[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Laverne Edwin Minard 1906-1923


Posted By: Merllene Andre Bendixen (email)
Date: 11/13/2010 at 17:32:48

Verne Minard Shoots Self
Young Boy of Sixteen Accidentally Shoots Self on Last Saturday
Bullet Hit Heart
Was with Joe Greenfield at the Time Who Carried Laverne for Some Distance

A terrible accident occurred here on last Saturday afternoon when Vern Minard, the eighteen year old son of Mr. and Mrs. G. E. Minard of this city shot and killed himself while fooling with a revolver.

He and Joe Greenfield had gone up the river to the old swimming hole. He had with him this revolver. After snapping the revolver a couple of times and it not being discharged he put the muzzle of the revolver to his breast and snapped the hammer with his thumb. The gun as usual, which was not supposed to be loaded, had one good shell in it and when it was discharged the bullet entered the boy’s heart. Joe Greenfield picked him up and carried him to the foot of the hill but was not able to carry him further. Verne then asked Joe to run for a doctor. This he did and as soon as aid had been secured he got two other boys to assist him in carrying Verne to a barn nearer the road. The doctor arrived in a few minutes, but Vern died from the effects of the wound very soon after the doctor arrived. The remains were brought to the city and the father, who is working out of Rock Lake, S. Dak., was notified.

This was a very sad accident, but it should be a lesson to the boys of the city to use care while handling firearms. There is always a great danger in handling fire arms and at all times care should be used. Vern Minard was a Junior in the High school. He was a boy with energy, and from we learn of those who have employed him, he was an exceptionally fine lad.

Laverne Edwin Minard was born at Conrad, Iowa, December 27th, 1906 and died at Estherville, Iowa, September 1st, 1923, at the age of 16 years, 8 months and 4 days. He was converted and joined the Christian church at Estherville, Iowa, a year ago last March. He lived with his parents at Conrad, Iowa, for about 8 years, moving from there to Minnesota, where they lived about four years from there to Estherville, Iowa, where he lived until his death which was caused by the accidental explosion of a revolver which he had used while hunting with some friends.

Laverne attended the Estherville High school until last fall and in the early spring went to Conrad, Iowa, where he was employed until Tuesday, August 28th, and arrived home that evening to complete arrangements to attend college at St. Paul the coming winter. Laverne made friends with all whom he met and was highly esteemed by all who knew him. He leaves to mourn his early demise, his father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. G. E. Minard and two sisters, Leona and Enid, a number of near relatives and a host of friends.

Funeral service were held at the Methodist church at 3 o’clock Tuesday, September 4, and interment made in Oak Hill cemetery. Those from out of town in attendance at the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. S. I. Minard, Mr. and Mrs. E. F. Minard, of Conrad, Iowa; Mr. and Mrs. R. D. Minard of St. Paul; Mrs. Rachel Medberry and son, Morton, of Gladbrook, Iowa; Mrs. Chas. Stover and daughter, Dorothy, of Conrad, Iowa, and O.S., W.M. and M.M. Medberry, of Gladbrook, Iowa. (Estherville Enterprise, Estherville, IA, September 5, 1923)

Gun Accident Results in Boy’s Death
Laverne Minard in Fun Shoots Pistol at Self
Main Artery Severed
Tragedy Occurs on Bank of River When Out Hunting With Boy Friend

One of the most distressing accidents that has happened in this city for a long time occurred last Saturday afternoon when Laverne Minard was accidentally shot at his own hands and almost instantly killed.

It seems that he in company with Joe Greenfield was out hunting squirrels in the woods back of the George Pullen home on north Sixth street. Young Minard had a 22-caliber revolver that had been used to start the boat races at Terrace Park.

The boys had stopped along the shore of the Des Moines river. Joe Greenfield sat down by a tree and Laverne Minard was standing near him and shot a couple of times at a clam shell on the opposite side of the river. The next two cartridges did not fire and he, boy fashion, turned the muzzle of the revolver towards himself pointing it just below his heart. He pulled the trigger and the cartridge exploded and the bullet entered his body. He staggered but did not fall. He started towards home and went a short distance when he fell. Joe Greenfield carried him as far as he was able and then started to drag him along. He went some distance when he called for help and two other boys that happened along the nearby street in a car, came to his assistance and with their combined efforts managed to get the wounded boy to the home of Mr. Pullen. Dr. Sathe and Dr. Birney were called, but nothing could be done and he died soon after the doctors reached the home. The bullet had severed the main artery just below his heart.

The coroner, Dr. Knipe, of Armstrong, was called and he pronounced death accidental and from his own hands.

The victim of this terrible tragedy was sixteen years of age and the only son of Mr. and Mrs. Guy E. Minard, living on north Seventh street, near the job shop of Vance Noe. He was a very industrious and manly boy and had many friends among his associates. He was a student in high school and out of school had been employed as bell boy at the Gardston Hotel. (Vindicator and Republican, Estherville, IA, September 5, 1923)

Young Man Accidentally Shot Saturday
Thought Gun Was Empty and Pointed It Toward Himself
Died Almost Instantly
Laverne Minard Out Shooting
Pulled Trigger Wrong Time – Bullet Through Heart

A sad accident took place on the river bank west of the Geo. Pullen place on north Sixth street Saturday afternoon resulting in the death of Laverne Minard, son of Mr. and Mrs. Guy Minard residing on Seventh street just east of the Park. It seems Laverne and Joe Greenfield with a twenty-two caliber revolver went to the river bank to shoot at a mark. They shot several times and pulled the trigger a couple of times more and it did not fire. Laverne stood talking to Joe and at the same time swinging the revolver carelessly with his right hand. He stopped for a moment and took a look at the gun pointed toward himself with his thumb on the trigger. He pressed a little hard and the gun fired, the bullet passing through his heart. He dropped the gun and started to run and scream for help. Joe started after him and overtook him as he fell in a heap less than fifty feet away. He was still conscious and Joe assisted him to his feet and started toward the Pullen house to summon medial assistance but they had not gone far when he fell to the ground and Joe could not carry him. After finding a telephone and calling a doctor he then summoned help and Laverne was carried to the Pullen hoe and the doctor was there when they arrived but Laverne had passed away. Laverne was seventeen years of age and had been a resident of Estherville for several years. He was a boy loved by his friends and schoolmates. His father is a fireman on the Rock Island but at the time of the accident was employed with a threshing crew in South Dakota. He was immediately notified of the accident and arrived home Monday afternoon and funeral services were held yesterday. It was a sad accident and one that has cast a gloom over our entire city. Laverne was very popular with his associates and they all join in expressions of sympathy to the bereaved parents.

Funeral services were held at the Methodist church at 3 o’clock Tuesday afternoon and interment in Oak Hill cemetery. (Estherville Democrat, Estherville, IA, September 5, 1923)


Emmet Obituaries maintained by Lynn Diemer-Mathews.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]