[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BOCKES, Howard 1869-1888


Posted By: Tammy (email)
Date: 1/7/2011 at 22:59:38

Howard Clinton, son of Mary and Samuel Bockes, died at his home in southwestern Palermo, Monday, Feb. 13th. Age, eighteen years, four months and two days.

Howard was a strong, hearty boy, just reaching the prime of youth, and being called so suddenly from his happy home is a terrible blow to the family and will be felt by the young people of the entire community. He had been troubled two weeks previous to his death with the ear ache, and for several days, pus, in a thin form, escaped from his right ear, which was supposed to come from a bruise on the head, caused by a fall which he received a short time before the pains were first felt. On Thursday previous to his death he was feeling quite well. His ear had stopped running and his head was free from pain. He was out doors most of the day and helped with the evening chores. Working in the barn he accidentally bumped his head against a post, but it hurt him only a few minutes and he kept on at his work. Feeling so well he went to church Thursday night, and woke up Friday morning with a head ache. The pain in his head did not cease, and Saturday Dr. Penfield was called. The doctor said the pains came from a bruise and left some medicine, thinking he would be all right in a few days. He ate breakfast with the family Sunday morning as usual. About eleven o'clock he complained of feeling very bad, and laid down on the bed. In a very few minutes he was unconscious. Dr. Penfield was immediately summoned, and on arriving done all in his power to relieve the sufferer, but to no avail, and at three o'clock he seemed to be dying, but finally revived, and Dr. Crouse was called for consultation. The doctors met and pronounced the case a very hopeless one. The bruise on the head had caused a gathering of pus on the brain and unless this broke and escaped through the ears there was no possible chance of recovery. There was no visible change from Sunday evening until four o'clock Monday afternoon, at which time he began to grow weaker, the tongue became stiff and he ceased to speak. Dr. Penfield held the hand of the dying boy and watched the slow and gradual decreasing pulse. At 9:30 o'clock he pronounced life extinct.

Howard was a boy of many friends, liked and esteemed by all who knew him, and will be sadly missed by his many friends of Alice and vicinity. The bereaved parents have the sympathy of the entire community. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Sherbon at the Alice church, Wednesday, Feb. 15th. The remains were deposited in the Alice cemetery, borne to their last resting place by the hands of those who a few days before had romped in the old school house with the one that then lay cold and stiff. Yes, Howard is gone; but the kind words and pleasant smiles of the good natured one will long be remembered by his young associates. And may we, his young friends, so live that we may meet him in the better world, where his smiles will be sweeter, far, and last forever.


Grundy Obituaries maintained by Tammy D. Mount.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]