Quigley, John J. Rev. 1812 - 1887
Posted By: Reid R. Johnson (email)
Date: 1/1/2023 at 19:53:44
Elkader Register, Thur., 15 Sept. 1887.
Last Saturday night about eleven o'clock, at the parochial residence, Elkader, occurred the very sudden death of Rev. J. J. Quigley. It seems that he was preparing to retire for the night, when he was taken with a violent fit of coughing and choking, and before medical aid could reach him had passed from the scene of earthly labors and gone to his reward in the world beyond the grave. He was surrounded by the members of his household, during his last moments.
The news of his death was a shock to all our citizens, and it was hard to believe that the man who was so full of life and vigor on our streets a few hours before, was lying in the cold embrace of death. To the members of his church it was a trying blow, and many were the tears shed for the loss of their pastor who had labored so long and faithfully among them.
John J. Quigley was a native of county Limerick, Ireland, where he was born in the year 1812, being 75 years at the time of his death. He resided in Ireland until some time in the 60's when he removed to the United States, and soon afterward took his orders as a priest of the Catholic Church at Milwaukee, Wis., and was then stationed at Wilton, Iowa, for two years, and later, in December 1867, was given charge of the mission at this place. For nearly twenty years he had labored among our people, and none can be found but speak of him in words of praise for his faithful work.
His ambition was to make the mission at Elkader the most prosperous, and its property the most beautiful of any in this vicinity, and he has done much in that direction. When he came to Elkader he found a church building but there was no plaster on its walls, and the floors were poorly constructed and rotten, while the parochial residence was but little better than a shed.
He has completed the church, built a fine and commodious residence; erected a Sister's school, placed a fine chime of bells in the property, and cleaned and fitted up the cemetery. This work has been going on incessantly and his very last appearance among our people, on Saturday afternoon last, was for the purpose of collecting some money for the purpose of going forward with his work. In all his undertakings he was ably supported by his congregation and our citizens generally, but to his indomitable will and energy belongs the credit of the work accomplished. That his efforts were fully appreciated, was evident from the vast concourse of people who gathered at the church Tuesday, to do the last sad honors to the deceased. The impressive ceremonies of the church, consisting of the requiem mass, and sermons in English and German, were conducted by Fathers Riley, formerly of McGregor, but now of Elkader; Thos. Rowe, of Strawberry Point; M. Sheehan, of Elkport; Tierney, of Ossian; Haxmeier, of Lansing; Hackett, of Clermont; B. Coyle, of Waverly; Nagle, of Waterloo; and Hellrigle, of Garnavillo. The sermon was in German was delivered by Father Hellrigle, of Garnavillo and was highly spoken of, while the sermon in English was a masterpiece; said to be one of the finest preached in the church at this place. The remains were laid away to their eternal rest in the Catholic cemetery.
"After life's fitful fever he sleeps well."
Clayton Obituaries maintained by Sharyl Ferrall.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen