METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
The first church society was that of the Methodist Episcopal, organized either in 1854 or 1855, it is not definitely settled which. Rev. J. Burleigh was the first pastor in charge. Services were held at first in pivate homes, then at school houses, and afterward at the Court House, until the present church edifice was built. It was commenced in 1866, and completed and dedicated January 12, 1868. The total cost of the building was $11,000. At different times the church has been remodeled, and at present is a fine modern church, with all the attendant features of a present-day structure.
About the year 1887 a parsonage was built at a cost slightly over $2000. There is a flourishing Sunday school and the usual societies in connection with the church.
Last updated 4/9/16
|Return to Pioneer Life Table of Contents||Next|