History of Wellsburg School
Wellsburg and Steamboat Rock consolidated in 1987. (WSR)
In 2000, Wellsburg-Steamboat Rock was consolidated with Ackley-Geneva. (AGWSR)
Graduates of Wellsburg High School, 1923-1950 (with links to the class composites)
History of Beaman-Conrad-Liscomb Schools, 1857-1993
Beaman consolidated with the Conrad school in 1958.
Liscomb, located in Marshall County, was consolidated with the Beaman-Conrad school system in 1962. (BCL)
Union and Whitten, located in Hardin County, were consolidated with Beaman-Conrad-Liscomb in 1992. (BCLUW)
Graduates of Beaman-Conrad-Liscomb-Union-Whitten 1899-2018 - some years missing
Reinbeck-GladbrookReinbeck and Gladbrook consolidated in 1988. (G-R)
Additional information regarding consolidation of Iowa schools can be found here.
Early History Of Grundy CountyAn Interesting Historical Sketch Prepared by E. H. Beckman in 1876
The Most Complete Collection Of Historical Acts Of This County In Print
(only school details excerpted)
The first superintendent of Common schools was Elias Macy, of Melrose. At that time there were not over ten schools in the county, perhaps each organized township having one school. The progress in educational matters has been rapid the liberal laws of our noble state giving each child an opportunity for a good common school education. In the county there are at present 111 school houses, 115 teachers employed and 3,469 scholars. Under the present efficient county superintendent, G. R. Stoddard, the schools are advancing to a higher grade and consequently the preparation of the teacher must be more thorough. The first school in the county, it is thought, was taught by Miss Ellen M. Lawrence, in the village of Grundy Center.
--Grundy County Democrat (Grundy Center, Iowa), 2 May 1907, pg 1
Co. School Enrollments Gain Slightly Over The Past 5 Years(Editor's Note: This is the fifth in a series of articles based on the preliminary reports prepared by the Grundy County Zoning Commission consultant, Powers Willis & Associates. The title of this article is SCHOOLS)
Grundy county is divided into 11 public school districts, five of which have attendance centers within the county. However, only one district--Wellsburg--is located entirely within the county.
There currently are only two non-public schools operating within the county--Timothy Christian, located just west of Wellsburg, and Excelsior Christian, located on a rural site in the northwest corner of the county.
Both non-public schools are operated by a lay board and receive some financial support from the Christian Reformed Church.
Grundy Center Community School District is the largest in the county, both in geographic area within the county and in total enrollment.
Beaman-Conrad Community School District is larger in total area than the Grundy Center district (114 square miles as compared to 112), but only slightly over half of the Beaman-Conrad district (about 63 square miles) is located in Grundy County; all but two square miles of the Grundy Center district lies within the county.
The Reinbeck district covers an areea of about 105 square miles; the Dike district about 100; and the Wellsburg district 80.
Districts which serve portions of the county but which do not have attendance centers in it are Ackley-Geneva, Aplington, Eldora, New Hartford, Parkersburg and Union-Whitten Community School Districts.
Many school districts in the county have suffered continued growing pains over several decades, not from rapid growth in numbers of students, but thru consolidation and improved instructional programs.
During the past five years (1964-65 to 1969-70), total enrollment in the county has increased about 2 1/2 per cent. But during the two most recent years (1968-69 and 1969-70) enrollment declined slightly over two per cent.
Projections of future enrollment are not presently available, nor are there any current proposals for districts mergers.
However, the Grundy County Board of Education is expected to develop a statistical study of school operations in the county during the next few years--a study that eventually may result in some merger proposals.
--The Grundy Register (Grundy Center, Iowa), 14 May 1970, sec 3, pg 1