Glimpse of Iowa in 1846
By John B.
Druggists and Apothecaries.- Joseph F. Myers,
Groceries.- Joseph Schemlyle, J. & G. Schaffer,
J.G. Kennady, John Seba, G. Keil, John B. Govert.
Lawyers.- Ed. Johnston, Hugh T. Reid, John F.
Kenney, Benj. S. Roberts, Geo. H. Williams, Phihlip Viele, D.
F. Miller, O.S.X. Peck, Thos. S. Espy, L.R. Reeves, Henry Eno.
Physicians.- John Claypole, E. Whinery, Joel C.
Walker, D.H. Rossau, A.H. Brownson.
Hotels.- Eagle Hotel, C.H. Perry; Madison House,
A.Pitkins, (furnished with the invaluable luxury, to the weary
traveller, a commodious bath house); Washington House, Harriet
O'Reilly; "Inn," Wm. McIntire; National Hotel, J. Williams.
Churches.- Methodist Episcopal; New School
Presbyterian, a neat and commodious structure of brick, Rev.
J.A. Clark pastor; Old School Presbyterian, in progress of
erection; Catholic Church; Campbellite Church; True Wesleyan
Printing Office- from which is issued the "Lee
County Democrat," published by R.W. Albright; Thomas S. Espy,
CORPORATION OF FORT MADISON.
Mayor- Thomas Hale.
Aldermen-J.W. Albright, Thomas Fitzpatrick, Guy
Wells, Silas Halstead, Wm Wilson, Geo. Irvin.
Magistrates.- Edwin Guthrie, H.L. Salmon, A.B.
Postmaster.- Thomas A. Walker.
As early as 1805, Gen. Pike selected this
point as a military station, and it was occupied for that
object in 1808. Aboutthis time the Indians, consisting of the
Sacs and Foxes, Chippewas, Ottawas, Winnebagoes, Pottawatamies,
and several other tribes, were in league with great Britain;
and during the war, which was shortly afterwards declared
between the United States and that country, these tribes were
very troublesome to the few scattered settlers in what was
then a vast wilderness.
In 1813, owing to the fearful odds of the savage
foe, and the great extremities to which the garrison was
reduced, old Fort Madison was evacuated by the troops, and
destroyed by fire.
In 1832, Fort Madison was again settled by Z. Hawkins,
Benj. Jennings, Aaron White, Augustine Horton, Daniel Thompson
and Peter Williams. In 1833 their claims were purchased by the
late Gen. John H. and Col. Nathaniel Knapp. In the summer of
1835, these gentlemen laid off the town, and, during the
summer of 1836, lots were first offered for sale. From that
time up to the present period, the town has had a steady and
Bloomington is among the most important
points in the Territory of Iowa. Its situation, upon one of
the great bends of the Mississippi, gives it great commercial
advantages, which have been duly appreciated by an energetic
and enterprising population. It is the seat of justice of
Muscatine county, and contains a population of about 1600
inhabitants. Bloomington is the natural depository for a vast
amount of the produce of the surrounding country. It is the
most convenient landing for merchandise destined for Iowa
City, Moscow, Tipton, and the principal portion of the
counties of Cedar, Linn, and Johnson. It contains a handsome
brick Court House; Jail; several Churches; a Masonic Lodge;
many neat and tasteful residences, and several spacious brick
BLOOMINGTON DIRECTORY - 1846.
Dealers in Dry Goods, Groceries, Hardware, &c.
Bridgman & Weed, Rob't McClelland, Jno.
G. Gordon, Lyman Holt, Alfred M Miller, Kelly, Horn & Co., J.
Bennett & Co., Green & Stone, Fulton & Lemp, Edwards and
Taylor, Charles Evans, Petre Jackson.
Forwarding and Commission.-
E.B. Kinson, A.M.
Drugs and Medicines.-
E.E. & P. Fay, John B.
Dougherty, J.S. Fennimore.
Olds & Reeder, Charles O. Waters, Wm.
H. Blayds, J. Koon, J. Budden
R.P. Lowe, Wm. G. Woodward, Jacob
Butler, J. Scott Richman, A. McAully, Stephen Whicher, S. C.
Hastings, Jno. L. Cummins, Jno. A. Stephenson.
Mechanics and Carpenters
Edward Ballard, J.G.
Hoops, Jno. Sacom, H.J. Reece, Wm. Gordon, Edward Olmstead,
D.C. Cloud, Richard Vadle, L. & H. H. Hine, Geo. and G.
Cabinet Makers -
J. S. Freeman, Ono. Freeman,
Christian Tegel, J. J. Fritton.
Fullington & Warmsley, Joseph Crane,
Geo. Ferry, Benjamin Cullen.
Tin and Coppersmiths-
Thos. Dare, Moore & Ament.
Waterman Bemer, James Buker.
Shoe Makers -
A. Adams, X. Safefer, Jonahan Evry.
Wm. Jones, Killard & Bailey, Sells &
Bartholomew, A. Stewart & Co., A. J. Fimple.
Painters and Glaziers -
Johns & Albee, Moses Couch,
Chair Makers -
Garvin & Horsley, ___ Selby.
Brush Makers -
Saddle and Harness Makers -
Jno. M. Keme, A.
Jackson, James Huff.
Stephen Headly, Daniel Marick,
Stephen Dexter, John Triplet.
Boat Builders -
American House, T.S. Battelle; Iowa
House, James Boorland; City Hotel, S.M. Rowell; "Capt. Jim's,"
Iowa Saloon, Hoit; Bloomington
Coffee House, D.E. Ball.
One Masonic Lodge, one Odd Fellows Lodge.
One Congregational, 1 Presbyterian, 1
Baptist, 1 Methodist, 1 Episcopalian, 1 Catholic.
Printing Office.- Bloomington
Herald, published every Saturday; M.T. Emerson, Editor.
Select School.- Miss Sherrer, Preceptress.
Horticulture.- Commercial Gardens.- James
This establishment embraces about one thousand varieties
of the choicest fruits, selected from the best nurseries in
the Union. It is destined ere long to rank among the first
establishments in the country. It already contains 1000,000
trees, besides a great variety of grapes, &c., &c.
Corporation of Bloomington.- Chas. Evans,
President; Wm. Leffingwell, A.J. Fimple, J.M. Keme, Trustees;
Jno. Silly, Recorder; W. Sarvin, Collector and Marshal. R.
Warren, Street Engineer.
Magistrates.- T.S. Parvin, D.C. Cloud, Thos.
United States Officers Resident in Bloomington.-
Joseph Williams, Judge of the 2d Judicial District and
Associate Judge of the Supreme Court.
The seat of justice for Scott county, is situated nearly
opposite the lower end of Rock Island upon a beautiful plain;
with a range of large sloping hills upon its western border.
It is about 330 miles above St. Louis, 80 miles above
Burlington, and 90 below Dubuque. The country in the
neighborhood of Davenport, has universally attracted the
attention of all travellers, and has often elicited the muse
of both the poet and painter. Perhaps a few spots in our
country present a happier combination of rare and attractive
beauty than is witnessed in the vicinity of Rock Island. I
have approached this point from all its bearings, and whether
viewed from river or bluff, it is like a beauteous picture,
varied in all its lights and shades.
A correspondent of a New York paper- a gentleman of much
taste and extensive observation-thus speaks of this
"The country around Rock Island is, in our opinion is the
most charming that the eye ever beheld. Rock Island is, of
itself, one of the greatest natural beauties on the
Mississippi. The "old fort" not to speak of its military
associations, in in truth, an object on which the eye delights
to dwell. The flourishing town of Stephenson, near the
Illinois shore, adds greatly to the attractions of the scene;
and Davenport, with its extended plains, its sloping lawns,
and wooded bluffs, completes one of the most perfect pictures
that ever delighted the eyes of man."
Mr. Atwater thus describes this country, in his tour in
1829, being then in a state of nature:
"About thirty miles below Rock Island, the beautiful
country on the west side of the river opened to view, and from
the first moment we saw it, all eyes were turned towards it.
At every turn of the river, as we moved along, new bursts of
wonder and admiration were poured out by all the passengers.
The ladies were enraptured at the numerous and beautiful
situations for dwelling houses, where they pictured a life of
Nature had done all; man nothing; and not a human being
was seen upon either shore, nor a human habitation. That such
a beautiful country was intended by its Author to be forever
in the possession and occupancy of wild fowls, wild beasts,
and savages, who derive little benefit from it, no reasonable
man can for one moment believe, who sees it. * * * * * We
could hardly persuade ourselves, many times, when we first saw
any one of these beautiful spots, that all the art that man
possessed, and wealth could employ, had not been used to fit
the place for some gentleman's country seat; and every moment,
as we passed along, we were ready to look for some princely
mansion, erected on the rising eminences."
The location of Davenport may be regarded, as decidedly
healthy. Its position near the foot of the rapids, will cause
it to become a place of commercial importance. Water power,
building stone, and bituminous coals are convenient, and a
sufficiency of timber to be found upon the bluffs and
Dealers in Dry Goods, Groceries,
Hardware, &c.-Burrows and Prettyman, Inslee
& Owens, H. Price, C.S. Whilsler, Fulton & Co., G.L. Davenport
& Co., L.A.
Macklot, G. McKnown.
Druggists. - B. Sanford, Charles Leslie.
Lawyers.- J. Grant, E. Cook, G.C.R. Mitchell, J.
Doctors.-J.M. Witherward, J. Price, E.S. Burrows.
Principal Mechanics.-J. & S.P. Jenny, J. Hall, W.S.
Collins, S.F. Whiting,
Blacksmiths.-J. Lewis, Jno. Becktel.
Cabinet Making and Furniture.-J. Pope., S.
Harness Maker.-S. Lindley
Printing Office.-Davenport Gazette, published
every Thursday; Alfred
Congregationalist; Pastor, Rev. E. Adams.
Methodist; Pastor Rev. J. Brooks.
Episcopal; Pastor Rev. Mr. Goldsmith
Baptist; Pastor Rev. B.F. Brabrook.
Presbyterian; Pastor Rev. Mr. ----
Catholic; Pastor Rev. Mr. Pelamorquer.
Disciples; Pastor Rev. J. Rumbold.
Schools.-Among the principal schools are those
kept by J. Thorington, Esq.,
Miss Mary A. Bergin, and Mrs. Bryson. The Congregationalist
Society is about
erecting an institution of higher learning in Davenport.
An extensive steam mill is in progress of erection by Mr.
[The Seat of Justice of Van Buren County.]
KEOSAUQUA DIRECTORY- 1846
Dry Goods, Groceries, Hardware, &c.-
Manning & Wasky, B.P. Marlow & Co., John Carnes, A.J. Davis,
Druggists- Henry Whelin, Benjamin Barker.
Physicians- F.W. Taylor, C.H. Ober, H.H. Barker,
John D. Elbert, D. Peck, J. Tarbell.
Lawyers- James B. Howell, H. M. Shelby, George G.
Wright, J.C. Knapp, S.E. Seargent, Richard Humphreys, Augustus
C. Hall, S.W. Summers, J.D. Devine.
Carpenters- Jamison & Gilchrist, Walker & Hartzell,
____ & Jamison, Dugen & Servicer.
Cabinet Makers.- Ruble & Thornburg, Greene B.
Morton, Russo King.
Coopers- E.F. Burton, ___Anderson.
Tailoring Establishments.- J. Kinnersly, Robert
Shoemakers.- William Hoker, A.B. Moore.
Jewelry.- E.J. Harper.
Blacksmiths.- Hinkle & McCrary, Richard Benjamin.
Saddle and Harness Makers.- George W. Games,
Wagon Makers.- Benson Hinkle, Philip Hartzell.
Brick Masons- Jesse Winn, B.F. Pearson
Bakery- E.F. Burton.
Tanneries.- C. Baldwin & Co., G.W. Games, _____
Groceries & Coffee Houses.- Julian & Billops,
Griffiths & Livingston, David & Pease.
Mills. - Steam Flouring and Saw Mill, G.W. Games;
Steam Flouring and Saw Mill, Hugh Brown;
Steam Flouring and Saw Mill, D. Magwire.
Printing Offices.- "Des Moines Valley Whig;"
published by Howell & Cowles, editors and proprietors. "Iowa
Democrat;" published every Friday by J. & J.M. Shepherd,
editors and proprietors.
Lodges- Keosauqua Lodge, No. 10; Free and Accepted
Keosauqua Lodge, No. 3; I. O. of Odd
Keosauqua Lodge, No. 1; Iowa Hunters.
Hotels.- Keosauqua Hotel, J. Bruyet; Des Moines
Houes, _____ Clymer.
Churches.- Methodist, Congregational and several
[Seat of Justice of Henry County.]
MOUNT PLEASANT DIRECTORY-1846.
John K. Randolph, P. & A. Saunders, D.
Gilchrist and Co., E.S. Hill, A. McKinney, H. Ray.
Druggists- B.F. Stephenson, Dr. Davis.
Saddlers- Edward Trine, J.D. Waugh.
Tinners- J. & W. Craig.
Tailors- Douglass & Rogers, John Eshelman, J.
Cabinet Shops- Reuben Allen, E.D. Young
Blacksmiths.-Rucker & Gass, Jno. Campbell, Jacob
Wagon Shop- Pixley & Thomas.
Plough Manufactory- Mr. Buckley.
Gun Smith-Mr. Hixon.
3 Shoe Manufactories; 4 Carpenters' Shops; 1 Turner; 1
Lawyers- Wm. Thompson, John T. Morton, Wm. H.
Wallace, Franklin Street, A. Lotspeich.
Physicians- Dr. Darling, J.H. Temple, Chas. S.
Clark, J.D. Payne, G.W. Snyder, Dr. Farriss, Dr. Harper.
Magistrates- P.C. Tiffany, A. McKinney.
Post Master- John S. Bartruff.
Hotels- Henry House, P.C. Tiffany; Mount Pleasant
House, J. Bowman.
Churches.- Methodist Episcopal, Pastor, Rev. Mr.
Simpson; Baptists, Rev. Mr. Burnett; Christian, _______;
Presbyterian, _______; Congregational, ______.
Lodges- Mount Pleasant (Masonic Lodge), No. 8.
Schools- "Mount Pleasant High School" and Female
Seminary, Samuel L. How, Principal; 120 Students.
Select School.- By Miss Huestis and Miss Mary Jane
Mount Pleasant Collegiate Institute.- This
Institution, chartered by the Legislature of Iowa, is in a
flourishing condition; endowed with Professors in Natural and
Moral Philosophy, Literature, Languages, &c. The buildings are
spacious and convenient, affording every facility for the
accommodation of youth. Rev. A.J. Huestis, Pres.
County Officers- District Prosecutor, Wm. Thomson;
Sheriff, Samuel Smith; Clerk of the District Court, E.
Kilpatrick; Judge of Probate, A. McKenny; Recorder, John P.
Grantham; Coroner, Moses Beers; Treasurer, Wm. S. Viney;
County Surveyor, H.H. McMillan.
[Seat of Justice of Jefferson County.]
FAIRFIELD DIRECTORY- 1846
Dealers in Dry Goods, Groceries,
Hardware, &c.- Sample & Manning, Wm. I. Cooper & Co., C.S.
Schaeffer and Co., J.W. Taylor & Co., J.L. Myers & Co.,
Richard Irwin, Wm. Alston, G.W. Markle, Wm. Pritt, G.W.
Druggist-Daniel V. Cole.
Watchmaker and Silversmith-E.J. Harper
Tailors-Winner & Ogden, Wm. A. Hendricks, Ultz and
Saddlers-Wm. A. McKimmy & Co., Adam H. Weir.
Boot & Shoe Makers- John S. Berg, ___ Johnson.
Cabinet Makers- Gossage, Elliott & Co., S.G.
Finney, W. Bartholomew.
Carpenters-Thorne & Crain, Robert Hill, William
Kittle, J. Cunningham.
Carriage and Wagon Manufactory- Shamp & McComb.
Blacksmiths.- C.C. Van & Co., Baker Brothers, J.
Chair Factory-Jenkins & Knight.
Sign and Ornamental Painting.- Anson Ford.
Carding and Cloth Dressing Establishment.-
Millikin, White & Co.
Mills in the vicinity of Fairfield.
||Saw or Grist
||On Cedar Creek
||On Cedar Creek
||Saw and Grist
|Pitkin & Junkin
||On Cedar Creek
||On Skunk River
||Saw and Grist
||On Cedar Creek
Hotels- National, kept by Samuel Shuffleton;
Eagle, Mrs. Beck
- Old School Presbyterian; Pastor, Rev. L.G.
Congregational; Pastor Rev. Wm. A. Thompson.
Methodist Episcopal; Pastor Rev. Mr. Reeder.
Schools- There are two day schools; one kept by R.W. Steele, and one by Mr. Bright.
Postmaster.- Ebenezer S. Gage.
Lawyers- Samuel Shuffleton, Thomas H. Gray, Slagle
and Acheson, C. Baldwin, Wm. H. Lyons, Cyrus Olney, Wm. E.
Groff, J.B. Teas, Ezra Drown, Charles Negus.
Doctors- J.C. Wear, J.S. Moberly, Wm. L. Orr, __
Justices of the Peace- Samuel G. Finney, Wm. E.
Notaries Public - Wm. H. Lyons, Robert Brown.
Is rapidly assuming an important position
among the commercial towns of Iowa. Its situation, at the foot
of the Des Moines Rapids, and near the confluence of the Des
Moines and Mississippi rivers, renders it the natural
depository for the surplus produce of one of the most
luxurious portions of the Mississippi Valley. Unless the
obstructions of the Upper Mississippi Valley are speedily
removed, it requires no gift of prophecy to foretell the rapid
and certain destiny of Keokuk. It already contains some eight
or ten mercantile establishments; various mechanics; supports
a weekly newspaper; and contains a population of about 1100
KEOKUK DIRECTORY - 1846
Mercantile Establishments.- Chttenden & McGavic, R.B. Hughes & Co., J.M. Chapman & Co., A.
Hine, Patterson & Roberts, Layman & Johnson, James Death,
Drug Store.-T. Daviss.
Printing Office.- "The Iowa Argus," published
weekly; Wm. Pattee, editor and proprietor.
Previous Pages |