SETTLEMENT of RICE TOWNSHIP and DELPHOS
RINGGOLD COUNTY, IOWA
Ringgold County was divided into townships in the year of 1869. The first settler to Rice Township was Alex McCARTY, who
was also the first doctor to settle in Ringgold County, arriving in 1853 to a homestead southwest of Mount Ayr.
Edwin D. PAGE,
arrived from New York State. He enlisted as a Private on November 26, 1861, from Mount Ayr, and was assigned to Company G of the
Fourth Iowa Infantry, and died of disease at Cassville, Missouri, on March 27, 1862. He was 27-years-old at the time of
Thomas H. HALL arrived from Indiana in 1855 and settled on a farm in Section 6 of Rice Township.
On October 27,
1855, Elias A. WHITE came from Maryland and settled in Rice Township. In 1889, William Benner GAMBLE and Able HOOVER assumed
ownership of Elias' farm, working the farm together. Mr. GAMBLE later assumed ownership of the farm. It was believed
by the locals that Mr. GAMBLE was of the Proctor and Gamble Soap Company family. Over the years, the farm had been
owned and operated by I. M. LONG, C. D. BOWLES, A. STEPHENSON, George W. SEFRIT, HAYES Brothers, Clyde GALBRAITH, and Ralph
BRAMMER. George W. SEFRIT operated a large purebred Poland-China hog facility on the farm. In 1979, Ralph BRAMMER operated a
1600 hog confinement facility on the farm, reported by WHO-radio that it was the largest farm in the State of Iowa
with no road going through it at the time.
Some of the farms listed in the 1915 plat
book included: A. E. DEIBERT of Shady Lawn Farm, William BLUNK of Grand River Jack & Mule Farm, Henry Anton LANGOR of
Plain View Farm, James W. SHIEL of Poverty Ridge Stock Farm, John T. THIEL of Cedar Valley Farm, H. H. CLEWEL of Elm
Hill Farm, Jim BROWN of Brown's West View Farm, and W. J. ELICK of Sunrise Farms.
Delphos Centennial: 1880-1980
Early History of Ringgold County State Historical Society
Transcribed by Sharon R. Becker, April of 2009