Lake City Graphic

October 31, 1889

We had a little rain yesterday.

Jay GOFF, from Dakota, is visiting in town.

Hugh McCLURE is trying to break a cold to drive single.

The plastering at the new school building is completed.

The public telephone service is a non-partizan institution.

Defective sidewalks ought now to be in good condition.

L. & C expect to run a free delivery wagon pretty soon.

The Blade expects to get moved into its new office, Saturday.

Mr. Geo. L. BROWER'S turnout was in town from the Hub, Friday.

Mr. MASTERS is to occupy the building vacated by LASELL & CHAPMAN.

Miss Mary MORSE will return to Colorado next week via Des Moines.

Mrs. RICHARDSON, of Dayton, is visiting with Mrs. WALLACE, for a few days.

A large crowd from town attended the dance at Carl RIPLEY'S Tuesday night.

Mr. DEHART brought us a curiosity in the form of nine cabbages on one stalk.

Mr. Ed. LEATHERBERRY bought a residence lot from Chas. H. TAYLOR yesterday.

Walter BAUMAN concluded a six months engagement in the GRAPHIC office last week.

Capt. HAYES is getting ready to move his livery barn to the southeast corner of his block.

Mr. Jas. BLANCHFIELD has a very fine Cleveland bay horse at his new barn imported by GLINES & SON.

Dr. FAIRCHILD was in the city yesterday in consultation with Dr. McVAY in the case of Mr. NASH.

Chauncy MORSE, a nephew of H. MORSE, is here from Big Srpings, Wis., on a visit with the MORSE family.


The first conflagration among business buildings in the history of Lake City, took place last Sabbath evening. The fire broke out in the coal shed of the McLANE & HAYDEN grocery store at about 7:30. The alarm of fire emptied the Presbyterian and Methodist churches quickly but the South church congregation was not advised of the fire until the services were nearly ended. The fire from the first was violent, and by the time the first water reached the place it was seen that the three wooden frame buildings in the row could not be saved. All efforts were bent upon saving the HUTCHINSON & LUMPKIN brick building, which was accomplished by hard work. About $90 worth of goods was saved from the M. & HAYDEN stock. Mr. OLMSTEAD saved his office fixtures, Humphrey's tin shop was emptied of its contents and rolled over and over away from danger. McCRARY'S law office was also rolled over without removing the contents. Much of H. & LUMPKIN'S stock was moved out of the store and some what damaged in the handling. A noticeable feature of the fire was the work of a number of ladies who handled goods and carried water like old veterans. An empty bucket struck young Tommy GREENWOOD upon the head at the fire and laid him out temporarily, and a heavy iron fell upon Emmett ZANE'S foot and so crippled him that he has not been out of bed since, and has required constant attention night and day. One billiard table and some of the goods were saved from the MOSELEY building. This building was insured for $500, valued at $800. The Cy. YOUNG building was valued at $800 and was insured for $500. M. & HAYDEN'S stock was worth $1,600 or more, insurance, $1,000. C. SHERMAN'S loss in the MOSELY building was from $200 to $300, no insurance. Mr. OLMSTEAD'S loss is variously estimated at from $500 to $700, insurance $400. It is the general opinion of the people that the fire was the work of an incendiary.