First Baptist Church of Grundy Center

The Baptist church was organized in 1868 with Rev. A. Carpenter as pastor, he having under his charge at the beginning but thirteen members. But with this small flock he labored earnestly for nine years and succeeded in laying the foundation of a permanent religious organization. The building in which they now worship was built in 1876 and has continually been supplied with a pastor. In 1893 the membership had increased to one hundred and sixteen with a Sunday school enrollment of 190, and an average attendance of 130. The Young People's Union, the Ladies' Aid society, and other organizations of the church, are in a thoroughly prosperous condition and have done efficient service, and by their united efforts have greatly lightened the burdens bourne upon the shoulders of their pastor. They have raised and sent to mission fields large sums of money to aid in carrying on the work there. The present pastor, Rev. Allen, has but recently taken charge, and though his face is not familiar to many his pastorate elsewhere has well fitted him for the work he has to do. Mr. Ricker is the efficient Sunday school superintendent.
--Religious Department column by Lillian Kerr

--The Grundy Republican (Grundy Center, Iowa), 19 September 1895

Grundy Center Baptist Church

by Rev. J. C. Curry

During the decade, 1860-1870, and the Civil War in progress and completion, and the hard times immediately following, the Methodist Episcopal Church, as is its custom, maintained regular religious preaching service at this place every alternate Sabbath. In 1867, the people from other states began to settle near here and it was thought by many that conditions demanded that we should have preaching every Sunday, and it was suggested to the delegates for the class or church here to the Annual Conference of the Methodist Church that they should insist upon the program. On their return home they reported that their petition would not be granted, and a conference of the few Baptists here was called and it was decided to endeavor to occupy the alternate Sabbath when no service had been held. Rev. A. Carpenter of Xeina, now Secor, was invited to come here, look over the ground and decide what should and could be done. The result was that he was engaged to supply the church or what might become a church, for half of the time at $300.00 per year beginning late in the fall of 1867.

May 16, 1868, another conference of those interested in the formation of a regular Baptist Church met at the school house and decided to organize a Baptist Church. Present with their letters were Brothers A. C. Brockway, Edward Bly, Nathan Smith and A. F. Willoughby and Sisters Lydia Bly, Ella Bly and Clarissa Smith; Rev. Carpenter Moderator; officers elected were Edward Bly and Nathan Smith, Deacons and A. F. Willoughby, Clerk and Treasurer. A Recognition Council was called to consist of delegates from neighboring churches which met on June 12, 1868, at which time Rev. B. C. Willoughby of Randolph, N. Y., preached the recognition sermon; Rev. Orcutt offered the prayer of recognition; Deacon S. Day extended the hand of fellowship and Rev. E. G. O. Groat delivered the charge to the church. Prior to the meeting of the council, Mrs. Wilbur (nee Lowe), Mrs. Rae (nee Raymond), Mrs. Storer (nee Whaylen), Mrs. Brockway and Mrs. A. F. Willoughby were received as members. A parsonage was built about the year 1870, where the present parsonage stands, and the first church was built in 1875. This church was occupied until 1901. In 1902 a new church building was dedicated, costing about $16,000.00. In 1909 a new parsonage was built costing about $2,500.00.

Names of pastors: Rev. A. Carpenter-1867 to 1876; Rev. D. B. Miller-Dec. 2, 1876, to April 3, 1877; Rev. S. H. Mitchell-June 1, 1877, to October 1, 1882; Rev. Thos. Anderson-October 1, 1882, to April 1, 1886; Rev. J. L. Barlow-February 5, 1887, to April 9, 1888; Rev. F. M. Archer-June 1, 1888, to May 1, 1892; Rev. J. W. Allen-May 1, 1892, to May 1, 1893; Rev. Geo. E. Morphy-June 18, 1893, to June 22, 1895; Rev. W. F. Allen-one year; Rev. C. H. Marsh-1896 to 1903; Rev. D. McMasters-March 1, 1903, to March 31, 1905; Rev. H. W. Pilot-June 1, 1905, to March 28, 1907; Rev. H. P. Chaffee-May 18, 1907, to January 1, 1910; Rev. J. C. Curry-February 1, 1910.

Deacons: Edward Bly-died at Oaks, N. D., May 16, 1868; Nathan Smith-died at McGregor, Minn., July 3, 1906; Morris Merritt-October 28, 1882; H. J. Humphrey-February 5, 1887; letter to Lincoln, Neb.; George Rea-November 1, 1890; died at Mt. Carroll, Ill.; J. H. Sperry-November 1, 1890; E. W. Ellis; E. G. Ensminger-October 28, 1903; C. F. Ricker-November 2, 1895; letter to Grinnell, Iowa; C. H. Baldwin-October 15, 1907.

--Atlas of Grundy County, 1911, pg 92

First Baptist Church, Grundy Center, Iowa

Dedicated Sunday, January 19, 1919

After a year and one month almost to the day, (as dedication Sunday was the 19th, and it was December 20th, 1917, the former church was destroyed by fire), the Baptist people enjoy the privilege of worshiping in their own building.

As soon as the quarantine was lifted and getting into touch with those who were to assist in the dedication, Sunday, January 19th, 1919, was the day decided upon to dedicate the new building. From the hour the date was settled upon all church activities were centered on dedication Sunday with the result that on Saturday evening everything was in readiness with the weather man promising us fine weather for Sunday.

The promise was more than made good as the day was more like an April day than the middle of January. As early in the morning as he could show himself the sun was out shining in all the radiant splendor of a springtime morning, and as the day drew apace the temperature being such that men were coming to church without their overcoats.

Beautiful as the day was in regard to sunshine there was equally as great beauty and warmth radiating in all the services held throughout the day in the beautiful new structure.

The Rev. John Earl, President of Des Moines College, was the preacher chosen for the dedicatory sermon. Dr. Earl took for his text these words "What mean ye by these stones," found in Josh. 1:6.

In a brief introduction he stated that the pile of stones as placed in the court house stood for organized government, as in the school building for organized education, in homes organized society, in a church building organized religion. We can only give a brief outline of the sermon.

His sermon proper was divided into the following divisions and sub-divisions:
1. Conservation of Life's highest values. Church's work not the business of law, not the business of education, not the business of organized society, business of the church the religion of Jesus, and the religion of Jesus expressed in the highest value is character, the church's work primarily the building of character, no matter what church, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Jew or Catholic.
2. Expression of Life's richest experiences. Which are Communion with God, Fellowship with Christian people.
3. Consecration to superlative service. 1. Missionary service; 2. Human service; 3. Spiritual service.

Dr. Earl is a forceful and inspiring speaker easily holding the attention of his large audience from the first.

At the close of Dr. Earl's sermon, H. A. Willoughby, Secretary of the Building Committee, was asked to give a report of the expenditures for the building. His report was as follows: Insurance on the old building was $8000; $17,799.32 was pledged previous to last Sunday, leaving a balance needed Sunday morning to dedicate free of debt, $14,324.00. After the reading of the report the task of raising this large amount was begun. To many it looked like an undertaking almost impossible, but in a little less than half an hour $13,811 was pledged by the church and outsiders pledged $500.00, bringing the total up to $40,110.32, or about twenty-five dollars to spare.

After the raising of the money a brief dedicatory service was conducted by the pastor, the Rev. S. E. Wilcox, of Des Moines, offering the dedicatory prayer. Thus was dedicated to the worship of God and the service of humanity one of the most beautiful and complete church buildings in this part of the state.

At the afternoon service Rev. J. B. Smith of Waterloo was to be the preacher, but the condition of the roads made it impossible for him to get here. While we were greatly disappointed in not having Dr. Smith with us, we had with us a man who willingly and ably took his place upon the program. The man who so kindly did this was Rev. S. E. Wilcox, Budget Secretary for State Convention. Dr. Wilcox's theme was "World Dominion of Jesus." The Dr. was evidently at his best, giving a most inspiring address and one that will be long remembered by his audience.

In the evening another inspiring audience greeted Dr. Earl. The building was not quite filled, however. Five hundred and eight people were there to listen to one of the greatest sermons ever delivered in the city, several remarking at the conclusion of the service that it was the greatest sermon that they had ever heard. Dr. Earl took for his text Mark 16:15-16, his theme being "The Program of Jesus." The following are the divisions of the sermon:
1. The Breadth of the Program.
2. The Balance of the Program.
3. The Basis of the Program.

No one who listened to this, the last message of the day, but was impressed with the greatness of the program of Christ, and how it was being carried to completion. The preacher not alone gave us Christ's program but His program for individual lives, many going away from the building not only determined to assist the Master in the carrying out of His program in the world, but resolved that their own lives would be more in harmony with His program.

This was one of, if not the greatest days in the history of this church, a day that will not readily be forgotten by any in attendance and one long cherished in the hearts of the members of the church. They had been homeless for a long period, while having a splendid place to meet for service, yet it was not home and Sunday will be remembered not only for sermons preached but for the coming into the new and beautiful home.

No little success of Sunday's services was due to the music furnished at all of the services throughout the day. The time for preparation was brief and a busy one, yet in face of these difficulties those taking part and those in charge of the music for the day gave us a splendid program which added materially to the worship and inspiration of all.

The Building
The building is 60x90 over all, being built of Capital City pressed brick, the trade name of which is Full Range Artistco. Of colonial type, facing the east with four large pillars supporting the entrance.

The basement is the full size of the building containing the boiler room, cistern, kitchen and dining room. The boiler room is located in the southwest corner of the basement and is thoroughly fire proof, being enclosed in a cement walled room with a heavy slab of concrete over it. The coal cellar is outside of the building, making the building practically fire proof.

At the south end of the basement there is an elevated platform from which programs, speeches or the like can be given, this part of the building is also used for the primary department of the Sunday school. There is a heavy rolling curtain that shuts off the raised platform and also curtains separating that part into the three class rooms, there is also the same arrangement at the north end. Tables and chairs have also been provided for each of the classes of the little tots. In the northwest corner is a cloak room with a dutch door attachment making the room convenient for checking purposes in case of a convention or other meetings of such nature in the church. The cradle roll department of the Sunday school will use this room for school purposes, this room being complete with sand tables, etc. Adjoining this room to the south are the pantry and refrigerator rooms.

South of this and along the west side is the kitchen with as complete an outfit as the ladies could find. It contains a cafeteria steam table, serving tables, a sink with city water; also hot and cold water from the cistern, stoves for cooking purposes, the Standard Oil people donating one of them. All along the wall dividing kitchen from dining room are the cupboards and drawers, making one of the best equipped kitchens in the state.

The Main Floor
At the main entrance on the east side you may enter through any of the three double doors that consists of clear glass into a beautiful vestibule with three more double doors that are exactly opposite the outer ones, through which you enter the auditorium, which has a seating capacity including gallery of 600. The main auditorium faces the southwest with the pulpit in the southwest corner, the seating arrangements being corner-wise of the room. The pipe organ (when placed) and the baptistry are immediately behind the pulpit, the choir loft is along the west wall to the left of the pulpit.

At the north of the auditorium is the prayer meeting or Men's Bible class room being separated from the auditorium with a Wilson rolling partition. In the northwest corner of this floor is the pastor's study being as beautiful a room as any pastor could desire.

Just south of the pulpit is the Sunday school secretary's platform, with cupboard for supplies, bulletin board, and call bell system, making it possible for the secretary to sit at his desk and call each class and department of the school.

At the south of the auditorium there are four class rooms separated from auditorium with velvet draperies and from each other with rolling curtains. In the southwest corner of the main floor there are three dressing rooms, two entrances to baptistry, entrance to basement; also entrance to choir loft and music room on the second floor.

Running around the auditorium on the south, east and north sides are balconies each with its own exit. The north balcony contains the Ladies' Aid rooms and is separate from the main room. They have two beautiful rooms here where they may have their society and other such meetings as they desire.

At the east is the main balcony equipped with pews which will be used chiefly for church service. The south balcony has four class rooms separated as those on main floor with rolling curtains. In the southwest corner adjoining class rooms of the south balcony is a choir or music room equipped with music and cloak closets with a stairway to choir platform in main auditorium. Off this room is the organ loft which can be used as a class room.

The interior finishings are in dark oak with furniture to match, the floor being birch, with rostrum and choir platform having a green plush carpet, with rubber matting in the aisles.

The windows are art glass practically all of them being memorial windows. The building is flat roof type with a sky light over auditorium and choir loft. The ceiling is beam work, finished of course, as the other wood work in dark oak; this with glazed glass in the sky light making a beautiful effect.

The lighting was installed by the Grundy Center Electric Company. We are informed that this is the most modernly wired church building in the state. The wiring is the alternating current or three wire system. The lights are nitrogened silled sorsted bowl. The chandeliers of which there are four in the main room, are of art glass giving not only a beautiful light but fitting in harmoniously with the beam work of the ceiling.

The heating plant was put in by Pettit & Morrison of this city. It is the straight steam system, the "Ideal" down draft boiler furnishing the steam. There is a connection with the city heating plant for the purpose of heating the prayer meeting room and pastor's study when the boiler is not fired up. There is also a special boiler for heating the baptistry and for hot water in the kitchen during the summer months making it unnecessary to fire the main boiler.

The contract for this building was let to the Standard Construction Company of Minneapolis, February 22, 1918, less than two months from the time of the fire, and had it not been for the "Flu" we would have been into it, inside of the year.

To the building committee, the Church, at its annual meeting, Jan. 1, 1918, placed the entire work, the choice of the style of building, letting of contract and completion of work. To this committee too much credit cannot be given for their efforts. They have given time, labor and ability in a time when time and labor was very precious; all of them were busy business men giving of their time and labor without stinting. The following are the building committee: W. H. Scott, Chairman; H. A. Willoughby, Secretary; W. D. Wilson, E. S. King, Dr. W. R. Lynn, L. W. Plager, A. A. Merritt.

The Ladies' Aid Society have furnished their own two rooms, such furnishings consisting of two beautiful rugs, library table, several rockers, settee and davenport. They have also furnished the pastor's study with desk, chairs and rug; in the main room they have placed the piano, layed the carpet and rubber matting and purchased the draperies for the class rooms and baptistry, the movable equipment of the kitchen, this representing over $1500.00 and with $500.00 given in money at the beginning of the building and a $1000.00 on dedication day they surely have done their bit.

History of the Church
In 1867 a conference of what few Baptists were here was called and it was decided to endeavor to have service every alternate Sabbath, Rev. A. Carpenter, of Xeina, now Secor, was invited to come here to look over the situation and decide what should be done. The result was that he was engaged to supply the church or what might become a church for half time.

May 16th, 1868, a second conference was held of those interested in the formation of a Baptist church. They met at the school house and decided to organize a Baptist church. Present with their letters were A. C. Brockway, Edward Bly, Nathan Smith and A. F. Willoughby, Lydia Bly, Ella Bly, Clarissa Smith. Rev. A. Carpenter was moderator of this conference. Officers elected were Edward Bly and Nathan Smith, Deacons and A. F. Willoughby, Clerk and Treasurer.

A recognition council was called consisting of delegates from neighboring churches which met on June 12, 1868, at which Rev. B. C. Willoughby, of Randolph, N.Y., preached the recognition sermon, Rev. Orcutt, offered the prayer of recognition; Deacon S. Day extended the hand of fellowship and Rev. E. G. Groat delivered the charge to the church. Previous to the recognition service proper the following members were received: Mrs. Wilbur, Mrs. Rea, Mrs. Storer, Mrs. A. C. Brockway and Mrs. A. F. Willoughby.

The first church building was built in 1875, this building being occupied until 1901, and is now the property of the German Presbyterian church. In 1901 and 1902, the building destroyed by fire, was erected costing about $16,000. This building was dedicated Sunday, August 24th, 1902, Dr. Myron Haynes of Chicago preaching the dedicatory sermon. Rev. C. H. Marsh was the pastor and the building committee were H. M. Bigelow, E. W. Ellis, James T. Wilson, N. J. Burke and G. W. Thorndike.

The first parsonage was built in 1870 where the present parsonage now stands; in 1909 the present parsonage was built.

Of the charter members three are still living; Mr. and Mrs. A. F. Willoughby of this city and Mrs. Wlibur of Palacious, Texas.

Members continuously for over fifty years is a splendid record, and no people have the love and respect of the church today more than Mr. and Mrs. A. F. Willoughby. On account of infirmities due to age they cannot be as active as during the early life of the church, but their prayers and love are still efficacious and their mantle is indeed falling upon true and loyal shoulders.

The following are the pastors who have served the church: Rev. A. Carpenter, 1867-1876; Rev. D. B. Miller, 1876-1877; Rev. S. H. Mitchell, 1877-1882; Rev. Thos. Anderson 1882-1886; Rev. J. L. Barlow, 1887-1888, Rev. F. M. Archer, 1888-1892; Rev. J. W. Allen, 1892-1893; Rev. Geo. E. Morphy, 1893-1895; Rev. W. F. Allen, 1895-1896; Rev. C. H. March, 1896-1903; Rev. D. McMasters, 1903-1905; Rev. H. W. Pilot, 1905-1907; Rev. H. P. Chaffee, 1907-1910 and Rev. J. C. Curry since 1910.

The following deacons have served the church: Edward Bly, Nathan Smith, Morris Merritt, H. J. Humphrey, George Rea, J. H. Sperry, E. W. Ellis, E. G. Ensminger, C. F. Ricker, C. H. Baldwin, A. A. Merritt and N. C. Rew.

--The Grundy Republican (Grundy Center, Iowa), 23 January 1919, pg 1, 8

Congregation Of Grundy Center's First Baptist Church To Observe 100th Anniversary Next Week

(Editor's Note: The congregation of the First Baptist Church of Grundy Center will celebrate next week the 100th anniversary of the church's founding. The following article tells the story of how this church, one of the first in Grundy Center, was organized, plus other highlights of the church's 100-year history).

At the close of the Civil War, Grundy County was a vast, rolling prairie with lines of trees following the watercourses, and a few settlers' homes built in the groves of trees along the streams.

In the town of Grundy Center there was a courthouse, a school, and a few houses and stores. The community was known simply as "Center."

In the community were a number of Baptists who had moved from other states. Desiring services and also a future organized church of their own denomination, these Baptists conferred as to the feasibility of conducting Baptist services on alternate Sundays when no other services were being held.

This meeting resulted in the group's engaging Rev. Carpenter to supply the potential church on a half-time basis for Three Hundred Dollars ($300.00) annually. Baptist services began late in the fall of 1867.

On May 16, 1868, these Baptists and all interested Baptists held a second conference at the school house to consider the matter of organizing a regular Baptist Church. At this organizational meeting the group adopted the New Hampshire Confession of Faith and the Church Covenant of the Baptist Church Manual. Their present Convenant is identical to that first adopted Covenant.

A Recognition Council meeting was called on Friday, June 12, 1868, in the Courthouse. The Council also met on Saturday morning and afternoon of June 13, 1868. The official recognition service was conducted on Sunday morning, June 14, 1868, with the Rev. Bliss C. Willoughby of the State of New York preaching the recognition sermon.

The first church building, a white frame structure with stained glass windows, was erected in 1875. The glass in the windows cost 75 cents per square foot. This building faced north.

The dedication for the new House of Worship was held on Sunday, December 5, 1875, with a "crowded house." Prior to the dedication, $1300.00 was raised, and, based on subscriptions, the building was declared dedicated free of debt.

The Baptistry was not installed until two years later--1877. Prior to this time, the Baptisms were conducted in one of three places--in the Black Hawk Creek east of Grundy Center, in the "stream south of here," or at "Fifteen-Mile Grove."

During the early days of the Church, raising enough money to meet the indebtedness was difficult, and the greatest financial concern was the Pastor's salary.

When money was needed to meet the financial needs of the first building, a subscription paper was circulated. One Sabbath morning in 1876 each male member was "taxed" one dollar to pay for the coal. Also the "contribution box" was passed around each Sabbath morning to defray the expenses of the Church.

The original white frame church building was later sold to the German Presbyterian Church, now the Bethany Presbyterian Church, and moved to East Main Street in Grundy Center. It burned in 1925.

On August 17, 1902, a new Church was dedicated. It was used as the main gathering place for large meetings of the town and surrounding parts of the County.

On December 20, 1917, the second building of First Baptist Church of Grundy Center was destroyed by fire.

A year and one month after the burning of the church building a new church building had been erected and was in use. The dedication ceremony, however, was delayed, the reason of the flu epidemic of 1918.

In recent years many improvements have been made in the Church building.

The Grundy Center Church organized and supported the Baptist Church of Reinbeck in 1959 and continued this support through 1964, at which time the Reinbeck Church became self-supporting.

In 1962 the First Baptist Church installed the "Dial-A-Devotion." In 1967 Pastor Ford began a 15-minute radio ministry every Sudnay morning over radio station KXEL Waterloo.

Three Mission organizations within the Church are: The Gospelettes, The World Wide Guild, and the Baptist Mission Union. The Baptist Mission Union has three groups meeting for study and prayer. There are four youth groups, the Men's Fellowship, the Boys' Brigade, and Joy Clubs.

An extensive summer camping program is attended throughout the summer months at Clear Lake in fellowship with the Regular Baptist Churches of Iowa. There are at the present time, four members of the Church on duty in the Mission Field--Wyla Weekley, Dorothy Ruppelt, Rachel Schildroth, and Daniel Zimmerman--and several young people attending Bible School.

The Church is in fellowship with the Iowa and General Association of Regular Baptist Churches and is also a member of the Iowa, American, and International Council of Christian Churches.

Twenty-four Pastors have served this Church during its 100 years of existence. The present minister is Pastor J. C. Ford.

The membership is deeply grateful to God for the heritage that is theirs as a Church because the Church has maintained a strong Biblical testimony. Those who, through the years, have been called to be with the Lord have left for the present membership and Pastors true guidelines for God-honoring Christian service. With God's enablement, it is determined that this pattern shall be continued.

Ministers who have served the Lord here:
A. Carpenter1867 - Sept. 30, 1876
D. B. MillerDec. 2, 1876 - April 3, 1877
S. H. MitchellJune 30, 1877 - Oct. 1, 1882
Thomas AndersonOct. 28, 1882 - April 1, 1886
J. L. BarlowFeb. 19, 1887 - April 26, 1888
F. M. ArcherJune 1, 1888 - May 1, 1892
J. W. AllenMay 1, 1892 - May 1, 1893
George E. MorphyJune 1, 1893 - June 1, 1895
W. F. AllenJuly 14, 1895 - Aug 1, 1897
C. H. MarshNov 15, 1897 - Jan 1903
D. McMastersApril 2, 1903 - March 31, 1905
H. William PilotJune 1, 1905 - March 29, 1907
Harold P. ChaffeeMay 19, 1907 - Dec. 31, 1909
J. C. CurryFeb. 6, 1910 - Jan. 25, 1921
David AlexanderApril 1, 1921 - Sept. 12, 1926
Edward CraneSept. 26, 1926 - Jan. 15, 1928
L. P. CasselAug. 15, 1928 - Oct. 27, 1929
Arthur G. AnnetteMarch 1, 1930 - April 25, 1937
David AlexanderJune 1, 1937 - July 31, 1948
J. L. FaceSept. 5, 1948 - May 18, 1952
A. D. MohrNov. 6, 1952 - Feb. 10, 1957
Paul A. HeinigerApril 4, 1957 - Sept. 11, 1960
Calvin RumleyJan. 1, 1961 - Jan. 3, 1965
J. C. FordMay 31, 1965 -

The first First Baptist Church of Grundy Center, a one room building was built in 1875 on the same site where the present First Baptist Church now stands. It was a white frame building with a bell steeple.

The front door which was on the north side of the building, opened into a small vestibule, which was created by a head high partition. The building was heated by means of the two pot-bellied stoves, one on each side of the vestibule.

From the vestibule partition on the north to the rostrum on the south were the pews running east and west, separated at their center by a north-south waist high partition. On each side of the pews was a side aisle.

On a raised platform to the rear of the rostrum, was the space for the choir. The choir members went up the little side approach to the platform. To the rear of the approach was the pump organ. In the same sanctuary, Sunday School was held following Church services, the classes being gathered in separate groups.

The baptistry was a large tank beneath the rostrum. At the time of baptismal service, the section of the rostrum floor was lifted and removed. The candidate went down into the water by means of a small stepladder. When the candidate left the baptistry, an attendant was waiting to put a floor length cape about the shoulders.

The dressing room was an improvised square tent at the southwest end of the rostrum. In winter to take the chill from the water, tongs were provided, to carry slabs of stones, heated red hot in the stove, down the side aisles; these slabs were plunged into the water until sizzling stopped.

A description of the second Church building is as follows:
"The brick building faced north. The main room seated 600. At the north end of the auditorium was a prayer room, separated from the auditorium by folding doors. The pews were of antique oak. The gallery was built on the plan of city opera houses and seated 200. The chairs in the main auditorium were in a semi-circular tier. The floors were slanted so that everyone could see. The rostrum was to the south with the Baptistry behind, with the choir loft a few feet higher, it being large enough to hold a large choir and a pipe organ, which apparently was never installed in that building. There were five Sunday School rooms in the basement, and an assembly room, also dining room and a kitchen.

Description of the Present Church--The main entrance, on the east, is of colonial style. The 3 double doors give entrance to a vestibule. There are 3 doors opposite the outside doors. Seating capacity, including the gallery, is 600. The pulpit is in the southwest corner, with the seating corner-wise of the room. The choir loft is on the west wall, left of the pulpit. North of the auditorium is the prayer meeting room, separated from the auditorium by a Wilson rolling partition. In the northwest corner is the pastor's study. South of the auditorium are 3 rooms. Back of the rostrum are the baptistry and dressing rooms. The gallery runs along the east side with two entrances. There are two rooms on the north in the balcony section. At the south end of the balcony are 4 class rooms.

--The Grundy Register (Grundy Center, Iowa), 6 June 1968

List of Ministers

NameYears Served
Rev. A. Carpenter1867 - 1876
Rev. D. B. Miller2 Dec 1876 - 3 Apr 1877
Rev. S. H. Mitchell1 Jun 1877 - 1 Oct 1882
Rev. Thos. Anderson1 Oct 1882 - 1 Apr 1886
Rev. J. L. Barlow5 Feb 1887 - 9 Apr 1888
Rev. F. M. Archer1 Jun 1888 - 1 May 1892
Rev. J. W. Allen1 May 1892 - 1 May 1893
Rev. Geo. E. Morphy18 Jun 1893 - 22 Jun 1895
Rev. W. F. Allen1895 - 1896
Rev. C. H. Marsh1896 - 1903
Rev. D. McMasters1 Mar 1903 - 31 Mar 1905
Rev. H. W. Pilot1 Jun 1905 - 28 Mar 1907
Rev. H. P. Chaffee18 May 1907 - 1 Jan 1910
Rev. J. C. Curry1 Feb 1910 - 25 Jan 1921
David Alexander1 Apr 1921 - 12 Sep 1926
Edward Crane26 Sep 1926 - 15 Jan 1928
L. P. Cassel15 Aug 1928 - 27 Oct 1929
Arthur G. Annette1 Mar 1930 - 25 Apr 1937
David Alexander1 Jun 1937 - 31 Jul 1948
J. L. Face5 Sep 1948 - 18 May 1952
A. D. Mohr6 Nov 1952 - 10 Feb 1957
Paul A. Heiniger4 Apr 1957 - 11 Sep 1960
Calvin Rumley1 Jan 1961 - 3 Jan 1965
J. C. Ford31 May 1965 - 31 Dec 1975
Rev. Theodore W. Ertle1 May 1976 -