer S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.
JAMES O. GOWER was born at Abbott, in the State of Maine, on the 30th of May, 1834. In 1839 he came with his father to Iowa City which became his home. He was educated at Knox College, Illinois, and at the Kentucky Military Institute. He then engaged in the banking business with his father at Iowa City. In June, 1861, he enlisted Company F for the First Iowa Cavalry and received a commission as captain. In September he was promoted to major of the Second Battalion and on the 26th of August, 1862, he became colonel of the regiment. During the latter part of his military services Colonel Gower was in command of a brigade. He was an able and accomplished officer.
~Source: History of Davenport and Scott County, Vol. II by Harry E. Downer S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.
CHARLES T. GRANGER was born in Monroe County, new York, on the 9th of October, 1835. His parents removed to Waukegan, Illinois, while he was a child, where he received his education. He was reared on a farm and as he reached manhood decided to study law. In 1854 he came to Iowa stopping in Allamakee County where he pursued his law studies, teaching school winters. In 1860 he was admitted to the bar and entered upon practice in the town of Mitchell, Mitchell County. In August, 1862, he was elected captain of Company K, of the Twenty-seventh Iowa Volunteer Infantry, serving for three years. He was in the battles of Yellow Bayou, Tupelo, Nashville and Mobile, doing excellent service. Upon retiring from the army he located at Waukon, Allamakee County. He was elected District Attorney in 1869, serving four years, when he was elected judge of the Circuit Court and served in that position until January, 1887, when he was chosen judge of the District Court, serving until January, 1889. He was elevated to the position of judge of the Supreme Court, and was Chief Justice in 1894 and 1895 and Associate Judge until January, 1901. In 1874 he was the Republican candidate for Congress in the Third District but failed of election. Judge Garnger has been a Republican since the organization of that party.
~Source: History of Davenport and Scott County, Vol. II by Harry E. Downer S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.
HENRY J. GRANNIS (from the book, University Recruits, by D W Reed)
1st Lieutenant Company C, was a native of Indiana, born in 1841. He was one of the original members of the "University Recruits" and enlisted in U.S. service September 15, 1861. He was elected 5th Sergeant and "Color Bearer" of the company by the ladies of the University upon presenting a flag to the company and upon organization of the regiment when his company became Color Company. Grannis was designated as Regimental Color Bearer which position he held "through the war." He carried the colors of the regiment at Fort Henry, Fort Donelson and Shiloh and was taken prisoner on that field, remaining prisoner until October. On the reorganization of the regiment he resumed his old position and carried the flag on every march in every campaign and during every battle in which the regiment was engaged from enlistment to muster out; a record we venture to say made by no other Color Bearer in the service. In several engagements the colors were riddled in his hands. On one occasion every guard was killed or wounded, yet strange to say Grannis never received a scratch nor suffered the flag to go from his hands. That it was always at the front and carried with the greatest gallantry every official report from the regiment testifies for every one of them makes special mention of "Our Gallant Color Bearer."
GREGORY, C C
EDWARD A. GUILBERT was born at Waukegan, Illinois, June 12, 1827. He studied medicine, taking up his residence in Dubuque, Iowa, in 1857, where he became one of the foremost homeopathic practitioners in the State. At the beginning of the Civil War he was appointed Surgeon of the Board of Enrollment of the Third District. In 1864 he recruited a company which was incorporated into the Forty-sixth Iowa Volunteers. Dr. Guilbert was especially prominent as a Mason, in which order he served in all of the high offices. For several years he edited and published a magazine called The Evergreen which was devoted to the interests of the Masonic fraternity. In 1872 he was nominated by the Liberal Republicans and Democrats for Secretary of State but was defeated. He was for many years a member of the State Board of Health and at one time its president, the first homeopathist to hold that position. He was a prominent and influential member of the Grand Army of the Republic. His death occurred at Dubuque on the 4th of March, 1900.