Histories of Calhoun County
Calhoun was originally named Fox County in 1851, but was changed to Calhoun County in 1853 in honor of United State Vice President, John C. Calhoun. The first County Seat was established in 1855 in Lake City, then moved to Rockwell City in 1876.
Calhoun County Pioneer History
Black, Murl O. Calhoun County Pioneer History: a Sesquicentennial Slice for a County with One Traffic Light. Lohrville, Iowa: M. O. Black, 1995. Print.
Published in Calhoun Farmers Advocate. Rockwell City, Iowa: 1891.
Histories of Places in Calhoun County
County Seats Established: Brooklyn - Lake City - Rockwell City
Published in Lake City Graphic. Lake City, Iowa: 1982.
- The Fickle Family
- The Binkert Family
- The Jesse Marmon Family
- The Lake City Railroad
- Dr. Josiah McVay
- A Story of Early Business and Professional People
- The Bunting Family
- Heritage of the Lake City Business Community
- Episode #5
- Pioneer Preacher's Son Became Manufacturer
- The Hucka family
- What Happened to Pond Grove Lake?
- More About Dr. McVay and His Descendants
- This Well-Known Family's Origin Was Virginia
- The 1930's
- Episode #6
- The Lake City Campbells
- The Dougherty Family
- The McCrary Family
- The Gist Family
- The Moyer Family
- Tillman Gregg, Another Pioneer Family
- Old Oxenford Mill Operated on the Raccoon
- The McCrary Family, Part II
Pomeroy, Iowa: 1893.