St. Mary's Catholic Church
History from the Pomeroy Centennial 1870 - 1970
There are no exact records of the first Church built, but it is thought to be about 1881 or 1882. The Church and all of its records were destroyed in the Pomeroy Cyclone. The present structure was built on the site of the old one in 1894. The cemetery property was acquired about 1896 or 1897.
The first resident Pastor was Rev. Edward J. Neppl, who served St. Mary's from 1919 to 1923. He was also Pastor of the newly organized Church at Palmer.
Father Neppl left in 1924 and since then the Pomeroy Parish has been served by the following Priests:
- Father Jos. M. Neppl 1923-1924
- Father Richard Graff 1934-1938
- Father James A. Kane 1938-1944
- Father N. J. Boes 1944-1954
- Father Raymond Calkins 1954-1955
- Father L. H. Greving 1955-1956
- Father Thomas Lawless 1956-1958
- Father G. A. O'Rourke 1958-1959
- Father L. J. Eisenbacher 1959-1961
- Father A. E. McCoy 1961-1965
- Father J. C. Yetmar Present Pastor