Hardin County Historical Society
1603 Washington St.
P. O. Box 187
Eldora, IA 50627
Gene Farmer, curator
Open to public on the second Sunday of each
May through October from 1 - 4:30 p.m.
or by special appointment
From the Hardin County Historical Society Historical House brochure:
The purpose of the Hardin County Historical Society is to promote interest in the history of Hardin County; and to collect, preserve and collate items of historical significance from the area. Further: (1) to maintain the organization to carry out the aforesaid; (2) to promote membership and activities to further its programs; (3) to culticate interest by all residents and friends in collecting and preserving worthwhile historic items; (4) to index all donations, documents, books, records, pictures, furniture and appropriate memorabilia; and (5) encourage the writing and filing of biographies, genealogies and presentation of monthly programs.
Membership in the society is open to all persons who have an interest in and a desire to contribute to the maintenance, growth, and development of the organization and its activities.
Meetings are held monthly on the second Monday at the Historical House. The board of directors meet at 7 p.m., followed by the general meeting, open to all members and the public, at 8 p.m. The annual business meeting, during which officers are elected, is held in January.
The monthly newsletter, "The Hitching Post", relates the monthly meeting place and program topic. Bits of historic news or past events are included.
The 1883 and 1911 Histories of Hardin county have been reprinted and are now out of print. The 1981 History of Hardin county has been printed and copies are still available. Note cards and drawings suitable for framing, are also available.
The Hardin County Historical House was built in 1891 as a residence by the widow of Lyman Wisner (Julia), a wealthy land owner in Hardin County. In 1893 she died, leaving her property to her housekeeper, Kate Robertson. Miss Robertson sold the house on Aug. 24, 1893 to C. E. Albrook. C. E. Albrook then sold the house to E. H. Lundy on July 19, 1912. E. H. Lundy sold back to C. E. Albrook on March 15, 1913 and C. E. Albrook to A. M. Cloud on July 15, 1914. A. M. Cloud sold the house on July 28, 1924 to Dan W. Turner, distinguished Civil War veteran, and a stockholder of The Farmer's Exchange Bank of Steamboat Rock. Mr. Turner moved from Steamboat Rock into the house with his son Harry and daughter Nellie. After the death of the elder Turner on Sept. 7, 1932, the house became the property of Harry H. Turner and wife. On July 19, 1933, Turner sold the house to Nellie A. Turner who later married Charles Speers, a local merchant. After the death of Charles Speers, Nellie continued to reside in the house with her housekeeper until her death on Nov. 5, 1972 at the age of 95 yrs. Following the death of Nellie, the Hardin County Historical Society purchased the property through public donations in December, 1972. Several improvements have been made to the property. The Carriage House, which is located on the same grounds as the Historical House, was restored in 1985. It is open for viewing during all open house events.
Hardin County IAGenWeb