[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Arthur Boyd Tendal 1913-1927


Posted By: Merllene Andre Bendixen (email)
Date: 3/25/2014 at 23:33:53

Arthur Tindal [Tendal] Drowns in Spirit Lake
Swam Out in Lake
He Probably Cramped. Body Found Soon
Arthur Tindal, another Estherville lad of fifteen, lost his life Monday [July 18, 1927] night in the waters of Spirit Lake. The body was recovered within a few minutes. Medical attention was had within a short time after he was taken from the water but to no avail.

Rev. Mathre, of the Lutheran church here, has a club of boys in the church. They are all of about this age. He decided to take them to the lake for a couple of days outing. They left here on Monday afternoon for Spirit Lake. It had been decided beforehand they would camp on the Jones farm just south of Stony Point.

The boys had secured a tent from Theodore Myhre and he went with them to put it up. The boys had their supper and Arthur Tindall and one of the other lads slipped out for a swim. Rev. Mathre missed them. It was getting close to dusk and he went to the shore and called them in. They were returning to shore when Arthur went down. Just what happened to him is not known. He may have had a cramp, or it may have been heart trouble. He was soon recovered from the water. Two doctors were soon there but nothing could be done for him. He was taken to Spirit Lake and later in the night Chas. Anderson went to the lakes and returned with the remains.

It is certainly a sad affair and the loss is felt greatly by the father as the boy’s mother passed away not many months ago. Rev. Mathre also has the sympathy of the public as the loss of the boy from his boys is a great weight upon him.

Arthur Tindal was born on February the third, 1913, and has resided here since his birth. The funeral services will be held on Thursday from the Lutheran church. The Rev. Mathre and Hanson of Wallingford officiating. The remains will be laid beside those of his mother in Oak Hill [Norwegian] cemetery. (Estherville Enterprise, Estherville, IA, July 20, 1927)

Drowning Take Arthur Tindal’s Life on Monday
Drowns While Swimming at Spirit Lake With Club Boys on Camping Party for Night
Arthur Tindal, fourteen year old son of Steen Tindal, Rock Island employee, drowned at 7:30 Monday evening while he and nine other boys were swimming at Red nose point near the boy scout’s camp grounds on the east shore of Spirit Lake.

Arthur was one of ten members of the boys’ club of the Lutheran church who had gone to Spirit Lake Monday afternoon to camp for the nigh. They were chaperoned by Rev. L.A. Mathre who took part of them in his car. Theo. C. Myhre also took a load of the boys and furnished the tent they were to use for the night. Myhre, however, retuned in the afternoon.

The boys went swimming a little before 7:30, after having waited, at the warning of Rev. Mathre, a considerable time after their heavy picnic supper. Shortly after they entered the water, Arthur, who was a good swimmer and had gone out into the deep water with another of the boys who could swim better than the rest, went down. Cramps are believed to have been the cause. He called for help and started for the shore.

He was rescued within twenty minutes by men from the boat house. Two doctors were rushed to the scene and a pulmotor was obtained from Camp Foster at Okoboji by Dale Taylor who started with Rev. Mathre’s car immediately after Tindal went down. All resuscitative means and efforts proved futile.

The body was brought to the Mahlum-Anderson undertaking parlors here.

The party of boys and Rev. Mathre returned Monday night instead of camping over night as planned.

He is survived by his father, Steen Tindal, by his sisters Gladys and Lillian and by Severt and Leonard, brothers.

Funeral services will be held Thursday afternoon at the Lutheran church. (Estherville Democrat, Estherville, IA, July 20, 1927)

Estherville Boy is Drowned at Spirit Lake
Arthur Tindal Was With Boys’ Club on Outing
Taken With Cramps Swimming in Shallow Water – Body Found Shortly
Another Estherville youth is the victim of drowning. Arthur Tindal, 14 years old, son of Sten Tindal, bridge carpenter on the Rock Island, lost his life in Spirit Lake Monday evening at about seven thirty. Arthur, with ten other boys, members of a club of the Estherville Lutheran church and accompanied by Rev. L.A. Mathre, pastor of the church, went to the lake to spend the night. They were camping at Red Nose Point, which is close to the old Boy Scout camping ground on the east shore of Spirit Lake about three miles from Orleans.

All the boys went in bathing. Arthur was the best swimmer of the group but was swimming in water not over his head when he was taken with cramps and went down before aid could reach him. One of his companions swam out to him but could not keep him up. The body was recovered in less than fifteen minutes and first aid was given and in a short time two doctors were working with him but he failed to respond.

The tragedy was a great shock to the family and those close to them and the other entire community. Arthur was a quiet youth of the best habits. He was dearly love by all associated with him. His mother died two years ago. There is an older sister Gladys, and a younger one Lillian, as well as two small brothers Sigvart and Leonard, aged eleven and six. (Vindicator and Republican, Estherville, IA, July 20, 1927)


Emmet Obituaries maintained by Lynn Diemer-Mathews.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]