NEESSEN, Mary 1846-1913
Posted By: Tammy (email)
Date: 8/7/2014 at 14:25:40
A Pioneer Laid To Rest
The remains of the late Mrs. T. W. Neessen were laid to rest in the cemetery at the Rev. Hoefker church west of town Friday afternoon. Rev. Hoefker had charge of the services. He was assisted by Rev. Theilken. The first service was at the house at one o'clock and later at the church. An unusually large number of friends attended the two services to pay their last tribute of respect to one who during her long residence here won a warm place in the affection of the many who learned to know her.
Mrs. Neessen was one of the pioneer settlers in this section of Iowa. She and her husband shortly after their marriage came to Steamboat Rock in the year 1867. That was forty-six years ago and all of those years were spent in this section of Iowa.
Mrs. Neessen's maiden name was Mary Roos. She was born in Terschelling, Holland in 1846 and when she was nineteen years old she came to America and located at Ridot, Ill. Two years later in 1867 she was married to Thomas W. Neessen and shortly after that time Mr. and Mrs. Neessen came to Steamboat Rock where they lived until Mr. Neessen's death four years ago. Two years ago Mrs. Neessen moved to Wellsburg and this was her home up to the time of her death.
Mrs. Neessen was the mother of nine children, six of whom are still living. The surviving children are Walter T. of Wellsburg, Arthur and Louis from Vesta, Minn., Mrs. Jennie Reeves from Arlington, S.D. and Helen and Mary Neessen of Wellsburg. There are two surviving brothers and two surviving sisters.
Relatives from abroad who were present at the funeral were Arthur and Louis Neessen from Vesta, Minn., Mrs. Reeves from Arlington, S.D., Miss Helen Boyd from Ackley, A. A. Roos from Hull, Iowa and Arend Roos from Orange City, Iowa. The latter two are brothers.
--The Grundy Democrat (Grundy Center, Iowa), 6 March 1913, pg 1
Grundy Obituaries maintained by Tammy D. Mount.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen