BRIEF ACCOUNT OF THE FIRST SETTLEMENT AND ORGANIZATION OF THE VARIOUS TOWNSHIPS
LE ROY TOWNSHIP
This township was originally about one-half covered with timber, but the most of this has been cut away, giving place to fine farms, improved with good substantial buildings.
The first settlement was made by Patrick O'Day, in June, 1854. He located on Section 2. W. A. Moulton, Emmor Flood and Nelson Long located on Section 13.
In September, 1854, J. N. Fowle, Nathaniel Perry, D. C. Thompson, Stephen Parkhurst and John Parkhurst, and later in the fall Abram Watenpaugh, Robert Brodie, A. S. Funston, Patrick Griffin, Isaac Gard, James Wilson, Peter H. Wilson, Adam Broadie, Joseph Carter and H. C. Moore settled in different parts of the township. John Bingham came in the spring of 1855, and E. Watenpaugh came either the same year or in 1856.
The first marriage in that township was J. N. Fowle to Miss Nannie Page.
The first birth was a son to Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Guard, in January, 1855. The second person born in the township was Hattie O'Day, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Patri& O'Day, in April, 1855.
The first death was that of Mrs. Isaac Guard, in January, 1855.
The first school taught in the township was by Mrs. Perkins, of Waverly, in District No. 1. The school closed suddenly at the end of the second week. The number of pupils in attendance was eight.
The first postoffice was Le Roy, and Daniel Hatch was the first postmaster.
The first sawmill was built by J. N. Fowle and others, and was in operation in 1855. Another sawmill was in operation soon after- ward at "Pin Hook" and was built by Thomas and William Riley.
The first school house was built in 1856, on Section 13.
The first store was at Le Roy, the next two at "Pin Hook."
The first blacksmith shop was opened by Adam Broadie.
The first religious services were held at a school house on Section 13, by the Methodists.
St. Mary's Catholic church was established in 1869, on Section 13.
St. John's German Lutheran church was organized in 1875, and the society erected a building in 1879.
Bremer Center Class, United Brethren, was organized during the summer of 1857, by the Rev. B. Allen. It has had a quite wide influence for good.
Le Roy township was organized July 27, 1858.
Bremer Center was located on land belonging to W. A. Moulton, who caused the village to be platted in 1857. A store was opened by Mr. Pratt, but was soon closed. Another store was opened by Hatch & Sweet, who remained in business about two years.
The first election was held at the house of J. N. Fowle, April 22, 1855. The following officers were elected: Trustees, A. J. Parkhurst, A. Watenpaugh, and A. L. Stevenson; clerk, J. S. Parkhurst; justices, J. N. Fowle and J. N. Bemis; constables, J. N. Parkhurst and A. L. Stevenson.
Le Roy township is settled by a very good and enterprising class of farmers.
Last updated 4/9/16
|Return to Pioneer Life Table of Contents||Next|