Story County, Iowa
Military Eligible 1863
Search Military Eligible 1863
The Iowa Militia Law required counties to report the persons subject to military duty. The 1863 list was transcribed from FamilySearch.org images. (To locate on their site search images for Story, Iowa, United States, select Life Event type Military Service, and from that select Military Record for Story, Iowa, United States 1862–1910. This provides a group of 784 images. The 1863 lists are images number 21–46.)
The 1863 enumeration was certified on June 23, 1863. See 1862 Certification Letter for an example of a certification to the state Adjutant General.
The 1863 lists contain more information than in most other years. The following is included:
- Line: Line number as recorded in the document
- Name: Given name with surname in upper case letters. An altername surname, when present, aka follows the surname and the alternate surname is shown in upper-case. That is followed by an alternate source shown in parentheses such as (1885 Census), (Cem Rec) for cemetery record, or (Ed Guess) for educated guess.
- Location: All were township names
- Post Office: A post office may not be in the same township as the residence
- Image#: The number of the image in the FamilySearch images from which these were transribed
Please E-Mail Mark Christian with your questions, comments, or suggestions.
Story Co. Home Page