Early Rutland Businesses
- Business Index
store building in Rutland was a small frame structure that was moved from
the Bickwell farm. Mr. J.C. Helms opened a general store in the building. He
sought to supply the buying public with the same type of merchandise that
was available in Humboldt. After six months, and a stormy tide of business,
Mr. Helms closed his store and moved away.
In 1871, a company
of men known under the firm name of the Rutland Mercantile and Manufacturing
Company opened a business. The corporation was composed of Ezra A. Wilder
Sr., E. K. Lord, Mr. Simmons, and Dr. Ira L. Welch. Their business was
fairly prosperous. After two years of doing business in Rutland, the R. M.
M. C. sold their interests to E. A. Wilder.
C. N. King was the
next to open a business concern in Rutland. Mr. King was a well known
pioneer of Humboldt County. He maintained his business for about two years,
and then moved his possessions to Bradgate, where he lived until his death.
During the same time period, Austin W. Creed of Rolfe, moved in with a stock
of goods, but he abandoned the effort after three years. He moved his goods
to a more populated location.
seeing that there was a need for a general store opened a business in 1879.
Later, John A. Koob, of Dakota City, bought the interests of Mr. Welch, but
he moved on after just two years of operation.
Ezra A. Wilder,
Jr. opened a good general merchandise store. He took in as his partner
Frank Briton and they conducted business under the name of Wilder & Briton.
The partnership continued until 1884, when Mr. Wilder purchased the business
interests of Mr. Briton. The business continued under the name of Wilder's
until fall of 1885. John W. Campbell traded his farm to Mr. Wilder for his
interest in the business, and the offer was accepted.
After two years of
trying his hand at being a business man, Mr. Campbell traded it for the farm
of Ira Pattee. Mr. Pattee took charge and conducted a successful business
until 1890 when he closed out the business and moved north.
In the mean time,
Mr. Wilder had been conducting a general business at Rolfe, and seeing the
vacancy caused by the closing out of Mr. Pattee; he moved his goods from
Rolfe and reopened in his old location. In 1895 he sold his stock to P.
Martins and Fred Jensen. Martin & Jensen only remained in business a few
months before the resold to Mr. Wilder.
Mr. Wilder did not
continue the business long, but in the fall of 1895 sold the stock to August
Holleschau and Edward Pavey. These gentlemen conducted the establishment
for two years, when they dissolved their partnership, Mr. Holleschau
remaining in the old location, and Mr. Pavey moving his share of the goods
into the room of the old building. After two more years of business, Mr.
Holleschau closed out his goods and moved away. Mr. Pavey sold his stock to
E.W. Bunger, who continued it until the fall of 1904 when he sold out and
moved to Cedar Rapids.
Dr. Lord erected a
small building and opened up a drug store and post office in 1872, and
continued in business for two years, when he closed out and the building
remained vacant for a short time, after which it was occupied by O. D. Legg
as a drug store for about two years who in turn also closed out and moved
away. Sometime later a gentleman named Peabody opened a drug store and a
made an unsuccessful bid for public patronage, but he likewise left for lack
In 1883, Daniel
DeGroote started a general store and conducted it with success until 1889
when he disposed of it to a gentleman named Harrison and moved to Humboldt
where he conducted a successful business. Mr. Harrison continued in his
business venture until 1890, when he closed his goods and moved away.
blacksmith shop of Rutland was established in 1871 by O. F. Shaw who moved
up from Ft. Dodge. After two years of work, he abandoned the field and
moved to Nebraska.
In 1874, D.C.
Sandbo moved up from Ft. Dodge and took up the blacksmith occupation, and
for eight years looked after the wants in his line of the surrounding
county. In 1882, he moved to Bode where he continued his vocation.
operation of the Sandbo shop, James Oxborrow opened a smithy in Rutland. He
was from Illinois, and he remained in Rutland after his rival left. He was
succeeded by Chris Bunde, who in turn sold out to John Willey. Mr. Willey
disposed of this business to David Mimmeiman in 1894, who conducted the shop
alone until 1904, when he sold a half interest to Hans Quist, with the firm
name of Himmelman & Quist.
The Rutland Mill
was established in the year 1871 by the Rutland Mercantile and Manufacturing
Company. The water power of the mill had always been among the best in the
state, the river affording an abundance of power for all the uses of the
proprietors of the mill. It was conducted successfully until the fall of
1890 when high water washed out the dam; it was abandoned and left at a
standstill. Thus it stood until 1892, when Mr. Shaffer, a practical miller
of Dakota City where he worked in the Brown Bros. Mill, associated himself
with William Boothroyd, and purchased the mill and water rights and reopened
it for business. After a few years of successful work during which they
fitted the mill with a complete new outfit of modern machines, the firm
dissolved, Mr. Shaffer retired. William Bothroyd continued to give the
local people the best service they had ever known.
was born in Racine Wisconsin, May 27, 1857. He is one of the early settlers
of Iowa, and a sterling citizen. April 10, 1881 he was united in marriage
with Miss Hannah Warnes. Two children, both girls, were born to bless the
union. With his family he moved to Rutland in 1902. Mr. Boothroyd was
prominent in town affairs. He was a member of the K. P. and Woodmen lodges,
and was a director of the Rutland schools.
In 1905, Rutland
was a growing and thriving community, and in a special Newssheet called the
Rutland Republic the following businesses were named:
Hardware—Gregory and Sheridan featuring
Heating Stoves, Harness, Stove Boards
Hardware—Mikola Dziewanowski Harness,
Whips, and Tinware
General Merchandise – Johns & Phleger
advertising; You get coupons at this store, and you get 5% off your bill if
you pay cash.”
General Store –Abe DeSmidt
Meat Market – Irv. Lovrein & George
Restaurant – Hotel and Livery – Bert
Billiards, Pool & Lunchroom – J. H.
West Elevator – George DeGroote
Shoe Repair Shop – Thiele’s
Blacksmith Shop –Dave Himmelman and
Barber Shop—Andrew Jergens
Rutland Hotel – D. A. Davenport
Rutland Roller Miller—William Boothroyd
Postmistress—Mrs. Chris Johnson
Rural Mail Carrier, Wesley Davenport
Rutland Drug Store, Andrew Arent
Dr. F. E. Welch
Millinery Shop—Mrs David Himmelman
Rutland Creamery—Joe Bogh, Butter maker
Davenport & Locke Cement Block
Industry—Ice Shipping Industry in winter
Rural Union Telephone Station—Miss
Laura Brown, Operator
Rutland Dray Line – John Goodell.
The shipping of
livestock, great herds of cattle, sheep and hogs, mostly driven in on foot
to the market to be shipped out in railroad cars was an industry that has
kept alive through the years. Also the marketing of the grain, long lines
of horse drive wagons lined up waiting turn to be weighed and unloaded at
the elevator. Rutland has served her people thus from its beginning, and
continues to serve them well.
1930 Rutland Businesses