L. L. BausmanPLEASANT VALLEY TOWNSHIP
Among the early settlers of this township were John Elliott, who lived on the NW 1/4 of Sec. 12; Charles Kincaid and son, Charles H., on SW 1/4 of Sec. 30; Lewellen House, NE 1/4 of 8; A. B. Holmes, SE 1/4 Sec. 16; Wiard Boomgaarden, SE 1/4 Sec. 16; and Frank S. and Irving W. Tewksbury, on NE 1/4 of Sec. 11. The first general election was held Oct. 9th, 1866, at which nine ballots were cast. This election was held in the Buck Grove schoolhouse. John Martin, John Getting, Mathias Benz, Jacob Kunz, R. T. Schenck, O. P. Filer, Winfield S. and Geo. Billings, and Ontje Knock came in '69. In 1870 the Galpin brothers, Francis E., W. C., Eugene S. and Edward L. arrived from Baileyville, Ill., and were prominent in the township for many years. Francis E., the last of these brothers, died Feb. 11, 1911.
One thousand Indians camped in Buck's Grove during the winter of '65 and 66, but they did not molest the few settlers in the neighborhood.
--The Grundy Register (Grundy Center, Iowa), 15 May 1924, pg 3