history of this township is that of Silver Creek up to 1873, when it
was cut out of that township. This was done by order of the board of
supervisors, made October 14, 1873, and it was also ordered that the
first election should be held at the schoolhouse known as the Keg Creek
schoolhouse, near what is known as the Dick HARDIN farm. This is one of
the sons of Davis HARDIN that came in 1838 to look after the interests
of the Pottawattamies. The name HARDIN has been made very popular. One
son (Mart, as he was always called) having held public offices of
various kinds for years and now his son, Will, is the present assessor
of the city, and has been for many years and likely to be many years
more, being one of these Democrats that can always catch a lot of
This township was named after its principal
stream. This stream derives its name from the circumstance that some
early emigrants found several kegs of whiskey that had been hidden in
the willows on its bank. Among the early settlers who have become
prominent and contributed largely to the development of this township
were: Wooster FAY, A. W. WYMAN, S. G. UNDERWOOD and Col. Wm. ORR. Of
these, only Mr. UNDERWOOD is living. He has one of the finest and well
stocked farms in the county.
The first officers of the township were: A.
W. WYMAN, Wooster FAY, and Fredrick MILLER, trustees, and George KIRBY,
justice of the peace. The first road laid out was what is known as the
state road, established by Judge J. P. CASADY in 1860, and was known as
the Council Bluffs and Lewis Road, and for many years it was the only
road in the township.
The first school of which there is any
record was taught in 1856 in an old log cabin that had been moved out
of Moffat's grove to the edge of the prairie, and taught by Miss
Catharine BUFFINGTON. The winter of 1856 was so cold that they did
It seems but proper that we should retain
and hand down the names of the sturdy, patient men that first opened up
this most glorious country and we take pleasure in doing so, especially
as there are few now remaining with us, and we even wonder if we have
their equals with us today, and we will mention a few more that came in
the early times. Thomas MOFFATT came in 1856, and a Mr. BRECKINRIDGE
the same year, Mr. GRIERSON came in 1855 and Henry KAMS opened a farm
at the same date. Mr. GRIERSON died in the fall of the same year that
he came. Mr. McNAY and Wm. CAMPBELL also came in an early day and have
been some of our best citizens.
The present township officers are: F. HEUWINKEL, H. KIRCHOFF and A. L.
INGRAM, trustees; Henry HEUWINKEL, clerk; F. C. FROHARDT and F. W.
BASCH, justices of the peace. No constable qualified, which leaves a
vacancy, but so law-abiding are the people that the election of
justices and constables in only a form.
The school board consists of R. McKINZIE,
president; F. C. FROHARDT, secretary and H. F. SAAR, treasurer. The
township has nine schoolhouses and according to the state census of
1905, there were two hundred and eighty eight persons of school age in
the township, of which one hundred and forty-five were males and one
hundred and forty-three females to fill them.
The township has two churches, that of the
Methodists on section 19, and German Lutheran on section 2. No country
in the world can raise better crops or people than this township.