Visit the USGenWeb Project Website Visit the IAGenWeb Project Website

 What's New

Coordinator Contact

About Us

Return to the Home Page
Contact the Ringgold Cemeteries
Census the Ringgold Counties
 Ringgold County Churches
family pages links to family
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Copyright Statement
History Ringgold County
Ringgold County IAGenWeb History-Biographies Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Lookups
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Mailing Lists
Ringgold County Maps IAGenWeb Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Messageboards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Military
Ringgold County IAGenWeb News Clippings
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Obituaries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Penny Post Cards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Photographs
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Queries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Site Map
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Surnames
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Front Porch

This site is supported by
Friends of IAGenWeb

powered by FreeFind


The Last Herd of Buffalo Seen

by Cora (Fertig) Hall

When I was a small girl, on Sunday afternood men gathered in our barn driveway to crack nuts, eat apples, drink cider, and tell of the past, gone but not forgotten.

When the FERTIGS came to Iowa ahead of an Indian massacre at Pine Bend, Minnesota, they found a settlement which now is north of Benton, Iowa.

As their animals were tired and the people were friendly, they decided to stay. With the help of the people, they soon had a house and barn built. At times, when wild animals destroyed their gardens, they had to forage for their food, such as: nuts, berries, and fish. With wild game, one could live off the land.

Salt was a necessity for the FERTIGS and their livestock. The only way they knew how to get salt was to go to a deer lick. The deer found salt by licking the ground. It was in the late summer and the trip to the deer lick was long and hard. They wanted to be home before the fall rains came. They used two wagons, taking extra horses, as the horses were easily cripple. The creeks were full of quicksand.

My father, William Henry FERTIG, just a young boy on a spotted Indian pony named Chief, rode ahead of the wagons. The trail they followed had been made by Indians and Buffalo. The trail often times had to be cleared of fallen trees and limbs. He had to check all the streams, as the late summer water was low. In places where the animals crossed the streams, there wouldn't be any quicksand, and it was safe to cross.

He had two guard dogs and the mother dog named "Balto" with the wagons. After the wagons were loaded, they started home with their heavy load. The wagons were heavy and the old trail was bad, and they had to cross the streams without getting the salt wet. While my father watched the horses graze, the men would sit on a log and read from the Bible.

Time was passing fast and they needed to get across swampy ground before the rains came. They had just gone a short distance when "Balto" warned of danger. They stopped and heard a low rumbling sound, and got off the trail just in time, as a small herd of buffalo passed them, coming from Canada, going to Kansas to winter.

At the end of the herd were two cows and two calves. The two calves were butchered for their winter meat. They loaded the meat and the kinds onto the wagons and sent my father ahead to get fresh horses and men. The men rode beside the wagons with rope to help pull the heavy load. The meat and salt was divided and all were happy.

The Buffalo which were the last to be seen, used the trail to Canada in the spring and returned to Kansas in the fall. They were the first and only buffalo seen by my father.

William Henry FERTIG was born in 1861 and died in 1950.

SOURCE: Benton Centennial book, Pp. 181-82.

Transcription & photograph by Sharon R. Becker, May of 2010


Thank You for stopping by!

© Copyright 1996-
Ringgold Co. IAGenWeb Project
All rights Reserved.