RAILROADS in RINGGOLD COUNTY
The county was without railroads until 1879 when the Leon, Mount Ayr and South Western Railroad Company was organized
and built a road from Bethany Junction to Mount Ayr, a distance of 23.1 miles. The counties cross voted from 2 to 5
per cent taxes and contributed $48,000 and the right of way. They received stock for this amount but the stock was
worthless, as the company went into the hands of the receiver and was sold. It was later reorganized and later owned
by the C.B.&Q. Railroad. This and a narrow gauge road started a few years before through Decatur and Ringgold
In 1880, while this first railroad was officially known as the Chariton and Grant City branch, the road
was extended from Mount Ayr to Grant City, Missouri, a distance of 45.4 miles. The towns in Ringgold County served by
this railroad are Kellerton, Mount Ayr, Delphos, and Redding.
The Humeston and Shenandoah Railroad is in the northern
part of the COunty. It was built in 1881 by the BUrlington and Wabash companies in partnership and extended from
Humeston to Shenandoah, a little over 100 miles. The stations in Ringgold County are Beaconsfield, Ellston, Tingley,
In about 1887, the Great Western built a road north and south through the western part of the county and
extends from Minneapolis to Kansas City. This is the best railroad in the county. The town of Goshen about a mile and
a half west of the railroad, moved to this intersection and it was given the name Diagonal.
Click on thumbnail photo or the link to see an enlarged view of the photograph.
Click on "back button" to return to this webpage.
LESAN, Mrs. B. M. Early History of Ringgold County: 1844 - 1937 Pp. 95-96. Blair Pub. House. Lamoni IA. 1937.
Transcription by Sharon R. Becker, June of 2010