star Iowa Civil War Home

 IOWA IN THE CIVIL WAR  

 

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Biographies Beginning with W
Last Updated:  20 November 2007ms

MADISON M. WALDEN, seventh Lieutenant-Governor of  Iowa, was born in Ohio, in 1837. He received a good education and came to Iowa in 1853, locating at Centerville in Appanoose County. He was a printer and for a long time the able editor of the Centerville Citizen, a Republican weekly of wide influence. When the War of the Rebellion began Mr. Walden raised a company for the Sixth Infantry Regiment and was commissioned captain. In December, 1862, he resigned and in 1863 recruited a company for the Eighth Cavalry. He was taken prisoner in an engagement at Newnan, Georgia, in July, 1864. Mr. Walden was an excellent officer and remained in the service until near the close of the war when he returned to his home at Centerville. In 1866 he was a member of the House of the Eleventh General Assembly and at the close of his term was elected to the Senate for four years. But after serving one session he was nominated by the Republican State Convention for Lieutenant-Governor and elected. Before the expiration of his term he was nominated for Representative in Congress by the Republicans of the Fourth District and elected. In 1890 he was again a member of the Legislature from Appanoose County. Soon after the close of the session he received an appointment in the Treasury Department at Washington and removed to that city where he died on the 24th of July, 1892. Governor Walden was an able editor, a graceful writer, an influential legislator and an accomplished presiding officer.

WILLIAM WALLACE WARNER,          (from the book, University Recruits, by D W Reed)
first Captain of Company C, was born in Wadsworth, Medina County, Ohio, February 9, 1836, where
he lived with his parents until he was twelve years old, when the possibilities of the great west attracted his
parents to Iowa, then quite the limit of civilization.

His boyhood presented the characteristics usual to the American youth; attending school during the winter and assisting with the farm work during his vacation.  Not only did he perform manual labor, but also became thoroughly acquainted with his father's business and shared all the responsibilities attendant upon life in a new country.  When he was about nineteen years old he began to appreciate the worth of a thorough education, and resolved to make the acquirement of an education the chief aim of his life.  Iowa had not, at that time, developed her system of public schools and colleges, and he returned to his native state and entered the Methodist University at Berea, Ohio.  Being the only son, and realizing that he was much needed at home, he returned after an absence of one school year.  The following winter the Upper Iowa University, at Fayette, was ready for students and he became a member of that school, but his college course was interrupted by frequent vacations when extra farm work called him home, or when obliged to teach in order to provide funds necessary to continue his college course.  He had just entered his senior year when his country demanded his services and to him the call of his country was the call of duty.  He informed his family of his decision and although he was an only son and brother, his parents and sisters sympathized and aided him in all his plans, and when some one pitied the loyal mother because she was called to part thus with her only son, she replied with true Saprtan courage, "I pity the mother whose sons are not willing to make the sacrifice and I would that I had a dozen such sons that I might give them all to their country."

On the 15th of September, 1861, W. W. Warner's name, together with a number of others students, was signed to the muster roll.  He and his classmate, D. B. Henderson, at once commenced holding meetings at Clermont, Elgin and other places, seeking recruits for the company.  So successful were they that on the 25th the company was delared full.

At the election of officers, Warner was unanimously elected Captain of the Company and received orders to place his company in quarters and commence regular drills.

The company was ordered to Dubuque and on the 24th of October was mustered into the United States service as Company C, 12th Iowa Infantry.

While in camp at Benton Barracks, Missouri, January, 1862, Captain Warner was taken sick and grew rapidly worse until it was evedent that a change of climate and diet must be had and he was sent home on sick leave and rejoined his company at Fort Donelson about March 1st.

He was in command of his company at Shiloh and was, with them taken prisoner.  Extracts from an account of Warner's prison life written by his sister, Mrs. M. A. Loomis, are as follows:  "The men had been fighting all day and had scacely tasted food.  Their captors took them to a corn field not far away where they stood all night in a drenching rain.  The next day they were marched to Corinth and loaded into box cars and sent to Memphis, where they were quartered in a warehouse and furnished the first food the enemy had provided.  At Talladega the officers were confined in the college building and succeeded in picking the lock and gaining admission to the college library from which books were secured that furnished them with mental food, almost necessary to their existence, and served to divert their minds from their sufferings and from the pangs of hunger.  From one of their prisons Captains Earle and Warner attempted to excape.

They procured citizen's clothing, passed through a scuttle to the roof; let themselves down to an adjoining building and made their way some distance along connecting roofs until they found a way to the ground; they walked thirteen miles, then took the cars, telling the conductor that they were Confederate soldiers returning to their regiments from sick leave.  They had rode some distance, and had become confident that they were to succeed when a Rebel officer, who had been connected with the prison guard, came into the car and recognized Captain Earle by his flowing beard and had them arrested at once and returned to prison.  Soon after, with thirteen others, they planned another escape and worked incessantly day after day on a tunnel which passed under the guard line and to a fence surrounding the prison.  The tunnel was at last completed and arrangements made for leaving the prison.  Captain Warner was to go first and was to remove a board from the fence and pass out.  He attempted to pull the board off when a nail squawked; the guard heard it and the plot was discovered, an alarm raised, the old cellar searched and the whole party arrested and confined in a small, negro prison, twenty-one days with just enough food to sustain life.  The air was so foul, the place so cramped that when they were finally removed from the dreadful den, some of them could not walk but were obliged to crawl out on their hands and knees.  On the 13th of October, 1862, the officers were paroled.  Captain Warner had been home but a few days when he learned that his men were in St. Louis without money or clothing; many of them not able to procure writing material for letters to their home.  He at once went to their relief and succeeded in procuring pay and clothing for them.  

While before Vicksburg he was wounded in the arm and was urged to procure leave of absence and endeavor to recruit his health which had not been good since his experience in prison.  While in the field near Vicksburg he wrote:May 21st, "I have not undressed this month, and have not washed my face and hands but twice in a week.  I have heard men offer 25 cents for a canteen of water, at that rate water is too expensive for face washing."  Early in October he succeeded in obtaining a short furlough hoping to recover his health but there was little time for improvement.  His parents and sisters saw that fearful inroads had been made on his constitution and urged him to resign or at least ask an extension of his leave but he put aside all personal considerations and returned to his regiment, but was soon obliged to go to hospital at Memphis, Tenn., where he died, December 12, 1863.  After many weary delays his father reached Memphis to learn that twenty-four hours before his arrival death had taken his only son.  Lieutenant Reed accompanied the stricken father to the desolate home and Captain Warner was laid to rest at Clermont, awaiting the glad time when wars shall have ceased and the Prince of Peace shall have come to reign and shall give a truer crown than any wreath that man can wear.

FITZ HENRY WARREN was one of the most brilliant and versatile of the notable men of Iowa. He was a native of New England, having been born in Brimfield, Massachusetts, January 11, 1816. He received a liberal education and first engaged in business as a merchant. In August, 1844, he removed to Iowa Territory and located at Burlington where he engaged in milling. He took a deep interest in politics from boyhood and was an active Whig. It is believed that he was the first to propose the nomination of General Zachary Taylor for President and he was a delegate to the National Whig Convention in 1848 which nominated the hero of Buena Vista. Soon after the inauguration of President Taylor, Fitz Henry Warren was appointed First Assistant Postmaster General. After the death of the President and the accession of Millard Fillmore, who approved the fugitive slave law, Warren resigned in disgust at the subserviency of the new President to the slave power. Through the influence of the antislavery Whigs Mr. Warren was made secretary of the National Executive Committee. In the long senatorial contest before the Fifth General Assembly in 1855, Mr. Warren was one of the prominent candidates but James Harlan was finally chosen. Mr. Warren was chairman of the Des Moines County delegation to the convention of 1856 which organized the Republican party and was one of the delegates to the National Convention which nominated General Fremont for President. He was one of the most brilliant political writers in the State and a frequent contributor to the editorial columns of the Burlington Hawkeye. In 1861 he was one of the chief editorial writers on the New York Tribune and the author of the famous "On to Richmond" articles. He returned to Iowa and helped to raise the First Iowa Cavalry of which he was appointed colonel. In 1862 he was promoted to Brigadier-General with a command in the army under General Samuel R. Curtis, in Missouri. In 1863 General Warren was the leading candidate before the Republican State Convention for Governor, but by a combination of the supporters of other candidates, Warren was defeated. Before the close of the war he was brevetted Major-General. In 1866 he was elected to the State Senate and after serving one session was appointed by the President, Minister to Guatemala where he served two years. He died at Brimfield, Massachusetts, in June, 1878. Judge Francis Springer said of this brilliant man: "General Warren was one of the keenest and most incisive writers, the most scholarly of our statesmen and one of the best men we ever had in the State."

 

FOR ROBERT WARRICK

WILLIAM HAMILTON YOUNG

Among the prominent stock-raisers of Decatur county is William Hamilton YOUNG, who owns and operates three hundred and eighty-five acres of excellent land in Richland township. He was born in that township onthe 29th of September, 1854.  His father, John D. YOUNG, was a native of Indiana and came of German ancestry. He removed to Decatur county, Iowa, with his parents, John L. and Judy A. YOUNG, and the grandfather of our subject entered from the government two hundred and forty acres of land on section 22, Richland township, and two hundred and sixty acres on section 33, which was totally unimproved when it came into his possession. The first thing that he did after entering it was to erect a log cabin, which remained the family residence for several years. As time passed he brought his land under cultivation and in the course of years his place became highly developed and well improved.

John D. YOUNG built a cabin on the farm on section 22 and at once began cultivating the land. He became a prosperous farmer and an influential citizen and passed the remainder of his life on his farm. He was a democrat in politics, as was his father before him, and his religious faith was that of the Baptist church. He died on the 12th of February, 1909, when in his seventy-ninth year. His wife, who bore the name of Catherine WARRICK, was born in Tennessee, a daughter of Robert and Martha (HATFIELD) WARRICK. Her father,
who was also a farmer by occupation, emigrated to Iowa in 1852 and located in Doyle township, Clarke county, becoming a very successful farmer and highly esteemed citizen of his community. He served in the Union army during the Civil war and while at the front contracted a disease which eventually caused his death. His wife has also passed away. Mrs. YOUNG died in 1875 when thirty-six years of age. She was the mother of six children, namely: William
H.; John L., who died about 1880, leaving a family; Robert and Martha J., both of whom died in infancy; Henry H., of Eaton, Colorado; and George W., a farmer of Morrill county, Nebraska.

William H. YOUNG was reared upon the home farm in Richland township and as a boy and youth attended the district school, thus acquiring a good education.  He continued to assist his father with the work of the fields and the care of the stock for several years after putting aside his textbooks. Eventually he purchased a portion of the home farm and at the demise of his father he inherited one hundred and eighty acres. He has also acquired additional land and now owns in all three hundred and eighty-five acres in Richland township.  He has always given special attention to stock-raising and breeds shorthorn cattle, Percheron horses and Poland china hogs, the sale of which yields him a good income. He also follows general farming and in both branches of his business is meeting with gratifying success.

On the 31st of December, 1874, Mr. YOUNG married Miss Nervesta EDWARDS, who
was born in Richland township, on the 29th of October, 1855, of the marriage of Anderson and Armina EDWARDS, residents of Long Creek township. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. YOUNG: Luella, born January 10, 1879, is now the wife of Fred B. Bramon, of Delphis (sic, should be Delphos), Ringgold County, by whom she has four children; Nora C., born February 18, 1882, married Lloyd GILREATH, by whom she has four children; Carrie A., born October 1, 1885, is now the wife of J. L. MENDENHALL, a farmer of Franklin
township [Decatur County], by whom she has four children; Frederick M., born February 22, 1887, is operating the home place. He married Miss Ruth WARD, a daughter of Daniel and Loretta WARD, and two children have been born to this union. Martha J., whose birth occurred on the 27th of October, 1890, is now the wife of Herbert JOHNSON (sic, should be Horace JOHNSTON), a farmer of Richland township.

Mr. YOUNG is a democrat and has held various township offices. His personal popularity in the county and the confidence which is placed in his integrity is attested by the fact that in 1900 he was elected county treasurer, although Decatur county is normally republican. He took his seat in January, 1901, and served for five years, holding over one year, due to a change in the election law. He proved a very efficient custodian of the funds and there was never the slightest doubt of his absolute honesty and trustworthiness. Fraternally he belongs to the Masons and Odd Fellows, and in his life exemplifies the spirit of brotherhood which characterizes these orders.

NOTE: John L. YOUNG served under General Andrew JACKSON, participating in the
Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812. Robert WARRICK enlisted as a Private on July 28, 1862, from Hopeville, Clarke County, Iowa, and served with Company B of the 18th Iowa Infantry. He received a disability discharge on February 1, 1863 at St. Louis, Missouri.

SOURCES:
HOWELL, J. M. & CONOMAN, Heman. History of Decatur County, Iowa, and Its
People Vol. II. Pp. 101-03. S.J. Clarke Pub. Co. Chicago. 1915.

American Civil War Soldiers, ancestry.com

Transcription by Sharon R. Becker, February of 2009

JAMES B. WEAVER was born in Dayton, Ohio, June 12, 1833. He graduated at the Law School of the Ohio University at Cincinnati in 1854. His father removed with his family to Michigan and from there to Iowa in 1843, locating in Davis County. Here the son began the practice of law at Bloomfield where he was also the editor of a weekly paper for a few years before the Civil War. He enlisted soon after the opening of the Rebellion, in Company G, Second Iowa Infantry, and was commissioned first lieutenant. mr. Weaver was in the battles of Fort Donelson and Shiloh and was promoted to major of the regiment for gallant conduct. Soon after the Battle of Corinth he was promoted to colonel and remained in command of the regiment until its term of service expired. he was brevetted Brigadier-General in March, 1864. In 1865 he was one of the preminent candidates for the nomination for Lieutenant-Governor in the Republican State Convention, receiving next to the highest vote. In 1866 he was elected District Attorney in the Second Judicial District, serving four years. In 1867 he was appointed by President Johnson, Assessor of Internal Revenue for the First District, serving six years. In 1875 he was a candidate before the Republican State Convention for Governor. He received strong support and on the morning of the convention it was generally conceded that he would be nominated. He was an active and outspoken advocate of prohibition and the rigid enforcement of the prohibitory liquor law, which aroused the bitter opposition of the license men. They saw that he was about to be nominated and secretly organized a movement to bring out the name of Samuel J. Kirkwood the "old war Governor" as the only way to defeat General Weaver. The Ex-Governor was not present and when communicated with declined to be made a candidate, But the license men were not to be turned from their course and in a dramatic manner presented the Governor's name in an adroit speech and in a prearranged plan had tremendous cheering started for Governor Kirkwood which swept the convention and thus the nomination was at the last moment diverted from General Weaver. Soon after he left the Republican party and became one of the leaders of the National, or better known as the "Greenback" party. In 1878 he was nominated by the new party for Representative in Congress in the Sixth District and after a warm campaign was elected over the Republican candidate. In 1880 he was nominated by the National Convention of the new party for President of the United States. He received about 350,000 votes. In 1884 General Weaver was again elected to Congress from the Sixth District and reelected in 1886 by a coalition of the opposition to the Republican candidate. In 1892 General Weaver was again nominated for President, this time by the People's party. At the election he received 1,042,531 votes and twenty-two electoral votes. General Weaver has for many years given most of his time to the advocacy of his political views and has long been one of the ablest among the national speakers and managers of his party.

CLARK R. WEVER was born at Hornsfield, New York, September 16, 1835, where he grew to manhood. Soon after he became of age he made an extensive journey through Texas and Mexico. In 1858 he came to Iowa, locating at Burlington. When the Civil War began he assisted in raising Company D, Seventeenth Iowa Volunteers and was commissioned captain. He made an excellent officer, serving in several general engagements with marked ability. He was promoted to lieutenant-colonel in October, 1862, and upon the resignation of Hillis in 1863 became colonel of the regiment. He commanded it in the Chattanooga campaign and was with Sherman's march and battles through the Gulf States. He was in command of a brigade at Resaca when General Hood's army approached and demanded the surrender of the post. With greatly inferior numbers Wever determined to hold it at all hazards. In reply to Hood's demand, Wever responded: "In my opinion I can hold this post; if you want it, come and take it." The attack began with great fury, but Wever made a brilliant defense until reenforcements relieved the heroic commander and his little garrison. Colonel Wever commanded a brigade through Sherman's great campaign. He was brevetted Brigadier-General in recognition of his brilliant services.

FREDERICK E. WHITE was born in Prussia, in 1844. He came to America with his mother in 1857, making his home on a farm in Keokuk County. At the beginning of the War of the Rebellion he enlisted in the Eighth Infantry but was rejected on account of being under eighteen. In February, 1862, he again enlisted, this time in the Thirteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, serving until the close of the war. In 1890 he was nominated by the Democrats of the Sixth District for Representative in Congress and elected over John F. Lacey, Republican. He served but one term, being defeated in 1892 for reelection by his former competitor. He was the Democratic candidate for Governor in 1897 and again in 1899 but was defeated by L. M. Shaw the Republican candidate.

FREDERICK E. WHITE was born in Prussia, in 1844. He came to America with his mother in 1857, making his home on a farm in Keokuk County. At the beginning of the War of the Rebellion he enlisted in the Eighth Infantry but was rejected on account of being under eighteen. In February, 1862, he again enlisted, this time in the Thirteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, serving until the close of the war. In 1890 he was nominated by the Democrats of the Sixth District for Representative in Congress and elected over John F. Lacey, Republican. He served but one term, being defeated in 1892 for reelection by his former competitor. He was the Democratic candidate for Governor in 1897 and again in 1899 but was defeated by L. M. Shaw the Republican candidate.

WILSON G. WILLIAMS was born in Bainbridge, Chenango County, New York, in 1823. He was educated at Utica and began business for himself in the city of New York where he became an importing merchant. In 1855 he removed to Iowa, locating in Dubuque, where he engaged in the mercantile business for several years. Later he made his home on a farm in Dubuque County where he was living when the Civil War began. He immediately tendered his services to Governor Kirkwood and was commissioned colonel of the Third Iowa Infantry, serving but a short time when he was placed under arrest by order of General Hurlbut. The charges against him were manifestly unjust and he was never brought to trial. He commanded his regiment in the Battle of Shiloh where it made a heroic fight. Colonel Williams was severely wounded and sent in his resignation on the 27th of November, 1862, retiring from the service.

WILSON G. WILLIAMS was born in Bainbridge, Chenango County, New York, in 1823. He was educated at Utica and began business for himself in the city of New York where he became an importing merchant. In 1855 he removed to Iowa, locating in Dubuque, where he engaged in the mercantile business for several years. Later he made his home on a farm in Dubuque County where he was living when the Civil War began. He immediately tendered his services to Governor Kirkwood and was commissioned colonel of the Third Iowa Infantry, serving but a short time when he was placed under arrest by order of General Hurlbut. The charges against him were manifestly unjust and he was never brought to trial. He commanded his regiment in the Battle of Shiloh where it made a heroic fight. Colonel Williams was severely wounded and sent in his resignation on the 27th of November, 1862, retiring from the service.

JAMES A. WILLIAMSON was born in Columbia, Adair County, Kentucky, on the 8th of February, 1829. When he was fifteen the family removed to Iowa where he took a claim in Keokuk County. Here he supported the family by farming for several years. He then sold the farm and completed his education at Knox College, Illinois. He studied law with M. M. Crocker at Lancaster, was admitted to the bar and, in 1855, removed to Des Moines. Mr. Williamson was a member of the syndicate which built the first Capitol at Des Moines and furnished it free of rent to the State for many years. He was a prominent Democratic politician until the Rebellion began, when he entered the military service as adjutant of the Fourth Iowa Infantry and as the war progressed became a warm supporter of Lincoln's administration. Mr. Williamson made a fine officer and won rapid promotion to lieutenant-colonel, colonel and for a long time commanded a brigade. He was in Sherman's march to the sea and participated in most of the battles of that army. Near the close of the war he was promoted to Brigadier-General. He was chairman of the Iowa delegation at the National Republican Convention at Chicago which in 1868 nominated General Grant for President. In 1877 General Williamson was appointed commissioner of the General Land Offices at Washington, which office he held until 1881, when he became land commissioner of the Atlantic & Pacific Railroad, and afterwards president of the company. He died on the 7th of September, 1902.

WINSLOW, EDWARD F. was born in Kennebee County, Maine, on the 28th of September, 1837. He received a good education and in 1856 removed to Iowa, locating at Mount Pleasant, where he engaged in the mercantile business. When the Rebellion began he recruited a company for the Fourth Iowa Cavalry which was incorporated into the regiment as Company F and Mr. Winslow was commissioned captain. In January, 1863, he was promoted to major and in July following was commissioned colonel. Soon after he was placed in command of a brigade where he rendered good service in the armies of Generals Sherman, Grant, Sturgis and Wilson. In 1864 he was brevetted Brigadier-General.

 

WINSLOW, EDWARD F.
by Wm. Forse Scott.

Edward Francis "Winslow was born in Augusta, Maine, September 28, 1837; he died at Canadaiqua, New York, October 22, 1914. lie was a descendant of Kenelm "VVinslow, one of the Pilgrims on the first voyage of the Mayflower. His only school education was in the public schools of Augusta. "When nineteen he sought his fortune in Iowa in the construction of railways, then just beginning in that state. He was engaged on the Burlington & Missouri River road, living chiefly at Mount Pleasant when the Civil War began; and had just then been married, his wife being Miss Laura Berry, daughter of Rev. Dr. Lucien H. Berry, a distinguished educator.

When troops were called for to maintain the Union, he stopped all other affairs and enlisted a company, which joined the Fourth Iowa Cavalry as Co. F, with him as captain. He led his company with the regiment in its long and adruous marches through Missouri and Arkansas as part of the army of the Southwest, and after several engagements was stationed at Helena, Arkansas, where he was provost-marshal of the army. Promoted to major in January, 1863, he obtained the assignment of his regiment to Grant's command in the campaign against Vicksburg, the only cavalry regiment in that army. He soon distinguished himself in action, and during the siege of Vicksburg made many marches in the interior, against Johnston's forces. He was severely wounded in an engagement at Mechanicsburg in May, was promoted to colonel of his regiment July 4, 1863, and appointed by Sherman chief of the cavalry forces of the Fifteenth Army Corps, several other cavalry regiments having been in the meantime added to the army. He led the regiment in Sherman's campaign against Jackson, in July, 1863, and in August made a raid, with a selected force of cavalry, through Mississippi from Vicksburg to Memphis, with splendid success. During the remainder of the year he was occupied in keeping the enemy in check between Big Black river and Pearl river, from Vernon to Natchez.

In February, 1864, in command of the cavalry, he led the advance of Sherman's army in the campaign of Meridian, nearly every day for two weeks in active conflict with the retreating forces of Gen. Leonidas Polk. Meantime he had joined with the majority of his regiment in re-enlisting for three years as "Veterans." In April he was ordered, with the regiment, to Memphis, and during the next four months was very actively employed in a succession of campaigns in west Tennessee and Mississippi, commanding sometimes a brigade, sometimes a division of cavalry. In this service he fought, with minor engagements, the battles of Guntown (Brice's Cross-roads), Tupelo, and Old Town Creek. In the disastrous battle of Guntown his was the only brigade to come out unbroken and without the loss of a gun.

In September ho led a brigade of cavalry from Memphis to the relief of General Steele at Little Rock. Thence he marchd with it up into Missouri, which state had just been invaded by General Sterling Price with three divisions of cavalry- At Big Blue river, near Kansas City, with two brigades, he attacked and routed Price's right wing, thus turning Price's invasion into a hurried retreat to the Arkansas river. In this battle he was again severely wounded. In December following, while still disabled by this wound, he commanded a brigade making a raid from Memphis to Vicksurg for the destruction of railways and depots of supply.

Meantime, Decemer 12, 1864, he was brevetted brigadier-general bv a special order of the president, "for gallantry in the field."

In January, 1865, he was assigned to the command of the First Brigade. Fourth Division, Cavalry Troops of the Military Division of the Mississippi, which brigade included the Third Iowa, Fourth Iowa and Tenth Missouri Cavalry, and ordered to Eastport, Miss. From there, in March, he led this brigade on the great Selma campaign, made by 13.000 cavalry under Major-general James H. Wilson, in which General Winslow took an extremely active part, with great success. Selma and Columbus, Georgia, heavily fortified and strongly defended, were both captured by assault, by the cavalry dismounted, Columbus being taken by Winslow's brigade alone, in a night attack. In recognition of his services he was placed in command of both citics in succession.

On the surrender of the eastern Confederate armies, in April, General Winslow was posted at Atlanta, in command of the Fourth Division of the Cavalry Corps, and hail a conspicuous position in the control of the country by tlie army, while he pushed with great energy the reconstruction of the railroad to Chattanooga.

The war being over and these services completed, the Fourth Iowa and General Winslow, as its colonel, were mustered out at Atlanta, August 10, 1865, and discharged at Davenport August 24th, after four years of unceasing activity as volunteer soldiers.

General Winslow quickly engaged in the construction of railways, first on the Vandalia, then the Cairo & Vincennes, later on the St. Louis & Southeastern, the West Shore and the St. Louis & San Francisco. He was also inspector for the United States of the Union Pacific, receiver of the Burlington. Cedar Rapids & Northern, superintendent of the elevated railways in New York, and president of the New York, Ontario & Western, the Atlantic & Pacific, and the St. Louis & San Francisco roads.

On retiring he traveled much in Europe with his wife and established a home in Paris, though making many visits to America.

While temporarily visiting at Canadaigua, New York, he passed away and his body was buried there.

He was a man of unexcelled purity of character and vigor of mind, of burning and unbounded patriotism at all times, a most loyal and helpful friend and a devoted husband. Iowa cannot set his name or fame too high.

~ Annals of Iowa Vol. XII. Series 80. Pp. 72-74. Historical Society of Iowa. Des Moines. April, 1915.

ANNIE T. WITTENMYER, an Iowa woman who won the enduring gratitude of hundreds of soldiers during the Civil War, was born at Sandy Springs, Adams County, Ohio, on the 26th of August, 1827. She developed remarkable gifts for writing, before she was thirteen years of age. Her poetry at that time attracted attention and she became a regular contributor some years later to various publications. She was married in 1847, and three years later came with her husband to Iowa, locating in Keokuk. There were no public schools in the village at that time and Mrs. Wittenmyer opened a free school for children of the poor. With the help of other women this school was maintained for many years, accomplishing great good. When the War of the Rebellion began, she was one of the first to assist in organizing Soldiers' Aid Societies which did so much in relieving the wants of soldiers in the field and hospitals. She visited the army in the field early in 1861 and began to collect and distribute supplies for camps and hospitals. She wrote letters from the army to the newspapers telling the needs of the soldiers and soon had her entire time occupied in receiving and distributing the contributions of the generous people of the State. A record of her work during the war would fill a volume. She was appointed one of the State Sanitary Agents for Iowa and during her administration collected and distributed more than $160,000 worth of sanitary supplies. She was active securing furloughs for sick soldiers in hospitals, thus saving many lives. When she found armies camped in unhealthy localities she managed in numerous cases to exert influence to get the camp removed to a healthier location. She was one of the originators of the Soldiers' Orphans' Home established in Iowa at Davenport for the care and education of dependent children. She projected the Special Diet Kitchens which were established at hospitals, where such special food was prepared for the sick as was recommended by the surgeons in charge. This was the beginning of a great and much needed reform in providing suitable food for sick and wounded soldiers, in the hospitals. The entire supervision of these kitchens was placed under the control of Mrs. Wittenmyer. The reform was warmly indorsed by General Grant and there is no double that hundreds, perhaps thousands of lives of suffering soldiers were saved by this salutary change in food. When this reform was fully organized, more than a million of rations were issued through it each month. In 1892 Mrs. Wittenmyer spent a large portion of the winter in Washington working with Congress to secure pension for army nurses. For more than twenty years these worthy workers for the relief of suffering soldiers had applied in vain for any recognition by the Government for their unselfish devotion in war times and told it so earnestly that a pension of twelve dollars a month was granted the nurses. Mrs. Wittenmyer was largely instrumental in securing the purchase and preservation of the grounds embraced in the Andersonville prison pen. Eighty-five acres have been secured under the control of the Women's Relief Corps, including the "Providential Spring," and the grounds enclosed in the deadly stockade. After a long life almost entirely devoted to good works of a public nature, this noble woman died at her home on the 2d of February, 1900.

WILLIAM P. WOLFE was born at Harrisburg, Stark County, Ohio, on the 31st of December, 1833. He received a liberal education and taught school several years in Ohio. In 1856 he came to Iowa, locating in Cedar County, where he again engaged in teaching. He studied law with Hon. Rush Clark of Iowa City and was admitted to the bar. He was one of the friends of John Brown when that noted emancipator was helping slaves to freedom and making his headquarters at Springdale. Mr. Wolfe removed to Tipton and entered upon the practice of law. He served as county superintendent of schools. In 1863 he was elected on the Republican ticket Representative in the Tenth General Assembly. In May, 1864, he was appointed captain of Company I, of the Forty-sixth Iowa Infantry. At the close of the war he was for a time editor of the Tipton Advertiser. In 1867 he was elected to the State Senate, serving in the Twelfth and Thirteenth General Assemblies. In 1870 he was elected Representative in Congress to fill a vacancy. In 1881 he was again elected Representative in the Legislature and reelected in 1883. He was chosen Speaker of the House of the Twentieth General Assembly. In the fall of 1894 he was chosen judge of the Eighteenth District which position he held at the time of his death, September 19th, 1896.

JOSEPH J. WOODS was born in Brown County, Ohio, on the 11th of January, 1823. He took a preparatory course at Augusta College, Kentucky, and entered the Military Academy at West Point in 1843. He graduated third in his class and received a commission as second lieutenant. The Mexican War was then in progress and he was sent with the First United States Artillery to Vera Cruz where he served until August, 1848, when he was promoted to first lieutenant and sent with his regiment to Oregon, where he remained until 1853. He then resigned and became a resident of Jackson County, Iowa, making his home on a farm. In October, 1861, he was appointed colonel of the Twelfth Iowa Infantry, just organized. His regiment served with distinction at Fort Donelson and Shiloh, being captured at the latter place. Eighty members of the regiment died in southern prisons. Colonel Woods was recaptured by the Union army on the second day's battle. He served with his regiment but often in command of a brigade, for three years, until the term of enlistment expired. After the war he was twice appointed by President Grant visitor to West Point Military Academy. He removed to Kansas in 1869, locating on a farm near Oswego, when he died September 17, 1889.

ED WRIGHT was born in Salem, Ohio, June 27, 1827. His education was acquired in the public schools and academies and he became a teacher and a carpenter. In 1852 he removed to Iowa, locating in Cedar County. In 1856 he was elected to the House of the Sixth General Assembly, was reelected in 1857 and again in 1859, serving six years. In 1862 he was appointed major of the Twenty-fourth Iowa Infantry and served through the war. He was a brave, vigilant and popular officer and was brevetted Brigadier-General. In 1865 he was again elected to the Legislature and chosen Speaker of the House. In 1866 he was elected Secretary of State and twice reelected, serving six years. In 1873 he was chosen secretary of the Board of Capitol Commissioners and assistant superintendent of the construction of the State House. He held these positions until the work was completed in 1884 when he was appointed custodian of the new edifice. He held this office until 1890 when he was placed in charge of the Capital grounds. At the World's Columbian Exposition General Wright conducted a directory for furnishing information to visitors from Iowa. In 1895 he was appointed a member of the board of public works for the city of Des Moines which position he held at the time of his death. Iowa never had a more useful and conscientious public officer than General Ed. Wright. When his death occurred on the 5th of December, 1895, his body lay in state at the Capitol where thousands of citizens paid their respects to the man who served the State so well for nearly half a century.

GEORGE F. WRIGHT was born in Warren, Vermont, December 5, 1833. He was reared on a farm, and when eighteen years of age attended West Randolph Academy. He came to Iowa in 1855, locating at Keosauqua where he began the study of law in the office of Judge George G. Wright, and was admitted to the bar in 1857. At the beginning of the Civil War he helped to raise a military company of which he was chosen first lieutenant. Later at the request of Governor Kirkwood Lieutenant Wright organized a company of State militia of which he was commissioned captain. In 1868 Mr. Wright removed to Council Bluffs where he became a law partner with Judge Caleb Baldwin; the firm ranked high and became attorneys for several railroads. In 1875 Mr. Wright was elected to the State Senate from the district consisting of the counties of Mills and Pottawattamie, serving in the Sixteenth and Seventeenth General Assemblies. In 1879 Mr. Wright was appointed by Judge Dillon United States Commissioner, and later held the same position under Judge Woolson for the Southern District of Iowa. In 1896 he was chosen vice-president for Iowa of the Trans-Mississippi Exposition at Omaha. Mr. Wright was one of the organizers of the company which built the bridge across the Missouri River between Council Bluffs and Omaha.