FINAL MENTION OF SETTLERS.
The following will conclude the biographical mention of old settlers. We have now mentioned, in some shape or other, all settlers who located in the county prior to, or during the year, 1858. If any have been omitted the fault rests with themselves, in not furnishing the information, for which we persistently advertised. We could not go after the information -- the task would have been too great; it has been great enough under the plan we did adopt. We have given these biographical sketches, in order that a record might be had of the pioneers of the county -- which record will be more valuable, when a few years have elapsed than now. In connection with almost every personal sketch we have made, will be found some other historical fact or incident connected with the county's settlement.|
J. M. Watson, was one of the pioneer settlers of the county, and should have been mentioned in these sketches earlier. He came here from Ohio, about the year 1853. He had a good reputation in every respect. He was a great hunter, and on January 31st, 1855, while out on the prairie north of Lewis, a few miles, chasing a wolf, on horseback, his horse stumbled and fell throwing Mr. W. violently to the ground, breaking his skull. Not returning home that evening, fears that some accident had befallen him were aroused, and search was made for him. His body was found the next day, cold in death, with his faithful dog by his side. Mr. Watson left three children, who reside in the county, one of whom is Paschal Watson. Eli Watson, brother to J. M. Watson, came to the county with him. Jacob, William, and Jesse Watson, also brothers, did not come to the county until 1854. They all settled near a point where the Turkey creek empties into the 'Botna river, and improved a large tract of land there. J. M. and Eli were born in Ohio; the other brothers in Indiana.
Joseph Everly, was murdered on the public road, about two miles and a half northeast of Lewis, in 1863 or 1864.
Among the school teachers in the county in 1858, were the following named persons: Adela Page, John C. Northup, Wm. Waddell, Wm. Newlon, Ellen Lorah, D. G. Wooster, Peter W. Nisley, A. L. Macomber, Belle Johnson, and Emily Cole.
George Magee located on his present farm in Franklin township, in 1856, coming from Philadelphia.
When Wm. Worth located in Washington township in 1858, the other residents of the township were few.
J. B. McDermott and Henry McDermott, settled in what is now Benton township, in 1857. They came from Ohio. D. G. Wooster, who still resides in the township, was one of the pioneer school teachers. At a very early day he taught school in a cabin in Morrison's Grove near the present town of Anita.
The eldest settler in Victoria township is Thomas Tate. The other early settlers are Wm. E. Johnson, -- Simons, Lemuel Jones, R. Hudspeth, J. G. Sholes.
Andrew T. Trimmer has lived in Lincoln township longer than any other resident now in it, having located where he now lives in 1869. C. M. Felt and W. S. Sherman, came in the winter of 1870. Jacob Gantt, lived there ten years ago, but is now dead. Wm. Thompson lived in the township about the time Gantt came there, but went to Arkansas in 1875. Williard Talbott, who located in the township in 1868, is dead. The first election was held in 1870, at which nine votes were polled. The first school house was built in 1872; now there are nine. The first religious services were held in the township in 1872, by Rev. C. P. West, Universalist.
Mrs. Eunice Gant is a native of Indiana, and settled in this county in 1858.
Rev. W. F. Arnold came from Ashtabula county, Ohio, in the Spring of 1855, and has been engaged in laboring among and strengthening new and feeble Baptist organizations ever since.
Perry Disbrow, whose age is 63, was born in Schoharrie county, New York, in 1855, and came to Lewis with his family, from Lorraine county, Ohio, in May 1857.
K. T. Murdock, is a native of Indiana and came to the county in 1854, with Thomas B. Johnson and Jeremiah B. Johnson. Mr. Murdock improved the farm now owned by Chris Shuart.
Henry Bappy, who continues to reside in the county, came here from Indiana, in 1854.
E. O Hoyt, was born in Addison county, Vermont, in 1825. His father came west in 1848, settling near Ft. Wayne, Indiana. He lived a short time in Illinois, coming to Cass county in June, 1857, where he has since resided, excepting three years and a half passed in Council Bluffs during the war. He first settled on the farm 3 1/2 miles northeast of Atlantic, known as the "Hoyt place." At the starting of Atlantic, Mr. Hoyt came and engaged in the saddle and leather business, in which business he continues.
Benton and Clinton Morrow came to the county in 1858, and bought three hundred and sixty acres of land---one hundred and sixty of which now comprises the Cass county fair grounds, Dickerson's Addition to Atlantic, etc. They bought of Ebenezer Craig, of Lexington, Ohio, and paid about four dollars per acre. They sold it in 1870. The Morrow brothers, in an early day, drove stage from Des Moines to Council Bluffs.
Edwin Lowe, who now resides in Pymosa township, came to the county, quite a young man in 1856. He served faithfully and loyally during the war for the Union, in the 23d Iowa Infantry, and after being honorably discharged, come back to the old "stamping ground."
William, Peter, James and Joseph Hopley, came with their mother, Mrs. Frances Hopley, from Lee county, Iowa, to Cass, in 1857. They are natives of England. John Hopley did not locate here until later.
Albert Wakefield is a native of Maine, and came to this county in 1853. He was one of the pioneer teachers of the county In 1855 he built a water mill on Turkey Creek, not far from Grove City. He run the mill until 1862, when it was allowed to decay. G. W. W. Wakefield is also of Maine, and located in this county in 1853.
From the History of Cass County, Iowa Together With Brief Mention of Old Settlers
by Lafe Young, Atlantic, Iowa: Telegraph Steam Printing House, 1877, pp. 98-100.
Transcribed for Cass County by Cheryl Siebrass.