The town of Wiota, in Franklin township, was started in 1872. F. H. Whitney, owned (and continues to own) the greater portion of the town site. In the year named T. L. Pollard (now deceased) opened a small general store in the place; R. T. Young began buying grain, and T. B. Woodson opened a blacksmith shop. Oll Coomes was the first postmaster; T. L. Pollard was the second; Tom Whitmore the third, and the present P. M. is J. C. Whitmore. Harvey Yeaman opened the second store in 1874. The third stock was was opened by V. M. Lahman in 1875. The first lumber dealer was T. L. Pollard, and the first stock buyers were Woods and Brush.
The following is the present business directory: Bruyn & Lahman, stock dealers; R. T. Young, grain, coal and lumber; Woods & Irvin, grain and coal; V. M. Lahman, general Merchandise; B. Whitmore, general merchandise and drugs; Spurrier & Clure,hardware; T. B. Woodson, and Joseph Kesselring, blacksmiths; J. J.Smith, physician; E. Parsons, hotel keeper.
The Baptists have an organization and expect to build a church sometime in the future.
The Odd Fellows have a lodge, for the officers of which, see page 66. For shipping statistics of the railroad station, see page 95.
Wiota is a thriving place and is destined to be one of the good trading and shipping points of the county.
From the History of Cass County, Iowa Together With Brief Mention of Old Settlers
by Lafe Young, Atlantic, Iowa: Telegraph Steam Printing House, 1877, pp. 110-111.
Transcribed for Cass County by Cheryl Siebrass, July, 2013.