star Iowa Civil War Home








Surnames Beginning with the Letter M


ALBERT MARCHANT, who is manager of the Iowa Canning Company's branch at Storm Lake, is a master hand in the canning industry, which has been the chief line of his business experience since boyhood. 

Mr. Marchant, who has the distinction of being mayor of the City of Storm Lake, was born in Benton County, Iowa, April 16, 1882. His father, Joel B. Marchant, was born in Illinois, of French ancestry, the original spelling of the name being Marchand. Joel Marchant came to Iowa when a young man, and was a farmer in this state. Though very young, he served out a period of enlistment in the Civil war as a private in Company G of the Second Iowa Infantry. he died in Benton County in 1917, when seventy years of age. Joel Marchant married Nany Arnold, a native of Illinois, who died in 1889, at the age of forty-two. 

Albert Marchant grew up on a farm, attended public schools at Garrison, and it was with the Garrison Canning Company that he received his first training in the canning business. He started as a laborer and was given increasing responsibilities until he reached the post of assistant superintendent of the plant. The Garrison Canning Company subsequently became a unit of the Iowa Canning Company. 

Mr. Marchant left there in 1908 and for about a year was connected with the cannery at Dysart, Iowa, and in 1909 moved to Storm Lake to become manager of the Storm Lake branch of the Sac City Canning Company. he was also elected vice president of the company. In July, 1929, the Sac City Canning Company was merged with the Iowa Canning company. Mr. Marchant remains as manager of the Storm Lake plant. 

He has been a public spirited citizen, willing to do his part in community matters and for two terms, 1911-1915, was a member of the city council. He is now in his second term as mayor, the term ending in March, 1931. He has also been a member of the board of directors of the Chamber of Commerce and vice president of the Rotary Club. 

Mr. Marchant is a member of the Masonic Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, is a Republican and a Methodist. he married Miss Ella May Graves, a native of Iowa, daughter of E. A. and Elizabeth Graves, of Garrison, Iowa. Mrs. Graves died on November 27, 1913, and Mr. Graves died January 30, 1918. One of the principal accomplishments during Mayor Marchant's administration is the cleaning of the lake of blue-green algae. Another important item is the installation of an electrolier system or white way along Lake Avenue.  


~Source:  A Narrative History of The People of Iowa with SPECIAL TREATMENT OF THEIR CHIEF ENTERPRISES IN EDUCATION, RELIGION, VALOR, INDUSTRY, BUSINESS, ETC. by EDGAR RUBEY HARLAN, LL. B., A. M. Curator of the Historical, Memorial and Art Department of Iowa Volume IV THE AMERICAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, Inc. Chicago and New York 1931 


Henry C. MARKHAM was born in New York City, July 24, 1812; he died at Mount Ayr, Ringgold county, Iowa, May 12, 1901. He was truly a pioneer, having lived in Iowa sixty-five years. His first halt on his western travels was in Ohio, but he came to Montrose, Lee county, Iowa, in 1836. That frontier post was then held by a detachment of United States soldiers. He was first employed as a clerk by an Indian trader. In the organization of Lee county he also took a part. Entering into the politics of the time he became deputy sheriff. While filling this office he participated in two famous "man hunts" one for the HODGES brothers who murdered two Germans near West Point, and the other for the murderers of Col. DAVENPORT on Rock Island.

He married Miss Hannah REMINGTON, who resided near Montrose, in 1844, and the following spring started to remove overland to Oregon. The outfit consisted of "a prairie schooner" wagon drawn by a yoke of cows and two yokes of oxen. It was winter when they reached Council Bluffs, where he erected a rude log hut and remained until spring. He then determined to abandon the idea of going farther west and returned to Lee county.

He went into the mercantile business at Montrose, but some years afterward settled in Albia. He was appointed postmaster of that town by President Franklin PIERCE, and held the office four years. In 1859-60 he was sheriff of Mouroe county.

At the outbreak of the rebellion [Civil War] he entered the military service as Captain of company I, Eighth Iowa infantry. Suffering from bronchitis he was mustered out of the service, but promptly re-enlisted in "the graybeard regiment," where he became First Lieutenant of company G, from which he was discharged at the close of the war.

He settled at Mount Ayr in 1869, where he served as postmaster under President GRANT. He withdrew from active business in the later seventies, after which time he lived a retired life. That he was a useful man is attested by his services as a soldier, as well as by the positions he had filled in civil life. He was known as "a kindly, reputable and honorable citizen."

NOTE: Henry C. MARKHAM was interred at Rose Hill Cemetery, Mount Ayr, Ringgold County, Iowa. Hannah J. (REMINGTON) MARKHAM died on August 23, 1917, with interment at Rose Hill Cemetery, Mount Ayr.

SOURCE: Annals of Iowa p. 157. State Historical Society of Iowa. Des Moines. 1903; WPA Graves Survey
Transcription and note by Sharon R. Becker, June of 2009




WILLIAM H. MARTIN is secretary, treasurer and general manager of the Bettendorf Manufacturing Company. This is one of the big industries located in the Davenport district, the plant being at 2527 State Street in Bettendorf, Iowa. This company has to been in existence as long as some of the older manufacturing concerns of the district, but it has done much to extend the fame of Davenport as a manufacturing center. Mr. Martin was born at Davenport, October 5, 1882, son of Charles Dyer and Johannan (Grace) Martin. Both parents are deceased. His father was also born at Davenport, while his mother was born in Louisville, Kentucky. The grandparents on both sides come from Ireland. William H. Martin attended parochial schools at Davenport, St. Ambrose College and graduated A. B. from St. Mary's College at St. Mary's, Kansas. For several years he was connected with the Red Jacket Pump Company, but in 1910 became one of the founders of the Bettendorf Manufacturing Company. He was associated with his father and with Charles Schick in organizing the business. He has had charge of the sales and business management. The vice president of the company is Mr. J. W. Bettendorf and the president, J. Reed Lane. The manufactured products of the Bettendorf Manufacturing Company are Davenport oil engines, Schick baling presses, Midland cigar lighters and Bettendorf oil burners. The oil machines manufactured are powerful implements, which have met every test of engineering and practical efficiency and are used not only all over the United States but in many foreign countries. They have proved especially adaptable as auxiliary engines for propelling ships in the fishing fleet on the New England coast. Perhaps the largest part of the business of the company is the manufacture of the power baling presses originated and patented by Mr. Schick and known as the Schick balers. the general line of Schick power balers are extensively used by business houses, manufacturing establishments and other plants for the baling of waste paper and many lines of bulky manufactured goods and raw materials, including hay and straw, clothing, scrap metal. The present plant of the Bettendorf Manufacturing Company was erected in 1916. Mr. Martin was married, February 6th, 1929, to Miss Irene Johnson, of Davenport. He is a member of the Davenport Chamber of Commerce, Rotary Club and B. P. O. Elks.

~Source:  A Narrative History of The People of Iowa with SPECIAL TREATMENT OF THEIR CHIEF ENTERPRISES IN EDUCATION, RELIGION, VALOR, INDUSTRY, BUSINESS, ETC. by EDGAR RUBEY HARLAN, LL. B., A. M. Curator of the Historical, Memorial and Art Department of Iowa Volume IV THE AMERICAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, Inc. Chicago and New York 1931 



The first of five sons born to Southworth and Philena (Rice) Mather, Darius was born on December 15, 1831, in Union County, Ohio. On March 24, 1853, in the town of Dover, Darius and his cousin, Amanda H. Mather, were married. Their children included Florence born in 1856, Francis in 1857, Delmer in 1859 and Abbie in November1860 when that fall's election campaigns were well underway.
By then they were living in Iowa and only a month earlier South Carolina's governor had said his state would secede if Lincoln were elected but the Clayton County Journal discounted the threat as one routinely made every four years. "This cry was invented only to frighten the people into voting for the Democratic candidate" it said, but Lincoln was elected and South Carolina did secede. Still, the Journal wasn't worried. "We hope however our readers will not become too excited over this, because it is not worth while. There are men enough in Pennsylvania alone to subdue South Carolina without the aid of Iowa volunteers." On April 12, 1861, General Beauregard's cannon fired on Fort Sumter. 
By the fall of 1862, with thousands of men having died, President Lincoln called for another 300,000 volunteers with Iowa given a quota of five new regiments. If not met by August 15th, the difference would be made up by a draft. Governor Kirkwood was concerned. The war was more serious than anticipated, initial military enthusiasm had subsided and disloyal sentiment was strong in some parts of the state but he assured the President "the State of Iowa in the future as in the past, will be prompt and ready to do her duty to the country in the time of sore trial. Our harvest is just upon us, and we have now scarcely men enough to save our crops, but if need be our women can help."
Darius was a thirty-year-old carpenter when he was enrolled in Grand Meadow Township on August 14, 1862, in what would be Company E of the 27th Iowa Infantry. Two weeks later he was appointed Fife Major. The regiment was mustered into service on October 3rd at Dubuque's Camp Franklin and on the 11th was ordered to Minnesota where six companies saw brief service while the other four went south to Cairo where all ten companies were later reunited. On November 20th they left for Memphis.
Darius was reported present on the December 31st muster roll at Lexington, Tennessee, and the February 28, 1863, roll at Jackson, Tennessee, but on April 20th was sick and did not rejoin the regiment until May 3rd. He was then reported present on the bimonthly roll for the period ending June 30th but on July 29th was granted a furlough. He was still shown as absent on the August 31st roll but was present on the October 31st and December 31st rolls when the regiment saw service at Devall's Bluff, Arkansas, and along the White River before moving to Memphis.
On January 28, 1864, they were ordered to Meridian, Mississippi, but Darius was ill with erysipelas, a bacterial infection that caused many deaths during the war but was treatable with proper medication. On February 9th, Edward Wilhelm, a hospital steward in a convalescent camp, asked that Darius be admitted to a general hospital due to the camp "not being supplied with medicines to treat such cases." The steward's request was granted and Darius was admitted to General Hospital No. 3 at Vicksburg on March 8th. He was still there on the 30th when the illness caused his death. His clothing and other personal items including a silver watch and gold chain were stored at the hospital for disposal by a Council of Administration. 
Of four Mather brothers who served in the war, Darius was the third to die. Esquire had died of chronic diarrhea while home on furlough in 1863 and is buried in Oakhill Cemetery, Lansing. John had also died of chronic diarrhea in 1863. He and Darius are buried not far from each other in Vicksburg National Cemetery. Their younger brother, Sterling, would die in 1866, less than a year after being discharged from the military.
On August 9, 1864, while living in Clermont, Amanda signed an application for a pension for herself and her four children then aged three, five, seven and eight with William Cowles of West Union as her attorney but no apparent action was taken. Nine months later, on May 15, 1865, still living in Clermont and still with William Cowles as her attorney, Amanda signed another application seeking a pension for herself and her four children. The application was received by the pension office on May 20th and a month later was approved retroactive to the day after Darius' death at $8.00 monthly for Amanda and an additional $2.00 monthly for each of her children that would continue until their sixteenth birthdays. 
On April 23, 1866, Amanda filed a petition with the Clayton County circuit court asking that she be appointed as guardian at law for three of her children. Francis was not mentioned and may have died after the original application was filed. The petition was supported by Dr. H. B. Hinkly who signed an affidavit confirming the names and birth dates of the children and indicating "that he was the attending physician" for all of their births.
On September 5, 1868, in West Union, Amanda married Jabez Carpenter Rounds, a widower whose first wife had died in 1864. Due to her marriage, Amanda was no longer entitled to a widow's pension but the children's pensions would continue.
Amanda died on June 22, 1874 and Jabez on February 6, 1892. They're buried in Eno Cemetery, Clayton County.
~Submitted by Carl F Ingwalson



JOHN F. MERRY was born in Summit County, Ohio, March 24, 1844. He came to Iowa with his parents in an emigrant wagon in 1856, his father locating on a farm in Delaware County. The son secured an education in the public schools and became a teacher. In 1880 he entered the service of the Illinois Central Railway Company as excursion agent, making himself so useful that he was soon promoted to general western passenger agent, and finally to assistant general passenger agent of the entire system. 

Captain Merry served in the Civil War, as a private first in the Twenty-first Infantry. He afterwards recruited and was elected a lieutenant in Company F, of the Forty-sixth Regiment. He was on the staff of General Fairchild in the Grand Army of the Republic, and was the originator of the law converting the battle-field of Vicksburg into a National Park. Captain Merry was a member of the Iowa Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition Commission. 

He has given special attention to the agricultural and commercial development of the country traversed by the Illinois Central Railroad system and has published several works of interest among which are "Where to Locate New Factories," "The Southern Homeseeker's Guide." and the "Industrial Outlook for New Orleans." 

Captain Merry has held the following important positions: assistant general passenger agent of the Illinois Central Railway Company, secretary and assistant treasurer of the Dunlieth & Dubuque Bridge Company, secretary and assistant treasurer of the Fort Dodge & Omaha Railroad Company. He is a prominent Republican, serving as delegate to the Republican National Convention at St. Louis in 1896.


~Source:  A Narrative History of The People of Iowa with SPECIAL TREATMENT OF THEIR CHIEF ENTERPRISES IN EDUCATION, RELIGION, VALOR, INDUSTRY, BUSINESS, ETC. by EDGAR RUBEY HARLAN, LL. B., A. M. Curator of the Historical, Memorial and Art Department of Iowa Volume IV THE AMERICAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, Inc. Chicago and New York 1931 

JOHN MEYER was born in Clinton County, Pennsylvania, February 26, 1824. He was a graduate of Oberlin College and for two years was an instructor in the institution. In April, 1857, he located at Newton, Iowa, which became his permanent home. In August, 1862, he was commissioned captain in Company K, Twenty-eight Iowa Volunteers, serving three years in the Union Army, attaining the rank of lieutenant-colonel. He was engaged in the battles of Champion's Hill, siege of Vicksburg, Winchester, Fisher's Hill and Cedar Creek. Mr. Meyer had served in the House of Representatives of the Ninth General Assembly, both in the regular and extra sessions, and after the close of the war in the fall of 1865 was elected to the Senate, serving in the Eleventh and Twelfth General Assemblies. In 1877 he was again elected to the Senate, serving through the Seventeenth and Eighteenth General Assemblies. For many years he was trustee of Iowa College at Grinnell. He died on the 14th of May, 1902.

~Source:  A Narrative History of The People of Iowa with SPECIAL TREATMENT OF THEIR CHIEF ENTERPRISES IN EDUCATION, RELIGION, VALOR, INDUSTRY, BUSINESS, ETC. by EDGAR RUBEY HARLAN, LL. B., A. M. Curator of the Historical, Memorial and Art Department of Iowa Volume IV THE AMERICAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, Inc. Chicago and New York 1931 





MILLER, John Addison was born in Rockbridge County, Virginia, on April 28, 1829, the son of Henry MILLER (1786-1864) and Catherine (MONTGOMERY) MILLER (1792-1864). He married on August 28, 1852, Rockbridge County, Virginia, to his second cousin, Mary Malinda LEECH. They left in 1854 from Rockbridge County, Virginia, to Morning Sun, Louisa County, Iowa. They went by wagon to Wheeling, West Virginia; then by boat, to Burlington, Iowa, where they were met by their uncle, Henry Miller OCHILTREE, Sr., and then taken by wagon to Morning Sun, 3 miles distant. They lived for two years on land leased from Mr. OCHILTREE, and raised an immense crop of wheat.

The oldest son, Sydney Webster MILLER, was born in Rockbridge County. At Morning Sun, a daughter, Willie Ann, was born, died, and was buried there. In 1855 they left Morning Sun, for Ringgold County, Iowa, stopping for the winter in Lucas County, where Mary's eldest half brother James H. LEECH, (sic, James was an uncle) was living. There the third child, James Leech MILLER, was born in 1856. In 1857, they went on to Ringgold County, buying out a squatter, chiefly to get possession of a house, in which to live. In 1858, Mr. MILLER moved this cabin, to his own land. In 1860, twin daughters were born who were named Catharine Montgomery [Mrs. Charles WARREN of Kiona, Washington], and Rebecca Ochiltree [Mrs. Luther MILBURN of Boulder, Colorado].

In 1860, Mr. MILLER enlisted in the Federal Army as a Sergeant with Company G of the 4th Iowa Infantry. He was promoted to Full 1st Sergeant on September 5th of 1861. After 6 months of service, he returned home on a recruiting trip. He returned to his regiment in October 1862, and was killed, December 29, 1862, during the seige of Vicksburg. [American Civil War Solders' database states that Sgt. MILLER died during the Battle of Chickasaw Bayou, Mississippi.] He was thirty-two-years old at the time of his death.

A daughter, Mary Addie MILLER (later Mrs. J. B. DOUGLAS of Camlachie, Ontario, Canada) was born just before her father's death on November 12, 1862.

Mary Malinda (LEECH) MILLER, the daughter of John "Broad" C. J. LEECH (1793-1859) and Rebecca Boggs (OCHILTREE) LEECH (1799-1872), was born on June 5, 1832 in Rockbridge County, Virginia. She remarried in 1867 to Hezekiah Reed BURKS (died Feb. 20, 1869, age 40), and died June 1, 1904. Hezekiah and Mary were interred at Middle Fork Cemetery, Ringgold County, Iowa.

RAILEY, Clementine (BROWN). History of the House of OCHILTREE of Ayrshire, Scotland p. 171. Bulletin Printing Co. Sterling, Kansas. 1916
American Civil War Soldiers Database,

Transcriptions & compilation by Sharon R. Becker, June of 2009


JAMES C. MILLIMAN was born in Saratoga County, New York, January 28, 1847, and was educated in the State University, earning his way from the time he was ten years old. In 1856 he came to Iowa, locating at Missouri Valley. He served eight years as recorder of Harrison County and was one of the founders of the Harrison County Bank in 1876. For many years he was engaged in the abstract, loan and real estate business. He served in the Union Army during the War of the Rebellion until disabled in battle by severe wounds in 1864. In 1893-4 he was the Senior Vice-Commander of the Grand Army of the Republic for the Department of Iowa. In 1894 he was a Representative in the Twenty-fifth General Assembly. In 1897 he was elected Lieutenant-Governor on the Republican ticket with L. M. Shaw and in 1899 was reelected, serving four years. He was a member of the Commission of Iowa for the Louisiana Purchase Exposition.


~Source:  A Narrative History of The People of Iowa with SPECIAL TREATMENT OF THEIR CHIEF ENTERPRISES IN EDUCATION, RELIGION, VALOR, INDUSTRY, BUSINESS, ETC. by EDGAR RUBEY HARLAN, LL. B., A. M. Curator of the Historical, Memorial and Art Department of Iowa Volume IV THE AMERICAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, Inc. Chicago and New York 1931 


NOAH W. MILLS was born in Montgomery County, Indiana, on the 21st of June, 1834. He received a liberal education, having graduated at Wabash College. For several months after leaving college he was employed in an engineering corps and later had a position with the Adams Express Company. He studied law and was admitted to the bar. In the fall of 1856 he removed to Iowa, taking up his residence at Des Moines, where he entered into partnership with his brother, F. M. Mills. When the Rebellion began, Noah W. was one of the first to enter the volunteer service and was appointed second lieutenant of Company D, of which M. M. Crocker was the first captain in the Second Iowa Infantry. He received rapid promotion to captain, major, lieutenant-colonel in June, 1862, and upon the wounding of Colonel Baker, succeeded him as colonel of the regiment. On the second day of the Battle of Corinth, while Lieutenant-Colonel Mills was leading a charge he was severely wounded in the foot and a week later he was attacked with lockjaw and died on the 12th of October. Colonel Mills was a man of fine literary attainments and was an accomplished newspaper writer.


~Source:  A Narrative History of The People of Iowa with SPECIAL TREATMENT OF THEIR CHIEF ENTERPRISES IN EDUCATION, RELIGION, VALOR, INDUSTRY, BUSINESS, ETC. by EDGAR RUBEY HARLAN, LL. B., A. M. Curator of the Historical, Memorial and Art Department of Iowa Volume IV THE AMERICAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, Inc. Chicago and New York 1931 


W[illiam]. A[lfred]. MILLSAP, section 12, Benton Township, is one of the pioneers of Ringgold County. He is a native of Lawrence County, Indiana, born November 10, 1827, son of Bela and Elizabeth (McGUIRE) MILLSAP. He was the fourth of six children. His early life was spent on the farm and attending the common schools. In 1853 he removed to McDonough County, Illinois, where he resided two years, and in the spring of 1855 came to Ringgold County, and settled on section 5, Rice Township, where he built a log house. This house is now used by a family for a residence. He remained on this farm four or five years, then removed to Marshalltown, in Rice Township, and resided until 1866.

During the Rebellion he went forth in defense of his country, enlisting [from Mount Ayr, Iowa, as a Private on] August 9, 1862, in Company G, Twenty-ninth Iowa Infantry, and was in the service three years. He was in the battles of Helena, capture of Little Rock, and was in General Steele's Camden expedition, where the regiment was engaged thirty-seven days in fighting. He was [mustered out of service on August 10, 1865, New Orleans, Louisiana, and] honorably discharged at Davenport in August, 1865, and returned to his home.

In 1866 he removed to section 12, upon his father's old homestead, where he resided about eight years. In 1874 he came to his present home, where he has since resided. His farm contains 167 acres of land in a high state of cultivation and well improved. He has a comfortable story-and-a-half residence, an orchard of four acres - one of the best in the township - a barn and out-buildings for stock, and is engaged in general farming, stock-raising and feeding.

He is a Republican and has served as coroner two years, member of the School Board, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church; has served as class-leader and steward about fifteen years.

Mr. MILLSAP was married to Miss OGLESBY, a native of Kentucky, and reared in Indiana. They are the parents of eight children - Elizabeth M., Isaac M., Thomas J., Anna A., Mary Ann and William E. (twins), Alexander H. and Hattie B. Ferdinand, Alonzo P. and Willie A. are deceased.

William Bela "Billie" MILLSAP, pictured at right, was born in Green County, Tennessee on January 10, 1797, the son Robert MILLSAP (1773 NC - 1842 IN) and Marcia "Massy" (LACY) MILLSAP (1764 VA - 1842 IN). He married first to Nancy McLEAN. No children were born to his first marriage. He married second July 26, 1821, Lawrence, Indiana, Elizabeth McGUYER. Elizabeth was born November 17, 1805 in Ireland, and died on August 14, 1835, Lawrence, Indiana. William Bela "Billy" MILLSAP was born January 10, 1797, Green County, Tennessee, and died August 15, 1885, Decatur County, Iowa. William married third in Washington County, Indiana, on February 2, 1837 to Jane BUNCH, and had a son Irenious MILLSAP (1837-

William Alfred MILLSAP, son of William Bela and his second wife Elizabeth (McGUYER), was born November 10, 1827, Lawrence, Indiana, and died at the age of 76 years on December 19, 1903, Ringgold County, Iowa. He married February 25, 1850, Jackson County, Indiana to Mildred Willis "Millie" OGLESBY. Mildred Willis "Millie" (OGLESBY) MILLSAP was born March 11, 1833 in Kentucky, and died February 7, 1897, Ringgold County, Iowa. W. A. and Mildred were interred at Marshalltown Cemetery, Ringgold County, Iowa. William and Mildred were the parents of twelve children:
1) Ferdinand MILLSAP, born circa 1851, Lawrence Co. IN
2) Alonzo P. MILLSAP, born 1852, Lawrence Co. IN; died circa 1860
3) William A. MILLSAP, born circa 1853, McDonough County, IL
4) Elizabeth Maria MILLSAP, born circa 1855, IL or IA; died 19 Mar 1864 interment Platte River Cemetery near Maloy, Ringgold Co. IA
5) Isaac Newton MILLSAP, born circa 1857, Ringgold Co. IA
6) Thomas J. MILLSAP, born Apr 1861, Ringgold Co. IA; died 1932 married Mary E., born 1863; died 1914 Thomas and Mary interred Diagonal Cemetery, Ringgold Co. IA
7) Amy Ann MILLSAP, born 1862, Ringgold Co. IA married 04 Dec 1881 William BYERLY, born circa 1860, Ringgold Co. IA
8) Mary Ann MILLSAP, twin, born 06 Jul 1866, Ringgold Co. IA; died 21 Aug 1945, Mount Ayr IA interment Benton Cemetery, Ringgold County, IA
9) William Ellsworth MILLSAP, twin, born 06 Jul 1866, Ringgold Co. IA; died 01 Aug 1917, Ringgold Co. interment Marshalltown Cemetery, Ringgold County, IA
10) Willis Alexander "Willie" MILLSAP, born ca. 1868, Ringgold Co. IA; died ca. 1870, Ringgold Co. IA
11) Alexander Huggins MILLSAP, born 07 Apr 1870, Benton IA; died 30 Sep 1934, Mount Ayr IA married Dora THARP, born 26 Sep 1870; died 29 Mar 1946, Clarinda IA Alexander and Dora interred Marshalltown Cemetery, Ringgold Co. IA
12) Hattie B. MILLSAP, born circa 1872, Benton, Ringgold Co. IA

Biography & Historical Record of Ringgold County, p. 392, 1887.
American Civil War Soldier Database,
WPA Graves Survey (photograph of gravestone on website)
from Biography & Historical Record of Ringgold County, Iowa Lewis Publishing Company of Chicago, 1887, p. 392
~Transcription and note by Sharon R. Becker, March of 2009


WILLIAM O. MITCHELL is a native of Iowa, born in Van Buren County, April 4, 1846. At the age of sixteen he enlisted in Company C, Thirteenth Iowa Volunteers, serving three years. During that time he was eight months a prisoner confined in the Andersonville stockade, Salisbury and Florence prisons, from the last of which he escaped. During his term of service he participated in the Vicksburg campaign and many other engagements. After the close of the war he graduated at Cornell College, Mount Vernon, and began the study of law, being admitted to the bar in 1872. He located at Corning in Adams County and in addition to practicing law became largely engaged in farming. He has done probably more than any other one man to call public attention to the famous "Blue Grass Region" of southern Iowa as a stock country. He was in 1891 elected Representative in the House of the Twenty-fourth General Assembly and had the unusual honor of being chosen Speaker the first term of his legislative service. he was reelected to the Twenty-fifth General Assembly, serving as chairman of the committee of ways and means. In 1895 he was elected to the Senate, serving in the Twenty-sixth and Twenty-seventh General Assemblies and at the extra session.


~Source:  A Narrative History of The People of Iowa with SPECIAL TREATMENT OF THEIR CHIEF ENTERPRISES IN EDUCATION, RELIGION, VALOR, INDUSTRY, BUSINESS, ETC. by EDGAR RUBEY HARLAN, LL. B., A. M. Curator of the Historical, Memorial and Art Department of Iowa Volume IV THE AMERICAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, Inc. Chicago and New York 1931 


General S. MOORE, was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, April 10, 1830. His father, Riley MOORE, was a native of Virginia, of Irish parentage, and died in 1847, while in the service during the Mexican war. His grandfather, Riley MOORE, was a soldier of the Revolution, and died in 1844, aged 101 years. His mother, Mary Ann (DYER) MOORE, was a native of Virginia. His parents had a family of eight children - Isaac W., Owen, Elizabeth, Andrew Jackson, General S., Sarah, John
and Nancy.

Mr. MOORE resided in his native county until twelve years of age, then came to Moultrie County, Illinois, thence to Champaign County, where he lived about fifteen years. He was reared on a farm, and received his education in the common schools and at home.

He was married April 17, 1851, to Miss Elizabeth JOHNSON, a native of Indiana, daughter of James and Juriah JOHNSON. In September, 1855, Mr. Moore, with wife and one child, came to Iowa, locating in Monroe County, until April, 1856, when he came to Ringgold County, and settled in Lott's Creek Township, on section 5. He improved the land and resided upon it until August, 1862.

August 10, 1862, [at the age of 33 years] he enlisted [from Mount Ayr, Iowa] in Company G, Twenty-ninth Iowa Infantry. While in the service he received a wound which fractured a knee joint, an injury from which he has never recovered. He was honorably discharged May 31, 1865, at Memphis, Tennessee [and mustered out of service on June 4, 1865], and returned to his home.

A short time after his return he engaged in the mercantile trade at Caledonia, starting with a capital of $450, which he conducted in such a successful manner that in a few years the annual sales of the establishment were over $20,000. In 1867 he was appointed postmaster and served until 1882, when he resigned. In 1884 he closed out his business. He was elected county supervisor and took his seat January 1, 1882. He was one of the board that purchased the poor farm and erected the court-house. He has served in several township offices. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and one of the most liberal supporters.

Mr. and Mrs. MOORE are the parents of six children - Mary Helen, Brewer, Owen F., Isaac W., Florence and Cordelia. James H. and Frederick A. are deceased.

Mr. MOORE has a valuable residence in town, a one-and-a-half-story building, surrounded with shade and ornamental trees, and well furnished. He owns 144 acres of land adjoining the town, and twenty-seven town lots. He has given his children a good education, and they are well fitted to take part in the active duties of life. He commenced life without means; but by industry and good management he has acquired a fine property. Politically he is a Republican.

NOTE: James R. JOHNSON was born in North Carolina on June 11, 1810, the eldest son of Robert W. JOHNSON (ca. 1792-1837) and Anna "Bess" (CHAMBERS) JOHNSON (1789-1875). Brothers James and Abraham JOHNSON married sisters Juriah and Lucinda WOOD, daughters of John and Kitty (McFARLAND) WOOD. According to family legend, Kitty died when Lucinda was 10 months old and the girls were raised by their older sister Margaret. James and Juriah were married in Putnam County, Indiana, on August 21st, 1831, and they eventually moved to Ringgold County, Iowa, settling in Lotts Creek Township. Juriah (WOOD) JOHNSON was born in March of 1812, near Bullet, Kentucky, and died at the age of 90 years on August 2, 1902, Mount Ayr, Ringgold County, Iowa. James R. JOHNSON died February 24, 1863, Caledonia, Ringgold County, Iowa. James and Juriah were interred at Caledonia Cemetery, Ringgold County, Iowa. James and Juriah were the parents of seven children, Elizabeth (JOHNSON) MOORE being their first-born child.

Frederick A. MOORE was born in 1869, and died July 12, 1871, with interment at Caledonia Cemetery, Caledonia, Ringgold County, Iowa.

Biography & Historical Record of Ringgold County, p. 394, 1887.
American Civil War Soldiers Database,
WPA Graves Survey (NOTE: General was his 1st name, not his rank during the Civil War - hopeful parents?)
from Biography & Historical Record of Ringgold County, Iowa Lewis Publishing Company of Chicago, 1887, p. 394
~Transcription and note by Sharon R. Becker, March of 2009


     John D[ingeldein]. MOORE was born in Greene County, Indiana, June 10, 1844, a son of Jacob and Rebecca (SPARKS) MOORE, natives of Virginia and Ohio respectively, the father going to Indiana when about four years of age. The parents left Indiana for Cedar County, iowa, when he was about ten years old, where the father followed farming till he retired from active life. The mother is still living in Cedar County. Of the five children born to the parents only two are now living - John D., and Sarah, wife of M. S. GADDORD (sic), now living in Clinton County.
John D. MOORE, our subject, was the eldest child in his father's family. He received good educational advantages, attending the district schools, and later entered Oskaloosa College, where he pursued his studies for one year.
     On leaving school he entered the Union Army, enlisting [from Inland Township of Cedar County, Iowa, on March 23, 1864 as a Private] in Company E, Eleventh Iowa Infantry, and was a member of the Army of The Tennessee, Seventeenth Army Corps, under Command of General BLAIR. He participated in the battles of Kenesaw Mountain, Atlanta campaign, and at Bentonville, North Carolina, being in the service eighteen months. He was honorably discharged, and was mustered out in July [15], 1865 [at Louisville, Kentucky]. After the war he returned to Cedar County, and engaged in agricultural pursuits.
     He was married in [February 21] 1867 [in Greene County, Indiana] to Miss Elizabeth C[elestus]. GOODWIN, of Greene County, Indiana, a daughter of Abner GOODWIN. They have seven children - Jacob H., William H., Lillie B., Frank M., John A., Sadie E. and Paul R. Mr. and Mrs. MOORE began married life on a farm in Cedar County, Iowa, where they lived till 1874. They then came with their family to Ringgold County, and lived on a farm south of Tingley for four years. They then returned to Cedar County, coming again to Ringgold County in the fall of 1884, when they settled on section 10, Tingley Township, their farm containing 320 acres of improved land, all under fence and seeded down to grass.
     He is one of the successful farmers of his township, where he is also engaged in the manufacture of cheese. He milks thirty cows, and sends out about 400 pounds of cheese a week.
     He and his wife are active members of the Christian church, of which he is an elder. He was licensed as an evangelist eight years ago, and has since been engaged in the ministry, his church being at Tingley, of which he was one of the organizers.
NOTE: John MOORE was born in 1800 and married on December 16, 1817, Rockbridge County, Virginia, to Anna Elizabetha DINGELDEIN, born January 14, 1797, Unter-Ostern, Germany, the daughter of Johann Balthasar DINGELDEIN (1800-1864) and Philippine (RIESER) DINGELDEIN. Anna Elizabetha was married first to George Adam SARVER (1787-1862) and had a son, Henry Harrison SARVER (1839-1902). John MOORE died in 1835, and Anna Elizabetha died June 25, 1879, both in Greene County, Indiana.
     Jacob MOORE, son of John and Anna Elizabetha (DINGELDEIN) MOORE, was born December 10, 1819, Roanoke County, Virginia. The MOORES moved to Washington County in 1824 and after two years moved on to Greene County, Indiana, and then to Cedar County, Iowa, in May of 1855. Jacob married on December 8, 1842 to Rebecca SPARKS, born in Ohio on February 21, 1825, the daughter of Andrew Sinnockson SPARKS (1790-1854) and Jane (TEMPLETON) SPARK (ca. 1792-?). Jacob owned 260 acres of land valued at $13,000 [in 1878] of which he farmed. The family's post office was at Inland, Cedar County, Iowa. Jacob died May 8, 1900; Rebecca died on December 29, 1906, both at Inland Township of Cedar County, Iowa. Jacob and Rebecca were the parents of five children: 1) John D. MOORE, born June 10, 1844, Greene Co. IN 2) Catherine "Kate" J. MOORE, born October 27, 1846, Greene Co. IN; died 1906 3) Sarah E. MOORE, born July 23, 1849, Greene Co. IN; married J. M. GODDARD 4) Susan MOORE, born July 22, 1852, Greene Co. IN; died October 10, 1860, Greene Co. IN 5) Andrew G. MOORE, born January 12, 1859, Green Co. IN; died February 12, 1860, Green Co. IN
     John Dingeldein MOORE, son of Jacob and Rebecca (SPARKS) MOORE, was born June 10, 1844, Richland Township of Greene County, Illinois, and died on January 31, 1930, Walla Walla, Walla Walla County, Washington. Elizabeth Celestus (GOODWIN) MOORE was born June 9, 1848, Highland Township of Greene County, Indiana, the daughter of Abner GOODWIN (1804-1874) and D. Arthulia Ann (PADGET) GOODWIN (1821-1896). Elizabeth died on December 26, 1925, Walla Walla, Washington. Johnn D. and Elizabeth C. MOORE were the parents of seven children:
1) Jacob Howard MOORE, born 29 Nov 1867, Cedar Co. IA: died 27 May 1950, Elgin, OR married 1892 Laura Belle SMITH (1973-1953) Children: Helen, born 1893, OR; and Verner, born 1895, OR
2) William Abner MOORE, born 20 Jan 1869, Cedar Co. IA; died 1965 married Nov 1899 Agnes May CROSSLAND (1880-1957 Children: Raymond Arthur, Evertt Leland, Lydia Fay, Esther May, William Wayne, Margaret Ellen
3) Lillie Belle MOORE, born 03 Sep 1871, Cedar Co. IA; died 04 Feb 1955, Waitsburg WA married 1st Braxton TODD, born 16 Dec 1844 Children: Robert and Dolph TODD married 2nd John WALLACE
4) Francis Marion MOORE, born 24 May 1875, Tingley IA; died 11 Dec 1898, Waitsburg WA
5) John Dingeldein MOORE, born 03 Oct 1876, Tingley IA; died 07 Nov 1938, Toppenish WA married 16 Jan 1901 Cora Walker BABCOCK (1880-1964) Children: Charles M., Dorothy Dee, Martha Celeste, John Marion
6) Sarah Ellen MOORE, born 02 Feb 1878, Tingley IA; died 14 Sep 1957, Waitsburg WA married Clyde C. MASON
7) Paul Ralph MOORE, born 02 Sep 1879, Cedar Co. IA; died 20 Jan 1966, Lane OR married 25 Dec 1901 OR to Ethel B. EDDLMAN (1882-1965) Children: Donald W. and Pauline B.
Biography & Historical Record of Ringgold County, Iowa, p. 374, 1887.
American Civil War Soldiers Database,
The History of Cedar County, Iowa Western Historical Co. Chicago. p. 684. 1878.
WPA Graves Survey
from Biography & Historical Record of Ringgold County, Iowa Lewis Publishing Company of Chicago, 1887, p. 374
~Transcription and note by Sharon R. Becker, March of 2009


Robert Moore was the youngest child born to Samuel and Nancy Moore. During the election year of 1860, South Carolina threatened to secede if Abraham Lincoln was elected, but the Clayton County Journal discounted the threat as "an old trick, which is peculiar to them every four years, namely, charging disunionism upon the opposition. They say that the Union will be divided if Lincoln is elected President" but this cry, it said,"was invented only to frighten the people into voting for the Democratic candidate." When the election was held the Republicans, with only forty percent of the popular vote, prevailed over tickets led by John Breckenridge, Stephen Douglas and John Bell. Ominously, ninety-nine percent of Lincoln's support had come from the North, one percent from five border states and none from the South where his name was not even presented to the voters.
On April 12, 1861, General Beauregard's cannon fired on Fort Sumter but still the Journal wasn't concerned. "We hope however our readers will not become too excited over this, because it is not worth while. There are men enough in Pennsylvania alone to subdue South Carolina without the aid of Iowa volunteers." The war no one expected escalated quickly and by the summer of 1862 Northern ranks were depleted by deaths and discharges and the President called for another 300,000 men. By then, Robert Moore had already enlisted.
Robert was enrolled at Cedar Falls on March 23, 1862, for three years "or the war" in what was to be the 18th Iowa Infantry but, when it was over-subscribed, he was one of eighty-four men who were transferred and would form the bulk of Company A of the state's 21st regiment of volunteer infantry. He was described as being five feet eight inches tall (about average for the regiment), born in Pennsylvania and working as a twenty-two-year-old farmer The Company was ordered into quarters at Camp Franklin on Eagle Point in Dubuque on May 23, 1862, and mustered into service on August 22, 1862. Five days later Robert was promoted from Private to 6th Corporal and, when all ten companies were of sufficient strength, they were mustered in as a regiment on September 9th.
On the 16th, they left for war on board the four-year-old sidewheel steamer Henry Clay (an "old tub" according to many) and two barges tied alongside. After one night on Rock Island they resumed their trip, debarked at Montrose due to low water levels, traveled by train to Keokuk, boarded the Hawkeye State and continued to St. Louis where they arrived on the 20th. After a night at Camp Benton they were inspected the next day by Brigadier General John Wynn Davidson before boarding a train and leaving the depot about midnight. The next morning they arrived in Rolla where they would spend several weeks camped near a spring southwest of town.
Bimonthly company muster rolls showed Robert was present on October 31st at Salem and December 31st at Houston and that's where they were when word was received that a Confederate column was moving north from Arkansas to attack Springfield. A relief force was quickly organized and Robert was one of 262 volunteers from the regiment who joined a similar number from an Illinois regiment and on January 9th left on the "double quick." On the night of the 10th they camped along Wood's Fork of the Gasconade River unaware that the Confederates had already attacked Springfield and were also camped along Wood's Fork.
On the morning of January 11, 1863, bugles blew reveille, the two sides became aware of each other and, after brief firing by pickets, moved into Hartville with Confederates occupying high ground on the east side of town and the relief force spread across a low ridge to the west. The daylong battle ended with Confederates withdrawing to the south and the federal army going north to Lebanon before returning to Houston. The regiment had three men killed in action during the battle while another was fatally wounded and thirteen had less severe wounds.
From Houston the regiment moved south to West Plains and then northeast through the Ozark Mountains to Ste. Genevieve on the Mississippi River where they arrived on March 11th and Robert was promoted to 3rd Corporal. They were then transported south to Milliken's Bend where General Grant was organizing a three-corps army to capture the strategically important city of Vicksburg. Serving under General John McClernand, they crossed from Disharoon's Plantation to the Bruinsburg landing in Mississippi and started inland with the 21st Iowa as the point regiment for the entire army. 
During the balance of the campaign, Robert was reported present during the Battle of Port Gibson on May 1st, during the Battle of Champion Hill on May 16th when the regiment was held out of action ("in reserve"), during an assault at the Big Black River on May 17th and throughout the siege that ended with the city's surrender on July 4, 1863.
Throughout most of the siege, Confederate troops under General Joseph Johnston had been behind the Union lines but made no significant attempt to assist their besieged comrades. With the city's surrender imminent, Grant instructed General Sherman that the moment the surrender took place, Sherman was to attack Johnston and "drive him out of the state and destroy his army." With a force of 48,000 Sherman started east on the afternoon of the 4th and began a pursuit of Johnston, a pursuit that ended with the Confederates taking a stand in the state capital at Jackson. On July 11th, Company A advanced as skirmishers but fell back as the "grey-coats came charging." Firing was exchanged until dusk when they were relieved by the 8th Indiana. The Company's wounded included William Hall, Patrick McDonough and Jacob Moss, but only one man was killed. That man was Robert Moore. The place of his burial is not known.
Robert's father died before the war and his mother had relied on Robert for her support but, with his death, she became dependent on charity and the assistance of friends. On September 12, 1865, she signed an application seeking a dependent mother's pension. Her other children, she said, had "families of their own which they supported and maintained and the other of said sons except said Robert did not nor were they able to contribute anything" to her support. Robert had lived with her "and maintained her entirely by is own labor up to the time of joining into the service." Her husband had not left any property when he died and her only assets were "one cow purchased for her by said Robert and her household furniture." Robert had given her his enlistment bounty and sent all of his military pay to her. Signing by mark, Nancy said all of her sons "have been in the service of the United States as volunteers" and two had died. She was "so destitute that she cannot obtain the means to clad herself with comfortable garments."
Her application was supported by brothers William and David Stiteler who were married to her daughters Cynthia and Luvisa. The Adjutant General's office verified Robert's military service and death in the line of duty and, on August 16, 1866, a certificate was issued entitling Nancy to an $8.00 monthly pension retroactive to July 12, 1863, payable quarterly and continuing until her death in 1876. Nancy is buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Cedar Falls.
~Submitted by Carl F Ingwalson


SAMUEL A. MOORE, pioneer legislator and soldier, was born at Lawrenceburg, Indiana, December 16, 1821. He was educated in the log cabins of Dearborn and Bartholomew counties, and at eight years of age became an apprentice in a printing office where he remained four years. He then worked ten years on a farm, taught school and finally published a paper named the Spirit of the West, at Columbus. In 1853 he removed to Davis County, Iowa, and two years later was elected county judge. He enlisted as a private in Company G, Second Iowa Volunteers in 1861, and was soon promoted to second lieutenant and in November became captain of his company. He was in the battles of Fort Donelson and Shiloh, and in the latter was so severely wounded that it became necessary for him to resign. In 1863 he was commissioned captain of the "Bloomfield Blues" and in 1864 became aid-de-camp to Governor Stone with the rank of lieutenant-colonel. He served as lieutenant-colonel in the Forty-fifth Iowa Volunteers (one hundred days' service) in 1864. Colonel Moore had served in the Indiana Legislature before coming to Iowa, and in 1863 he was elected on the Republican ticket to the State Senate of Iowa, serving in the Tenth and Eleventh General Assemblies. He was one of the superintendents of the eleventh State census. In 1901 he was elected representative in the Twenty-ninth General Assembly; he has long been one of the prominent members of the Pioneer Lawmakers' Association and had delivered many addresses before that body.


~Source:  A Narrative History of The People of Iowa with SPECIAL TREATMENT OF THEIR CHIEF ENTERPRISES IN EDUCATION, RELIGION, VALOR, INDUSTRY, BUSINESS, ETC. by EDGAR RUBEY HARLAN, LL. B., A. M. Curator of the Historical, Memorial and Art Department of Iowa Volume IV THE AMERICAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, Inc. Chicago and New York 1931 





WELCOME MOWRY was born in Putnam County, Illinois, April 3, 1842, and was educated in the common schools and Dover Academy. In 1861 he enlisted in Company D, Seventh Kansas Cavalry, and participated in the battles of Corinth, Coffeyville, Tupelo, Iuka, Coldwater, Holly Springs, Oxford and Jackson. Mr. Mowry with four companions was sent to reconnoiter the position of the army of General Price at Abbyville and running into the camp guard, fell back in the darkness. The enemy alarmed at the encounter and ignorant of the size of the forces near at hand, hastily evacuated the town. This is probably the only instance on record where five men stampeded an army. One of Mr. Mowry's commanders has said of him: "He was frequently on duty as scout in hazardous expeditions where his unflinching bravery, quick intelligence and sound judgment were signally displayed. He was an ideal soldier." Mr. Mowry was mustered out in September, 1864, but soon reenlisted in the One Hundred Fifty-first Illinois Infantry, serving until February, 1866, and as sergeant was in command of General Jdea's headquarter guards. In 1867 he removed to Iowa, locating on a farm in Tama County, which became his permanent home where he has held many official positions. In 1883 he was elected Representative in the House if the Twentieth General Assembly, taking an active part in the business of the session. In 1896 he was one of the Republican presidential electors, and in 1898 he was elected Railroad Commissioner.


~Source:  A Narrative History of The People of Iowa with SPECIAL TREATMENT OF THEIR CHIEF ENTERPRISES IN EDUCATION, RELIGION, VALOR, INDUSTRY, BUSINESS, ETC. by EDGAR RUBEY HARLAN, LL. B., A. M. Curator of the Historical, Memorial and Art Department of Iowa Volume IV THE AMERICAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, Inc. Chicago and New York 1931 


     Born in Portage County, Ohio, on May 28, 1844, Emi Musser was one of five children - Ann, Emi, Helen, James P. and Warren - who were born to Isaac and Keziah (Byers) Musser. In 1857 the family moved to Mitchell County, Iowa, and in 1862 a few miles north to Mower County, Minnesota.
     By then, the Civil War was underway and thousands had died after Confederate guns under General Beauregard fired on Fort Sumter on April 12, 1861. On June 28, 1862, Emi was enrolled at Clinton, Iowa, by Cornelius Dunlap in Company A of the 18th Iowa infantry, a regiment still being organized, and the following month President Lincoln called on the states for another 300,000 volunteers "so as to bring this unnecessary and injurious war to a speedy and satisfactory conclusion." As more and more men enlisted, the 18th was oversubscribed and Emi was one of eighty-four who were transferred and formed the bulk of what would be Company A of the state's 21st Infantry. The regiment was mustered in on September 9, 1862, at Camp Franklin in Dubuque with Sam Merrill as Colonel and Cornelius Dunlap as Lieutenant Colonel. Dunlap would be killed during the siege of Vicksburg, but Merrill would serve as a postwar Iowa governor.
     A week later, on board the four-year-old sidewheel steamer Henry Clay (described by the Dubuque Daily and Weekly Times as an "old tub") and two barges tied alongside, they started down the Mississippi. Their first night was spent on Rock Island but they resumed their trip the next day, encountered low water at Montrose, debarked and traveled by train to Keokuk, boarded the Hawkeye State, and reached St. Louis on a hot, humid, 20th of September. They spent that night at Benton Barracks, were inspected by General Davidson on the 21st, left by train that night, and the next morning arrived in Rolla where they made camp. Water at their first site had "the breath of sewers" so Colonel Merrill moved his men to a site about five miles southwest of town where there was good spring water.
     Emi was present with the regiment when they left Rolla for Salem on October 18th and fifteen days later when they left Salem for Houston. On the December 31st company muster roll he was again marked "present" but when the regiment left for West Plains on January 27th Emi was one of many who were unfit for the march and stayed behind to convalesce. After ten days in West Plains, the able-bodied moved to the northeast, reached the Mississippi River at Ste. Genevieve on March 11th and from there were transported downstream to Milliken's Bend where General Grant was assembling a large army to capture Vicksburg. From the Bend they walked south along roads west of the river, crossed bayous and waded through swamps until April 30th when they crossed the river from Disharoon's Plantation to Bruinsburg, Mississippi, and were designated as the point regiment for the entire Union army as they started a march inland.
     Military records don't indicate when Emi rejoined the regiment, but about midnight on the 30th they were fired on by Confederate pickets near the Abram Shaifer house and the next day Emi participated in the regiment's first battle of the campaign, the Battle of Port Gibson in which three members of the regiment were fatally wounded and another fourteen had less serious wounds. Having been at the front on the 1st, they were allowed to rest, bury the dead and care for the wounded while other regiments took the lead. On May 16th they were present but held in reserve by General McClernand during the Battle of Champion Hill. On the 17th, after spending the night at Edward's Station, their brigade was rotated to the front and was the first to encounter Confederates entrenched on the east side of the Big Black River and hoping to keep its large railroad bridge open long enough for all their forces to cross and reach Vicksburg before being caught by the Federals.
     Colonels Merrill of the 21st Iowa and Kinsman of the 23rd Iowa conferred and then ordered their men to charge. Running as fast as they could directly at the enemy, the 21st Iowa suffered seven killed while another twenty-two were fatally wounded and forty had wounds that did not prove fatal. Among the seriously wounded was Colonel Merrill who was sent home to recuperate in McGregor. Emi Musser survived the charge and was present on subsequent bi-monthly muster rolls on June 30th during the siege of Vicksburg, August 31st at Carrollton, Louisiana, and October 31st at Vermilion Bayou in Louisiana. From Louisiana they were transported to the Gulf Coast of Texas where Emi remained present with the regiment until they returned to Louisiana in June, 1864.
     After several months of service at Terrebone Station, Algiers and Morganza, Louisiana, they embarked on the transport Illinois on September 3rd and started up the White River of Arkansas. On the 11th they made camp at St. Charles where, eight days later, the Orderly Sergeant of Company A ordered Emi "to go on guard and detailed him for that purpose." Emi refused to obey and, during a court martial proceeding on the 20th, admitted his guilt. For that he was ordered "to forfeit Five Dollars of his monthly pay to the Hospital fund of his Regiment and when not otherwise on duty to be placed on all fatigue parties called from his company for the period of thirty days."
     In the Spring of 1865, he participated with the regiment during its final campaign of the war, a successful campaign to occupy the city of Mobile, Alabama. From there they returned to Louisiana where Emi served briefly as a teamster until being mustered out with the regiment at Baton Rouge, on July 15th. Like many others, he agreed to have $6.00 deducted from his monthly pay so he could retain his musket and other military accouterments. On the 16th they boarded the Lady Gay and started for home and on July 24th were formally discharged from the military at Clinton.
     Federal laws provided for pensions for Northern soldiers who were suffering from a service-related illness or injury that made them totally or partially disabled from earning a living by manual labor. Many were quick to apply, but Emi had no serious disabilities and did not apply. His father died in 1878 and was buried in Eldora, Iowa, and in 1882 Warren, Emi's thirty-five-year-old brother, was working as an "engineer of the St. Louis night express" when he was killed in a railroad accident near Aurora, Minnesota. He was buried in Oakwood Cemetery in Austin, Minnesota
     On June 27, 1890, a more liberal pension law was approved. While a disability still had to be shown, it no longer had to be service-related as long as the soldier had served at least ninety days and received an honorable discharge. Ten days later Emi applied. Living at 2801 4th Avenue in Minneapolis, he said he was suffering from piles and the effects of sunstroke incurred during the Vicksburg siege twenty-seven years earlier. Witnessing his application was James, also a Minneapolis resident. A board of pension surgeons recommended a pension for the piles and on April 20, 1891, a certificate was issued entitling Emi to a monthly pension of $8.00, payable quarterly through the local pension agency. His mother died in 1892 and, like her husband, was buried in Eldora, Iowa.
     On February 6, 1907, Congress adopted an age-based act with monthly pensions that increased with a veteran's age. Emi was a resident of River Falls, Wisconsin, when he applied on February 23rd and was soon approved for $12.00, the amount established for veterans over sixty-two years of age. He later moved to Marshalltown, Iowa, where he was living when two more increases were approved - $19.00 in 1912 and $25.00 in 1914. Emi died on December 21, 1922, and was buried in Greenwood Cemetery, River Falls.
~Compiled & submitted by Carl Ingwalson, June 2021


MYERS, Holland and Delano - photo and brief bio.



Last Updated: May 2022