[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

NEESSEN, George 1870-1944


Posted By: Tammy (email)
Date: 1/28/2015 at 14:51:43

George Neessen Is Dead After A Long Illness

George Neessen, a long time and well known resident of Shiloh township, died at his home in Wellsburg at 6:30 Saturday morning following an illness of more than a year. He was afflicted with high blood pressure and kidney trouble. He had been confined to his home continually for several months. He would have been 74 years old if he had lived until the 11th of next November.

Mr. Neessen was born in Holtland, Ostfriesland, Germany. In 1881, with his father and two brothers he came to America. The family came directly to Grundy county where an older brother, Tom, and an older sister, later Mrs. J. C. Doyen, came here the year before. The family moved on a farm in Colfax township. The mother had died in Germany a few years before the family came to America.

In 1894 George Neessen and Gertie Peters were married. For a few years they resided in Wellsburg where George formed a partnership with his brother Henry in the lumber business. After he sold his interest in the lumber business he bought a farm a half mile north of the Colfax Presbyterian church where the family lived for several years. They resided on the farm only a few years, when he sold the farm and the family moved back to Wellsburg and for a number of years he was engaged in the lumber business with his brother-in-law, Henry Dudden. He retired from the lumber business about 30 years ago.

Mr. and Mrs. Neessen had four children. One son died in 1919. The other three children together with the mother, survive. The children are Heiko G., Mrs. Rieke Ross and Mrs. Albert Nederhoff, all of whom live in this vicinity.

Mr. Neessen is the last of the family who came to America from Germany.

Funeral services were held at the Reformed church in Wellsburg Wednesday afternoon. Owing to the absence of the regular pastor, Rev. Landsiedel, Rev. J. E. Drake from Cedar Falls conducted the funeral service. Burial was in the cemetery adjoining the church.

--The Grundy Register (Grundy Center, Iowa), 1 June 1944, pg 9


Grundy Obituaries maintained by Tammy D. Mount.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]