Visit the USGenWeb Project Website Visit the IAGenWeb Project Website

 What's New

Coordinator Contact

About Us

Return to the Home Page
Contact the Ringgold Cemeteries
Census the Ringgold Counties
 Ringgold County Churches
family pages links to family
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Copyright Statement
History Ringgold County
Ringgold County IAGenWeb History-Biographies Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Lookups
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Mailing Lists
Ringgold County Maps IAGenWeb Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Messageboards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Military
Ringgold County IAGenWeb News Clippings
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Obituaries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Penny Post Cards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Photographs
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Queries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Site Map
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Surnames
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Front Porch

This site is supported by
Friends of IAGenWeb
   

powered by FreeFind
 
    

 

BETHEL CHURCH

Grant Township, Ringgold County

The Bethel Church was a direct result of a promise Mrs. [Sarah (ALRED)] Adam G. TALLEY made to her pastor , Reverend MEDSEER in the spring of 1856. The TALLEYS were preparing to leave their Indiana home to homestead in a new and unsettled country. They brought their certificates of church membership with them, and settled in Ringgold County.

The Bethel class was organized in December of 1856, in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Adam G. [Sarah (ALDRED)] TALLEY and Benjamin F. and Sarah Catherine (KELLER) TALLEY. Reverend Jesse SHERWOOD of Mount Ayr served as the class' leader.

The congregation consisted of thirteen charter members: Mrs. and Mrs. Adam G. TALLEY, Benjamin KELLER Sr., Mr. and Mrs. Michael STAHL, Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin KELLER Jr., Mr. and Mrs. I. A. TALLEY, Mr. and Mrs. B. F. TALLEY, Mrs. G. J. KELLER, and Miss Mary KELLER.

The congregation met in the Adam G. TALLEY home until 1864 when they began meeting in the Hannelly school house.

The Bethel Church was built in 1869 at the entrance to Bethel Cemetery. It was constructed of native walnut siding fastened to hand-hewn timbers and roofed with hand-split shingles. The siding boards were all hand-planed with the church members doing most of the labor. Seating was made from slabs of lumber by fitting wooden pegs into holes which had been bored into the slabs.

For fifteen years, the Bethel Church was the only church in the community. It was "the scene of the wonderful manifestation of God's saving power as scores and scores of souls were converted within its walls."

In 1871, Ringgold County was divided into a north half and a south half. The north half was known as the Bethel ciruit; the south half built a church and parsonage in the town of Benton.

With the establishment of the town of Goshen, a larger church was built in 1881 under the pastorate of J. P. EVANS. The Bethel Church was moved on rollers across the road south and used as a schoolhouse. Later the Bethel Church was sold to Elmer TALLEY and used as a barn on his farm located west of the cemetery. Years later the building was torn down.

SOURCES:
Diagonal, Iowa: Centennial History p. 168. 1998.

JOHNSON, Mrs. Esther - great-great-granddaughter of Mr. & Mrs. Adam G. TALLEY. "Bethel Church"

Transcriptions by Sharon R. Becker, April of 2010; updated May of 2010

To submit your Ringgold County church items,
contact Sharon R. Becker at srbecker@windstream.net.
Please include the word "Ringgold" in the subject line. Thank you.


Thank You for stopping by!



© Copyright 1996-
Ringgold Co. IAGenWeb Project
All rights Reserved.