1856 Iowa State Census for Calhoun County, Iowa
At the time of the 1856 census, Calhoun County was only a few years. All the settlers in the county fit onto just four pages.
- Name Index
- Pg. 4-5: Tharp (2x), Carnin, White, Butrick, Davis, Ellison, Luther, Scott, Colier, McCoy, Smith (2x)
- Pg. 6-7: Okesenford, Brady, Clark, Borders, McCay (2x), Bush, Shoult, Smith, Vanhorn, Pollock, Huke, Bets, Haines, Buntry, Baker, Gill
- Pg. 8-9: Gill, Manlore, Bebee, Tharp, Reams, Smith, Hull, Golden, Williams (2x)
- Pg. 10-11: Smith, Griffen, Amy, Marmon, McGeorge
Note on the final page of the census:
I do solemnly swear that the foregoing census schedule is a correct census of this township and county of Calhoun in the state of Iowa subscribed and sworn to before me this day of July AD 1856 S. W. Davis Sec Assessor.
Notes for this census transcription:
- Pages 4 & 5 actually follow pages 8 & 9
- Line numbers do not exist in the original document. Line numbers were created during transcription for ease of reference.
- Column 22, the column for "Acres of improved land," was often cut off in the microfilm. Numbers may be missing or not reliable.
- Columns on the second page (22 to the end) do not always line up in a way that makes sense (i.e. sometimes children own land). Usually numbers on the second page, when not connected to the head of house or a boarder, seem to be connected to the spouse of the head of household or the last family member.
- Birth locations are listed according to the full name of the location when obvious (e.g. N.York = New York).
- Quoted text (usually last names or occupations) is written out in full.
This census was originally transcribed by Cindie Haskell Meincke for the IAGenWeb State Census Project, © 2005.
This census was re-transcribed and formatted for the web by Tyler Rasmussen, Calhoun County Coordinator for IAGenWeb, © 2012.