[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Pvt. Hans H. Larson (1896-1918)


Posted By: Dorian Myhre (email)
Date: 5/25/2017 at 23:56:43

From Nevada Evening Journal December 9, 1918 (front page)



Pvt. Hans H. Larson of this city died Saturday morning at an army hospital at Fort Douglas, Utah death being caused pneumonia which followed influenza. He had been ill for a couple of weeks but was getting better until the middle of the week when his bride of a few months received word that he was worse and started on Thursday for his bedside. It is thought that she may have reached there before he died.

Hans H. Larson was a son of Rasmus Larson and was sent from here to Fort Douglas, Utah as a limited service man and was assigned to the medical corps. Larson had at first been sent to Camp Dodge but was rejected there because of physical disability and was later sent as a limited service man.

Shortly before entering the service he was united in marriage to Miss Helen Abbott of this city.

From Nevada Evening Journal December 11, 1918 (front page)



The body of Pvt. Hans. H. Larson who died at Fort Douglas, Utah, Saturday morning at 4:30, arrived here this forenoon accompanied by his bride of a few months and the funeral service, such as the circumstances will permit, will be held at the grave in the Nevada cemetery Thursday afternoon at 2:30.

Larson was taken ill on Monday afternoon and grew very rapidly worse until his condition became critical and his wife was notified at Boone. She left at once to the camp and arrived there Friday afternoon and was with him from that time until he died the following morning. Pneumonia was the cause of death.

Pvt. Larson was first sent from here to Camp Dodge early last year but was sent back from there because of some physical disability and was sent to Fort Riley, Kan. on September 8, the fourth day after he had been united in marriage to Miss Helen Abbott of this city a Boone, which had occurred on August 31. He was sent to Fort Riley as a limited service man and was sent on to Fort Douglas on about the fist of November and there he remained until he was taken ill and sent to the hospital, where he answered to the call of "taps" on December 7 at 4:30 in the morning. At Fort Douglas he was assigned to the medical corps.

Hans H. Larson was a son of Mr. Rasmus Larson of this city being born on a farm near here on March 31, 1896. His mother died some years ago and Hans leaves besides his young bride, his father Rasmus Larson, his brothers Andrew, Albert and Arthur, his sisters, Mrs. Peter Farni of Boone, Mrs. Howard Farni of Mason City and Irene Larson, who is at home.

Pvt. Larson was young man of very excellent character and was well and very favorably known among a wide circle of friends in and around the city with whom he had been thrown in contact during his long life in the community.

The bride, the father and brothers and sisters will receive the sympathy of the people of the community.

There was a military funeral for the soldier at the Fort and the body was accompanied from the Fort to the station by a military escort consisting of his captain and other officer from his company as well as a guard of privates.

While the health regulations will permit of no public funeral here, it is probable that there will be soldiers for pallbearers and the burial be of a semimilitary nature.


Story Obituaries maintained by Mark Christian.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]