When Requesting a Look-up
Please be as specific as you can when asking for help. If you know of something you would like them to check, they would be glad to help. They cannot do lookups for "all the Smith's" or "the family of John Smith".
Some things to keep in mind:
When asking someone to look up information for you the more info you can give the volunteer the better your chances for results.
- Only ask for information on one or two people at a time. Wait for a response before asking for more.
- Only ask for information from one or two sources at a time -- Please don't ask someone to search all the records at the library for a certain surname.
- There are over 80 cemeteries in Clinton. If you don't know which cemetery your ancestor was buried in, try to narrow it down a bit by town or township. If possible, get an obituary or a copy of the death record first.
Thanks to a wonderful wonderful contributor -- Charlotte :) I have the following books. Email NettieMae for a look-up
- Gazetteer and directory of Clinton county, Iowa, containing a history of the county, and of the cities of Clinton and Lyons ... (1876)
- The Biographical record of Clinton County, Iowa .. (1901)
- The history of Clinton County, Iowa, containing a history of the county, its cities, towns &c., biographical sketches of citizens (1879 This is the LP Allen one)
- Wolfe's history of Clinton County, Iowa (1911) Volumes 1 and 2
Stacie O'Reilly has offered to do looks on her Ancestry.com, Genealogybank as well as her Footnote access.
Look-Ups from the Clinton County Historical Society: They have offered to do look-ups in the resources available at the Historical Society. Jan Hansen is with the Clinton County Historical Society and will do lookups using the information available there.
Ann Soenksen, President Central Community Historical Society, DeWitt, is willing to do look-ups for all kinds of Clinton Co. information.
Richard Carstensen has quite a bit of info on all cemeteries in Clinton County.
Pamela has access to census info at Ancestry.com and has offered to do census lookups.
Elaine Meis (email: EMEIS@aol.com ) has a copy of Who's Who in Iowa 1940, and would be willing to do lookups for people.
The Genealogy Division of the Italian-American
Cultural Center has put all of the American Citizen
Newspapers on CD. The holdings cover the years 1923 through
1972. They would be happy to provide look-ups although the
majority of listings involve Polk county.
Italian-American Cultural Center of Iowa