MEYER, Claska 1861-1956
Posted By: Tammy (email)
Date: 1/28/2015 at 09:14:23
Mrs. Harm Meyer Funeral Saturday, Oldest Resident
Funeral services were held at 12:30 p.m. Saturday in the Siebe H. Meyer home and later in the Wellsburg Reformed Church for Mrs. Harm S. Meyer, one of the oldest residents of Grundy county.
Mrs. Meyer passed away last Wednesday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Fred Getting, of Holland, from the complications of her advanced age.
She was 95 years, five months and 25 days old at the time of her death.
Rev. George C. Poppen was in charge of the funeral service. Interment was in the Wellsburg Reformed cemetery east of the church.
Casket bearers were Harley W. Meyer, Odie W. Meyer, Boyd K. Meyer, Larry C. Meyer, Harvin D. Meyer and Virgil W. Getting. Music was furnished by the men's quartet, composed of Eugene Ruter, Irwin Abels, Marvin Stahl and Alle Murra. Marcella Neessen was the accompanist.
Flower attendants were Miss Hattie Neessen and Mrs. John Heinrich.
Mrs. Harm S. Meyer, nee Claska Eiten, was born March 24, 1861 in Loquard, Ostfriesland, Germany, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Eite L. Eiten. She came to this country with her parents.
On April 8, 1881 she was united in marriage to Harm S. Meyer in Shiloh township, where Mrs. Meyer was to spend the remainder of her life.
The family lived 28 years on a farm east of Wellsburg, and later moved to a home one block south of the Reformed Church, of which Mrs. Meyer was a faithful member. When her health began to deteriorate, she spent her remaining weeks under the care of her daughter and family.
Surviving are Mrs. Getting and four sons, Siebe, northwest of Wellsburg, and Ed, Lubert and Harm, all of Wellsburg; 26 grandchildren, 36 great-grandchildren, and four great-great-grandchildren and three by adoption, as well as other relatives and many friends.
Mrs. Meyer was preceded in death by her husband, who died June 17, 1936; sons, George H. Meyer (July 14, 1928) and W. H. Meyer (February 9, 1949) and an infant son; one daughter, Mrs. Gus Siefken (October 6, 1944).
--The Grundy Register (Grundy Center, Iowa), 27 September 1956, pg 11
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen