Waterford Township

The following history is from the Clinton Herald, July 4, 1976:

The township came into existence in April, 1865, and for one month was known as Henry, although the name was changed to Waterford.

Charlotte sprang up around the post office established in 1853 and named for the first postmaster's wife, Charlotte Gilmore.  The town had a meager existence between the Iowa Air Line railroad construction boom in the 1850s and the advent of the Midland Railroad in 1870.  In 1871, however, the town was platted.

(Established Mar 1854 as Henry Township.)

Towns

Brown 18 Jun 1883 - 30 Apr 1915  
Brown's Station 12 Feb 1872 - 18 Jun 1883 Renamed Brown
Charlotte 06 Dec 1837 - Current  
Petersville 28 Jun 1902 - 31 Oct 1935 Formerly Quigley
Quigley 11 Sep 1883 - 28 Jun 1902 Renamed Petersville
Riggs 07 Mar 1872 - 02 Jul 1873 & 11 Mar 1874 - 31 Jan 1907  
Sugar Creek   1840 settlement

Cemeteries

09 Assumption Catholic
10 Hickory Hill
11 McClure
12 Immaculate Conception / Petersville
13 St. Joseph's
35 County Home
   

A Wonderful history of Browns, Sugar Creek and Riggs

Class reunion of Waterford Dist. 6, 1927-1928

Clinton County Poor Farm

St. Joseph's Church Sugar Creek 1855 - 1980 125th Anniversary Book

1925 Atlas of Clinton County Waterford Twp. Farmer's Directory