[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Anna Lottie Turner Morton 1890-1918


Posted By: Merllene Andre Bendixen (email)
Date: 4/24/2011 at 23:08:06

Mrs. T. Morton Dies in East
Was With Her Husband Who is in Medical Service In Camp New York City
Died of Double Pneumonia
Mother, Mrs. W. E. Turner, Did Not Reach Her at Time of Death. Remains Arrive Today
Notice came last Saturday to Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Turner of the death of their daughter, Mrs. Anna Morton, wife of Dr. Taylor Morton of this city. Mr. and Mrs. Morton, it will be remembered were here but a few years ago members of the high school of this city. After graduation they both entered the University of Iowa City. After finishing her course Mrs. Morton taught school for a year and after the graduation of the Doctor they were united in marriage. The Doctor then entered the service of his country and the couple left for New York City where they have since resided awaiting the time when the Doctor would be called to France. Mrs. Morton became afflicted with the Spanish Influenza and in a very few hours she was afflicted with double pneumonia and life lasted but a very short time. The mother left on Saturday evening accompanied by her son Orville. They did not reach New York until after the death which occurred on Sunday. The remains will be brought to this city for burial and it is expected the service will be held on Friday. Hardly had Mrs. Turner left the city than word came from Iowa City that Grace Turner, the youngest daughter, who is a nurse there, was also afflicted with this disease. Word comes now that she is improving. The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Orville Tuner was taken with the disease and the baby was not expected to live over Sunday. Mr. and Mrs. Turner have the heartfelt sympathy of this community in this their hour of trouble. (Estherville Enterprise, Estherville, IA, October 16, 1918)

Death Claims Mrs. T. Morton
Passed Away in New York City of Pneumonia Sunday Afternoon
Was Ill Only Four Days
Body Will Reach Here This Wednesday Evening – Funeral Thursday Afternoon
After an illness of only four days Mrs. Taylor Morton died in New York City of double pneumonia Sunday afternoon. The news was a great shock to her parents, Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Turner of this city and to the community in general for until Saturday no word had been received here of her illness. Saturday morning a telegram stated that she could not live. Sunday afternoon the third telegram announced her passing away at three o’clock that day.

Dr. Taylor Morton was called into service last summer and in July received his commission as first lieutenant in the medical corps. On July 29th he was called to New Haven Connecticut, to take a special course in bacteriology at Yale College. He was accompanied there by his wife who had decided to remain with her husband until he was called overseas. About one month ago she accompanied her husband to New York City, where he was assigned to the Rockefeller Institute. Last week she contracted Spanish influenza which soon developed in to pneumonia of the worst form. Her husband had just been called to Philadelphia but he was notified in time so that he was with his wife when her spirit passed to the God that gave it. Her sister-in-law, Mrs. LeRoy Turner, was also with her during her illness and death and administered to her relief as best she could. Her mother and her brother, Orville, left Saturday for her bedside but the mother was taken ill on the way and had to stop off, and Orville did not reach New York until Monday afternoon. Tuesday they left with her body for Estherville and will reach here this afternoon over the Rock Island.

Definite arrangements have not been made for the funeral but it is thought now that it will be Thursday afternoon at two o’clock.

The subject of this sketch, Miss Annie Lottie Turner was born in Utica, Illinois, February 2, 1890, died October 13, 1918, and hence was 28 years, 8 months and 11 days of age. At the age of eighteen she came from Utica, Illinois, to Estherville, where she resided until July, 1918, when she went with her husband to New Haven, Connecticut. She graduated from the Estherville high school with honors in the class of ’13, and a year later entered the Iowa State University, from which institution she graduated in 1916. She taught school two years in Emmet County and two years in the consolidated school at Rolfe.

December 28th, 1917, she was united in marriage to Dr. Taylor Morton of this county, who was also a graduate of both the collegiate and medical departments of the State University. The war called the doctor to eastern colleges and it was while with him in New York City that Mrs. Morton contracted the disease that caused her death.

Too much cannot be said in praise of this young lady. She was a member of the Baptist church and of the different societies connected with the church. She was a person of high ideals, of many womanly graces, a consolation to her parents and a very devoted wife, and one who would have been a great helpmate in every sense of the word. Her untimely death is a great loss to the afflicted family and to the community in which circumstances would have placed her.

Besides her parents, Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Turner, and her husband, three brothers and two sisters are left to mourn her death: Charles Turner of Eugene, Oregon; Orville, of Estherville; LeRoy, who is Uncle Sam’s navy on the big transport, George Washington; Mrs. Sam Schmiedting of Eugene, Oregon; and Miss Grace Turner, who is studying for a nurse in Iowa City.

The heartfelt sympathy is extended to the families bowed in grief over the death of one so young and so pure. (Vindicator and Republican, Estherville, IA, October 16, 1918)

The funeral of Mrs. Taylor Morton was held last Thursday afternoon from the Baptist church at 2:30 o’clock and was largely attended. In the absence of a Baptist minister, Rev. Torbet of the M.E. church preached the funeral sermon from the text, “Be ye also ready.” He was assisted by Rev. Vorhies of the Presbyterian church. The floral offerings were numerous and very beautiful. (Vindicator and Republican, Estherville, IA, October 23, 1918)

Did Not Have Influenza
Physicians report that Mrs. Taylor Morton did not have the Spanish influenza and it was not that disease that caused her death. It was a case of pneumonia and that alone. It was at first thought that she had an attack of the “Flu” on the start, but a thorough diagnosis disclosed the fact that there were no symptoms of that whatever. (Vindicator and Republican, Estherville, IA, October 23, 1918)


Emmet Obituaries maintained by Lynn Diemer-Mathews.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]