Grand Mound Elementary School

I would love some pictures - Nettie Mae

Grand Mound is part of the Central Community School District, based in DeWitt. Until 2001, elementary-aged students attended Grand Mound Elementary School with older students being bused to DeWitt. After the closure of Grand Mound (due to declining enrollment and concerns about the building's structural condition), students were bused to elementary schools in Welton and DeWitt; today, all elementary-aged students attend school in DeWitt.

Prior to the formation of the Central Clinton School District, Grand Mound had its own junior-senior high school, which operated in the same school building as the elementary school. Sports teams were known as the Cardinals. The last graduating senior class was in 1961, when Grand Mound—along with the Welton and DeWitt school districts—consolidated to form the Central Community School District.

The Grand Mound Elementary School first opened Aug 2, 1918. W. H. Plymire was Superintendent and Miss Nellie Barry was Principal.

The first school building of District No. 4 was contracted for May 15, 1869. This school was located on block 8, lot 15 and was purchased from Horace Williams who, at one time, owned all of Grand Mound. $100 was paid for the lot which was to be used for school purposes only.

The original builder's contract was made by a Mr. Brown, who agreed to furnish all the material down to the plaster, except rock, and to plan and construct the building for a sum of $742.90.

In 1878, the second school house was erected on the same site for $1500. This building consisted of two stories, one room on the first floor and two on the second floor.

The old building was purchased by the United Presbyterians and moved to the present location of the Methodist church. Mrs. Ed. Grundemier, nee Nell Downs, now of Wheatland, boasts of having ridden in the building while it was being moved.

Few changes were made in the second building until 1900 when the west side addition was constructed. This consisted of an additional room upstairs and down. In 1908 the heating system was changed from long box stoves to a furnace.

The new fire proof building was built on a double terrace in the midst of a beautiful landscaped campus. It was constructed of rug faced bricks and concrete and was a full two stories high with a half basement. There were two large entrances, one on the east and the other on the west, both of which opened into a large hall and lead to the grade rooms.

About 1912 domestic science and manual training were added to the course of study. Additional room was needed so a small two room building was constructed in back of the school house to the north. One room was equipped for cooking and the other for manual training. It was always know as the the manual training building.

The teacher's report filed in the County Superintendent's office at Clinton for 1911-1912 made note that a larger, modern, fireproof building was needed.

Source: Clinton County Historical Society school binders.