The First Presbyterian church society, of Waverly, was organized September 15, 1856, with a total number of six members. For a time services were held in the stone school house, then in Union Hall, situated on the north side of East Bremer Avenue.
In 1866 the congregation erected a brick church building in the block north of the present Catholic church. It cost about $2000. The first pastor was the Rev. J. D. Caldwell. He was followed by the Rev. J. D. Smalley, who served until 1867. The society has gone out of existence, and the church building has been torn down.
Last updated 4/9/16
|Return to Pioneer Life Table of Contents||Next|