Brandt, Maria Elizabeth (Niemann) 1852 - 1934
BRANDT, NIEMANN, NIEMAN, ENGEL, OVERBECK, ALLYN, BECKER, KRAMER, STICKFORD, TISCHHAUSER
Posted By: Reid R. Johnson (email)
Date: 7/29/2021 at 12:05:55
Clayton County Register, Thur., 13 Sept. 1934.
Maria Elizabeth Niemann was born in Schledehausen, Amt Osnabrueck, Hanover, Germany, on Sept. 15, 1852, the daughter of Mr. Herman Niemann and his wife, Maria Engel, nee Overbeck. On Sept. 19th she became a child of God through the rite of baptism. When she was about a year old the family emigrated to America and came to Clayton county, where it settled on the Niemann farm in Jefferson township, which today is occupied by her nephew, Louis Niemann, and family.
She attended the elementary school that was taught in district No. 6, five miles from Garnavillo, by Rev. Paul Stockfeld, a school that was attended by as many as 60 and 70 pupils, coming as far away as Monona and Postville, and that compared very favorably with other schools of the pioneer days in this section. Later she also attended confirmation instruction at St. Peter's Lutheran church in Ceres and was confirmed by Pastor Stockfeld on Easter Sunday, April 1st, 1866. Our departed sister often spoke in terms of high regard for Rev. Stockfeld, and always maintained a great interest for the church at Ceres, even after she removed out of its territory.
On March 1, 1872, she was married to Henry Brandt of Garnavillo. Eight children, two sons and six daughters, were born to this union, of which one, Maria Wilhelmina, died in 1884. The couple took over the farm of the husband's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Herman Brandt, which is situated a short distance west of Garnavillo. She lived on this farm for 39 years, attending to her duties as a housewife and mother and experiencing God's richest blessing in a material manner on the labors of her and her husband.
Early in the year 1911 Mr. and Mrs. Brandt left the farm with their youngest daughter, Nettie, and moved into the beautiful new home they had built, turning the management of their farm over to their son Louis, who occupies it now with his family. After enjoying a few years of retirement, Mr. Brandt passed away Feb. 2, 1917.
Mrs. Brandt maintained a home that was frequented not only by her children but by a large circle of friends, who loved her for her kind disposition and willingness to help. The writer of these lines as well as many of his relatives have often enjoyed her hospitality, and appreciated her sympathetic understanding. She was a faithful member of our church, who, even when it became impossible for her to attend services, frequently availed herself to the Word and Sacrament. She was one of the charter members of the Ladies Aid society and could always be counted upon to support its undertakings at home and in the church at large. As an official of the Orphans Home at Waverly, the writer wishes to acknowledge the aid she often gave.
After a brief illness, our sister passed away early Saturday morning, at the age of 81 years, 11 months and 23 days. She is survived by her daughters, Anna Allyn, Louise Becker, Mathilda Kramer, Alvina Stickford, and Nettie Tischhauser, and her sons, Louis and Elmer.
With the exception of Mrs. Becker, of Elkader, all live in or near Garnavillo. She is also mourned by 21 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren, and many other relatives and friends.
Her only brother, Gerhard Nieman, died early in March, 1932. May she rest in peace and the eternal light shine upon her.
Clayton Obituaries maintained by Sharyl Ferrall.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen