Visit the USGenWeb Project Website Visit the IAGenWeb Project Website

 What's New

Coordinator Contact

About Us

Return to the Home Page
Contact the Ringgold Cemeteries
Census the Ringgold Counties
 Ringgold County Churches
family pages links to family
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Copyright Statement
History Ringgold County
Ringgold County IAGenWeb History-Biographies Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Lookups
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Mailing Lists
Ringgold County Maps IAGenWeb Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Messageboards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Military
Ringgold County IAGenWeb News Clippings
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Obituaries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Penny Post Cards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Photographs
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Queries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Site Map
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Surnames
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Front Porch

This site is supported by
Friends of IAGenWeb

powered by FreeFind



On July 2, 1855, the first formal meeting of Ringgold County's officers met at the cabin of Ephriam COFER, located approximately six miles south of the town of Mount Ayr. The first business to be taken up was to extend the appointment of Peter DOZE, county assessor, to enable him to complete his work. The appointment was extended until July 15th.

Levi S. TERWILLIGER was appointed as Justice of the Peace for Ringgold County, his term to extend to the first Monday in August, allowing his successor to be appointed and qualified.

The county was then divided into quarters by the range line, between 29 and 30, and the township line between 68 and 69, each of these quarters comprising of four townships, forming an election precinct.

The northeast precinct was No. 1 and named Sand Creek. The house of Stanbury WRIGHT was designated as the place of holding elections; Stanbury WRIGHT, Levi S. TERWILLGER, Sr., and Johnson DADY appointed as judges of the election.

The northwest precinct was No. 2 and named Platte. The house of Garrett BIRD was designated as the place of holding elections; Garrett BIRD, Norval BRIDGES, and Rowlan ANDREWS appointed as judges of the election.

The southwest precinct No. 3 was named West Fork, to hold elections at John McGAUGHEY'S cabin; John McGAUGHEY, Joel CHAMBERS, and William LOVEWELL names as judges of the election.

The southeast precinct, No. 4, was named Lotts Creek with Joseph STRICKLAND'S cabin as the place to hold elections; Joseph STRICKLAND, William J. MERRITT, and Ephriam COFER names as election judges.

Charles Harrison SCHOOLER resigned as school fund commissioner and Harvey WAUGH was appointed in his place, but failed to qualify.

The next record the judge had received was in fees $1.75 and the clerk 25-cents, the recorder $7.60, for a total of $9.60. The divident being struck, each officer received $3.20.

A regular election for the county and township officers was scheduled the first Monday in August of 1855 with the election returns to taken to the cabin of Ephriam COFER.

Court was adjourned.

On July 18, 1855, a report of Peter DOZE was received and he was allowed $45 for assessing. No appeals were made from the assessment, each of the four precincts being declared a district and entitled to a supervisor.

On August 8, 1855, the only business transacted besides appointing Wendall POOR as school fund commissioner, was fixing bonds as follows: Justice, $1,000; Constable, $500; Treasurer, $5,000; Sheriff, $5,000.

On September 4, 1855, the fees were again pooled and divided. Total sum of $16.75, each officer being awarded $5.58 which added to his former dividend made $8.75 leaving a balance due each officer, from the county for the quarter's service ending August 8, 1855.

October 1, 1855. The tax levy was as follows: County purposes 4 mills on the dollar. The State purposes 1 1/4 mills. School purposes 1/2 mill. Road purposes 1/2 mill. Road poll tax, $1,00. Poll tax, 50-cents. This court session was held in Mount Ayr in Barton B. DUNNING'S kitchen.

On the petition of Mary IMUS, George W. LESAN was appointed guardian of the minor children of Horation IMUS (deceased), Clark, Daniel, Seth, Luke, Andrew, Sarah, Leonard, Lewis, and Luther. [Horatio IMUS drowned while moving his family to Ringgold County.]

October 2, 1855, a settlement was made with Charles Harrison SCHOOLER, collector, appointed by Judge LOWE to collect taxes of Ringgold County for years of 1853 and 1854. He was charges with $104.46 and credited with $80.46, leaving $24 on hand.

November 5, 1855, the first business taken up was the disposition of three guns, sixteen steel traps, belonging to the Indians who were removed from the county on July 30, 1855, and the amount to be applied on the cost of their removal which was $86.55 as follows: Catherine HIMES, $3.50; Henry ROWLAN, $3.00; Henry BROADWATER, $2.50; Peter DOZE, $5.00; Wendall POOR, $2.50; N. W. DeWITTE, $3.00; F. A. MILSAP, $5.20; Josiah ALDRIDGE, $2.50; Henry SKIDMORE, $1.75; John SKIDMORE, 250 pounds of beef, $10.00; Barton B. DUNNING, $10; William HAVILAND, $1.75; David EDWARDS, $3.00; F. M. MILSAP, 765 pounds of beef at 4-cents per pound, $30.00; Total $86.85. No itemized bills except the beef, said sale to be on the first Monday in December at Mount Ayr.

The first marriage license in Ringgold County was issued to James O. LOCKWOOD and Lucy GORE.

On October 1, 1855, George W. LESAN was appointed guardian of the IMUS children and had the appraisers appointed to appraise the effect of the minors. W. J. MERRITT, Barton B. DUNNING and Charles Harrison SCHOOLER were chosed and directed to meet in Mount Ayr November 5, to qualify and procced to appraise property and report as by law. Their report was filed November 8, showing property in the hands of their guardian to be $2,471.91.

The court paid Esuc L. SOLES $8.50 for making 5 ballot boxes for the election.

On December 24, 1855, it is recorded that Josiah TURNER made application Judge HAGANS, not being acquainted with Eliza Ann, required proof of her age and competency and on December 25, 1855, Bazil (sic) TURNER testified that she was of lawful age and mind. There upon the second marriage license was issued.

December records show a warrant issued to James WHITE for 50-cents for postage paid by him at Chariton on the laws of Ringgold County.

January 9, 1856, Levi S. TERWILLIGER presented a belated claim in connection with the removal of the Indians of $2.00 for two bushels of meal. It was allowed.

The county officers settled their fee accounts: County Judge had received $6.75; Treasurer-Recorder, $26.80; Grand Total $33.55, each receiving one-half, or $16.77 1/2. The amount was ordered paid from county funds on hand after deducting warrants paid: state funds in treasury, $41.06 3/4; school funds, $14.42 1/2; road and bridge funds, $23.44 1/2. The amount was produced and counted and filed.

Hiram IMUS, first sheriff of Ringgold County, presented a claim for his services for one-fourth of a year and the sum of $1.25, and one-tenth of the judge's salary was allowed.

Ringgold County's First Courthouse, built 1856

  Five marriage licenses were issued in the first six months of 1856: William CAVIN and Mary IMUS, February 27, this being the third marriage in the county; James SHAHA and Elizabeth STRICKLAND, March 12; Robert TAYLOR and Jane BONNER, April 25; Lewis W. DAVID and Martha MURPHY, May 16; Noah ADDINGTON and Mary Jane GARRETT, June 5.

On March 4, 1856, to better suit the people of the central part of the county, a township to be known as Mount Ayr Township was established, consisting of sections 1, 2, 3, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 of what is now Rice Township; sections 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28, 34, 35, 36 of what is now Washington Township; sections 19, 20, 21, 28, 29, 30, 31, 36 of what is now Liberty Township; sections 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 16, 17, 18 of what is now Poe Township, as Mount Ayr Township now.

The Records say the election of officers for said township of Mount Ayr shall take place the first Monday of April, 1856, in Mount Ayr at the house of David EDWARDS.

On April 7, 1856, the court adjourned to meet in Mount Ayr at the house of A. W. TICE on April 8, 1856. Then court adjourned April 19 to meet in Mount Ayr on the first Monday in May, 1856. From this time on, no mention is made of the place where court was held. The first log courthouse was built on May 10, 1856. Clara (HAGANS) HARVEY wrote in a letter that the first log courthouse was not really called a courthouse when her father, Judge James C. HAGANS, caused it to be made, but called it his office. The officers of the county court met at homes until September 2nd or 4th when they adjourned to meet in Mount Ayr on the first Monday in October of 1856 in Barton B. DUNNING'S kitchen.

The log courthouse, built in the Spring of 1856, was a 14-foot square building and was furnished with two rough tables, two desks, bookcases, and a rough box which served as a safe for money and valuable papers. The logs used in the construction of Ringgold County's first courthouse were donated. Judge C. HAGANS, A. G. BEALL and David EDWARDS supervised the construction of the courthouse. Regular occupants were the county judge, the county clerk, the county treasurer-recorder, the county surveyor, and a physician. The log courthouse was struck by a cyclone during a session of the court on June 8, 1858. Many county documents were destroyed along with the courthouse. The county papers and money were scattered all over the countryside, some still being discovered two weeks afterwards. Some papers were never found. Anna MILLER bought what remained of the logs and used them in the construction of her home in Mount Ayr.

On July 1, 1856, the new county was eighteen months old and a census was taken, as follows:

    Sand Creek     61     143     129     272
    Platte     80     192     160     352
    West Fork     65     158     165     323
    Lotts Creek     88     238     172     410
    Mount Ayr     28     72     43     115
    TOTALS     322     803     669     1,472

September 2 and 3, 1856. The town lots were sold at public auction. Fifty-nine lots were sold for a total of $2,735.25. The highest priced lot was 367 where SIMPSON'S store was later located, sold to Sanford HARROW for $126. Lot 268 sold for $109.75 to Sanford HARROW. James C. COFER bought the corner lot south for $115. Lots 302-303 on the south side of the square were bought for $61.50 and $79 respectfully - this being where JACOBS Fur business and Jack FARABEE are now [1936].Lot 203, an eighth of a block in size, ws sold to George W. WILSON for $110.50 and settled for by James H. RUBY, this being the lot were the I.O.O.F building, R. C. SMITH and Grant and Elmer HAYES are located [1936].

Bernard PRESTON bought lots 135 and 136 for $61 and $71. John C. STEWARD purchased lots 137 and 138, where [in 1936] HARDEN'S residence and the feed store stands, for $70 and $80. The bargains of the day were lots 195 and 196, selling for $11 and $15. The south one of these is across the street and east of Fred JOHNSON'S blacksmith shop and is now owned [1936] by Mrs. Charles TEALE.

On September 5, 1856, Wendell POOR, William J. MERRITT, Isaac W. KELLER, John STROUSE, and John D. CARTER were appointed to appraise the lots that had been improved according to the agreement previously made. These lots were appraised and most of the men settled for the lots. At a subsequent meeting, a notice was ordered to be served on those who did not - that if lots were not settled for within 30 days, the county judge would sell to some one else on March 27, 1857. The county judge sold lot 176 for $90 to Simon V. WALTERS, on-fourth to be paid for incase, one-fourth in six months, one-fourth in twelve months, and one-fourth in eighteen months. This lot is the one where the Record-News now is located, and all the buildings north and south from the street to the alley.

The first revenue received from fines: a fine paid by Silas TEDROW for Robert TAYLOR for assault and battery of the person of A. J. CUNNINGHAM on October 25, 1856.

On January 5, 1857, John R. BISHOP provided timber for a bridge. H. ARNETT and C. N. HUMPHREY appraised it and he received $2.25.

The next business taken up was to supply the county courthouse with fuel, light and stationery, which heretofore had been furnished by Judge HAGANS at his own expense. Ann allowance was ordered to Joshua CHANCE for two and one-half cords of wood at $2 per cord, $5 total. Allowance was made to A. G. BEALL for $3 for chopping wood, lining office, and to McMULLEN and HUMPHREY for two loads of wood at 80-cents per load, $1.60 total. Allowance to David EDWARDS for four loads of wood at 80-cents per load, total $3.20. Allowance to JENNINGS and SMITH of St. Joseph, Mo., for a 40-pound box of star candles at 28 1/2-cents per pound, $11.40 total; and allowance to Van LEAR and BRITTEN for two boxes of envelopes at $3.50.

On February 2, 1857, the court ordered Barton B. DUNNING to be paid $6.50 for work on a bridge to the following: Barton B. DUNNING, $3; William H. BRADLEY, $1.50; Samuel ALLISON, 50-cents; I. T. DOUGLAS, 50-cents; David EDWARDS, 50-cents; Elijah WALDRON, 50-cents; total $6.50. Thomas MARSHALL was allowed $14.68 for 754 feet planking at 2-cents per foot, for a bridge.

William WALTERS was allowed $3.75 for a drum for the store in the log courthouse on February 7, 1857.

David LESAN complained of having been charged with poll tax for the year 1856. It being evident that he was a cripple, he was released from paying road or poll tax.

On February 19, 1857 Samuel BAIRD, supervisor of West Fork Township, was allowed $22 for extra services.

On April 7, 1857, a contract was let to H. CRABLE for plank at $20 per thousand for the first Ringgold County jail. Thomas MARSHALL was awarded a contract for the jail lumber at the same price, all to be delivered to Mount Ayr.

On April 9th, the court opened and persuant to adjournment, the clerk, Randolph SRY being present, the fee book accounts were taken up. For the county judge this had never been done since he held the office for the want of an officer to take his place and do the same. So James C. HAGANS vacated his seat and Randolph SRY took his place as acting judge to go into the examination of said judge's accounts. Everything was found to be correct and it was found that the sum of $90.12 1/3 was due to the judge to date on April 15, 1857. The county treasurer, James C. COFER, having resigned and vacted the office, left his deputy, A. G. BEALL, to settle up the affairs of that office. Settlement was made and A. G. BEALL was appointed to fill the office of treasurer-recorder until the next election in August of 1857.

On May 4, 1857, Ith S. BEALL was allowed $138 for going to Fort Des Moines and paying for the field notes and bringing them to Mount Ayr. The field notes were $120, mileage $16, and transportation $2. Joseph SALTZMAN was allowed $3.25 for transportation and storage for a box of books for the county.

In August of 1857, the first records of trial jurors in the county was recorded. The first business was the list of petitioners in attendance in May of 1857, to wit: Sanford HARROW, David M. LESAN, John C. STEWART, William SKINNER, William FRANCIS, Thomas MARSHALL, Henry CRABB, William M. WALTERS, A. W. TICE, Samuel ALLISON, A. J. McCLURG, L. S. TERWILLGER. They were in attendance two days and were allowed $2 each, Total $30.

The first attachment on record was issued to William HARROCKS a against Johnny SKIDMORE for $100, it being claimed under oath the was about to leave the state.

On September 7, 1857, the second petit jurors and the first grand jurors on record were drawn.

The petit jurors were: Robert W. SHAFER, John SNYDER, Jesse JOSEPH, Aaron M. CALVERT, John DWYER, Daniel L. BARKER, James A. DRAKE, D. C. ABARR, Henry ROWLAND, David EDWARDS, Elijah CORNWALL, John M. SHOCKLEY, William M. CARLISLE, John POWELL, and John HACKER.

The grnd jurors were John SHIELDS, William C. HARVEY, Michael STAHL, Isaac OLIVER, Thomas M. HALL, John CARMEN, Gabriel HOFFMAN, W. A. MILLSAP, Henry ARNETT, John MORGAN, Edward HATCH, Henry J. DeWITTE, William Arnett, and Reuben MOULTON.

September 8, 1857. Procurring stone for the first jail foundation and to wall up two wells. They decided to post an advertisment for bids for 45 perches of stone.

October 4, 1857. A peddler's license was issued to August OPPENHEIMER to peddle dry goods, fancy notions for one year with a carriage drawn by one horse. The fee was $25, paid to the county treasurer for the benefit of the state.

Among the 1857 marriage licenses issued: Esuc L. SOLES applied for the marriage license of Jasper HAGANS and Sarah Jane SOLES, March 29, fee $1; Ambrose WRIGHT and Ruth C. GOODELL, the groom-to-be making affadavit as the bride-to-be's age, April 2; John M. PARKER and Elizabeth MERRITT, April 4; Isaac C. SPICER and Elizabeth SHAW with her father S. D. SHAW testifying to Elizabeth's age to the court, April 4; Andrew F. WALTERS and Lucinda MARTIN, April 10 with William MARTIN providing proof of his daughter Lucinda's age; and, Jacob CASTEEL and Laura Ann CONLEY with Mial CONLEY'S written consent, April 21.

Ringgold County's Courthouse, built 1859

  The county built a new, larger, and better framed courthouse out of native lumber 1859 for a cost of $3,500, located on the east side of the square, across the alley north of SIMPSON'S store. The money for the courthouse was raised by the sale of town lots which had been given to the county when the county seat was laid out.

The contract for the construction of the courthouse was let on May 21, 1859, to Peter LININGER, and was settled on August 15, 1859. It is estimated that the courthouse measured 20 X 60, and was two-stories tall. There was a hall about six feet wid on the south side, running the entire length of the building. A staircase went up from this hall from the east and one from the west end. The second story contained the courtroom and two jury rooms with the jury rooms on the east end.

William FRANCIS was the janitor for many years, sleeping in the treasurer's office to protect the county's property. His bed raised up out of the way during the daytime hours.

Prisoners were guarded in one of the jury rooms until 1876 when the first jail was built.

Church and other community meetings of all kinds were held in the courtroom until the congregations built their houses of worship. After the brick courthouse was built, the frame courthouse was occupied by different kinds of offices and businesses.

This courthouse served for 25 years.

On Thanksgiving Day, 1889, the second wood-framed courthouse was destroyed by fire, burning to the ground. Fortunately, construction on the 3rd courthouse had already begun on a third courthouse. The lot was sold. [In 1936,] Mrs. Martha TIMBY owned the lot.

On January 11, 1861, there was a motion before the court to appoint a committee to plant trees and sow blue grass seed in the Mount Ayr park. Isaac W. KELLER was appointed as chairman of the committee. Nothing was done for some time. George W. LESAN and two or three other men sent to Kentucky for blue grass seed and sowed it in the park. In the second year, they came and cut the grass and took it home and threshed it out. George W. LESAN hauled his share home in a wagon box. This was the start of blue grass in Ringgold County.

Ringgold Co. Courthouse, 1914 Post Card Courtesy of Delbert Spencer of Colorado

Feeling that the county was in need of a better place to keep valuable documents and accumulated records along with a more suitable site for the county officers, the matter was taken up in 1881, and a petition was presented to the board of supervisors. The petition requested that an election be called for the purpose of voting on the question of issuing bonds, with a limit of $39,000, to build a new courthouse.

The election was called but was defeated by a large majority. The matter was brought before the board of supervisors again in 1882. Another election was held in June of 1882, being defeated by a small majority. In the fall of 1882, the proposal was presented to the voters during the genearl election. This time the vote was favorable with the limit set at $40,000. The remainder of 1882 was spent selling bonds, looking at plans, adn in March of 1883 a contract was let to R. K. ALLEN of St. Joseph, Missouri for $36,445 using the plans of ECHEL & MANN Company.

As the board of supervisors had sold bonds at a premium, they had a sum of $40,527, leaving a balance of $5,082. It was decided to include a steam heating apparatus and other such modern conveniences.

The ground was broken early in 1883, but due to weather conditions, no great amount of work was accomplished until August. The building was enclosed by cold weather with inside work being done during the winter and spring months.

The courthouse was occupied in April of 1884. Total coust was $36,455.

This courthouse, constructed out of brick and stone, measuring 77 1/2 feet wide north and south, 98 feet long east and west, 50 feet to the top of the roof, and 102 feet to the tower. A "dummy" or a "lift" was put in to lift and lower heavy books to and from the second story. Later a rest room was installed in the basement.

On the first floor were the offices of the clerk of court, treasurer, auditor, superintendent of schools, county attorney, and recorder. On the second floor were the courtroom, sheriff's office, grand jury and grand jury witness room.

The building was equipped with five vaults and a water closet. A grand stairway was on either side of the east entrance and a small stairway near the west entrance.

The courtroom was 40 X 68 feet with a seating capacity of 300. A winding stairs led up on the inside of the tower.

The courthouse stood in the center of the town square and served Ringgold County well for approximately 39 years.

Inferior brick and lack of drainage tiles around the foundation created great cracks in the east and south walls. The building was ultimately condemned in 1921. After it was sold to a house wrecker from St. Joseph, Missouri, for $500 cash, the building was torn down and removed.

Three times the voters were called upon to approve bonds for a new courthouse, each time being defeated by a large majority. On the fourth election, it was defeated by a small majority. On the fifth vote, held June 7, 1926, the matter carried by a majority of 592 votes.

Ringgold County Courthouse

  The county offices were situated in a part of a garage [where the Napa Auto Parts is currently located] for several years. On June 7, 1926, the voters of Ringgold County approved the construction of a new courthouse. The foundation and first floor were finished and the corner stone was laid on November 11, 1926 with the proper ceremony. Made of brick, the new courthouse has three stories and was completed at a total cost of $132,533. It continues to serve Ringgold County to the present day.



County Superintendent of Schools

    1855     Charles Harrison SCHOOLER
    school fund commissioner
    1855     Wendell POOR, appointment
    1858-59     Wendell POORE, elected
    1860-61     A. G. BEALL
    1862-63     Edgar SHELDON
    1864-65     W. F. LAUGHLIN
    1866-67     Andrew JOHNSTON
    1868     Henry W. ROSS
    resigned in September
    1868-69     W. C. ANDREWS
    1870-71     W. J. BUCK
    1872-73     Robert F. ASKREN
    1874-79     W. J. WORK
    1880-81     W. E. ANDREWS
    1882-87     T. E. DUBOIS
    1888-89     Jas. W. GANDER
    1890-91     John RICHARDSON
    1892-98     J. W. WILKINSON
    1899-1902     J. C. BENNETT
    1903-08     Lora L. RICHARDSON
    1909-15     Etta J. RIDER
    to 01 Sep 1915
    1915-24     Louis ASKREN
    to 01 Sep 1924
    1924-27     Olive MANLEY
    1927-33     Silva DOLCHECK
    1933-1966     Vera DICKENS

Clerks of Court

    1855     Matthew B. BROWN
    resigned 10 Oct 1855
    1855-56     Andrew TICE
    1856-60     Randolph SRY
    1861     F. F. HOWE
    died in office
    1861-64     Ith S. BEALL
    1865-70     Thomas ROSS
    1871-72     H. C. ANDREWS
    1873-78     George S. ALLYN
    1879-84     Thomas LIGGETT
    1885-91     James H. BURKE
    1892-95     J. S. EVERETT
    1896-1902     C. G. STRANAHAN
    1903-09     Joseph HOLDEN
    1910-15     H. S. TYRELL
    1916-22     W. M. McCANDLESS
    1923-29     Perry L. STEPHENSON
    1929-30     Ebon C. McANINCH
    died in office
    1930-31     Curt HAAS
    1931-35     Mary E. BOYLES
    1935-39     Asa W. HUGGINS

Ringgold County Judges

    1855-59     James C. HAGANS
    1860-62     Isaac W. KELLER
    resigned Sep 1862
    enlisted in Civil War
    1862     Wendell POOR
    1862-65     Wendell POOR
    1866-67     Isaac KELLER
    1868-69     John T. WILLIAMS
    office abolished 1868
    WILLIAMS assumed auditor duties

Ringgold County Auditors

    1869     John T. WILLIAMS
    1870-75     John McFARLAND
    1876-79     R. F. ASKREN
    1880-81     J. C. ASKREN
    1882-85     J. E. DOZE
    1886-89     Henry H. ROSS
    1890-95     Edgar SHELDON
    1896-1903     Joseph WALL
    1904-09     Jesse SNEDAKER
    1910-15     Tom W. NAPIER
    1916-24     E. E. CORNWALL
    1925-26     Clarence PALMER
    1927-33     Homer A. FOSTER
    1934-36     F. F. FOGLE

Ringgold County Attorneys

NOTE: The district attorneys performed duties of the county attorney until 1887.

    01 Jan 1887 - 01 Jan 1889     R. F. ASKREN
    01 Jan 1889 - 01 Jan 1893     Robert H. SPENCE
    01 Jan 1893 - 01 Jan 1899     Frank Kimberland REYNARD
    01 Jan 1899 - 01 Jan 1905     Frank F. FULLER
    01 Jan 1905 - 01 Jan 1909     Robert Chaney HENRY
    01 Jan 1909 - 01 Jan 1915     Charles J. LEWIS
    01 Jan 1915 - 01 Jan 1917     George L. BARTOW
    01 Jan 1917 - 01 Jan 1919     Frank LEWIS
    01 Jan 1919 - 01 Jan 1923     Frank Kimberland REYNARD
    01 Jan 1923 - 01 Jan 1929     Grant HAYES
    01 Jan 1929 - 01 Jan 1931     A. I. SMITH
    01 Jan 1931 - 01 Jan 1935     Grant HAYES
    01 Jan 1935 - 01 Jan 1937     Emmett WARIN
    01 Jan 1937 - 00 Jan 1961     Grant HAYES
    00 Jan 1961 - 00 Jan 1970     Arlen HUGHES
    00 Jan 1969 - 00 May 1970     William M. WARIN
(01 Apr 1944-04 Apr 2000)
    00 May 1970 - 16 Jan 1996     Arlen HUGHES
    19 Feb 1996 -      Clinton L. SPURRIER

Ringgold County Treasurer and Recorder, Combined Office Until 1865

    1855-57     Joseph COFER
    1857-59     A. G. BEALL
    1860-61     John BIRKHIMER
    1862     Alex J. HUGGINS
    resigned in September
    1862     John T. WILLIAMS
    1863-65     John T. WILLIAMS

Ringgold County Treasurer, Separate Office After 1865

    1865-67     John T. WILLIAMS
    1868-71     C. W. DRAKE
    1872-75     Allen HIGGINS
    1876-79     Henry TODD
    1880-86     A. M. POOR
    1886-95     Thomas CAMPBELL
    1896-1901     J. P. PATTERSON
    1902-1906     W. S. BERKEY
    1907-08     J. E. LESAN
    resigned in the fall
    1908-1909     R. A. LAWHEAD
    1909-1916     R. A. LAWHEAD
    1917-1924     E. K. ALLEN
    1925-1933     Lucy KIDNEY
    1933-     Earl T. HOOVER

Ringgold County Recorder, Separate Office After 1865

    1865-66     Wendell POOR
    1867-72     Warren R. TURK
    1873-74     Hugh A. WHITE
    1875-76     B. F. DAY
    1877-82     H. H. PARSONS
    1883-87     John C. McCLURG
    1888-94     B. F. TALLEY
    1895-1900     C. S. PALMER
    1901-06     O. M. GALLOWAY
    1907-12     G. W. WRIGHT
    1913-22     C. E. THOMPSON
    1923-29     Mabel CAMPBELL
    1929-33     Mrs. Lillian RUSK
    1933-36     Joe CLEMONS

LESAN, Mrs. B. M. Early History of Ringgold County: 1844 - 1937 Pp. 27-31, 35-38. Blair Pub. House. Lamoni IA. 1937.

Transcription by Sharon R. Becker, May of 2010


Thank You for stopping by!

© Copyright 1996-
Ringgold Co. IAGenWeb Project
All rights Reserved.