Visit the USGenWeb Project Website Visit the IAGenWeb Project Website

 What's New

Coordinator Contact

About Us

Return to the Home Page
Contact the Ringgold Cemeteries
Census the Ringgold Counties
 Ringgold County Churches
family pages links to family
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Copyright Statement
History Ringgold County
Ringgold County IAGenWeb History-Biographies Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Lookups
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Mailing Lists
Ringgold County Maps IAGenWeb Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Messageboards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Military
Ringgold County IAGenWeb News Clippings
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Obituaries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Penny Post Cards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Photographs
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Queries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Site Map
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Surnames
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Front Porch

This site is supported by
Friends of IAGenWeb
   

powered by FreeFind
 
    

TINGLEY, IOWA CENTENNIAL: 1883 - 1983

 

  TINGLEY CENTENNIAL LOGO: The railroad was built in 1882, and a train arrived in Tingley September 17, 1882. Tingley had the highest elevation on the H & S Railroad between Humeston and Shenandoah.

The band stand was an old landmark and stood in the center of Main Street over a large well for 35 years.

Main Street was lined with large elm trees that succumbed to Dutch Elm Disease in the 1960's.

Logo designed by Vicki SCOTT SOWERS and submitted by Grandfather, Wayne A. OVERHOLTZER.

 

EARLY SETTLEMENT, TINGLEY TOWNSHIP

  • Tingley Town & Township Directory, 1895 or 1896

    EARLY TINGLEY TOWN HISTORY

     

  • Tingley, 1879 ~ 1884

  • Tingley Community Building

    FIRE of DECEMBER 6, 1894

    FIRES of 1930

    BUSINESSES of TINGLEY

  • Business Directory, 1884 & 1886

  • Businesses: 1900 ~ 1919    1920's ~ 1930's    1940's ~ 1950's

  • ROUSH'S Aerdome

  • BEEN Barber Shop

  • EDWARDS Funeral Home

  • Fourth of July, 1936

     

     

    Courtesy Clair Heyer
    Southwest Side of Main Street, 1963
    Cafe, Barber Shop, Ball Field & Vacant Service Station.

    THE CENTENNIAL TOWN of TINGLEY, 1983

    THE RAILROAD

    TINGLEY'S NEWSPAPERS

    TINGLEY CENTRAL TELEPHONE

    TINGLEY'S CHAUTAUQUAS

    AGRICULTURE

  • Farmers' Institute

  • Old Settlers' Picnic

  • Tingley's Street Fairs & Baseball Tournaments

    TINGLEY'S CHURCHES

  • Christian Church

  • Latter Day Saints Church
    The Latter Day Saints held Sunday evening church services in the early 1940's in the building later [1983] known as the "card shack." Upon the construction of a new church in Mount Ayr, church services were discontinued in Tingley.

  • United Methodist Church

  • United Presbyterian Church

  • Union Bible School

     

    TINGLEY SPORTS

    CIVIC CLUBS & OTHER ORGANIZATIONS

     

  • Modern Woodmen of America, #3782

  • Tingley Lodge No. 15 I.O.O.F.

  • Tingley's 4-H Clubs

  • Tingley Boy Scouts

  • Tingley Girl Scouts

  • Tingley Lions Club

  • Birthday Club

  • BY Club

  • Federated Garden Club

  • Friendly Few Club

  • Home Culture Club

  • Idyl Wyld Club

  • Jolly Neighbors Club

  • Kensington Klub

  • MB Club

  • N.B.B. (Nine Busy Bees)

  • Pastime Club

  • Pioneer Q Club

  • Postphoned Brides

  • "T" Club

  • Unity Club

  • Vel Melchers Club

    RINGGOLD COUNTY CENTENNIAL, 1955

    Tingley's War Veterans

  • Ben Talbott Post 286, Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.)

  • American Legion Dewy Post No. 516

  • American Legion Auxiliary Dewey Post No. 516

    TINGLEY SCHOOL

       Tingley Superintendents    Tingley Teachers    Tingley HS Sports
       Class of 1901    Class of 1902    Class of 1903    Class of 1904
       Elementary, 7th & 8th
      1904-05
       Class of 1905
     
       Class of 1906
     
       Class of 1907
     
       Class of 1908    Class of 1909    HS, 1913-15    5th & 6th, 1916-17
       Jr. & Sr. High, 1919    Classes, ca. 1919    Class of 1920    Class of 1921
       Class of 1922    HS, 1921-22    Class of 1923    Class of 1924
       Class of 1925    Class of 1926    Class of 1927    Class of 1928
       Class of 1929    Class of 1930    Class of 1931    Class of 1932
       Class of 1933    High School, 1934    Class of 1935    Class of 1936
       Class of 1937    Class of 1938    Class of 1939    Class of 1940
       Class of 1941    Class of 1942    Class of 1943    Class of 1944
       Class of 1945    Class of 1946    H.S. 1946-47    Elementary Classes
       Class of 1947    Class of 1948    Class of 1949    Class of 1950
       Class of 1951    Class of 1952    Class of 1953    Class of 1954
       Class of 1955    Class of 1956    Class of 1957    Class of 1958
      Last Graduates ~    Class of 1959   ~ Tingley H.S. 
         Honorary Graduates         Tingley School was torn down in 1980.

    Tingley Biographies

    Dentists ~ Doctors ~ Veterinarians
      Early Doctors & Dentist   Dr. Lyle R. BAILEY   Dr. Leigh S. BEAMER
      S. W. "Doc" & Emma DeLONG   Dr. D. H. KILLINGSWORTH   Dr. J. A. McINTOSH
      Dr. H. D. SHEUMAKER   Dr. Hiram WHISLER  

      

     

       Mary "Polly" (PORTER) ASBURY    The BRECKENRIDGE Family    Mae COIE
       William "Tingley" CORNWALL    The JOHNSTON Sisters

     

     

    Memories of Tingley

      SOURCE: Tingley, Iowa Centennial: 1883 - 1983. PSI, Inc. Belmond IA. 1983.
    Courtesy of Mount Ayr Public Library, September of 2011

    Mount Ayr Record-News, July 03, 2008


  • You are our visitor!
    Thank You for stopping by!



    © Copyright 1996-
    Ringgold Co. IAGenWeb Project
    All rights Reserved.