It is great pity that we must crowd the great histories of
our churches into the little nutshells of this chapter. Suggestions of
what might be written of many of these churches may be found in the things
that have been written concerning some of them in preceding chapters.
The list, alphabetically arranged with dates of organizations, names of
pastors, etc., is substantially complete, only a few being omitted, and
those of no significance. The number of the list if four hundred and
No doubt those familiar with the churches of the state will be surprised
at the number of unfamiliar names here recorded. More than one-third of
these churches are not now in existence. Some never had anything more than
a name to live. Some died in good health and without cause or reason
expecting unwillingness to bear the responsibilities of life. Many that
dropped out by the way justified themselves in their living, and in their
dying too. Some died to live in other churches, sometimes in churches of
other names. The loss by death is not nearly as great as appearances would
seem to indicate. This list of churches, names of pastors, and date of
dedications represent decades and even centuries of consecrated toil and
sacrifice with great forces intellectual, moral and spiritual, working for
the making of the commonwealth, the leavening of the nation, and the
saving of the world.
Former names: Vernon Springs and New Oregon. Father Windsor,
1856-1866 and 1868-1871, S.D. Peet, E. Southworth, A.S. McConnell
1876-1890, W.H. Kaufman, James Oakey, J.H. Boggess, O.H. Holmes,
1896-1902, J.H. Eakin and J.J. Hinman. Dedications, November 17,
1861, and January 21, 1900.
May 13, 1887. Eli Beers, B.F. Paul, L.A. Brink, V.F. Brown,
James Rowe, L.E. Potter, E.H.H. Holman, Q.L. McCleery, J.C. Warner and F.E.
Cain. Dedication, June 29, 1890.
September 4, 1858. Edwin Teel, W.L. Coleman, C.S. Marvin, W.F.
Harvey, S. Penfield, O.A. Thomas, J.H. Skiles, J.A. Brown, Abbie R.
Hinckley, L.N. Pierce, N.L. Packard, T.C. Hunt, S.J. Huffman.
Dedications, October 13, 1869 and December 28, 1902.
June 17, 1891 Yoked with Elma and Riceville.