county, Iowa, lies in the northwestern part of the
present State of Iowa. It is within the Missouri River Basin and, in
terms of topography and climate, lies in the transition zone between
the woodland prairies and the high plains. The area was acquired from
the Sioux Indians by treaty in 1850.
1851, the Iowa General Assembly created a number of
counties in a newly surveyed North West Iowa. The counties created by
the legislature were given the names of famous men, Indian tribes, and
battles; apparently at the whim of the legislators. Cherokee county was
named for the Cherokee Indiana; who actually lived in the southeastern
U.S., and later in Oklahoma. At that time, there were no permanent
white residents in the county. The county, as created, consisted of 16
congressional townships of 36 sections each - an area of 576 square
miles. For governmental purposes, it was attached to Crawford County.
In 1853, it was attached to Wahkaw (Woodbury) County and was known as
Cherokee Civil Township of Wahkaw County. In 1858, Cherokee County was
officially organized as a county, with a single civil township. Today
the county has 16 townships, which are as follows: Spring, Cedar,
Liberty, Marcus, Amherst, Sheridan, Cherokee Afton, Pitcher, Pilot,
Rock, Tilden, Grand Meadow, Willow, Silver and Diamond.
The principal cities and towns are: Cherokee - the county
seat, Aurelia, Cleghorn. Larrabee, Marcus, Meriden, Quimby and Washta